I see you, Murray State!

The new polls are out and that team from Calloway County, KY is still moving up the rankings. The undefeated Racers of Murray State cracked the top 10 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll at No. 10, while Kentucky came in at No. 2. Louisville somehow managed to stay in the top 25 but dropped all the way down to No. 21 in the coaches poll.

UK received four first place votes in the AP poll behind 60 votes from top-ranked Syracuse. Indiana fell to No. 11, Murray State is No. 12, and Louisville is way back there at #DoesntExist No. 23 in the AP.

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for I see you, Murray State!

1. catsflaws
    12:43 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Truth. Go racers.

2. first!
    12:44 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

1st!!!!

3. Barack Obama
    12:53 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

The only true competition Murray State has faced this season is Memphis, and Murray State’s RPI according to CBS Sports is 29. I am glad that a team from Kentucky (Louisville doesn’t exist) is undefeated but I am still not that impressed. Does anyone else feel this way? Please enlighten me.

4. Dave Shelton
    12:53 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Just watched Tony Parker play. Cal was at the game.
    I hope we don’t get stuck with this guy. He has no shot, can’t rebound, play defense and has a bad attitude.

5. Cats R Back
    12:55 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

#4 – It’s Bennett all the way…

6. nawlij
    1:00 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Shooting 44% from 3 as a team makes you a threat to beat anyone…

7. BigBlueFan31
    1:09 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

3. The also beat a decent Southern Miss (Darnell Dodson) and a Dayton team that has beaten Alabama, Temple (who beat Duke), Minnesota (who beat Indiana) and a good St. Louis team. Murray is playing without one of their best players, Aska. They’re not top 10, but they are a legit top 25 team with Aska. They’d beat Louisville for sure.

8. MKG fan
    1:09 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Two years in a row that UL is a lock for 3rd-4th best team in the state.

9. Paducah Cat Fan
    1:10 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Of course, I’m, biased, but Murray State could really be one of the top 15 teams right now. They’ve beaten the A-10 leader Dayton, plus they beat the C-USA leader in Memphis. Those aren’t elite teams, but they’ve beaten three teams that will likely make the NCAA tourney: Memphis, Southern Miss, and Dayton. Who knows? Their story isn’t much different than Gonzaga or Butler.

10. John Denver
    1:28 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Love all the hype for MSU, but they are not a legit top 10 team.

11. thenamerobdigity
    1:33 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Sagarin ratings has UK’s schedule at #206 in the country????????? Murray ranked #22 in sagarin

12. thenamerobdigity
    1:34 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

let me clarify, Murray is 22 overall their SOS is 263. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt1112.htm?loc=interstitialskip

13. Another Perspective
    1:37 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Pretty good company those Racers are in these days! Noticeably absent… Loserville!
    1 Syracuse (31) 19-0
    2 Kentucky 17-1
    3 Baylor 17-0
    4 Duke 15-2
    5 Missouri 16-1
    6 Ohio State 16-3
    7 Kansas 14-3
    8 North Carolina 15-3
    9 Michigan State 15-3
    10 Murray State 18-0

14. saki7
    1:38 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Happy for Murray State. On a side note, three SEC teams in the top 25 is fairly respectable.

15. John Denver
    1:40 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

How is Duke rated above Mizzou?

16. WKYDUDE
    1:44 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

#15, how are we ranked ahead of Baylor? I love the Cats, but c’mon.

17. Me
    2:00 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

In 2 weeks, uofl goes from #2 to #21. Give rick a couple more weeks and he’ll have the cards back in the NIT.

18. Paducah Patty
    2:20 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for the Murray State love from KSR, Drew!! I love my CAYTS and my Racers.

19. BigBlueFan31
    2:23 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

17…Nice try, but Loserville hasn’t been higher than #4. What’s even funnier about that is that they actually got 2 first place votes.

16. Because we have beaten better teams.

20. CatsFan4Life
    2:25 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

PROUD Murray State Alum here. I love that we are ranked 10th. No way we are really top 10 in the country but I love it!!

21. dman
    2:52 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

They know that regardless of the OVC tournament outcome they’re going to the dance. I don’t think they’ll loose another game until March. Biggest test they’ll have is when they go to Tennessee Tech. With the way they shoot, they can beat any team on any given night. I went to the Saturday night and had a blast. Alot of fun for an $8 ticket.

22. tyrus
    2:59 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

20- Same. Way to go Racers! My first two years at MSU, I think the team only won a total of 15 games. Let’s Go South! Let’s Go South!

23. KD
    3:06 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

16) i am impressed with Baylor as well. They’ve beaten San diego St, and West Virginia and Mississippi State in very close games, all at home and a Jimmer-less BYU on the road….Not exactly giant killers.
    This week should be telling with games at Kansas and against Missouri. They say the Big 12 is a tougher league but at this point it’s hard to say. Looks to me like the Cats have the better resume so far.

24. SagaciousMind
    3:25 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

No way Baylor is better than us. They havent played the schedule we have. As for Murray, stop saying they dont deserve it because they havent played anybody. Gonzaga and St Marys both get put in the top 25 at times and who is it they beat? Murray is a good team and can shoot lights out. This team could end up in the sweet 16, dont be surprised if it happens. Besides, as someone pointed out, they have beaten the leaders in conferences that our better than the OVC.

25. Nancy Pelosi has 4 eyebrows
    4:11 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Go Murray St!!!!

26. cathalchan
    5:13 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

I’m a diehard UK fan and grad who has season tickets at Murray State. The Racers can play, and would give anyone trouble. While they lack the size to stop MKG, Davis, and Jones, they can shoot and are very quick. They are not a team anyone wants to play in the tournament. Ask Vandy two years ago. BTW, they are better than the two teams playing on ESPN right now. That would be Marquette and the team that isn’t.

27. Duckhoook
    7:34 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Won @ Memphis
    Won @ UAB
    Won @ Southern Miss
    Beat a solid Dayton team
    Won the Alaskan Shoot Out

Who cares if they may not win it all in March….just enjoy the ride with the second best team in the Bluegrass!

Go Racers!

28. Rick Pitino
    9:39 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

Morehead will beat them Wednesday night… They advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament last year.

29. Cats000
    10:45 pm January 16, 2012 Permalink

I have a hard time giving Murray State much credit since there SOS is so weak.