— Cooler than the other side of the pillow —
A lot of sports figure are superstitious Some are religious. Others are just outright outlandish and eccentric, like the ‘Bad, Bad Leroy Brown’ impersonating former Cat pictured above. Jason Terry recently gave an interview and dropped some knowledge on our boy Rajon Rondo’s incredibly ridiculous pre-game ritual. Check it out in the words of the Terry:
Most unique pregame routine: “Rajon Rondo, for sure. His routine is long-winded and it lasts all the way through tip-off. It starts in the back hallway. He runs down a corridor and he throws the ball to our team chaplain, who throws it back. Then [Rondo] runs out into a circle, high-fives the whole team and then he does the layup lines for five minutes.
“Then he will stand under the goal and Paul Pierce will shoot every ball on the rack from half court. Rondo will catch four balls at one time and then after that, it’s just amazing — one pass off the backboard to KG, one bounce pass to Paul Pierce and then he throws it all the way up to the scoreboard and Jeff Green finishes with an alley-oop.
“It’s every game, even road games. I have no idea how he started it; I’m new to the team. I was still going through layup lines and I almost got hit with one of those balls in the head. I wasn’t aware that’s what they were doing. It threw me off.
“Before I came here, I had a ritual, and that was I’d throw the ball and make sure I hit the JumboTron. Some of them were way, way up to the ceiling, and I wanted to hit it every time. The funniest story is one time I hit the JumboTron, the ball came back and hit the ref in the head. I walked off so quick. It was Dick Bavetta.”
Rumors have been swirling about this year’s Kentucky players and their pre-game rituals. Here’s a few I’ve heard
while pre-gaming with friends around the water cooler:
– Julius Mays shoots between 400-500 three pointers before each game.
– Willie Cauley-Stein checks his twitter. Then deletes his twitter account. Then re-activates his twitter account and checks his timeline again. Rinse. Repeat. WCS does this over and over until his fingers feel nimble and warm around to catch any alley oop thrown to him.
– Ryan Harrow stares at himself in the mirror while dribbling between his legs for one hour straight. While doing this, he yells “How’s it sound now, Jerry?!” in a very deep voice repeatedly.
– Archie Goodwin sprints in circles around Rupp Arena until he runs into something, at which point he lays on the ground and waits for the ref to call a foul. After that, he shoots 200 consecutive free throws.
– Nerlens Noel breaks out his electric clippers and sneaks around the locker room like he’s a cast member from Jackass and shaves random bits of his teammates hair when they least suspect it.
– Jarrod Polson has an in-depth routine: (1) Listen to one Justin Beiber album all the way through. (2) Watch one full Ryan Gosling movie (he prefers Fracture for badassery). (3) Goes into the crowd and kisses no less than 5 random woman. (4) Fights off said women’s boyfriends. (5) Tip drill.