Is Auburn About To Get Nailed?

supercama

When Mike Slive kicked off the SEC media day today, a few reporters found it suspicious that he didn’t make much out of Auburn’s most recent national championship.  Could it have to do with a recent development in the Cam Newton case?  Sure, why not.

Earlier today, Danny Sheridan of the USA Today went on the radio with Paul Finebaum and revealed that the NCAA is definitely still looking in to the rumors that Cam Newton was for sale – and they may have found something.  Sheridan kind of went back and forth on the schools involvement throughout the interview, but the main point that came out of it is that according to his source, the NCAA believes they have found the ‘bag man,’ in the Cam Newton case.  In other words, the third party that contributed the money to Cecil Newton and his church.

Team Speed Kills had a write up on the interview, and highlighted a few of the key quotes:

This is a direct quote: “They’re trying to get a third person, allegedly the bag man, to step forward, and if he steps forward, it’ll be a bad situation. But I don’t know that he will step forward. I don’t know if they have any evidence. I don’t want you to misquote me.” This “third party/bag man” would be someone doing the work so the someone else’s fingerprints are not on the transaction. This third party is not a “rogue alumni”.

Sheridan’s sources at the NCAA are “25 years old” (as in, he’s had a sources there that long; it’s not a twentysomething feeding him info) and have never mislead him. There are also 15 other schools being looked at, but he will not name them. They feel money changed hands in the Newton case, but if it can’t be proven, the case “will be dropped in probably three-to-six months.” Sheridan is not aware of any ongoing investigation of Mississippi State.

Sheridan closes by saying the “they [the NCAA] think they know the third party, and they think they know the party that put up the money.” That means the NCAA is looking at two entities here: someone who allegedly financed this alleged deal and someone who allegedly carried out this alleged deal. If the NCAA can remove the four “allegedly” instances out of that statement, Auburn’s in deep trouble.

As damaging as this sounds, it bears repeating that one journalist saying one source believes the NCAA may have found a man doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s true.  Until hard evidence is produced, you can’t assume anything one way or the other.  But if I’m an Auburn fan, I can’t wait until the new season starts so I can have a healthy distraction.

And I’m also starting to sweat a little.

Article written by Will Lentz

35 Comments for Is Auburn About To Get Nailed?

1. HEHATEME
    8:09 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

phirst

2. G-Man
    8:13 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

IMO the NCAA has had the goods on Auburn since before the title game. NCAA wanted to profit off of the the game and needed Auburn. Now that the money has been made and some waiting time the NCAA will kill Auburn. NCAA makes me sick. It’s all about the $$$$.

3. FlashOfBlue
    8:14 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

Auburn be breaking bread….

4. tdogg4033011
    8:17 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

2) I’d say you are prolly right

5. mocha
    8:28 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

Any news on Jai Lucas?

6. DEAN
    8:30 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

Let’s say the Ncaa has found the third party suspect. At this point, what leverage does the Ncaa have to persuade the money man to spill the beans? Are there federal or state law implications? If not, I just don’t see how the Ncaa could expect to get anything out of money man.

Attorney’s enlighten me please.

7. PatPattersonISWalkingThruThatDoor
    8:32 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

Can the BCS schools secede and start a new league? NCAA is about as useful as a condom at an LDS youth camp.

8. wackityschmackitydoo
    8:33 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

NCAA: Hammering Nails With a Floppy Hammer Since Ever.

9. PatPattersonISWalkingThruThatDoor
    8:34 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

(6) Yes, there are federal implications here. All of this was unearthed because of FBI wiretaps aimed at targets that were participating in things besides buying players for Auburn.

10. whodatcat ?
    8:37 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming, the NCAA got the game they wanted (anyone think they wanted a TCU-Oregon game)now Auburn may be in trouble?. If Auburn has to vacate then all the money the NCAA took in should be refunded, they knew the Newton case stunk. You think they didnt know they would punish Auburn later ? Ohio State ? To much money to be made by the NCAA, same damn thing. That orginization is more corrupt than any one program will ever be.

11. Cats!!!
    8:37 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

FYI, Sheridan is an Alabama alum, too.

12. Odd Man Out!!
    8:40 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

I’ll agree with #2…NCAA had the info as far back as the NCAA Championship but needed to cash in before they would do anything. As stated, enough time has past and Auburn will now be taken down by the NCAA.

It’s BS to say the least and shows the NCAA is not about the “student athelete”, rather they are all about the mighty $$$!

I’d say it’s time to start looking at the alternate league talked about on here and by Coach Cal (I think that’s where it all started?)…and not because he’s the UK coach but because it makes sense at this time with all the ups and downs the NCAA has been showing over the last couple years.

They are a complete joke to say the least!

13. DEAN
    8:45 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

(9)

I understand that. But the act itself: Giving money to Cecil Newton which he used in/on his church (and who knows what else)…where is the illegality there? Just asking because I’m ignorant on money transactions/federal law etc. No maybe if the money man can be implicated in the broader scheme of things which concern the FBI then I can see why he would sing like a rabbit.

14. Westcoastjoe
    8:53 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

Logic like this is why Casey Anthony is free

15. Catlanta
    9:00 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

Based on the NCAA’s performance will ANY team be able to when another championship? Perhaps the BCS will automatically put a disclaimer next to each year’s winner “*Champion to be confirmed after delayed full investigation by NCAA.” Or maybe the NCAA can have a championship show of there own at the conclusion of the game to announce their upcoming investigation of the winning team. Just a thought.

16. Secede? Yes.
    9:10 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

Programs can leave the NCAA at any time. In fact they are the only reason there IS an NCAA. If the major conferences seceded together, they could easily keep making the money that they are making within a very short time.

17. echo 1
    9:13 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

Something tells me the bag man is going to get a lot of cash to keep his mouth shut. I’m not saying from who, but I’m just sayin. This bag man should get an agent.

18. PatPattersonISWalkingThruThatDoor
    9:22 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

The FBI was investigating an Auburn booster (McGregor) who owns a dog track and was allegedly bribing Alabama politicians in order to make the state more gambling-friendly. in the process of investigating via wiretaps, the FBI overheard conversations regarding the Cam Newton situation.

19. Big Blue 66
    9:25 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

Of course Emmert thinks the bag man is none other that UK head coach John Calipari

20. The Bagman
    9:26 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

This day has been awful for me, first Tiger fired me, now this.

21. SexnNursinHomes
    9:39 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

18- I had no idea it played out like that. wow some people are idiots talk about their business to get caught on a wire. fools. hope $cam goes down

22. Hoss
    9:43 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

18- so, like, I mean, shouldn’t the fact that an AU booster mentioned money and the name “Newton” together (via wire tap) before the Cam Newton scandal had even broken implicate AU in some way?

Does the FBI/NCAA just consider this McGregor guy to be clairvoyant?

23. MARK HAMILTON JR.
    9:47 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

DOES THIS CAM NEWTON HAVE A FACEBOOK??!!

24. coldspringmike
    10:01 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

And why are you sweatin Lentz ?

25. Every Friday Is No Bra Day
    10:35 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

14, any criminal lawyer that doesn’t have a teevee show will tell you that the casey anthony verdict was correct. plus new today is a report the the prosecutor withheld exculpatory evidence. even if the verdict had been guilty, the prosecutor illegally withholding that evidence would have resulted in a mistrial.

Back to the NCAA bashing….

26. at Work
    10:59 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

24 — I agree. Are you an Auburn fan or something?

27. Psigoglin
    11:03 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

24- I think that ‘sweatin” was a continuation of what he would be doing “if he were an Auburn fan”.

28. PillowTalk
    11:33 pm July 20, 2011 Permalink

The NCAA hates the sec.

29. Kampaign
    2:05 am July 21, 2011 Permalink

Im an Auburn fan and student. I’ll tell you like this. No one at Auburn truly cares guys. I mean, Auburn is a solid program but not a perennial powerhouse. We won a championship and that’s that. Regardless of whether Newton was paid or not becomes irrelevant because on January 10th, 2011 the Auburn Tigers were crowned national champions. End of story. Even if you take that out of the books, you cant take away the team, Cam, or all those 90,000 people who stood in the stands every saturday and watched an amazing, improbable run. For proof: see USC Trojans 2004

30. bluetooth
    2:59 am July 21, 2011 Permalink

at what point does the fbi share information from a federal wiretap with the ncaa ? i dont think the ncaa qualifies as a fellow law enforcement agency .

31. bluetooth
    3:03 am July 21, 2011 Permalink

at what point does the fbi share information from a federal wiretap with the ncaa ? i dont think the ncaa qualifies as fellow law enforcement agency .

32. bluesince66
    9:42 am July 21, 2011 Permalink

Seems any evidence the FBI had couldn’t be used if their wire tap was not gained to investigate Newton.

33. “But I don’t know that he will step forward. I don’t know if they have any evidence. I don’t want you to misquote me.”

If there was ever a cover-your-butt qualification, it’s this quote. If you don’t know that there’s any evidence, why are you going on a national (it’s on satellite radio) show saying stuff like this?

Sheridan is an Alabama grad, and his accusation can’t be proven or disproven at this point. If nothing ever comes to light and he’s called on it, obviously he can just say, “But I TOLD you I didn’t know if they had any evidence!” There’s nothing wrong with being a fan of your school and disliking your rival, but everyone down here in Bama knows he hates Auburn and a lot of people (me included) think he’ll use things like this to hurt Auburn’s recruiting even if there’s nothing that can be proven.

34. og68
    10:43 am July 21, 2011 Permalink

Does anyone see any difference in this story and the one you had yesterday regarding the UK Football player(non-scholarship),and his attempt to make a difference??

35. Hoss
    11:27 am July 21, 2011 Permalink

bump so I can read the new comments