If Cal Can’t Get Wiggins Here, A Song Might

wiggins

If there is one thing the Big Blue Nation is not scared to do, it’s travel to the ends of the earth to watch the Cats. However, if there are two things we’re not scared to do, it’s travel and make up songs about our favorite team and players.

Tonight let me introduce you to a friend of mine named Wes Royse. Wes is a friend of mine from Glasgow, KY, and works for the KSR affiliate WCLU. He wrote a song to Andrew Wiggins to the tune of Blake Shelton’s “Sure Be Cool If You Did.” Wes thinks it’d be cool if Andrew Wiggins decided to come to Lexington next year. He is not alone in this. When it comes to BBN and songs, most are terrible. However, most are fun. You can be the judge of that.  If you listened to the second hour of the radio show today you heard it. It’s worth a minute of your time.

Without further ado. Here are my friends Wes Royse and Fat Albert with “Sure Be Cool If Wiggins Did.”

Come on down?

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

63 Comments for If Cal Can’t Get Wiggins Here, A Song Might

1. Lenny
    8:05 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

My family lives in Huntington, WV and have become close with Andrew Wiggins and taken the kid under our wing. We have met his parents a couple of times and they are very good people that honestly are open to him attending any of the final schools on his list. That being said, Andrew has become very close with a girl down in Tallahassee. He also wears FSU gear often but that is likely due to his parents being star athletes at the school and that he followed the school as a kid. When my wife asked him which school he liked the best overall, she said he did not hesitate to say FSU. He said UNC was a close second. With the girl attending FSU and his parents wanting him to follow in their footsteps, I think he ends up at FSU. He could surprise us and choose UNC or even UK, but I think it is a small chance. Our entire family are diehard UK fans and would love to see him play for Cal in Rupp Arena next season. We will do what we can to promote UK, but I think it will not help much.

2. reasedru
    8:10 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Theyre winning it either way, but it almost wont be fair if we get Wiggins too..

3. Lenny is JT in disguise
    8:13 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Lenny, are you that JT guy that knew Randle was absolutely going to KU because he knew Randles mom? or are you JT’s wife who you and your husband go around meeting all UK recruits families to “know” what they will do? Sounds like you and JT are a bunch of stalkers. or you know,
    you could be blowing out your ass with posting this on every damn KSR post. get a life pathetic scum of the earth.

4. burl
    8:14 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

1. never gets old!

5. burl
    8:15 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

3. actually i think it’s funny, much funnier than the crap Gogaytors used to come up with.

6. Bleeding Ears
    8:18 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Can we keep the guy who made this away from the Internet till all recruits have signed? The song sucks, first of all. Secondly, what works for Jon Hood isn’t going to work for any other recruit. Please stop with the country songs. Forever

7. Gus Chiggins
    8:19 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I may be in the minority here but I think the song is actually put together pretty well and dude sings ok

8. TravisC
    8:19 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m almost in tears. That was amazing on so many levels.

9. Billy bob
    8:19 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m calling bull on that Lenny comment. Wiggins has remained lips closed his entire recruiting process. However I may point out he did take two unofficial visits back in 2011. Before any Major recruiting took place.

10. Justin
    8:19 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I think you have to like country music in general to appreciate this cover. Having said that, I thought it was well done. It could be a little longer just to be funny.

11. Billy bob
    8:19 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

To UK

12. Jt
    8:23 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

…Most amazing thing I have ever heard in my life….att

13. Wiener Schnitzle
    8:23 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Not gonna lie, i hate country music. This however was well thought out and i guess be good to country lovers. Although i Prefer rap, rock, metal, ect.

14. sam
    8:25 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

This is awesome!!!

15. reasedru
    8:25 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Lenny is full of sh*t..

16. LaQuita
    8:33 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I had sex with Lenny and he whisperd that in my ear! I think he is right!

17. UKBlue
    8:33 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

This kind of thing is why people make fun of the BBN; sometimes the BBN just can’t get out of their own way. This is ridiculous, no more stupid songs !!

18. josh
    8:34 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

great country song and even better remake. Just wish it could have been longer. maybe another verse.

19. Stu Padaso
    8:38 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Ol’ Stu approves of the song!

20. Richard Simmons
    8:39 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

That’s the gayest thing I’ve ever heard…..

21. Scout
    8:40 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I enjoyed the song! I hope we get Wiggins! I talked to an assistant coach of Wiggins at a meeting a couple months ago. A lady in the meeting son plays on a local high school team in my area and had no idea about Andrew Wiggins. She was wanting H.P. to play her sons team, not a good idea. I explained to her about Wiggins game and team. His assistant coach offered up the info that he was going to unc. No one asked him he just told us. I didn’t believe him.

22. Bobbum man
    8:40 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Lmao @ #1 cracks me up every time, I still don’t get why a kid like him with 2 parents who graduated from Florida State would need you to “take him u set your wing” please elaborate I would love to hear more instea of you copying and pasting the same thing in every comment section surely if you “took him under your wing” you have pictures I would love to see some pics of you and Andrew

23. C-Lu
    8:44 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

This is awesome!

24. Wildcat Willie
    8:48 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Look at this logically, if Andrew Wiggins is the competitor we all think he is, he really only has one school to consider. If he wants to be a champion at this level he will pick UK plain and simple. He will come here and not have to worry about being double teamed every game, he would be a rock star here the rest of his life long after his playing days are over, he can hone his skills against half or more than half of the 2014 nba draft lottery every day in practice. There isn’t a choice guys. I don’t care how much of a fsu “fan” he might be, he is a smart kid guys. He will be a Cayt!! Unless I’m wrong and he doesn’t mind playing against inferior competition in practice every day and maybe he doesn’t care about winning a title. If that’s the case then maybe he goes elsewhere. Either way, number 9 is coming but we go undefeated with Wiggins.

Nice song, I liked it. Not sure it has any appeal to a recruit this day and age though.

25. BBNiner
    8:48 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Nice try. Also nice Fat Albert cartoon backdrop to a country song about UK Basketball. I’m sure it’s right up the kid’s alley and will go over great on the interwebs. Look, ecruits will come here so long as Cal’s here. We’ve got the greatest fans ever. This a well-intentioned, light hearted idea and, although I’m not a country fan per se, it doesn’t sound horrible. But it will probably end up embarrassing us. It is after all on the internet now. CATS

26. C-A-T-S
    8:48 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

After that song Wiggins has to be a lock. Come on down kid. U will be part of the greatest tradition and be the needle for what college basketball is all about. They want to be you at Kentucky, but they just can’t!!!! Go Cats!!!!

27. stratblend
    8:49 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

1) Lenny, somewhere on your computer you have that exact phrase typed out and you copy and paste each time there is a post on Wiggins. Trolling just like you did with Randle. Get lost guy!

28. Brad
    8:50 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Wiggy wiggy wiggy cant u c..sometimes ur game just hypnotizes me We love winning and ur flashy plays..we think you should come to UK!(in my hypnotize Big Poppa voice) Wiggy wiggy wiggy!! Lol

29. Nashvillain
    8:59 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

That song is both terrible and great at the same time.

30. Billy Gillespies Liver
    9:02 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I dont think westerfield really thinks his song is gonna make wiggins committ. I think he did a good job, this site isnt for recruits, and pretty much nothing that happens here makes any difference to any UK player and/or, this site is for us (the fans) and thats who the song appeals to.

31. uhhh...
    9:05 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

why was it a good idea to use a Fat Albert image?

32. Crazycatlady
    9:05 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I think it’s catchy! Really gets in your head! I love it!

33. Shawon
    9:09 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

NO MORE UK FAN SONGS!!!

34. LexNative
    9:11 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Don’t give up your day job…

35. BBNiner
    9:15 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

On second thought, take this ish down. You’ve got a picture of Wiggins grinning over a country music song with a Fat Albert backdrop. I dislike political correctness gone wild as much as the next WASP, but this aint going to look good. I know it’s a fun idea. Wipe it.

36. Well I heard from
    9:15 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Well I heard from my wife’s 2nd cousin’s mailman’s nephew who went to school with Andrew wiggins in the first grade that he prefers to drink orange juice over apple juice.

37. wes
    9:28 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

#35 I am the one that did this song. I was asked if I could put it on youtube for a friend to share. Literally the only pic I had on my pc was this fat albert pic. Facebook had one of those deals where you were supposed to make your profile pic a photo of your favorite cartoon. Ive never put anything on youtube before and i just put that pic on the video. I meant nothing racial by it. I guess I will get more pictures before I post anything else. Im a radio guy, not a photographer. My bad

38. Nashvillain
    9:28 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

39. BBNiner
    9:40 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

#37 I didn’t take it as racial and I don’t think fair minded people will. I listened to the song and it’s really good as far as these things go. I like it. Also live in a world where UK is already maligned all the time no matter what. I’m probably too sensitive to the outside criticism. Keep up what you’re doing and take what me or anyone from the non BBN who reacts says with a grain of salt. For what it’s worth I should probably grow up and stop getting on the message board for KSR. Best. CATS.

40. What If?
    9:42 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

CBS has to replace “One Shining Moment” with a country music song, what do you think it should be? I’ll toss out “It’s Midnight Cinderella – by Garth Brooks”. Gimmee some more, I want to over dub the 2012 shining moment video. might be fun.

41. diggerphelps
    9:44 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Latest rumor I heard is that Wiggens in now strongly leaning UK! He was very unsure until Randle made his decision but he doesn’t want to waste his only season in College BBall with ZERO chance on winning a Championship. He will be a Wildcat very soon….GUARANTEED!!

42. diggerphelps
    9:47 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Lenny is full of horse s***…LOL!! I bet his name isn’t Lenny…he is sitting in a Shotgun house in Louisville making stuff up.

43. diggerphelps
    9:50 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Lenny, thank you so much for trying to help Coach Cal and all of #BBN land Wiggens. It is so kind of you and your wife…we are forever greatful to you! Nice of you to take him under your wing since I’m sure he is lonely and needs your support in these trying times. COME ON MAN!!

44. wes
    9:51 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

#39 No, I see your point. It just happened pretty quick. Wish I would have uploaded a different pic. Tomorrow if I have time I will try to post it again with a different backdrop

45. Speculation
    10:03 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Lets be honest here very few people actually know where/when wiggins will decide. The only person outside his immediate family that knows is his coach, and its not like hes giving anything away. Sit back and wait for Wiggins to say where he is going.

46. Glasgow Booster
    10:09 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I’d hire that guy to make my commercials!!!!!!

47. Porky
    10:10 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Thats song is tougher than woody pecker lips.

48. Limited-edition holographic flat-top
    10:20 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

I like what #41 said.

49. BBNiner
    10:23 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Wes, also think I was reacting to the photo they posted – not sure if it’s intentional – of Wiggins above the video thumbnail. It looks like it’s supposed to be connected. Don’t sweat this. I know you were well intentioned and, again, it’s a good song. Now I will attempt to get a life.

50. Candace
    10:30 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Shew. That song is horrifying. Please, PLEASE dont let Wiggins hear this–it will scare the sh*t out of him and he will go to Florida State.

51. Kevin C.
    10:42 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

@ #1…Cool story bro…and one most of us here have read a couple times before. Do you have it in a Word file on your desktop, ready to copy/paste whenever there’s a “Wiggins to UK” story?

GTFO with that lame BS —>

52. fireants25
    11:21 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

omg!

53. fireants25
    11:26 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

16-La Quinta —-lol ahahhahahahahahhahaaaa yes!

54. Brad
    11:44 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Please take this fat Albert photo down, it’s very poor taste.

55. Wigs boy
    11:45 pm March 27, 2013 Permalink

Andrew Wiggins and I went to different schools together! He told me he was coming to UK!

56. Dave
    12:20 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Is #1’s last name Kekua. Look Manti fell for the bulls*#t but we will not. Go BBN!

57. Robby
    1:07 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

Love it!

58. robuk
    4:57 am March 28, 2013 Permalink

This song creeps me out like the Tom Crean tweets.

59. kycat
    1:27 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I just hope Wiggins doesn’t hear that stupid song nd wats with the Fat Albert pic?

60. WoolBull
    1:32 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

I think the song is amazing. I’ve had it on repeat all day

61. UKfanKathy
    1:51 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Andrew – Please please please come to Kentucky. You will be playing with the best compilation of freshment in the nation! And you WILL know the sweet succes of helping UK win their 9th championship. I know this is tough on you; but after weighing all your options, there is only one choise – the UK Wildcats. And, of course, I’m sure you will never see this; but, well, here’s hoping. Good luck.

62. DON
    2:17 pm March 28, 2013 Permalink

Lenny sounds about like Billy Taylor. Neither has a clue about what they are talking about. A coach has to love a couple of clowns like that. They believe anything they hear and what they don’t hear they make up the rest. I am sure Wiggins never heard of Lenny. I guess this writing ignorant stuff on a website is his way of getting his 15 minutes of fame. And the song is just o.k. at best, hopefully he will never hear it.

63. Bridgette
    10:07 am March 30, 2013 Permalink

I love the video!!! Hopefully this video will help Andrew make a decision and come to Kentucky and help us win our ninth banner. πŸ™‚