I Like Kentucky to End up With Trey Lyles

trey lyles

As we move forward with the 2014 UK Basketball recruiting class, things are certainly looking brighter for the Big Blue. While just a couple of months ago, there did not seem to be a certain UK commitment out of the top 15 players outside of Karl Towns, in the last few weeks the scene has looked brighter. Emmanual Mudiay continues to look like a likely UK commitment, as the Point Guard says all the right things but continues to favor the Cats. UK has strengthened its position with Stanley Johnson, has offered Justise Winslow and has even made some movement on #1 overall player Jahlil Okafor. However the best news came to me early this week, as after some conversations from folks close to the recruitment, I now believe Trey Lyles will end up at Kentucky.

As many of you know that read this site, I am very hesitant to ever make predictions on recruiting…when you do and you are right, few remember and when you are wrong, they remember forever. Thus I only say that I like UK’s position when I REALLY like it. Last year I said it for the Harrison Twins, James Young and Julius Randle, the last of which put me on a relative island (along with USA Today’s Jason Jordan) until the very end. In this case, Kentucky is the strong leader for Lyles and I feel confident as of now that they will end up with him. The common perception on the internet has been for some time, at least since Lyles decommitted from Indiana, that he was a Kentucky lean, but I don’t think this was the case. Worry about Lyles is what led UK to stoke up the recruitment of Angel Delgado and Abdul Malik Abu, but as of now they have offered neither player, and I think that is because of some growing confidence on their standing with Lyles. Trey is an explosive player and an amazing scorer. If UK gets him, Mudiay and Towns, it will three Top 10 players and a good start towards a potential sixth straight #1 recruiting class, with only Duke pulling off the Okafor/Jones/Winslow triple standing in their way.

Article written by Matt Jones

31 Comments for I Like Kentucky to End up With Trey Lyles

1. RubandTug
    9:02 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Nice fit. I hope Matt is right. Beast mode! $6.55 pizzas are sweet..

2. IndyGuru
    9:04 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

“RunninRamel” has been reporting this for quite some time over at Cats Illustrated, Matt. If anyone knows Indianapolis recruits, he does.

3. Matt Jones
    9:06 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Well I dont know “Runnin Ramel” and while I am sure he is very trustworthy, I tend to have one source for UK recruiting news I trust…that one hasnt been confident until this week. When he becomes confident, that is when I become confident

4. Catlogic15
    9:09 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

I’m good with this info.
    But predicting any recruit commitment is a dangerous game.

5. Bradley
    9:12 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Other people also get good info. To act like a 6 yr old who is the only one who knows anything is childish at best.

6. Michael
    9:12 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

I wonder what this does to the Mudiay/Turner package? I wouldn’t think Turner would want to play on a team w/ Karl Towns Jr., Trey Lyles, Marcus Lee, and (possible) Dakari Johnson.

7. Bradley
    9:13 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

And not to nitpick, but you waffled like crazy on the Harrison twins.

8. South American Point Guard
    9:15 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait to hear some Conway for this one.

9. SeoulCat
    9:22 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Wrap him up, Cal.

10. Matt's Source
    9:25 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Cal

11. Dave
    9:25 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Sounds good! I would like to also see them get Blackmon (another Hoosier de-commit). That would probably make Crean go into a meltdown! Plus, he is a UK legacy. Win-win!

12. VinDatuk
    9:32 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

#5 or Bradley: reading comprehension is your friend. Matt doesn’t dispute that others may have had info/been confident with Lyles. He simply said he has one trusted source and until recently said trusted source was less than confident in Lyles being a Cat. His source now is confident and Matt is now liking Lyles to UK. I call Matt out and bust his tail a lot. He is perfectly justified in sticking with his source and has been right more often than not lately.

13. Archie926
    9:33 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Any word on Dante Exum

14. uk9champ
    9:37 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt who’s the player that you said you would mention today on the radio that UK is less likely to get? That u didn’t mention.

15. BackdoorSlider.com
    9:54 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Matt, do you think will the de-committment of Blackmon might lead him and Lyles to really look at the possibility of playing at Louisville with their good friend, Daquan Lyle?

16. James
    9:55 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Awesome news. The Tards think they have him. Get it done Cal!

17. J in Orlando
    10:03 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

15 Im sure he is more concerned about being in the NBA sooner than playing with his buddies…recruits see that playing for Pitino will hold them back and waste time learning how to play a style that doesnt translate into the NBA…not to mention Rick will do his part to hold his own players back

18. #10 in 2015
    10:03 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Add Stanley Johnson and Rashad Vaughn to go with Mudiay, Lyles, and Karl Towns and you have 5 of ESPN’s top 12 ranked players, 1 at every position. Add a couple more good players to the class and we easily have the #1 ranked recruiting class in the country again. Add to that Marcus Lee, Dominique Hawkins, Derek Willis, and maybe Dakari Johnson, and you have the makings of another national championship contender to say the least. Only Cal. Go Cats!!

19. Bryan
    10:05 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Any possibility we can cliff Alexander instead of lyles?

20. Robshairgel
    10:12 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

What about Blackmon since you’re rolling the dice tonight? Tom Crean will be seething if both commit, love it!

21. SoCal Will
    10:13 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for keeping us current. We know recruiting is dynamic. If the second Tower is Lyles then Stanley is very important. He will be the front court leader and enforcer. Snatching Lyles back after letting him dangle in front of Pitino is just icing.

22. Robshairgel
    10:13 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

#18 I’m liking what you’re saying!

23. Al/in/Indy
    10:15 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

Anytime we can steal one away from that nutcase Crean is a feather in BBN’s hat. Crean “Waffles” so much (Uvel and Iwho playing in MSG) that the Wafflehouse calls him to see what the weather will be just before the National Weather Service calls them…Just sayin’

24. SoCal Will
    10:16 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

BTW, isn’t Exum the reason Blackmon de-committed?

25. #10 in 2015
    10:21 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

#22 Thanks, I really think it is very possible. Rashad Vaughn is the only one I’m not real confident about, but I think we’ll get Devin Booker if we don’t get Vaughn, and ESPN has him ranked #16 overall and 2nd at shooting guard. Hopefully we’ll get one of the two.

26. Good times
    10:54 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

#24, I would be surprised if this is the case since all the discussion to this point with Exum is that is a likely 2014 NBA draft entrant and would only play second semester of this coming season. Has that changed?

27. big O
    11:06 pm August 8, 2013 Permalink

I too rough up Matt from time to time. 18 year olds do change their mind and things can change quickly. All this being said, I trust Matt that his source is solid. COME ON DOWN MR. LYLES.

Thanks MJ

28. tyson
    12:40 am August 9, 2013 Permalink

#5–Matt’s source isn’t Cal, but it’s the next best thing and sometimes probably even better. If Matt says we’re getting someone then the coaching staff thinks we are getting them.

29. SeaCat
    1:43 am August 9, 2013 Permalink

Matt Jones was right about Wiggins.
    He never thought we had him.

30. Kevin C.
    2:51 am August 9, 2013 Permalink

@ 29
    Neither did I. I suppose I should start posting my recruiting predictions as well….

31. matt is the man
    5:04 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

matt… i really enjoy ur recruiting insight. i know whenever u make preditions about a certain player thinking about coming to uk, we have more than a good chance of getting that player. i trust ur opions over any other recruiting outlet… thank u for hard work and insight