Indian Call Center’s Tuesday News and Views

indian-call-centres

I begin tonight’s post by preemptively asking for forgiveness as it has been a while since I have done this whole “night post” thing. With Beisner getting in the car on Tuesday morning to move to Kentucky and Drew Franklin on the way to see Jimmy Buffett, it is left to me to sum up the day’s activities in the best manner possible. We begin with a nod to a phenomenon that has likely frustrated everyone at some point in recent years, the expansion of virtually all phone services to Asian companies. If you have called any major corporation and have asked for anything ranging from help with your computer to information on your Amazon order, chances are that you have dealt with an Asian call center. And if you are like me, you have probably been frustrated by some form of a communication barrier that has left you begging to be transferred to the Boise office instead. While I still find myself wishing to speak to a good old Red, White and Blue voice, I have a new respect for such workers after reading this article about a summer spent working at an Indian Call Center. An American writer spends the summer with Indian Call Center employees, all of whom are competing vigorously for what is considered to be a great job in their country. The writer talks about the various ways they are treated (surprisingly not good) and their living conditions (not great, but better than you might think). It is a great read and part of the KSR Book Club for late August. Enjoy.

Now there isn’t a whole lot of news on the horizon, so we will look at the two main topics of the day:

2012 BASKETBALL RECRUITING:

For the past two weeks, numerous members of the 2012 class have come out with their Top 5 school lists and virtually all the great players have Kentucky near the top. In fact, at this point 13 of the Top 25 players in the 2012 class have listed Kentucky as one of their five favorites. Add to that the fact that players like Robert Carter and Willie Cauley are still actively being recruited by Kentucky and it is clear that UK has many options from which to pick.

What is odd however is that while Kentucky is right there with many kids, the Wildcats are not necessarily the prohibitive favorite for ANY recruit in the 2012 class. Many kids have Kentucky as their top choice, but the Cats either haven’t offered or aren’t recruiting them fully (Ricardo Ledo, Robert Carter). Other kids love Kentucky, but also love another school as well (Dajuan Coleman, Archie Goodwin). Still others are players that Kentucky covets but serious work must be done to move into the top slot (Mitch McGary, Shabazz Muhammed). So at this point, it isn’t clear exactly where Kentucky will go or how the 2012 class will develop.

With that said, Kentucky is going to end up with a top 10, and likely top 5, class. Sheer numbers suggest that they will end up with their fair share of players and once some early players commit, the dominoes will likely fall UK’s way. However who is in that class is anyone’s guess. I was asked today about my guess as to the most likely makeup of the class if I were FORCED to make a prediction today. With that in mind, and admitting up front that these could change tomorrow, I would bet the class would look like this:

1. Ryan Harrow
2. Archie Goodwin
3. Alex Poythress
4. Willie Cauley
5. A wildcard (someone like Dajuan Coleman or Brandon Ashley)
6. Another perimeter shooting specialist, potentially from JUCO

My reason for this list is relatively simple. I think UK takes 5 players this year, operating under the assumption that Marquis Teague, Kyle Witljer, Stacey Poole, Jon Hood and one wildcard (lets say Michael Gilchrist) return. Ryan Harrow is already on campus and Archie Goodwin is the player that I believe is most likely to end up in Blue of the current recruits. Alex Poythress loves Kentucky and the staff has fallen in love with him in the past 2 months. While pulling him away from Duke, Florida and the home state schools will not be easy, I like Kentucky’s chances. Wilie Cauley is a player that most fans don’t realize is as high on Kentucky’s list as he really is. If the Cats ever feel that they won’t get Dajuan Coleman, I think they pull the trigger on Cauley…and they might do it anyway. A lot of players that UK fans covet, the staff doesn’t necessarily feel they are in on in a great way, so Cauley might get an offer quicker than fans believe. And then I still think UK pulls one out of nowhere, a la Kyle Wiltjer last season. The guess here is Brandon Ashley, a kid from the West Coast that might be my favorite player in the class but one that Calipari HAS to get on campus and do work on to make a UK commit. None of these are certain and all may end up incorrect, but it is a good guess to start the process.

FUTURE OF RUPP ARENA:

It hasn’t gotten a ton of play in the media today, but this afternoon in Lexington Mayor Jim Gray and Mitch Barnhart spoke to local media about the Rupp Arena project and the future of Lexington’s most famous building. I was unable to attend due to the tv taping, but Chip Cosby went for CN2 and spoke about the conversation on KSTV. He said that from his perspective, UK and Mitch Barnhart are committed to wanting a new arena in Lexington, and have the belief that the current one will not work for the University’s future. Barnhart noted that the money from the arena has to be used to help fund an entire athletic department and whatever historical significance Rupp Arena may have (and personally, I believe it is very little) is overshadowed by that need. Chip said that Jim Gray seemed a bit more hesitant and is committed to undertaking the 6-8 month “study” process that the city is now engaged in. Gray wants to figure out the effect a new arena will have on downtown and what options the city will have once it is built.

Chip came away from the meeting with the view that in the end, a new arena will be built in Lexington. Cosby said that the wildcard in the entire process is John Calipari and as long as he remains at UK and is able to help in securing funding (whether private or government), the process will move forward. I tend to agree with Chip and today’s meeting suggests that the University is totally in the KSR corner (BUILD, BUILD, BUILD), while the city will end up there eventually.

If you missed the radio show today, listen below as we had:

(a) “I am Bill Lamb and that’s my Point of View!”

(b) Oscar Combs with the hardest trivia question in history

(c) The coolest UK athletes in history

(d) Rex Chapman wonders why do we scream at each other?

(e) Why one might need to undercoat a car

That and much more…until tomorrow’s show at 10 am, here is Jon Hood saying hello… image001

Article written by Matt Jones

32 Comments for Indian Call Center’s Tuesday News and Views

1. C.A.L.9000
    11:29 pm August 22, 2011 Permalink

Frist! ….dang it

2. mores
    11:46 pm August 22, 2011 Permalink

Just want to say as a random aside: y’all have really stepped up on the football coverage this year and it’s greatly appreciated. I used to bitch about how poor it was, if there was any at all (and, honestly, I think I was right to). But y’all have done an outstanding job getting it back up to speed. You have a strong voice among Kentucky fans and your posts can shape a lot of attitudes down here–keep up the good football coverage and it will have a significant positive impact on the program.

3. UKGoBigBlue
    11:52 pm August 22, 2011 Permalink

No kid right now is going to commit until the NBA situation gets figured out or until they absolutely have to commit whichever comes first.
    This is going to keep recruits in a holding pattern until they have a better idea of who is going where & which current players on teams will be going or restricted from going to the NBA.

The NBA owners are going to get at the minimum 2 & 20 , meaning we could & more than likely will have back all of our current freshman for their sophomore season.

4. Matt Jones
    12:08 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Lots of kids have already committed…I dont think the NBA situation has a whole lot to do with it

5. tdogg4033011
    12:38 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Jones, top 10 or top 5 class?? He’s had three #1 classes in a row, nothing is gonna change.

6. John
    12:53 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

It would be a pretty big disappointment and even a failure if thats the class we end up with(personally I believe we end up with a much better class). We must get one of Coleman, Tarczewski(doubtful) and Mcgary, not getting 1 one of those 3 would be a failure. Also in my opinion we have a much better shot with Shabazz than people think.

Aaaanannndd Cauley is awful, I do not want that kid at all.

7. Anonymous
    12:55 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

I agree with John! Perfectly said

8. ROKentucky
    1:07 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

We always say that Rupp is not a historic arena, so how can we make the new arena both nice and memorabile. Think about the things that distinguish historic stadiums and arenas…the Celtic floor, Wrigley’s grass wall, Fenway’s monster. Take the KFC Center as a counter point…nice, but will it be memorable? Lexington deserves a Phog Allen or Cameron Indoor calibur arena (historically speaking). Ideas?

9. Francis the Talking Mule
    1:07 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Hello, This is Peggy!

10. Says me
    1:13 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

#3 is right. Not a lot of the guys in the range UK is recruiting have committed, and while some are going to make relatively early decisions regardless of what the NBA does (Tarczewski and Ellis seem to be on pretty strict schedules), many are going to wait and see what happens on the NBA front.

And if Brandon Ashley is your favorite player in the class, good news- Jody Demling reported that UK made his final four, the others being Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon.

I do buy the Cauley thing. Cauley makes sense in a lot of ways. He has potential, especially defensively, and he’s a long-term big UK would have on the roster for years. However, he’s not good enough to scare away the real prize at center, which is Nerlens Noel next year.

11. kaboom!
    1:34 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

“NCAA investigators are directing their aim at former basketball coach Frank Haith and former football recruiting coordinator Clint Hurtt, according to a source.”

12. Gay UK fan
    1:42 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Jon Hood, hey boy! Hit me up.

13. Incalwetrust
    1:47 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Oscar’s question was a good one, but according to cat’s pause Jeff Brasso also had 5 letters.

14. ukchampion
    2:31 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Matt – i agree about the new arena, but Rupp Arena has “very little” historical significance? dang that’s harsh!! definitely good that mayor Gray is involved i think though… thanks for the great insights, ksr rules

15. Jon Hood
    5:29 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

You want a guy with feathers, here you go! I listen to KSR all the time! Remember I was #34 ranked scout and was a Kentucky boy who committed our team when we were down. So I should get some love?!?!?!

16. Bill Lamb
    6:37 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

I saw this posted on a blog and this guy gets it regarding Matt Jones.
    But, just as the incident at losing what was a nice position at CBS or wherever it was illustrates, no matter the size of your homer base, you will become marginalized if you prove that’s all you have – or if you are so genuinely obsessed you stick with a narrow schtick.

I listen to his show quite a bit when I’m in town and enjoy it… The thing to remember is that in order for him to stay on the air he HAS to stroke the ego of UK fans by constantly derided UL fans… UK fans have a real lack of self-esteem issue that Jones knows how to satiate… He’s like the boy in grade school that has a crush on a girl but doesn’t know how to act on it so he hits her, pushes her and makes fun of her just to draw attention to himself…

Really it’s sad because the guy is talented as a radio host and as a writer… Unfortunately for him, his incessant and obsessive ramblings about UL have pretty much pigeon-holed him into just being a small-time guy forever… The guy possibly could have made it nationally had he just showed an ounce or two of maturity…

Oh, and I really like the way he makes fun of his callers (mostly UK fans) once they hang up… Classic grade school boy stuff…

17. Bill Lamb (above#16) is an idiot
    6:52 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

well, they said he couldnt get this far in louisville…. Just keep telling Matt he cant hack and watch him prove you wrong. Nice find on “my summer in an indian call center.”

Love,
    All UK fans.

P.S.
    i think we can take bill lamb he is what 5’5″ 145lbs?

18. GoCats2010
    7:42 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

17. Bill Lamb is about 6’5″. He’s lanky, but he’s got reach

19. Vermont
    7:55 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

A MoJo link in my KSR! Gotta love it Matt!

20. Wildcard
    7:56 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

The word of the day is: WILDCARD

Let’s see how many times we can use it!

21. Bill Lamb
    8:02 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’ve got more length than ole Matty Jones – and yes, you do know what I’m talking about.

22. Kidnut
    8:06 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

#16, quit with the self esteem issues. Be comfortable in your skin and lose the jealousy, you will be a much happier person.

23. BigBlueLush
    8:17 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

How can you say that Rupp has “little” historical significance? Geeze ‘O Pete.

24. cracka
    8:24 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

matt, “Lots of kids have already committed…” – really? looking at scout.com, out of the top 29 (which is cauley, a guy we’re looking at), 11 are centers and 4 have committed – 1 sg has committed … that’s it!

that means some of the centers have committed, but still SEVEN 5* centers available … i wouldn’t call that “lots of kids”

25. WildcatsOne
    8:37 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Gray wants to do a 6-8 month study. Are you kidding? They have been studying this for months and months already!! He sounds like he is going to try and drag this out until UK is forced to renew a lease on Rupp. UK should set a deadline, and seek an on-campus arena if Lexington has no solid plans in place by then.

26. 3 fan
    8:47 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

If that turns out to be Cal’s class, with no Ashley or Coleman, then Cal better pray that the NBA puts a 2 year rule in and load up in 2013

27. rick
    9:26 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Crap man its football season. Lets talk football.

28. bbrad
    10:41 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

Rupp has “little or no significance?” Wow! Almost as dumb as Calipari saying 5 first round draft picks was the greatest day in UK history. Not sure either of you know the history of UK at this point. Just saying.

History Major,
    bbrad

29. NeedToKnow
    10:56 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

If you didn’t know already – all of your personal information and credit history is being handled by call centers in India and other points East. So think about this. We can’t control working conditions, wages, etc. in these countries but we assume they are “all good” at handling our most sensitive data? WRITE YOUR CONGRESSPERSON.

30. randolph
    11:39 am August 23, 2011 Permalink

#6 – Disagree with your recruiting thoughts and agree more with Matt…..most UK fans are dillusional in regards to the class that UK will end up with in 2012. Some think that because Cal has succeeded in bringing 3 straight #1 classes that 2012 will be no different. Ultimately some fans are going to be dissapointed this year and Shabazz is a pipe dream at this point.

31. kdog
    1:07 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

TIMMAAAAYYY!!!!!!!

32. SagaciousMind
    4:02 pm August 23, 2011 Permalink

I just dont see Anthony Davis leaving. I think only way he leaves is if we win a championship and he really bulks up. I know he’s a top pick, but still, the kid has his head on straight. Plus, he hasnt even played yet. We thought Jones was gone for sure this time last year and we were wrong. I really only see Jones and Lamb leaving early. But, out of the 4 freshmen, I think Davis is the only one who will potentially go. I just hope Cal gets his primary targets. I think he will take 2 sgs, 1 sf, and 2pf/or 1c 1pf.