Here’s a short interview with Nick Johnson at the Marshall County Hoop Fest. Nick isn’t to the point where he is taking the recruiting situation way too seriously and I tailored my questions around that fact. Basically you can get an idea of where he stands and who he is getting some major attention from. He was injured midway through Findlay Prep’s game and therefore didn’t get to provide too many of his normal highlight reel moves. However, I did get a couple short pieces. Special thanks to Nick for taking time out to sit down with me, to Marshall County High School for putting on a great event and again to Patrick Adamson for his prolific camera work.
I’m finishing up that period at the end of each semester that I look forward to each year: the law school finals. Here’s my tidbit of wisdom for aspiring lawyers or those in law school right now: If you aren’t going to practice tax law, avoid that class at all costs. I like to describe tax law the same way that Drew likes to describe making out with guys: It’s not that hard, it’s just not that fun no matter how much money you might make by doing it.
What I’m basically trying to say is that finals has put me a little behind, therefore I’m going to give you a few links to try to get you caught up on a few of the most recent happenings:
– Kentucky is beginning to show interest in #1 ranked JUCO Ricardo Ratliffe. It’s still in the early stages but he looks like a possible filler for the Cats in the category of versatile front court talent. UL is also targeting Ratliffe. As things heat up more, we’ll look at Ratliffe and his game more intensely. Follow the link for a nice sit down he had with Anthony Wireman.
– 2010 shooting guard Terrence Ross may be having second thoughts on his commitment to Maryland. The rumor mill is saying that it may have something to do with the ever present shoe affiliation. If all the shoe stuff gets on your nerves a bit, you’re not alone. Anyhow, you can expect him to get some attention from Kentucky and for Ross to have some mutual interest but don’t forget that Doron Lamb still sits at the top of the heap when it comes to the 2 guard spot. (HT: Aaron’s UK Basketball Blog)
– A few nice updates come from TheShiver.com. Josh Selby is getting new interest from Cincinnati and Arizona. He may visit Arizona, along with Doron Lamb, the week after his Kentucky official on January 2nd. According to his mother, Maeshon Witherspoon, the visit with Arizona is not yet set in stone and the Cincy deal is still in the very early stages. On a related note, Doron Lamb is also getting some new interest, his coming from West Virginia. Quinn Cook, one of UK’s 2011 point guard targets, is getting some interest from the Jayhawks.
– A nice look at Ryan Boatright. (HT: Aaron)
– 2011 PF Percy Gibson tells GoSpartans.net that he isn’t exactly sure when but he does plan on visiting UK again. If you remember, Gibson is the God-brother of Brandan Kearney, the 2011 prospect that chose Michigan State over Kentucky and others earlier in the fall. The two visited UK together earlier this year. Gibson says that he also plans on visiting USC, Minnesota, Dayton and FIU.
– Lastly, you heard a lot recently about Maurice Harkless choosing Connecticut and also listing Kentucky as a possibility. Possibly for publicity purposes, Harkless chose to list Kentucky or was advised to list Kentucky and as the announcement neared it seemed that some played up the possibility of Harkless choosing the Cats. Harkless didn’t have an offer from Kentucky at the time and hadn’t visited the Cats yet. The point is that you shouldn’t look at this as Kentucky losing a recruit to UConn. Harkless wasn’t a top priority for the Cats, so don’t lose any sleep over that decision.