If it’s not one thing it’s another with Kentucky football

On the way home from dinner last night, my Big Blue melecholy broke and I went on a rant about Kentucky football. I’m sure the same thing was happening in cars and at dinner tables all across the Bluegrass; frustrations over another painful loss against the Cards brimming over the edge along with fears for the rest of the season being realized. Between rants about the defensive line and our utter lack of a secondary, I came to the sad, sad realization: if it’s not one thing, it’s another with Kentucky football.

If the offense looked good, then the defense looked terrible. For every beautiful run by CoShik Williams, there was a hole the size of Clint Hurtt opening up for Louisville’s running backs. Every time Maxwell Smith threaded the needle, Teddy Bridgewater made our secondary obsolete. It’s the sad reality that we’ve come to accept as Kentucky football fans. For every embarrassing loss against Vanderbilt, there’s an unexpected, streak snapping win against Tennessee. It’s an awful, unbearable balance, and for the Cats to ever get better, it has to stop.

Maxwell Smith looked great yesterday. He really did. He finished 35-50 for 280 yards, four shy of a career high. He led the team to two touchdowns and showed admirable leadership that proves once and for all he is the best man for the job.

CoShik Williams’ game would have been great if not for a costly fumble on the three-yard line. Whenever he found a pocket, he ran through it, averaging 6.2 yards per carry. He also caught three passes for 21 yards and racked up 85 yards on returns. His improvement lived up the preseason hype. Kudos to the offensive line for giving him opportunities, as well as giving Maxwell Smith enough time to create plays throughout the game. There were other highlights, too: judging by his performance yesterday, we’ll be hearing “Smith to Collins” a lot this season. The talented redshirt freshman had an excellent debut, with seven catches for 64 yards.

The no-huddle offense worked too. It kept Louisville on its toes, preventing them from making substitutions and resting between plays. It neutralized the Cards’ speed on defense, and gave the Cats a flow and rhythm on offense that they lacked all last season.

I wish I could stop writing here. But, with Kentucky football, the other shoe always drops.

Oh, the defense. It was so bad I got to the point I couldn’t even watch. Teddy Bridgewater and the Cards made a mockery of us, exploiting the secondary and making us miss Danny Trevathan and Winston Guy so much it ached. Before the game, we talked about the crucial matchup on defense: UK’s defensive line vs. Louisville’s offensive line. Well, this quote from Louisville’s Senorise Perry says it all:

“The holes were huge. I was excited to run through them because I didn’t expect them to be that big.”

Ouch. For the most part, Ukwu, Cobble, and Rumph looked slow and winded. Teddy Bridgewater had so much time to operate he could have stopped and made his O-Line sandwiches. Linebackers Miles Simpson and Tyler Brause looked lost; if we didn’t appreciate Winston Guy and Danny Trevathan after last season, we sure as hell should now. The secondary? I can’t even go there.

Even Joker’s playcalling suffered from our very own brand of ying and yang: for every ballsy onside kick, there was a fake punt on 4th and 14 from our OWN 25 yard line. Yikes. The offense, our silver lining, flowed, but just failed in the red zone. Being able to move down the field is great, but is all for naught if you can’t put points on the board.

In the end, I will always support the Cats. I’ve been doing this too long not to. But, when I see mistakes as glaring as yesterday’s, so fundamental and so frustrating, it kills me. As with everything in life and Kentucky football, if it’s not one thing, it’s another.

53 Comments for If it’s not one thing it’s another with Kentucky football

1. First
    12:05 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

oh no we suck again

2. EntertainMe
    12:17 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Is the postgame call-in show going to be available online?

3. Nosilvelining
    12:17 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I don’t get all the excitment over our QB’s performance. He can’t throw the long ball. The majority of the passes were screens and dump offs. We will be eaten alive with this offense in the SEC.

4. SOS
    12:17 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

SOS!!!! Never been a football school, never will be!!!!!

5. tigercat
    12:18 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

On the up side, I beleieve it is the first leg of the Joker Farewell Tour.

6. skinman
    12:22 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I’m not one of those that have been on the fire Joker train but, the screen on 4th and 10, really we are in the red zone just throw it to the endzone and have a guy try to make a play. Almost every mistake in the game was made by us. The onside kick wasn’t ballsy, hell we were down 22-7 and had no chance of stopping them. If anything it was Mummsy, as in we can’t stop them might as well onside kick it like Hal Mumme did.

7. lexslamman
    12:23 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Can’t wait for SEC play.

8. Mike
    12:23 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Mrs. TT….agree with most u said except that Max Smith played great. We might be splitting hairs here but I would grade him good-very good. He has limited mobility in the pocket and didn’t show the accuracy downfield that we were told all preseason that he showed. A lot of QB’s could have completed same % just doing dinks and dunks.

9. Patrino is a Prick
    12:30 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

See that are D-line was winded should tell you all you need to know about our coaching. It’s the first game and the staff has had the whole off season with the team and doesn’t have them in shape. It’s the first game they should be in the best physical condition they will be in all year. I know the game changes but having your team in shape should be something every high school coach could do.

10. NashBlue
    12:34 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Amen sister. Amen.

11. Sick Minter
    12:35 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

This would never happen with the 4-3 of Steve Brown!!!!!!!

12. UK Snuggie
    12:46 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Where did all the confidence and smack talk go? If you are prepared to talk before the game then you should be able to back it if you lose. The hypocrisy and contradictions offered up by the writers on this site are second only to the leaders of the Third Reich.

13. Smyrna_Cat
    12:47 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

That was one amazingly wimpy UK team. All of the defensive coaches should be fired after that. Today. Now.

14. Hey, Over Here
    12:51 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Hey, it’s me Bobby P.! Hire me because I’ve won in KY before and I can win there again. I’m not too busy right now. After you lose to WKU, I could take over vs the SEC schedule. Just let me know….waiting 😉

15. chokers revenge
    12:55 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I guess Minter won’t be taking over when Choker is fired?

16. STEVE BACK
    12:59 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Where’s all the HillBilly Yuks Yuks who pounded their ‘lil Puddy Tat chests on BlowHard Matts call in show???? Oh, that’s right…Chickens only Cluck when they are running skeerd!!
    Put those couches back on the front porch Kittys! The only thing burning today is that 32-14 azz whoopin’!

17. mymite
    1:02 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

CHEER UP UK fans the big loss to the curds is only the beginning of the end for the Joke. Truly enjoy this year and be ready to celebrate a new team of coaches next year.
    He has been way over his head since he got the job and just like obama another empty chair in charge.

18. markp
    1:06 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Right on 17!

19. FloydsScissors
    1:13 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Only thing I really disagree with is the fake punt call….

Hell, I don’t care if we were on our 5 yard line, at that point you gotta try somethin’!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. smoke and mirrors
    1:20 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Well said #12!! Hate lousville day didn’t work out so good,huh????????? Have another one,hate kent state day,may work better,weaker opponent.

21. UKSucks
    1:32 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Your starting RB would be 4th string at uofl. Dominque Brown was injured in warm ups and he is the starter. Just think how much worse it would have been had he played.

22. Reality
    1:33 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Hate day sounded like a good idea at the time.

23. SeaCat
    1:34 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Let’s talk Bball.
    Cal’s latest video on his
    site CoachCal.com is
    very uplifting!!!

24. Reality
    1:36 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Uncle Wes doesn’t have any pull in football recruiting.

25. Hooter
    1:42 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Seriously there is no upside to out QB play. We threw screen passes all the time or little five tard dump off passes that are eventually going to get one of our recievers hurt. Max smith is probably a great kid. But take off your blue tent shades, there isn’t one player on our team that a top ranked SEC school would play. I said yesterday that Minter should be fired as of yesterday. Tell joker this is his last year and to just have fun because it’s over after this season. We start SEC play and we will be dominated. Might not score another TD the rest of the season. Can’t wait for basketball!!!!

26. SoCal Will
    1:42 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

There is no joy in Mudville. A good man is striking out. This program can not afford missing another Bowl both for the revenue and recruiting but also the additional preparation for next season. Sadly 5 – 7 is on the horizon…..

27. OrlandoSmith
    1:43 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Hey! I want my stare back.

28. Badams
    1:45 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I think you guys are forgetting that Lville had an experienced offense playing against a pretty young Wildcat defense. No they couldn’t get the big stops, but they did pick it up some with some sacks and finally stopping them on offense. Our offense had a lot of bright spots, just some mistakes they need to get straightened out. It’s not like Lville blew us out. We don’t have some of those errors, the game could have went down to the wire. Those who act like its the end of the world are fkin idiots. It’s the first game! Our was impressed with our offenses ability to move and run the ball. The o line was supposed to be our major weak spot but they played very well.

29. gr8ness
    1:45 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

@ STEVE BACK.. I don’t remember you being on this site a whole lot. You TARDS are so funny and full of yourself. Keep on fooling yourself about how good your team will be.
    Now that your here, want back up you talk?

I will bet you 10k that your football team will not go un defeated this season. I will not accept food stamps for payment. Once we verify your funds I will draw up the contract.

In or out?

30. gr8ness
    1:46 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Want to back up the talk.

31. gr8ness
    1:49 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

@smoke and mirrors. I’m willing to let you in on same bet as Steve. Your a Dick anyway, could your mother spot you the funds?

Is really just prefer to kick your a$$.

32. CPACAT
    1:57 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

#27) Oh how exciting it would be to be 5-7 this year. Can you expound as to whom those other two wins are coming against? Norfolk St. is not walking through that door! Eight of the remaining eleven games are against SEC foes, against whom “not playing defense” is not an option. Sadly, 3-9 is the best for which we can hope.

33. jill
    2:10 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

#30..for real…who would take that bet even if it were Alabama or USC…teams rarely have undefeated seasons anymore…face it your team is awful and “Lil bro” is going to own you for years to come….I will bet you 10k your team does not finish at 500…

34. Andy
    2:12 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Why are some of you bashing Max Smith on here? He was leading the offense fairly well against Louisvilles D. Those 2 fumbles could have been 2 TDs easy. He had the balance of the running game and throwing game working. Max can’t help it if his 2 veteran rbs fumble. Thats on them. He played a typical west coast offense, and the throw to robinson was a good one along with the one for LaRod.

35. smoke and mirrors
    2:13 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Anytime 32,easy for you to hide behind a keyboard. Kicking your ass would be a fine way to celebrate labor day,you name the time and place and I will be there jerk,don’t wimp out.

36. smoke and mirrors
    2:14 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I am at LAC right now,interested#32?????

37. stan
    2:17 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Ignore both of them #31. Not worth the effort,neither earn 10k a year. Let em talk, they are idiots.

38. smoke and mirrors
    2:19 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

You want to join him #38?

39. smoke and mirrors
    2:56 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I’m still waiting here at LAC #31 and #38. It figures you rednecks wouldn’t show up. You wouldn’t want to get it handed to you by a gay man.

40. Isaac in Long Beach
    3:00 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I find it amazingly hilarious that Louisville fans frequent KSR during football season, but they’ve got nothing to say the rest of the year.

41. Isaac in Long Beach
    3:03 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

40, they already decided you weren’t worth the effort. No fan of any team that spends so much time on a rival’s message board on the internet is worth it. Tell me, oh tough one, why are you on KSR at LAC? I didn’t realize there were methods of working out that allowed you to sit on your fat ass in front of a computer screen reading and typing!

42. smoke and mirrors
    3:06 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

My ass is anything but fat. As a young gay man I have to keep this body tight if I’m going to get the well-hung Paul Ryan types.

43. Isaac in Long Beach
    3:12 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I have a lot of gay friends and I’m not sure if that was a joke or not. Either way, very funny.

44. Beavis
    3:29 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

# 34,,,,for once you and I agree on something,,,we will not finish 500. More like 2 and 10. Congrats on the win,,,the Ville looked a lot better than we did. They actually looked like they had coaches.

45. Bballdoc
    3:46 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I think Minter and most it the other defense coaches have let their boss, their players, and the fans down. It reminds me of last year. Remember “they sposed to be SEC” from the Western player? It’s the coaching, stupid. It’s too bad Joker is so loyal to his buddies on the staff who suck.

46. Badams
    4:27 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Lville fan, we know what sport is king around here and I’m pretty sure u got ur ass beat twice. National Champs!

47. jill
    4:33 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

#45…I really think your QB is pretty good…if defense shapes up some who knows….

48. catfan
    4:47 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

#34 I will bet you 10k that you are an ugly skank….any takers?

49. FullDisclosureCat
    4:58 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Since so many card fans seem to have found their way here to attempt to spew venom, and for the sake of full disclosure, the overall record for football & basketball between the 2 schools over the last 12 games is
    UK — 8
    UL — 4
    The Cats suck in football AND WE KNOW IT. So save your trash talking for someone who doesn’t think worse of their football team than the UK fans do of ours. It could be worse. We could suck at bball too. Unfortunately for the cards we do not.

John Calipari and the Cats are thinking “it is unfortunate that quick trick rick and the 15 seconds of fame cards are ONLY on the basketball schedule once this year”.

8X

50. SoCal Will
    6:14 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

#33)Not getting 6 wins is a real blow to this program. I was really just arbitrarily picking a number illustrating that fact and the fuller meaning of losing our state. 5 – 7 or 3 – 9 are equally debilitating. Just for optimism’s sake I do think there is young talent on this team and by November these kids will upset one of the two Tennessee teams…

51. UKBlue
    6:15 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

When it comes to football, UK can never get anything right. Whether it be over the years hiring the wrong coaches to yesterday not switching on defense, we can’t do anything right.

52. BUCats
    11:50 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I like the whack a mole analogy to UK offense and defense