If the SEC Tournament started today…

sec-bracket

If the SEC Tournament started today, Kentucky would be the three seed with a Friday night game against the winner of Arkansas versus Texas A&M/South Carolina.  That’s the dreaded 10:00 p.m. game with a short turnaround before Saturday’s 3:30 p.m. semifinal.

In order for Kentucky to move up to the two seed, Kentucky would need to win out and hope for an Alabama loss in one of its two remaining games: at Ole Miss, vs. Georgia.  Alabama holds the tiebreaker over Kentucky after winning the only head-to-head meeting between the two teams.

Kentucky only needs to win one of its final two games to secure at least a three seed, as the Cats hold the tiebreaker over Missouri and Ole Miss, the current four and five seeds.

Both Tennessee and Arkansas hold the tiebreaker over Kentucky, but need to make up two games to tie UK in the final standings.

Beat Georgia.

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for If the SEC Tournament started today…

1. BW
    11:09 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Why does UT hold the tiebreaker over us?

2. TouchdownTommy
    11:13 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Not a bad draw here. As bad as we were at Ark, I’d love to get them and then UT again on a neutral (well, basically home) court.

3. Looking Forward
    11:13 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone think our low RPI will cause Cal to want to drop games with the VERY low teams on the home schedule ? We can,t do much about the SEC,but we can drop some games with 300 plus RPI teams.

4. It's all about Revenge
    11:15 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

I actually like the way it looks.

I rather play Arkansas or Texas A&M … than Tennessee. In our first game.

Keep things just like this, and we can beat Arkansas (Revenge Game), then beat Alabama (Revenge Game) and then play Florida in the finals (Revenge Game).

Bring Home another SEC tourny Championship.

5. Chris
    11:21 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

I’d would rather play Arkansas our first game than UT for sure.

6. Tanks fer Nuttin
    11:23 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

1) Because we split the series, then goes to record vs. #1 seed (Fla). UT beat Fla in their one and only meeting.

7. BW
    11:26 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

6 – thanks!

8. ls
    11:48 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

i hope to god we play UT again they need some payback

9. Coach Durbin
    11:50 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

The four seed would be much better for our NCAA chances. First game with a chance to beat Ole Miss again then Florida in the semis. Playing Arakansas does nothing for building our resume.

10. JF
    11:58 am March 4, 2013 Permalink

And the 12th and 13th seeds are even better!

11. 20 20 hindsight
    12:01 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

3- I think dropping North Carolina and Indiana were boneheaded moves this year. He can make all the excuses he wants in regards to those schools, but when he dropped them, he left very little quality opponents. I’m not saying UK would have beaten either one of them, but I think a close game would have prepared them more than a win over a horrible 300+ RPI teams that you mentioned. The experience gained from a tough game with IU may have been the difference in preparing this team; instead we have what we have. These guys on here can believe all they want about the IU series and Cal’s excuses, but I believe he didn’t want to go back somewhere that he couldn’t win. Cal is on Rat Face’s level when it comes to true road games…if you can’t beat ’em at their place, demand a neutral site, or cancel it.

12. Ryne
    12:05 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

11- North Carolina will be on the schedule next year. They wanted to have the Louisville game at home and the UNC game away, unlike the past years with both away or both at home

13. 20 20 hindsight
    12:10 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

12 – I know UNC will be back next year, but I think it would have been good to have them this year. I can understand taking that year off. I just hate it that he needed quality wins and took 2 opponents off the schedule. I guess the timing for the year off with UNC was bad, but the IU game was just his pansy way of getting out of a loss.

14. Jimmy Dykes Caddy
    12:16 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Chill! Our schedule has always been tough and will pick back up next year. This year we had no preseason tourney, where quality teams usually play, and the game with Maryland was not a resume builder. We will have plenty of quality opponents going forward. Last years schedule was toughest in nation.

15. JD
    12:25 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

#13 how is it a pansy move? A neutral court game benefits both schools because they split the revenue in those games. That game should be played on a neutral court anyway on a place like Lucas Oil Field in Indy. 70,000 screaming fans watching 2 of the storied programs in college basketball. Playing in LOF also prepares your team for a deep tourney run because games are moving to bigger arenas to get more fans in and having no experience playing on a court set up that way is just as bad as not playing in a tough environment. Looked what happened to that BK team in the final four. Couldn’t shoot at all because of the difference in the shooting background, but then you have Doron and Darius from that team the next year that were used to shooting in that environment and we shot the ball much better.

16. 20 20 hindsight
    12:34 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

15 – Revenue doesn’t win basketball games, and I think the last thing UK basketball is concerned about is revenue. Revenue doesn’t prepare you a bid for the tourney. I agree with the experience in a dome. Big games are moving there, and I know from experience that shooting in a dome is completely different than anything else. I will give you that point. My belief though, is that a crowd that is all against you will benefit you more than a 50-50 split. As it turned out, neither happened, so there goes a chance for growth and a chance for a quality win. I just don’t see the problem with going to their place and getting your ass handed to you if you’re not prepared. An unlikely win, or a good learning lesson that game may have been a difference in coming out with wins against A&M and/or Bama.
    And 14 – I’m not concerned with last year’s schedule, or opponents “going forward.” I assume you mean next year by that statement. I’m concerned about THIS season and the fact that UK is on the bubble.

17. BPM
    12:42 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Do you really think we would be a better team if we would have gotten blown out by IU and UNC this year? We sure didn’t learn anything from close losses to Duke and Louisville or bad losses to Notre Dame and Baylor. I don’t understand at all why you would think two more losses would have done anything good for this team. Two more losses would pretty much have already locked up an NIT bid by now. If anything, it is a damn good thing those teams were not on the schedule this year – though I agree and do wish we played those teams every year.

18. Jpo
    1:07 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Blown out? UNC is just about as good as UK this year

19. BPM
    1:16 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

UNC and UK were on about the same level in December so maybe it would have been a close game then. Not sure if you are watching any other college basketball right now but UNC looks way better than UK, right now. Ever since they switched to the small ball lineup they are passing the ball well and playing pretty solid all around. We just had like 3 total assists against Arkansas.

20. tom
    1:16 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

To be truthful, I think I might actually prefer to NOT receive the double bye. We probably need to win a game or two in the SEC in order to feel secure for a Dance bid. A second round win would certainly be easier than coming in cold for the third round against a group of teams that have beaten us already this year. The chances of two wins on the SEC tourney is greater if we entered the fray in the second round as opposed to third.

21. JJ
    6:45 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Wouldn’t Ole Miss have the 4 seed since beating Mizzou head to head?

22. JJ
    6:46 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Both are 10-6 as of now.

23. Michael
    1:32 pm March 5, 2013 Permalink

To #1. TN beat us by more points than we beat them giving them the tiebreaker.