How far has Kentucky Football really come?

Two weeks ago today, the Big Blue Nation woke up angry. Angry after we witnessed our football team lose an overtime road game to one of the top programs in the conference. Last night, Kentucky just won by seven against Vanderbilt and fans were upset they didn’t win by more.

It is no secret that the Cats left points on the field last night whether it was through missed field goals or through turnovers; they should have won by more.

I just want to take the time to sit and think about that though. We are mad after back to back games, but it is mad in a good way…

Let me explain… In years past, when Kentucky fans were mad after games it was never in a good way. It was because the team blew a large first half lead to Southern Miss at home or they blew leads to Florida.

This team delivers a different kind of mad. When was the last time Kentucky football left me mad that they didn’t beat SEC opponents by more? Regardless of where Vanderbilt ranks in the conference, they have still been competitive in the SEC this season. Last night was no different.

We were mad that Kentucky didn’t beat Texas A&M on the road in a game where they didn’t have a play in Aggie territory until overtime.

Looking ahead, if the Cats don’t beat Tennessee by double digits on the road in November, I will be mad. Mad because they didn’t beat the Vols by more. When was the last time we could say that?

I feel myself asking myself a lot about this team. They’re just different.

Albeit small, these small things are just a small part of showing how far this program has come under Mark Stoops. He deserves all of the credit in the world for it. My mood has completely changed after watching games. I find myself getting upset that they don’t dominate teams more and the losses hurt more, but in all reality, isn’t that a good thing?

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

19 Comments for How far has Kentucky Football really come?

1. Trueblue44
    5:23 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Well put, couldn’t agree more with you. It’s a nice feeling in reality, to know that our defense is no longer a “bend but don’t break” style and now more of an “F you, you get nothing” style. If we can just become tolerable in our passing offense then this team can go from “damn good” to “special”. They drive me nuts but I’ll be damned if I’m not loving every second.

• TheAssman
      5:46 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Well said

2. Wade
    5:32 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Mad at the kicker, we’ve been golden from that spot and had years to find a quality kicker and he sits on the bench!

• TheAssman
      5:54 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

I don’t understand that either….could have cost us the game last night.

3. Bobbum Man
    5:51 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

We should’ve won by more? With all due respect if their offense does anything at all we should have gotten blown out

• bailey000
      6:04 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Our defense being amazing is why their offense sucked. Too many offensive minded fans. Defense wins championships. Just ask Bama. This year is the first elite offense they have had that I can remember.?

• Skooms
      6:28 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Amen Bailey! Some of our fans are still longing for the Tim Couch days. Yeah his teams were VERY fun to watch score, but people forget the other team usually scored more. We still sucked when he was here.

4. Larkin123
    6:08 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

It all comes down to having a mobile QB. Stoops thinks spreading east west with Wilson Is worth more than spreading out north and south with Gunner.

• Blue Bill
      7:19 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Uhhhhh. We are 6-1. Uhhh I think coaches whose very livelihood depends on winning is going to put the players in that give us the best chance to win. Of course the fan base always knows better. Ha!

• ktelectricatfan
      8:05 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

I couldn’t agree more. We see 3 hours once a week 12 times. Coaches see a ridiculous amount more so I trust who they play and when they play them. Arm chair coaches are always the best. Lol

• CombatMedic_98
      9:24 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

N look who’s talking…LOL

5. angscot1
    6:23 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Moving east west isn’t going to work against Missouri or Georgia. If it’s Wilson he needs to make throws or they lose 2-3 of 5.

6. Grazilla
    6:31 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Is it me, or do most good teams seem to go through a little mid-season funk? Always seems like LSU, Auburn, Ohio State always go through a brief rough patch. Alabama is always pretty tough the way through I guess. Maybe this is what watching real football feels like? I’ll hang up and listen. Thanks.

• WildcatCam
      7:14 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Crazy ain’t it? ? Lol

7. Grazilla
    6:34 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Here’s something else. It’s good times in KY football when instead of mid-season apathy you’ve got a #12 ranking and a QB controversy LOL.

8. dcforuk
    6:56 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

“good problems to have” !!! Every team (like every individual) has various problems and various failures. This season’s problems and failures are better than past seasons!! Humble and hungry and confident!!

9. zoupman
    8:55 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

If Terry doesn’t player beater, we get waxed in next two games. Coaches have done this team a disservice not getting Gunner more snaps.

• CombatMedic_98
      9:25 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

That’s a fact jack

• jaws2
      9:45 pm October 21, 2018 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more. This staff does the same thing EVERY year! We’re 7 games in and how many snaps does the 2nd guy have, 14? What if Wilson just goes down? We’re NEVER prepared for the backup, NEVER! They continually play the 1st guy regardless of performance either because they’re stupid or just too damn stubborn. I believe the record shows stubbornness.