Info on tonight’s Hurricane Sandy telethon

The Kentucky basketball team is hosting a telethon tonight to raise money for Hurricane Sandy relief in New York.  UK plans to present a check prior to Friday night’s game against Maryland.  Cal said he will auction off signed memorabilia from the Final Four, including pieces of the floor, to go along with the phone donations.

Phone banks will be open from 6:00-9:00 p.m for those interested in contributing.  The telethon can be seen in Lexington live on WKYT from 7:00-8:00 p.m. and then coverage will then switch over to CWKYT from 8:00-9:00 p.m. Members of the UK men’s basketball team will take phone calls and donations from 7:00-9:00 p.m. People wanting to make a donation in the Lexington area can call 859.299.5455 and those outside the Lexington area can call toll free 855.257.2700.

During non-telethon hours, people can call the Red Cross at 859.253.1331 or 800.RED.CROSS.  Additionally, monetary donations can also be taken to any Central Bank location in Lexington.

The special event will also stream live at WKYT.com where donations can also be made for 24 hours beginning at 7:00 p.m. and people can bid on various items that will be auctioned off.

KSR will live blog the entire two hours here on the site. It’ll also be embedded on WKYT.com

One hundred percent of the proceeds will go to the American Red Cross to benefit the victims of the catastrophic storm.

For more information from the Red Cross, contact Winn Stephens at [email protected]

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for Info on tonight’s Hurricane Sandy telethon

1. CatGrad7072
    1:18 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

How about a “Mailbox Relief’ telethon? SI just arrived today-with UL & Peyton Siva on the cover!
    The pressure is starting to mount; any guesses on how soon Pitino blows?

2. Sittin' Bull
    1:21 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

After the election results, I predict this telethon will not go very well. People can’t afford to donate more to others, we’re goin need all we can save for the next 4 years. Cal’s big donor friends will make it a good amount but we’ll not see a repeat of Haiti…

3. Lonnie Bauer
    1:43 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

u know many of those in these states vote against the Lord. the bible says we reap what we sow. As with this election the people spoke to god and said we want Santa claus instead of u. well u they are going to get what they ask for!!! sorry some one has to say.. we can pray and ask the Lord for Mercy but the word says Mercy can say no or it can say yes!

4. Dustin
    1:44 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Any new info or so called sources on UK football search, first time I have been excited about football in almost 2 years.

5. uh
    1:51 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Meh,the Red Cross has proven itself to be fraudulent ever since 9-11 and this particular section of the US that was hit by the hurricane thinks of Kentucky in the vilest of stereotypes. To hell with them.

6. question
    1:54 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Are we sure the folks of NYC and NJ still need help? I mean, after Obama and the media got their photo op with Chris Chirty, I haven’t seen the first “Sandy report” from NBC, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, or CNN. All those networks are based in the NYC area – so, I’m sure if there were still people in need up there those stations would be reporting on it. If there really are people in need and hurting, then I think those networks as well as Obama have some explaining to do. I’m betting Obama will hold a press conference reporting the truth about Bengazi before we will see any more photos of him in the storm damaged Northeast.

7. MemphisCat
    2:03 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Cal is also wanting to do a telethon for the IU basketball program and Tom Crean. The NCAA said the reason they suspended the players 9 games was that to much Peter Jurkin can make you go blind, and Cal wants to raise money for glasses for the IU players and fans.

8. St. Paul Raiders
    2:05 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

As someone born and raised in KY and now living in New York, I’m embarrassed by what I’ve read here. I genuinely feel sorry for the people whose simple mindedness and lack of compassion for anyone outside their comfort zone will never be remedied.

9. derp!
    2:13 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

#9 If you’re so traumatized by comment sections, maybe you should stick with the newspaper grandpa. They must be eating you alive in NYC. lol

10. NOLA
    2:18 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

What happened in NY is as bad as what happened to New Orleans and Biloxi. I know that we are still suffering in NOLA because of Katrina, I’m sure NY will recover a lot quicker then New Orleans did, I appreciated the National support for Katrina and I’m sure NY is getting the same or more for Sandy.

11. St. Paul Raiders
    2:21 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

10- Thanks for living up to the stereotype.

12. derps!
    2:28 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

12-You too princess.

13. Seriously?
    2:39 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

# 6 and everyone. As someone who works for a local non-profit and having a brother who works for the Red Cross, these disaster non-profits are doing more than you could ever dream. There are cold, hungry people in New York who’s lives rely on this help. I would highly encourage everyone to think about if this happened to them and their children. You’re selfish if you don’t donate.

14. uh
    2:46 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

#14 – so now I’m selfish if I dont donate to this ONE cause. Sounds like you and your brother are part of the non-profit corrupt problem. Tryin to bully people into donating. Get a real job.

15. Slim Wallet
    3:08 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Anyone know if there is a minimum amount you can donate?

16. Seriously?
    3:08 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

This ONE cause affected millions and millions of Americans. If you don’t know someone personally who was affected, you need to get out more. You should donate because you have compassion for other human beings, not because I or anyone else guilted you into it. MY JOB is to bring REAL problems to light instead trying to sell you a f*cking car or ask if you want to super-size your meal. There are people out there suffering, and if you have the capacity to help in someway, then do it. If you have any other comments, you can come to the telethon tonight and I’ll be there.

17. Seriously?
    3:13 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

#16… Any amount. You donate at your personal capacity. If that’s $5.00, then that will work. That $5.00 will keep a generator running for an hour in NYC or feed a family dinner. It will make a difference.

18. reality
    3:32 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

Worst night in history to have a telethon. The majority of those that are more likely to give got killed last night by the election. It’s unfortunate but in the real world that is the way it is. With the looming tax increases, charity will be down drastically. Those that actually pay taxes (not get a refund for more than you pay in) will have to come up with quite a bit more come April. This will definitely hurt any and all organizations relying on a donation. Sorry but true!!!

19. ObamatodaRescue
    3:41 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

I realize that Cal is doing this from the heart…But I will be sending or donating nothing. They have their new Re-Elected God Chairman Maobama who will confiscate these funds from us at the point of the IRS gun and will be given to them. They will get OBAMA PHONES, FLAT SCREENS, 99+ WEEKS UNEMPLOYMENT, FREE HEALTHCARE,ETC…the almighty annoited Obama and FEMA can take care of them…why should i donate when i already will be? The good Lord teaches us to be charitable…but i am done…if that damns me to hell so be it. Those folks are getting what they deserve!

20. tree rollins
    4:00 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

New York has the ever important soda tax. They’ll be fine.

21. I Don't Get It
    4:50 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

20- So let me get this straight, because Obama won the election hurricane victims got what they deserved?

22. RealCatsFan
    4:54 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

#1, probably in about 15 seconds, from what I’ve been told.

23. Raazoul
    5:02 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

What’s hilarious and ironic is that the people who vote for the “Help everyone, steal from the rich give to the poor, socialism, spread the wealth” crowd, don’t step up in these situations. The “white guilt” “bleeding heart” folks only give money if it helps them live with themselves. Same reason they vote Democrat. If the news was showing black people on roofs, the money would come in droves. Instead you barely see or hear much about the people affected by Sandy. Why? The assumption is those are rich white people, not poor black. So it doesn’t help you feel good about yourself. Problem is, it looks like those people now number over 50%. Conservative/Americans will never win another election. Just people who promise you other peoples’ money. Pathetic.

24. GiveMeAFrigginBreak
    5:18 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

All I can say is WOW. So this is what it’s all about – Obama won the election, and you all are going to take your ball, go home, and sulk in the basement, huh? What a lame excuse. So you think that your taxes MIGHT go up next year, so you are going to take it out on a group of people who you THINK might have voted for Obama. Kind of reminds me of the gas retailers jacking up the prices because the price of oil MIGHT go up. What a bunch of whining crybabies.

FWIW, I am sure there were plenty of people helping out with tornado relief in Kentucky and Indiana (both red states) who are democrats. I can understand saying that you just don’t have the extra money to donate right now, but to do so out of simple disdain is pretty sad. But you are the one who has to live with yourself. I guess you passed on helping out with the Haiti fundraiser too because they are not republicans.

You know, it’s this type of attitude of non-compromise and hard-headedness (from both the right and the left) that is crippling this country.

25. reality
    6:06 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

25 – just letting everyone in on a little secret. there comes a time when the well gets a little dry. the raises in taxes and other expenses make it more difficult to give to charities. i myself will take care of my family first and foremost and then will give what i can with what’s left over. call me what you will, but i can guarantee that i will give when i can, but i will also be more less likely to give with the environment that we are getting ready to have to deal with. higher taxes, higher inflation and less earnings means less to charity. the elections have guaranteed tougher times for everyone so everyone will feel the pain. not that i don’t care, but i just don’t have the extra i used to have. sorry for being an a** but it is what it is.

26. GiveMeAFrigginBreak
    9:02 pm November 7, 2012 Permalink

26, you are entitled to your opinion. Saying that the elections “guaranteed tougher times” is a bit like the pundits who used to say Cal would never win a championship with one-and-done players. Hopefully the dinks in Washington will compromise in the right areas and get the economy rolling again. Either way, it won’t affect my charity – I gave $100 tonight. Yep, it’s not a ton of money, but it all helps. Hopefully, if I ever need help like that, someone else will be generous enough to help.