I like your style, Stewart Mandel

When I saw that Kentucky would have to get through Ohio State to make a run to the Final Four, I pretty much threw in the towel.  Ohio State is one of only two teams in the tournament (the other being Kansas) I don’t want the Cats to face. But apparently not everyone feels the same way I do about Kentucky’s chances of getting past the Buckeyes. In his East Region preview for Sports Illustrated, Stewart Mandel of SI.com picks Kentucky to upset Ohio State and make it to the Final Four. Bold move, sir.

The Pick: Kentucky

Yep — a surprise. In any other region, Ohio State would be my Final Four pick, but the Buckeyes will have the misfortune of running into a No. 4 seed that happens to be more talented, albeit young. The Wildcats’ Terrence Jones and Brandon Knight are both possible lottery picks this spring, and Doron Lamb could be a first-rounder next year. It took most of the season for Calipari’s team to gel, but now they’re playing like a team poised for a Carmelo Anthony/Gerry McNamara-like run to Houston.

Young Kentucky will knock off Ohio State

I like your style, Stewart Mandel. #Winning

Article written by Drew Franklin

42 Comments for I like your style, Stewart Mandel

1. nybrasky
    12:34 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I think Stewie needs some Monday morning pageviews, but I like it. I also think we match-up well with Ohio St.

2. I can't see the comments
    12:40 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Ohio State is not really a bad match-up Drew. They are thin in rotation, like we are, and Sullinger is not big enough to completely own Jorts if he stays out of foul trouble. Liggins can lock down Diebler and Knight will be the best PG in that game.

I’d rather face them than Kansas.

I still think OSU is better than UK though. But we have a chance.

3. LP
    12:44 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Stewart Mandel for President!

4. bilbo
    12:45 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Sullinger is a good player but he is not athletic. Jorts is way bigger and we won’t have to double down on Sullinger. Diebler has not faced a long athletci freak of nature like Liggins all year. Let’s just make it past WVU cuase they are very scary, very scary!!!

5. Don
    12:45 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I like the match-up as well. I love the Diebler v Liggins match-up the most. We will have the best PG on the court, and the Miller v Lighty matchup will be solid as well

Sullinger is damn good, but inconsistent. He’s also 6-9, which means Josh can get help from Jones. They play a 7 man rotation, so fouls will be a big part of the game.

6. NBA league pass
    12:46 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

One thing about OSU is that they haven’t really been tested in a while, sometimes its good for the “best” team to take a loss going into the tourney (ie 1996 Cats). If we end up playing OSU and a few things go our way (for a change) I think we could make things really interesting.

7. catfainchattanooga
    12:46 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Let’s win 2 games first…

8. SCCat
    12:47 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I love the way the team is playing right now and i’m not skeered of anybody…let us have a week to prepare for OSU and we could most certainly win that game.

From there we have tape on our game to scout the Heels, and the Cuse zone would be a welcome matchup for this CAYTS team.

We’re hot – that’s all I can ask for despite the absolute failure that was the seeding committee production yesterday.

9. Don
    12:47 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Let’s just make it past WVU cuase they are very scary, very scary!!!

Disagree a lot! I watched them vs Louisville and vs UCONN this year, and they sucked. They have virtually no offense and their inside game is crap.

We will have a field day on WVU.

10. bilbo
    12:50 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

9??? Just like last years team!!

11. NashBlue
    12:54 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

One game at a time…..

12. AUbleedblue
    12:54 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

#10

Last year against WVU we went up against one of the hottest players in the tournament until he tore his ACL against Duke, and we had the worst shooting night of the season. This team has proven that it is much better of a shooting team and overall better team defensive team. I don’t think we’ll walk over WVU if we get there of course but we should win that game.

13. Bluecalizone
    12:54 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

My Hat’s off to you sir.

14. bilbo
    12:58 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Just don’t pencil us in against Ohio State. We could make a run to the final four or lose in the first round.

15. BlueInMI
    1:01 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Well I like the optimism but let’s not overlook those Ivy Leaguer’s and perhaps Huggy Bear.

16. Kwildcat
    1:08 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Agree with Don, seen WVU several times this year and they are not close to the team of last year. They got a lot of Homer calls from the refs that helped them. Mediocre talent and Huggy Bear is just cashin a check in Morgantown. Cal will not let us get beat by Princeton. GO CATS!!

17. Experience
    1:09 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

UK needs to go Gangster in Newark and show the country that there is a Blue Train coming and you better get off the tracks! Please somebody talented put together some big blue highlights with the theme song to the Sopranos.

18. Korean Tacos
    1:09 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

If Northwestern can hang with OSU, then I don’t see why UK can’t. The key is to not double team them. Play them straight up, which is exactly what NW did.

19. Walkers Goggles
    1:10 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

How can you listen to the KSR radio broadcasts on your iphone with the iphone doesn’t run flash?

20. bluesince66
    1:10 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Man what a difference a week makes. After the loss at Arkansas 50% of you were on here bad mouthing the CATS and they just aren’t that good. That’s why I try not to get to exited or down after games, but I must say the way we’ve played the last 5 games has my hopes pretty high.

21. David Podgursky
    1:10 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I think Huggy Bear hit a wall this year with this team… the DeSean Johnson factor isn’t there this year… and Kentucky does well this year in “Revenge” games…

I don’t know what to think about Ohio State…if the cats are pumped up for it, I think their 7 man rotation (why do people keep saying 6? 1 Knight 2 Lamb 3 Miller 4 Jones 5 Harrellson 6 Lamb 7 Vargas… 8 Hoody!) may rely on Sullinger a lot more than people realize. I think he’s a beast but if Kentucky is firing on all cylinders they’re hard for anyone to beat.

I think overall this is the toughest bracket to predict because it could be upset-city… Georgia over Washington, Marquette over Xavier, Clemson could beat Huggy, Syracuse could beat Ol’Roy, and the Cats Lite could beat Ohio State on the right night … Kentucky is fallible, no doubt…but the other teams are not bulletproof by far

22. bluekz
    1:10 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Why do people keep referring to Knight as a lottery pick? Didn’t he already say that he wasn’t going to be a one-year player?

23. I can't see the comments
    1:12 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

WVU is still a physical team that could frustrate UK defensively. If the 3-pointers don’t fall, remember what could happen.

I agree that this is a difficult game.

And Princeton is another one. One game at a time.

24. Logan
    1:22 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

If we play OSU 10 times they beat us 7.

25. that guy
    1:25 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

bluekz,

I don’t remember him saying that. He has said that he hasn’t thought about going pro, but everybody says that.

#2: Have you seen Sullinger? Dude can play. He’s better than Ezeli or Macklin, both of whom have given Josh problems. I do think, however, that Jones can play him. The problem is that it’s hard to find somebody to leave open to help on Sullinger. I’m assuming Dre would shut down Diebler.

This is all assuming we get past Princeton (who isn’t bad), then the next game. This is Cal’s chance to show that he can make adjustments. Of course, one adjustment from last year could simply be better shooters. I feel like Cal more or less implied early in the season this year’s team could have beaten Huggy’s zone last year.

26. yeahus
    1:25 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

is Stew Howie’s brother ?

27. HartcoCat
    1:33 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

If we could somehow get Sulliger into quick foul trouble–GAME ON!

28. Carl
    1:38 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

If we continue to play defense like we did in the SEC tourney we can play with anybody. If are offense is clicking we will go far in the tourney. But remember, it only takes one game of freshman playing like freshman for it to end. With thatsaid I like our chances.
    GO CATS!

29. scott
    1:38 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

@23 if the 3 pointer dont fall that is fine but we only shoot about 16 to 17 a game and hit around 7-9 a game. Our three’s don’t win us games it is the threat of leaving us open that then opens the driving lanes so we can get free throws or 2 point conversions. If we stay around upper 70% on freethrows even in a hardknock game with poor 3 point shooting we could win, we dont rely on our three to win like DUKE it is just another threat for us.

30. bluesince66
    1:41 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

99% of the time one player can not beat you. Rupp used to let Maravich get his 50 and we would still beat them by 20. We used that strategy in a high school game, guy scored 56 on us and we beat his team 93-67. Play him one on one, don’t foul him and lock down the rest of them.

31. Al's IndiCats
    1:50 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I agree with 11, one game at a time…BUT if you look at the side bar of all this, my guess would be everyone is looking at us instead of OSU, and then of Matta’s probably saying WTF? I thought we was supposed to be the #1 of all #1s, and we have the hardest road to travel.
    The selection (Bastards) sure didn’t give us enough credit, that’s a given. We were penciled in at a #4 seed at 3:15 pm Saturday right after Lamb hobbled off the court. They didn’t give us a snowball’s chance of winning the SEC Tourny, muchless completely blowing out the lizards off the court in the fashion they did. That’s ok. It’s just another obstacle for Cal to rally this team around. And if I were coach Cal that would be my sermon before every game from this point on. Lets show them who we really are. WE “ARE” KENTUCKY…GO CATS!!!!!!!!

32. Blueburg
    2:56 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I don’t think we oughta be afraid of anybody. Kanter can teach Josh how to handle Sullinger and just put Liggins on Deibler and see what happens.

33. Laker Cat 18
    2:58 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

We all like to blame 3 point shooting for our loss to WVU in last years tournament. Guys, we shot 55% from the FREE THROW LINE. We missed 13 FREE THROWS. We lost by 7. Do the math. This is a different year, with better shooters. Hope that means something.

34. FanSince1969
    3:10 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

#33 brings up a point that captured my attention against UFLA yesterday — free throw shooting. When Terrence goes to the line, which could be often this tournament, he needs to hit 7 or 8 out of 10. He and Liggins were pure from the line and look more relaxed there. Combine 75% free throw shooting with <10 turnovers a game and we win the close games that the tournament inevitably presents. Whip Princeton by 18… Knock out Clemson by 12… then we think about the Buckeyes.

35. What??
    3:16 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

They may be good but they’re still buckeyes.

36. Don't be an idiot
    3:18 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I’m pretty certian we can beat osu. I looked up their non conference schedule and the only had one real challenge and that was Florida who they beat easliy in the early part of the season. But after that game they really haven’t played a whole lot of talented teams so it could be said that they haven’t faced a true test yet. I’ll give them Purdue. But I think we are a lot better prepared for this tourney and are finally coming on strong and understanding roles to our team at the right time. Of course we need to get past the first two games. But I wouldn’t be surprised if osu overlooked us.

37. Mattcat68
    3:40 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Uk has the perimeter shooters to give them problems. Uk also has the length and speed on defense to bother their shooters. Big Sully will be the problem. He will have our frontline in foul trouble before they get off the bus. That means no rebounding ala first half vs. Uconn.

38. Coach John
    4:02 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

If we can get the ball inside early to Josh and let him do his pump fake to get Sullinger off the ground, we can get some calls and Sullie goes to the bench early.

39. Mojo74
    6:01 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

Bob Ryan picked UK to come out of the East

40. OSUSucks
    6:21 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

I want to see what Queerbler does when Liggins guards his arse.

41. SeoulCat
    6:41 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

If we were playing Kansas, I’d be worried. OSU? Not so much. Sorry, but this Buckeyes team is not a bunch of world beaters.

Have any of those people who fear Ohio State actually seen them play this year?
    Yes, they have Sullinger, but so what? What have they done with that star?
    The Buckeyes needed overtime to beat Northwestern in the Big Ten Tourney (after a one point win over NW in January). Five-points-or-less victories over Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, & Northwestern (twice). Losses to Purdue & Wisconsin. That is, the majority of the teams in the Big Ten either beat the Buckeyes or were in a very close game with the nations “#1 team”. In many of their other wins, they have looked less than impressive.

This is a VERY winnable matchup for the Big Blue. The team that avoids early foul trouble will win this game.

42. cats11
    9:17 pm March 14, 2011 Permalink

We’re Kentucky, they’re Ohio State. Of course we’d win.