How Hard is Karl Towns, Jr. Recruiting Andrew Wiggins?

TownsWiggins

Answer: Just hard enough.  Towns and Wiggins are sharing a room for this week’s Nike Hoop Summit, and the 7′ 2014 UK commit has just about struck that fine balance between recruiting and relaxing.  When asked how actively he was pitching Kentucky to the 2013 phenom, Towns had this to say to Larry Vaught:

“I haven’t talked to him about Kentucky at all.  He has so much talent, but we are good friends. I just wish him the best for any school he picks. I want to let him enjoy the time here and just be friends and talk basketball and play video games. Stuff like that.”

This makes sense for a lot of reasons.  First, nobody wants Towns to be overwhelming.  I can’t imagine anything more annoying for Wiggins than to have a roommate that wouldn’t shut up about what he wanted him to do.  I remember one time my college roommate wanted to go to Rally’s, and kept talking about it all day.  It was awful.  Nobody wants that here.

Secondly, in every probable scenario, even if Wiggins picks Kentucky, he and Towns still wouldn’t play together.  Wiggins is a one-year talent if there ever was one, and the chances of him staying for a sophomore season (which would be Towns’ first on campus) isn’t even “slim-to-none.”  In fact, Karl Jr. isn’t even sure he’ll get to play with any of the big names from the 2013 recruiting class.

“They are all so talented. I would not be surprised at all if I go there and none of them are still there.”

So while we always have fun seeing some Cats in action at the Summit (remember that time Enes Kanter broke the scoring record?), don’t plan on this being a recruiting rendezvous between Towns and Wiggins.  Which is most definitely a good thing.  Let them hang out and enjoy themselves.  That’ll do more than any “pitch” ever could.

Article written by Corey Nichols

26 Comments for How Hard is Karl Towns, Jr. Recruiting Andrew Wiggins?

1. UKFSU
    9:14 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

Wow I never heard any of this before.

2. Steely Dan
    9:15 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

Do you even try anymore, Corey?

3. symphonist41169
    9:19 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

You could’ve burned a minute of your life reading this post or read the immediately preceeding post by Tyler Thompson to get the same info without the inane Rally’s analogy. What I really want to know is how is Karl Towns’ and his parents’ grammar these days? Surprisingly good? Geez, Corey gets worse every day.

4. Mike
    9:28 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

Couldnt agree more! Let them relax and enjoy! They are just kids!!!

5. jojovandaho
    9:32 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

man I try to give the writers here a break as they have to put out stories and there might not be a whole lot of new news very day, but come on this is basically just reprinting a story from yesterday. Matt you need to find someone to replace Corey or at the very least make him read the other posts on the site. He hasnt made a solid post in….. well ever.

6. Linda Ronstadt
    9:35 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

Rally’s?? Really?? I hope you don’t get paid for this rubbish every morning. Corey is the worst ever…

7. tom
    9:38 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

Have posted my view about Corey and his work on here numerous time. Ditto to thoughts above

8. Cotton Mash
    9:38 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

I’m thinking you didn’t survive your horrible experience…

“I remember one time my college roommate wanted to go to Rally‚Äôs, and kept talking about it all day. It was awful.”

9. if only
    9:41 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

we could get our program into a “2 and done” rotation…

10. M
    9:51 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

How hard is he recruiting him…just hard enough…..I haven’t talked to him about Kentucky at all…
    So shouldn’t the answer be…he’s not recruiting him? There’s no balance between recruiting and relaxing because he’s not recruiting him at all.
    This post is garbage throughout and another way to get clicks by using Wiggins name. I fell for it.

11. Bull Connor
    10:06 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

Karl Towns has good grammar too!! What has this liberal country came to?

12. Matt
    10:07 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

You literally just copied and pasted that first quote straight from Tyler’s night post didn’t you Corey? You are so lazy that you just recycle everyone else’s stuff for your mandatory 9 am post. What a sad, pathetic, pointless waste of time.

Matt needs to give the daily 9 am responsibilty to Dubya. His post yesterday was a breath of fresh air.

13. jaxcats8503
    10:29 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

There is a lot of recycled information on this site and I completely understand why. But, Corey’s 9:00am posts are by far the worst. I really wish BTI was still posting. His posts were at least thought-provoking or included some independent research.

14. warren
    10:36 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

Corey, thanks for info. Always appreciate your stories. Ignore the inbred haters. I like the early morning stories & updates. Keep up the good work.

15. Seriously
    10:41 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

14- is that you corey

16. HicksPickSix
    10:43 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

I’m sure Karl Towns is “well spoken” and “uses proper grammar,” right Corey? Pathetic post.

17. tom
    10:50 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

14. Either warren = Corey

or

you don’t ever read anything else here.

18. Frew Drunklin
    10:54 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

Last time I checked this site is free. If you don’t like it go somewhere else ya slag heaps.

19. catlogic15
    10:57 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

I can’t imagine Karl Towns and Andrew Wiggins living in the same room for a week and not one word spoken about Kentucky?

If Wiggins still doesn’t know, wouldn’t you think at least a smidgeon of conversation has taken place?

I find that hard to believe. Smokescreen? Hope so.

20. Mike
    11:12 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

Matt, if you want to come by, I will charge you less than the Bats admission if you want to read your book.

Seriously, I’ve never heard of someone that goes to a game to read a book. What is the point?

21. jeremy
    11:13 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

18. Frew, just because something is free doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be poorly done.

22. Kentucky Roots
    11:30 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

How dare you mention Rally’s and Karls Jr. in a post 3 hours before lunch!

23. Doesn't matter
    11:53 am April 19, 2013 Permalink

Seeing that wiggins will be out of college before Towns ever gets there I’m not sure what kind of recruiting pitch you want him to make? I mean he can’t say come team up with me and let’s win it all! He’d have to be like please use the hot/cold tub for a year, just so I can sit in the same water you did next year! Ha

24. Tonya Harding
    12:11 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

Instead of playing video games and pin the tail on the honkey, I wish Towns would find time to at least slip in the occasional sales pitch for UK… I would love to see Wiggins added to the already deep and talented team coming in.

25. Tonya Harding
    12:12 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

*donkey

26. smiffinator
    12:34 pm April 19, 2013 Permalink

#24 I find that talk very racist…