I just can’t imagine how…

I’m not even sure I remember exactly when the UNC academic scandal was first reported. I remember hearing about it, though at the time the news didn’t feel colossal. I remember brushing it off as mostly a UNC football ordeal, making it far less juicy than it being a basketball ordeal. North Carolina and basketball have a deep-seeded connection. Dean Smith, Michael Jordan and argyle are all symbolic to the portrait of men’s college basketball. Football? Meh. I remember finding it bizarre that UNC football suddenly jumped on the radar for a few years with formidable teams. Now it makes sense. But the academic scandal was virtually swept under the rug for months. Sure, we heard about it. But the full attention of the collective media, who jump at such things to pour attention into, somehow never fixated on the story. Until this weekend. Julius Peppers forced everyone’s hand. A 1.8 GPA with a transcript filled with red flags is hard to ignore. Why did it take so long though for everyone to suddenly start taking such great interest? Why were some so quick to jump on investigating whether or not Enes Kanter made more than a reasonable living expense while playing basketball in Turkey? A flight to Turkey wasn’t too much to ask, but a trip to Chapel Hill couldn’t be arranged?

Really, how could a story like this take so long to transition from “story we care about for 24 hours and then throw on the back burner” to “okay, now this is actually a pretty big deal?” As Matt tweeted earlier: where are the Pete Thamels, Pat Fordes and Jeff Goodmans of the world now?  I’ll give you 3 possible reasons why something like the UNC scandal could have been swept under the rug…

1) ESPN spent a portion of their morning celebrating Tim Tebow’s 25th birthday. Two ESPN NFL analysts (Herm Edwards and Marcellus Wiley) took the time this morning to put on silly hats, gather around a birthday cake and throw out possible “gift ideas” for Tebow on his 25th birthday (not even his 21st, or 30th, or 40th…or anything significant at all. Just 25). I get that shows like Sportscenter are largely based on entertainment value, but c’mon.

2) Pat Forde is tied up with more important things in London.

3) Anonymous Coaches Polls — Who has time to investigate anything of substance when you can just poll 100 coaches, granting them anonymity so there are no consequences or means by which to hold them accountable for the accuracy behind the statements, to find out who they perceive to be the biggest cheater in recruiting. That seems much more worthy of time and energy. I’ll trade what 100 anonymous coaches have to say for what 1 North Carolina coach has to say…

I just can’t imagine how this took so long…

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

33 Comments for I just can’t imagine how…

1. NotSatire
    6:15 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Stop pimping that T with the pic of Coach K on the front. You’ve got to be kidding, right?

2. FloydsScissors
    6:16 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

The real sad story is that the NCAA did go to Chapel Heel (Hill) and decided there was nothing to report.

3. FordeSucks
    6:24 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

You would think that as a person who writes for a living Mr. Forde would know the difference between site and sight. Maybe Mr. Forde has been too busy researching the difference to cover UNC’s issues…

4. barn
    6:32 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

i think forde may be right. if he’s referring to a location, venue.

5. Dancat
    6:46 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Mo one at ESPN will report on this ecuase it will make the epic battle
    Between UNC and PUKE less interesting. How would they fill 2 whole
    Weeks of programming if one of the 2 teams is facing lack of
    Institutional control? I’m out!

6. gossie21
    6:49 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

I believe Forde did write about the scandal, but he has painted it is a football issue.

7. SexnNursinHomes
    6:52 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Tim effin Teblow got a party on ESPN today??? You got to be shittin’ me. We are watching the greatest academic fraud in the history of collge and this is what we get? dammit, someone get OJ outta prison and get hom on UNC’s campus, like yesterday.

8. MCaron
    6:53 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

ESPN Website doesn’t have anything visible posted about this, so apparently, to them, it’s still a non issue. I feel like Lexington would be a reporter’s madhouse if the tables were turned.

9. bigbluejon
    7:07 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

down with diet blue!

10. barn
    7:23 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

if this were happening in lexington it would be like court days in mt sterling. you wouldn’t be able to get a hotel room in a 50 mile radius because they’d all be filled with sports reporters

11. Han
    7:45 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Not only did Kanter get infinitely more smear pieces written on him by national media, but obviously Eric Bledsoe’s transcript did too where countless sports journalists asked how he could’ve gotten a better grade in a class the second time around. Then there was the coverage Wall got for his trespassing issue (broke into an abandoned house with his girlfriend, I think). That’s just off the top of my head.

A decade or more of fake classes for football players, and undoubtedly more basketball players than just Peppers, at one of the elite basketball schools — if it weren’t for NCST fans pushing it, we’d never even have gotten an article out of Doyel. A couple “this could be worse for the football team with these 50 questionable classes” articles and the regular sports folks were back to talking preseason football and Tebow. The Olympics are over now. Time to actual pay attention to a scandal that could obliterate an era at a school.

Bias is just so obvious sometimes.

12. Blue4ever
    7:45 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Even though it is UNC and I’d love nothing more than see it spill over to the basketball program…I don’t know? Just me but after the Sandusky scandal it would take finding UNC had sold yellow cake uranium to Al Queda or the Muslim Brotherhood to get my attention.

13. Lock-Down
    7:46 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

That’s what Lexington would be on right now…lock-down. Hide Yo kids, hide Yo Wife…UK would be on lock-down!

14. Oblivious B.I.G.
    7:58 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

wait, what…. Tim Tebow is 25 today?????

15. rawromgmoo
    8:03 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Possible reason #4) ESPN’s president, John Skipper, is a UNC grad.

16. jill
    8:09 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Lol yall’s coach is a cheater and yall have to vacate lol. Cards will beat yall in football lol because we are an elite football program, ranked, and yall ain’t. We won the football National Championship in 2006. Lol Enjoy your basketball until you vacate Lol.

17. Roland
    8:24 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

It’s a birthday. Let’s celebrate a person getting closer to eventual death. Hooray, your closer to automatic death. I am so excited by everyone of mine.

18. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    8:29 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

jill – What color is the sky in the fantasy land in which you live?

19. Fake Nate
    8:52 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

I want to know who the chicken S coaches were that answered the unanimous survey.
    Grow some balls, guys, or shut up.

20. duh
    9:17 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

jill is a lost cause…how stupid. #19) I agree if you can’t say Cal cheats and put your name to it, then don’t say it at all.

21. need a translator
    9:26 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

I need a translator for jill, something about vacate their nat’ln championship, ranked near the toilet bowl,were not, enjoy the vacate championship, blaa,blaa, blaa. get the bird crap out of your mouth and tell us again how you admire our championship.

22. jills
    9:26 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

haha yalls a bunch of inbread hix who cant reed or spel words and such. haha louisvile is da best and we r smarter than yall rednecks. have fun with that football team vacatevacatevacate blablahblahblah. please someone shoot me.

23. jill
    9:39 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Thanks to all the well wishers…appreciate your thoughts…Calapari looks like Fred Flintstone in that picture

24. duh
    9:56 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Jill I saw that video of you on here doing that dance last week (didn’t read lol) and you looked like Fred Flintstone’s a$$.

25. jill
    9:59 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Yaba Daba do!!

26. jill
    10:14 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

24. thankx yalls i takes that as a comltemint. but yalls coach still cheats LOL.

27. jill
    10:24 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Bingo… Clark…

28. jaws2
    10:32 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

Guess what Jill, u of smell isn’t ranked, in fact no team in the Big Least is ranked in the top 20. Congrats on your delusion.

29. jill
    11:22 pm August 14, 2012 Permalink

we are too ranked in football…top 10

30. Beavis
    7:14 am August 15, 2012 Permalink

Proof,,,,,,if you have some proof that Cal cheats,,,,the NCAA would love to talk to you. That what I thought,,,,you have nothing other than your opinion,,which you are welcome to. I have my opinion of 15 second Rick and your football program. One question Jill,,what are you going to do if U of L does not beat Kentucky this year ? To horrible to imagine.

31. jills mom
    8:59 am August 15, 2012 Permalink

sorry everyone. we’ve tried to block our sweet little illiterate daughters internet connection, but even though she is dumber than a coal bucket she’s tricky…we are upping the meds on our poor delusional little girl. and some home schooling, obviously public schools ain’t makin’ her any smarter…

32. Beavis
    9:15 am August 15, 2012 Permalink

# 31,,,,PRICELESS LOL

33. CatWoman
    3:13 pm August 15, 2012 Permalink

Yep you can definitely tell Jill is a UL fan. Stupid and delusional!