If you only read one thing today, make it this

In this week’s Sports Illustrated, S.L. Price pens a lengthy profile of John Calipari, which takes a deep look at the reputation of Kentucky’s coach and why he’s been labeled so negatively nationally by some.  Price paints a different picture of Calipari and takes a number of the issues on head-first by going directly to the sources and quoting a lot of the folks who have been viewed as Calipari detractors.  There are comments from Bruce Pearl, John Chaney, Lou Carnesseca, Billy Packer and William Wesley and the noteworthy quotes are too numerous to list (trust me, I tried).  A certain coach down I-64 plays a heavy role and doesn’t come off looking too great either.  It’s a nine-page piece that refutes many of the myths about Coach Cal and, although it’s a serious piece with loads of information, it did have one particularly amusing nugget:

Twitter is a new and mostly benign toy, but when Calipari began his account at Kentucky in 2009, he wanted to institute Bash Wednesday, a weekly smackdown of adversaries large and small. He was dissuaded, but he still grins over the idea. He likes revenge.

Bash Wednesday?  Revenge?  I like the sound of that.  It’s time to silence the critics.

Go Cats.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

53 Comments for If you only read one thing today, make it this

1. Ricky 3 stacks
    2:37 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Please don’t bash my boy Tommy Turtleneck. He might take Vinnie away from me.

2. The Real Pioneer
    2:39 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

YOU GOTTA LOVE CAL! I OVERHEARD THE OTHER DAY THAT ALTHOUGH TROY MCKINLEY SAID THAT HE LOVED PLAYING HIS FOUR YEARS AT UK UNDER JOE B. HALL, HE SAID THAT HE WOULD HAVE JUST BEEN ECSTATIC TO HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY FOR ONE SEASON UNDER COACH CAL! NOW THAT IS SAYING SOMETHING! HE ALSO ADDED IN AT THE END OF THE CONVERSATION THAT HE LOATHES BRUCE PEARL AND EVERYTHING TENNESSEE!

3. GoodLord
    2:43 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

2.) Dude, f*cking shut up

4. UKFanInCiny
    2:46 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

I love Cal but this is WAY too long for me to read. I am too A.D.D. to pay attention for that long.

But im sure it is a really good read.

Can someone tell me what it says?

5. CliffNotes
    2:47 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

4) Short summary: Cal is good but misunderstood. Rick seems slick but is a prick.

6. Blue Virus
    2:48 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

2- Enough with Troy McKinley.

Here is his Big Blue History page:

You have enlightened us all.

7. UKChillFan
    2:57 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

#5 Great job!

8. GLCM Ranger
    3:00 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

So is tomorrow “Bash Wednesday”?

9. chestbeard
    3:02 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Good article. It really shows that he is a good guy and asks the question ‘Why does he need an ulterior motive to do good things?’ Overall it was a good article for cal and mainly says that the perceived ‘dirtiness’ that other people have of cal is only that, perceived and not realistically based.

10. Loublue2
    3:04 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

#3, what the hell is YOUR problem??? #2 doesn’t have a right to post here??? WTF?

11. BBN says
    3:10 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Thumbs up to Bash Wednesday. Make it happen KSR.

12. I am with #3
    3:15 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

2)If I ever see you out and about…I will promise I will kick you in your Scotty Smallballs…believe that!

13. Dave_in_Oldham
    3:16 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

2) Give it a rest!

14. Manbearpig
    3:16 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

#10 it’s because in every post that #2 does it always has to involve two things, capital letters and Troy Mckinley its been an ongoing thing for a week or so now. It’s up there with the same guy who used to post as Goldust

15. The Real Pioneer
    3:18 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

ALL WE NEED IS AN ARTICLE ABOUT THE GREATNESS OF TROY MCKINLEY

16. Mack
    3:23 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

What, little ricky is a back stabber? No Way!

17. Sy Snootles
    3:27 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

What a douche Ricky is starting that cancer rumor. What an A$$HOLE!

18. Sy Snootles
    3:28 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

What about Ricky P starting that cancer rumor! What a prick!

19. rick's vd
    3:28 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

It hurts when I pee

20. Cats R Back
    3:32 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

In all seriousness…that is an amazing article.

21. Roland
    3:37 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Cal wanted a Bash Wed and was “dissuaded.” I found that surprising and enlightening. It is good to have a Coach that listens to others as well as he tells what to do to others.

22. Sean
    3:38 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

I think this article goes to show what a great fit Kentucky and Cal really are. Kentucky has a coach that wants to win as much or more than the fans here. Cal’s Kentucky “family,” the Big Blue Nation, has his back and doesn’t really care what other people say and think. As a matter of fact, I think, as UK fans, we like to have that chip on our shoulder…the “everybody hates us, so screw them” attitude. Cal has this same attitude and, together, we have an “us against the world” way of going about our business that the rest of the country fears. Across the country, UK fans and Cal are disliked by a lot of people. We don’t care. Cal doesn’t care either. Embrace the hate…it means they are scared and jealous.

23. Mark Liptak
    3:42 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Incredible profile, one of the best that I’ve ever read. Thorough, involved, a lot of direct quotes from a number of people and I though very fair…it didn’t attempt to dodge any of the issues in his career and tried to get a number of points of view.

I only regret that they didn’t talk with Pat Forde. LOL

Mark Liptak

24. cool post
    3:46 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

great profile indeed…maybe mostly because it makes pitino sound like a complete prick

25. I can't see the comments
    3:47 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

4- Just read it. Don’t be the guy who can’t even read 9 pages… I’m not a big reader either, but this profile is riveting.

It’s a great piece. Fantastic read.

26. John Chaney
    3:50 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

“I’ll KILL you !” … we laugh about it now, we buds

27. the article in question
    3:51 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

really does paint ricky three stacks as petty douche prick

28. Mborotncatfan
    3:53 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Great read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The one thing I thought it danced around but didn’t outright say was that success is the perfect breeding ground for haters in any field. I will be sending this to some friend.

29. WKU hilltopper
    3:57 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

4-You can’t read 9 pages? Really? You’re missing out on a lot of really good literature.

30. Go Deep
    3:59 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Fell asleep twice reading (don’t hate) but it was worth it in the end.

31. roger
    3:59 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

It was a very good read. I usually don’t take the time to read something that long, i’m glad I took the the time on this one. Very informative.

32. DavenderCatTheSequel
    4:02 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

it’s nine pages, & those are internet pages, filled w/ links & banners & ads. it’s really maybe 4 or 5 pages, & it’s a helluva article. not finishing it because it’s “too long” is like watching HGTV just because the remote fell under the couch

33. Jimmy Buffett
    4:02 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

#5:
    Well played. So you’re a poet and don’t know it!

34. James
    4:05 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Wow. A lot of these comments reinforce the stereotype of Kentuckians as ignorant hicks (don’t get me wrong, I’m a life-long Kentuckian and damn proud of it). 9 pages? Really that bad?

35. coach who hates cal
    4:05 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

If Cal beats me in recruiting, he must have cheated.

36. Sean
    4:07 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

#28 – You are exactly right. Conversely, nobody hates the Detroit Lions. As long as people hate UK basketball, it’s coach, and it’s fans, I think we are doing alright…

37. HackRichards
    4:12 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

OUTSTANDING

38. Blueburg
    4:14 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

This is an unbiased, well-researched piece that deserves to be read by all college basketball fans and should be manditory reading for every UK fan especially.

39. WKU hilltopper
    4:17 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

38-but for some reason some idiots can’t read 9 freakin’ pages

40. ebell55
    4:17 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

32 it is a legit 9 pages in 10 font. How ever read it you lazy S0Bs! My favorite qoute “Wesley grew disgusted that Wagner, Thompson, and Walls were chewed up and spit out at Loserville” I will be sharing this whit all the barbershops of jefferson county! Great story!

41. WKU hilltopper
    4:19 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

This is what journalism is supposed to be like. Not writing an article with no research and pure hatred (see Forde, Thamel, etc.) It’s extremely thorough and fair.

42. DavenderCatTheSequel
    4:21 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

well, i don’t want to start font wars, but my point was you don’t even have to pick up a book or turn a page

43. Assistant Coach
    4:30 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

With the exception of D Orton, all of our 2009-2010 one and doners finished the second semester of school – right?

44. summary
    4:31 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

so basically in regards to this article:
    it’s long, but worth it … that’s what she said

45. NKYCatFan
    5:03 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

2 & 15 – I have known Troy since we were 10. Even he thinks you’re an idiot.

46. You Can Call Me Cal
    5:31 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

The date on this article in the “SI Vault” is March 14, 2011. I’m not a conspiracy theorist but, is Calipari from the future to save the UK program?! dee-nee-nee-nee dee-nee-nee-nee

47. Winston Bennett LoveMachine
    5:49 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

#23 – Mark – enjoyed our day at Sig Ep!!! You could design the best basketball plays!

48. Ciggy
    6:24 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Amazing story there, worth the time to read for sure. Nice to see someone actually do a story on the guy and not just the rumors about him. Makes me look at things a bit differently, really good stuff there.

49. yeahus
    7:03 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

comments

50. Grinch
    10:24 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Pitino is a huge douche

51. old_school
    10:53 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

I’m not so sure this is so flattering of our Coach.

It reads as though UK is taking a chance on a guy who seems intent on winning at all costs and will do whatever it takes as long as he doesn’t get caught – aka Al “Just Win Baby” Davis.

It reads as something I could imagine being written about Jerry Tarkanian back in the early 1990s – and Kentucky fans really had few things to say about him back then because of the way he ran his program.

Kentucky fans really do need to evaluate what’s really important. If it’s wins and wins alone -then Cal may indeed your man.

If it’s winning, protecting the integrity of the term “student-athlete” and of the college itself, I believe we will be hated indeed by those who consider themselves trying to play by the rules.

52. Turd Ferguson
    11:58 pm March 8, 2011 Permalink

Flattering may not be the right word, but it definitely paints a positive picture of Cal. It also shows what a back-stabbing piece of garbage Pitino was…and is. This article is f-ing awesome.

53. pioneersaredumb
    2:20 pm March 9, 2011 Permalink

51.) Shut your old ass up please godddd, if we are winning your not going ot make a difference