How deep is your hate?

uk-ul

Louisville’s game against WKU recently got me thinking about just how much UK fans hate U of L.  Watching this game, I actually found myself “cheering” for Louisville – blasphemy, I know.  This was unchartered territory for me.  But my reasoning was this: If Louisville lost to the Hilltoppers (who are a mighty 4-9 so far), then what kind of respect would Kentucky get if they simply do what was somewhat expected and beat the Cards?  If the Cats won, it was just because they were supposed to; if they lost, fans would have to endure the “Western beat U of L, but you guys couldn’t!” comment all year long.   I’m certainly not saying that winning is the expectation now – Louisville is coming off a close loss to Georgetown and will be looking for blood when they come to Rupp Saturday.

I think there are two sides to anyone’s fanhood (and hatred) in college sports, and I find myself caught between them sometimes.  Do UK fans root for Louisville, ever?  On paper, there are a couple of good reasons to hope the Cards are actually somewhat decent year in and year out.  The Cats get a quality opponent each season, so fans don’t have to sit through constant cupcake games or hear talk about Kentucky “not playing anyone.”  Also, there’s just something about a good rivalry.  The reason UNC-Duke is such a great rivalry isn’t just because they’re located so close to each other, but also because the games between them are relatively balanced.  When both teams are successful, the rivalry is just that much more exciting. When Louisville puts forth a good team, you have to admit that watching them play the Cats is more fun.

All that is on paper, but what about what’s in the hearts of UK fans?  Would we rather have a quality rivalry each year, or would we rather beat the Cards to a pulp any chance that we got?  The worse that Louisville is, the weaker our schedule is and the less exciting our main rivalry is.  But, Kentucky is hardly a bubble team, to say the least, so why would strength of schedule be all that important?  And would fans sacrifice an exciting rivalry if they got to see UK blowing out Louisville every single year?

Believe it or not, I’ve seen both kinds of fans. My dad, who has been a Kentucky fan for decades, will actually root for all the teams that UK plays (including Louisville) because, in theory, it makes the Cats look better.  The more quality our opponents are, the more quality our wins are, to put it simply.  Not only does UK earn the respect of the college basketball world, but fans just hold their heads a little higher knowing that the Cats can beat the good ones.

On the other side of it, I have a friend who is one of the biggest UK fans I know, and he won’t cheer for Louisville under any circumstances.  If the Cards play someone like UNC or Tennessee, he’s of the “Let’s-hope-a-plane-crashes-into-the-building” kind of mentality. I’ll take this opportunity to give a small shout-out to this friend, who wore a UK shirt in the Louisville student section last night and was given a police escort out of the Yum! Center after the game.  Apparently, Louisville fans were getting a little too rowdy.  But, I digress.

So what kind of a fan are you?  Do you wish a loss on our opponents every time they step on the court?  Or do you swallow your pride for a couple hours and hope they win, as long as it’s not against the Cats?  I’m really curious to find out what everyone thinks about what constitutes a good rivalry and how deeply the hatred runs in our (blue) blood.

Go Cats.

Article written by Ashley Scoby

114 Comments for How deep is your hate?

1. Zoom
    9:05 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

There are great fans and then there are U of L fans.

2. Cedric
    9:06 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I would boo their chess team.

3. BUCats
    9:06 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Because I live in Louisville and am surrounded by UL fans, I actively root against the Cards. It’s much easier to deal with damaged Cardinals rather than ones with inflated views of themselves (see before the G-Town game)

4. JAMES MILBURN
    9:12 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

U of L is the devil. If we beat them by 100, it still wouldn’t be enough.

5. Wildcatfan
    9:12 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

The ul game is basically unimportant. It doesn’t matter if they are good or not. UK does not need another quality opponent. That sort of thing only matters to bubble teams. UK will be at the top if they play ul or if they don’t. I do not live in or near louisville so I don’t see the game as being that big of a deal. I see Tennessee and UNC as being much bigger rivals.

6. KidCody
    9:15 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I go to UL, and I make it a point to wear UK gear every day I go out. I wore blue in the UL student section to last year’s basketball game, and this year’s football game (one of those was much more fun than the other, but that’s part of it). That being said, I cheer for them in every game they play that’s not against us. Not because I want them to do well, but it just makes us look all the better.

7. Nassau65
    9:20 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

i would root for UL if they were playing Dook.

8. Don
    9:20 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

It’s simply a game for the fans, i.e. bragging rights in the State. It provides an OOC game vs a team from a highly regarded Conference, which helps our SOS and eventual seed come the Tournament.

As for rooting for UL, I would take a swim in salt water after taking a 100 lashes with a razorblade whip before cheering for them. #pointblankperiod

9. Brian
    9:21 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I would love to see us murder them every single year. I cannnot take losing to those bums as pittsburg players would say. Cause when youive here in louisville everywhere you go you have to listen to them flappin there jaws especially when I walk into a drunken College party at my buddies house where the majority of the people there are louisville fans. All in all this is what makes the rivalry so intense and so much fun and meaningful when you beat your rival down you get bragging rights for the entire year and get to wear that UK gear with pride when your around those dirty bird fans. I will be at the game this saturday and you can bet this cat fan will be on another level of hate. I hope we hound that team from the moment they set foot on the floor. Go Cats!#8

10. Stephanie
    9:21 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

My two favorite teams…..UK and whoever is playing UL. I cant root for UL no matter what.

11. Champ
    9:22 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Nice post!

12. HillbillyInBC
    9:22 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Because I moved away many years ago, and now live thousands of miles away from the Commonwealth, I can’t muster anything more than simple disdain and disregard for the Cards any more. They aren’t worthy of my consideration, let alone hatred.

13. Ken Tucky
    9:23 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I want them to lose every game so they will never sign a recruit that UK might have an interest in. Which is pretty much the way it is now.

14. BigBoy
    9:24 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Wishing that Loserville is successful to the point it enhances the rivalry, is simply wishing some degree of success on that program. Hell no. I do not wish any amount of success of any kind, no matter how minor upon UofL. Gag.

15. hagginhall
    9:24 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Can we get the carolina blue off the Wildcat already?!? Need a new graphic. smh

16. AT WORK
    9:28 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

i would like to be able to say that i can root for UofL when they are playing anyone other than UK, but i’m not that good of a person, i want them to lose, lose,
    lose, like this week i want them to lose all 3 of their big games, can’t help it.

17. Another Perspective
    9:28 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Hate UofL but would hate to see them become so irrelevant that we no longer care.

18. Sammydog
    9:33 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Never thought much about Louisville one way or the other until Coach Pitino took the job. I am one of those fans who can’t forgive Coach P for ever considering that job and was shocked when he took it. It was like Coach K taking the North Carolina job or Coach Williams going to Duke. Once Pitino is gone I will return to caring less about Louisville. I guess my hostility toward the Cards is more about the coach than the team.

19. shields eyes
    9:34 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Worst post ever.

20. arlie
    9:34 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

drop looavul from schedule, playing them only benefits them

21. kycatman
    9:35 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Lose,Lose Lose Loserville, Can’t stand to see them win, I only watch them on TV hoping they lose every game!! I know that is rude but, thats just me. Go Cal, Go Cats!!!

22. KidCody
    9:35 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Alright, who am I kidding. Deep down I’d cheer against louisville if they were playing the Al Queda intermural team.

23. Chardun
    9:35 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I hate Louisville, I hope they lose every game in every sport.

24. Doug Newman
    9:37 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Matt Indiana is and has been for forty years the team I despise. Certainly where you were sitting watching them play this year must have got your attention. I try to pull for ALL Kentucky teams when they play others as well as SEC opponents excluding Tennessee when Pearl was there whom I truly learned to dislike him when he coached at Southern indiana. Like Knight Pearl hates Kentucky. I do not think Rick HATES UK . As Indiana continues to improve you will see it will take a young lad like you a few years. Doug Newman

25. shutterbug
    9:38 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I am a big, big, UK fan but have never entered the area of “hate!” I hope that I never do. Basketballl is a great game of competition against five-on-five and I love it. However, hate, as far as I have learned, is not part of the game. Go Cats!

26. Al B. Sure
    9:39 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I used to cheer for both unless they were playing each other, but the UL fans make it impossible to have that mentality. The UL fans actively root for anything negative to happen to UK and never, ever give the ‘Cats any credit whatsoever. Screw them.

27. bung
    9:41 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

uk aint carolina blue…

28. Bob V
    9:46 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

When UL played the Russians back in the cold war. I rooted for the Russian. That says it all.

29. zartine
    9:46 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I’ll cheer for whoever they play unless it dUKe then I’m the guy that says “any chance they both can lose”

30. dgtuk
    9:46 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Why is it so hard for KSR to understand UK’s colors ? ….NOT SKY BLUE…..attention to detail folks….please

I pay good money for this site…oh…whoops…nevermind LOL

Oh yeah, by the way, can’t cheer for Louisville……ever with the “possible” exception of DUKE.

31. Henegg
    9:47 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Before moving to Louisville, I would cheer for the birds to win except for when they play UK. Now with being around all of those foolish bird fans, I can hardly stand the sight of them and i take pleasure in bird loses. The only exception would be if they play Puke.

32. Space between John Hods jersey and chest
    9:48 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I’m from dirtyville. Actually grew up on Eastern Parkway. Went to UK. I hate the entire city. i almost didnt go home to see my family for christmas bc i hate it so much. My wife doesent own a red shirt! The state bird usually gets the buisness end of my 12ga. if they are in my agrden. I saw Rick at Churchill Downs a few years ago and i turned my back. UL is 0-2 this week. I’m sleeping well.

33. yeahright
    9:49 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I’m “all things Commonwealth” with UK being the flagship. I want to sweep UT, etc., WAY more than beat UL. UL is just a minor annoyance in comparison.

34. dgtuk
    9:49 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Excellent response….Bob V #29

35. turkeyblue
    9:50 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I hate Louisville, their coaches, their team(s), their AD, and especially their fans. I hope they lose every game in every sport they play. I am tired of their jealousy and over inflated egos. I would pull for Duke, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Indiana against them every time. Hell, I would even pull for the Iraqi and Taliban AAU teams if they played them. I hate their mascot and gang symbol. I hate them so much I love Karen Sypher.

36. Space between John Hods jersey and chest
    9:50 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

#23 i just laughed so hard i died a little bit!

37. garfunkleo
    9:53 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

i would route for louisville when Crum was there. it was good for the state that we had two great teams year in and year out. i also route for louisville like this year up till they play us, i wanted them undefeated point. blank. period. when they came to us on saturday. But now that pitino is the coach and the fan base has fallen by the waste side, i cant stand who they are, and hate them every waking moment. The fans there are disgusting and make our great state look like we have a bunch of D-BAGS running around. I hate Louisville and i cant wait to run them out of the gym. POINT. BLANK. PERIOD.

38. Soup
    9:56 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I would rather kiss a chicken on the lips than root for a bird with teeth.

39. bigblue4
    9:58 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I say I want Louisville to win but then the game starts and I want them to get beat by 50 no matter who the play.

40. Bradclay
    9:59 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I am not an in-your-face fan. That guy was asking for trouble wearing a UK shirt to UL game. I would never do that.

41. beepthacreep
    10:01 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I would root for DUKE if they play LOSERVILLE, and i hate duke with a passion, but my hatred for those [email protected]%ckin maggets in red is beyond any hate i have ever felt.

42. BoDiazSatelliteService
    10:02 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

That pic is horrible.

43. katastic
    10:02 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I root for UK to win and UL to be #2. Pun also intended.

44. beepthacreep
    10:03 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I would root for DUKE if the play LOSERVILLE. I hate duke with a passion but i have never felt the hatered that i get when i think louisville. [email protected]#KING MAGGETS

45. Space between John Hods jersey and chest
    10:03 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

FYI I hate flat bill hats and chin straps!

46. sack boy
    10:05 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Great job Ashley.Good read.I think the way your Dad does.

47. Nix112
    10:05 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I wish Louisville would lose 250 games in a row in every sport and they’d disband the athletic program all together. If you lived in Louisville any length of time you’d understand. That fanbase’s inflated sense of self worth and constant chest thumping gets tiring very quickly.

48. Steve Fitts
    10:05 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Whatever happened to state patriotism? We should ALWAYS root for the other in-state teams when they are playing out-of-state foes. And yes, that does include Louisville!

49. Katdaddy
    10:06 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I hope ul gets beat every game!

50. Nathan Hale
    10:06 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Root for UofL? Are you serious? Give me a filthy card defeat or give me death!

51. KellyBruce
    10:10 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I hope UofL loses every game; However, I found myself a little sad last night after they lost to Georgetown. Of course, this is only because I wanted UK to give those dirty birds their first loss. I understand the concept of wanting them to win to make our win look better…and I can do that…for any other team but UofL.

52. Helvete
    10:10 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I bleed blue and hate anything red. I hope to see U of L get dismantled every time they step on the court. I don’t need to see them win to make UK look better, UK will look good either way.

To #10, I’m the same way and I’m wearing the “My two favorite teams are UK and whoever is playing UL” shrit right now.

53. KellyBruce
    10:10 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

** let me add that I NEVER rooted for UofL last night though…

54. Eric
    10:13 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I Love Kentucky and will always root against Louisville when we play. In the interest of being the capital of college basketball I want Louisville to beat everyone else they play up to the point we meet in the tournament.I want all teams in our area to outshine everyone else especially our neighbors to the east.

55. Mark Pope
    10:14 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

If louisville was playing afganastan i would root for the terrorist

56. Mark Pope
    10:15 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

If louisville was playing afganastan i would root for the afgans

57. Rondo's Headband
    10:16 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

UofL is dirty, they evil, they the debel, they low down dirty snitches, everybody hate em…

58. jesse
    10:19 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

you not suppose to hate…………….but i hate louisville…………satan vs louisville imon satans size

59. Doug Newman
    10:19 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

You people are all missing the point. Those that hate Duke for what! Do you think they care about Kentucky. I think the Louisville rivalry is worthy. But from my standpoint and I have been a Cats fan for 45 years Indiana will ALWAYS remain at the top but I respect those of you that despise Louisville. But Duke should not even be mentioned in the same breath as IU and UL.

60. Doug Newman
    10:19 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

61. Twitter Account Denied
    10:20 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I always root against Louisville no matter who they play. I have occasionally rooted for the roof to collapse.

62. catfanatic
    10:21 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I hate people who say they pull for both teams you can not be a true U K fan and pull for U of L. My two favorite teams are Kentucky and who ever is playing U of L

63. Mark
    10:23 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

What is WBA?

64. awesometron
    10:27 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

You cannot be a UK basketball fan and root for UofL. It is simply not possible. The whole “it makes UK’s win better if UofL has a good team” argument makes no sense. You do not cheer for your rival. Even suggesting this makes me question thi

The truth is, I wish UofL would lose every game they play. EVERY game. I openly root for whatever team UofL is playing. When UofL had their preseason intrasquad scrimmages, I wished both teams could somehow lose. Is this hatred irrational? Probably…but I am completely fine with it. That’s what being part of a rivalry is about. Being irrational at times. I despise that school, loathe that mascot and detest that athletic program…and I love it.

GO CATS!!!

65. Mark
    10:31 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

WBA??

66. ribin
    10:34 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Game vs UL is ‘bragging rights’ only — Better UK opponents do during the year – -the better for UK when they win.

67. BlueBlazerCat
    10:36 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I have family that are UL fans and it ruins the holiday season (as well as the rest of the year)to be around them and their obnoxious comments about UK and their overinflated view of how great UL is. When UL has success then recruits and others outside the state consider them as a quality program. UK must maintain dominance within the state as they are the Flagship University. Ever since UL was given status as a state university their primary goal has been to put down UK in every area of academics, research and athletics. If there is a level of disdain above hatred then that is how I feel about UL. I agree with #24 but at a higher level.

68. UKBlueBlood81
    10:37 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Nice post, Ashley. I put our big rivals into two buckets: those I hate and always root against (Duke, Louisville, UConn) and those I want to beat but don’t always cheer against (Kansas, Indiana). I’ve noticed over time that my feelings can change and the key determinant is RESPECT for the coach. To wit, I used to hate UNC when Dean Smith ran the 4-corners, hated Hoosiers when Bobby Knight was coach, and did not hate Louisville when Denny Crum was there. I now hate UConn because of the low-life coach they have in Jim Calhoun, and can’t stand the constant whiner Mike Krzyzewski. On that note, you must see this link:

69. Tennessee Wildcat Fan
    10:39 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

My two favorite teams are Kentucky and whoever is playing Louisville, especially being coached by Benedict Patino.

70. Brad
    10:40 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I cannot under any circumstances root for ul….ever…no matter how much better it makes uk look….i hate ul!

71. kentuckyjoe
    10:41 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

There is no hatred at all. Just respect. I root for them every time unless they’re playing UK. One reason is Rick Pitino. Here’s one Cat Fan that isn’t forgetting ever what he meant to our program.

72. Jimi Garden of Eden
    10:46 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

My intense dislike for ul runs deep…deeper than whale s–t on the bottom of the ocean…

73. QUICKIE RICKEY
    10:46 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I love to see the TARDS get beat by the sisters of the poor teams. POINT BLANK (.)
    SOS doesn’t mean a whole lot when your talking UK. Look at the SOS last season and UK got a 4 seed.

74. @_mr_exquisite_
    10:48 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I hate the dirty birds with everything I have.. I once started talking to a girl that at the time I didnt know was a Lousiville fan. When I found out she was, I ended it. Lousiville can kiss my ass. Point blank, period!

75. @_mr_exquisite_
    10:49 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

*Louisville

76. Joe
    10:53 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I am for beating the filthy cards to a pulp. We can worry about quality wins elsewhere.

77. Joe
    10:56 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I am for anyone beating the Filthy Cards to a pulp. We will worry about quality wins elsewhere.

78. Real Cats Fan
    10:58 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I’m sure I’ll get labeled as “not a Real Cats Fan”, but I don’t actively root against UL. I can understand some of the UK fans who hate some of the UL fans because of the back and forth smack talk, but some fans take it to a different level from just good natured back and forth sports talk. I have friends and family who are UL fans, and for the most part they are easy to get along with, although I can expect to hear a little jab or two if UK has a loss. Of course, I dish it right back to them when UL loses – that’s what makes it fun. But some folks take it too far – for both sides. I have seen a UK fan buddy get in a fight with a UL fan over bragging rights, and to me that is simply ridiculous. I’ll go on record to say that I have been a UK fan for as far back as I can remember, but I graduated from UL (had a scholarship – couldn’t turn it down). I have attended UL basketball games if a buddy had a free ticket, although I don’t actively root for them. If UL loses, it’s more of a feeling of amusement for me – I am not pissed for days like I am when UK loses. However, I think having UL as a strong program helps the stature of basketball in the whole state of Kentucky. If they fell off into irrelevance, then that just gives the state of North Carolina a leg up on us. Have fun with the rivalry folks, but at the end of the day, don’t lose sight of what it is – just a game.

79. #Rise
    11:01 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I try rooting for the tards when they are not playing UK but as soon as the game starts my Louisville hate drive kicks in and I hope they get beat by 50 every game.

80. buzzard
    11:02 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I live in louisville. I hate UofL with a passion and cant stand to even look at Pitino, but would pull for UofL if they were playing Tenn. Indiana, Duke or North Carolina. After all, it is Louisville, KY. and it is only a game. I hope we beat the Cards by 50 on Saturday!

81. Mr. Peabody
    11:06 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Just like rooting for the Mayfield Cardinals….I’ll do it when they play others….but I have to admit I chuckle when they get a surprise ..like this year…UL is in state and I’ll pull for them until they play Murray, UK or Western. I’ll never pull for Duke, NC. I’ll always pull for the SEC when playing outside confrence…except Murray…go CATS/RACERS/HILLTOPPERS!!!

82. Ryan U
    11:06 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I NEVER root for Louisville. Point blank. Period.

83. Ryan U
    11:06 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I NEVER root for Louisville. Point blank. Period.

84. Frumious Bandersnatch
    11:12 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

82 – ?? Who is Mayfield?

85. thefan
    11:16 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I will never root for the Cards, and why would you? If the Cats lose to anyone Card fans will get on any post and laugh about it and say Cal is a cheat, To me if you root for UK and UofL your not a true fan, Most Card fans can’t even name 3 people off the team. I hope U of L loses every game.

86. BlueChuck
    11:26 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I would not pull for Louisville if they were playing an all-star team that was being coached by a reincarnated Adolf Hitler. I will not even let my wife wear a red dress. Any UK fan that lives in Louisville probably understands this.

87. Where is my refund Fan outfitters?
    11:30 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

First of all,KY has played UNC, Kansas, IU already and have ul coming up so the weak schedule arguement is a myth. The Cats cant play every team in the top 20 before New Yrs day. Geeze, looks at other teams schedules too.
    Second, I hope we beat ul by 50 and they lose every game the rest of the season.
    GO CATS!!

88. Dave in Kabul
    11:41 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

My Dad is a UL fan. Used to have a decent connection for tix and such. I tried to root for UL and cheer for them. I attended a UL football game with him. I put on a UL Jersey and wore it to PJ Stadium. I couldn’t do it. I wound up taking the JErsey and throwing it in a trash bin at the Stadium at halftime of the game.

I actually felt dirty and wanted to take a shower after acting like I gave a damn about UL. Strange. Because prior to that experience, I really didn’t dislike UL all that much. They were more like a bitter taste in the mouth after downing a bad drink of milk or something.

After that, I just found the whole UL thing distasteful.

Still don’t hate them. It’s more apathy than anything. Mixed in with sympathy. Similar to how I feel about UK Football. Though, I’ll wear a UK Football Jersey from time to time. I still hate that part of UK that crushes UK football hopes decade after decade.

89. serdi
    11:51 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

I have no hate for Louisville. I don’t live in Jefferson County. I graduated from UK in 1976 so I grew up and graduated from UK without Louisville being an opponent. We have to play them now…big whoop. We gain absolutely NOTHING from playing Louisville. We are supposed to win. When they win, they can’t stop yippin about it. It is an embarrassment to lose to Louisville. My rivals are North Carolina and Tennessee first and foremost, then Florida, Mississippi State, and even Indiana before I even put Louisville in there. I am sorry, I just can’t get into the Louisville rivalry…It is only mildly interesting now because Pitino is there. When he is gone after 2017, it will once again be just another game on the schedule for me….I been with the Cats since 1966. Sorry, Louisville just doesn’t do it for me.

90. KentuckyHouse
    11:52 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Hey, jackasses complaining about the Carolina blue wildcat graphic at the top of the post…STFU. Jesus, that’s an OLD graphic from about 30 years ago (probably before most of you little farts were born). What, is KSR supposed to photoshop every graphic they use so it’s perfect UK blue? God, could you find something else to complain about?

Now, on to my comment on the post. I had a laugh-out-loud moment when I read about your friend and the plane crashing into the arena because that’s EXACTLY how I am. In fact, I’ve said that exact same thing on many occasions. And not only when UL is playing someone like UNC…but when UNC plays Duke…or UT plays Florida…etc. I hate UL with every fiber of my being. I, too, have family that are UL fans (one cousin was a cheerleader for UL a few years ago and she married a guy that played baseball there). Love them both dearly…but when it comes to their fanhood, I pull no punches. To make things worse, she grew up a UK fan, but morphed into a UL tard fan while attending there. Here sister also attends UL, but she’s still a UK fan and married a guy (thank god!) that’s also a UK fan.

Great post!

91. Fan from Glasgow
    11:54 am December 29, 2011 Permalink

Nice post Ashely! Keep it comin. But I like having a good game every year against the filthy cards

92. YouKnowImRight
    12:07 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I root for all the teams uk plays except for Lville. I would rather beat them by 100 every year and our SOS be 2 spots lower than it would if ul had a good season

93. AminuTimberlakeBlocksAnthonyDavis
    12:11 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I watch a helluva lot of college basketball, but I don’t “root” for ANY other college basketball team besides the Wildcats. Point blank. Period.

94. I Have A Problem
    12:15 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I watch every single UL game and root against them as hard as I root for Kentucky in all of the Cat’s games. It’s sad and not really healthy, but it makes me happy.

95. Ap
    12:22 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Even tho I hate UofL, I don’t really root against teams. Can’t stand people who watch uk, just hoping they lose, so they have something to talk about. Besides I would rather every team we face be undefeated when we face them.

96. Bob V
    12:22 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

After we beat them like a drum, I have always hoped all UL supporters would Imitate Lemmings and run and jump into
    the Ohio River off one of their crappy bridges but that’s just me.

97. Bob C
    12:59 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Louisville sucks and Pitino is the devil. I wake every day hoping some unfortunate event effects the Tards. We are Superman and Louisville is our Lex Luther.

Here’s Ten reasons why I hate the cards.

1. L
    2. O
    3. U
    4. I
    5. S
    6. V
    7. I
    8. L
    9. L
    10. E

Every minute of every day, Hating the cards…

98. B Howard
    1:00 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I will just make this observation. It is childish in my opinion to talk about how you “hate” the other team. I have been involved in sports all my life (as a player and fan) and never do I talk about hating another team. UK and UL both have goofy fans that take things to the extreme. Fans need to keep things in perspective. Its not that serious. You need to have fun with it and not take it so personal. If you really think about most of the comments on here, they paint a pretty sad picture of the mindset of the fans.

99. best1978
    1:10 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I actually feel sorry for them. They want so much to be relevant and to be “big time”. But, they are the Rodney Dangefield of sports. They finally got UK’s coach but that hasn’t worked out too well for them. They finally got into a BCS conference just in time for everyone else to leave. Their ex-UK coach chastised the other programs for leaving just as UL was trying to go to the Big 12 but lost out to West Virginia. They are second in popularity in their own city. It really is sad.

100. cousin it
    1:16 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I will never, under any circumstance root for UL! I wish the Ohio river would make a turn and follow I265 during the next flood season.That way we wouldn’t have to be associated with that city ever again.

101. mark
    1:18 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I will NEVER EVER root for Louisvile under ANY circumstances!! If they are playing Duke or UNC i would rather the world to end than to see either one of them win!! GO CATS!!

102. InternationalPhilosophy
    2:02 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Been a UK fan for years, but I want all the schools in the state to do well, from Murray to Ky Wesleyan to Morehead to UK and yes, Louisville.
    When UK and Louisville go at each other I pull for UK but it’s not a disaster if UL wins.
    Have never understood hatred for another school or team. It’s immature and borderline psychotic to invest that much emotion in a sports rivalry.

103. Geno'sCats
    2:44 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I HATE RED! SANTA SHOULD WEAR BLUE!! NEVER, NEVER, ROOT FOR THE CARDS!

104. its in my blood
    2:49 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I know some may call it childish or unsportsmanlike, but having one really good villian to always root against no matter what is almost as much fun as being a die-hard fan for any team, take your pick.

I am a Kentucky transplant, having lived my first 18 years in South Bend, IN. For any that are geographically challenged, that is NOT IU country, but the mythical wonderland of a college sports town by the name of Notre Dame. I lived less than a mile from ND stadium and hated anything Irish all my life. Then in 1998 I went to school at UK and was introduced to a whole new rival in Tennessee. And Duke. But there was no mention of the small school down I-64 that wears red & black. Just another opponent.

Fast forward 6 years and I moved to Louisville and discovered how pathetic and obnoxious the UofL fan base really is, and my new nemesis was born. It really never sank in until I moved here though. I love the city, just hate the fans. Like others have said, I not only root against Louisville, I tune in to every FB & BB game to make sure I don’t miss a loss.

We all have our vices and things we would like to change about ourselves, and I know that hate can be an unhealthy thing. But a Louisville loss always makes me smile. (That, and still a ND defeat too!)

105. Lol
    3:21 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Wouldn’t root for em if they were playin Russia in the o games.

106. Jack.....
    3:21 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Back in the 80’s I had a tee-shirt that had a wildcat with a headlock on cardinal and beating the crap out of him. The caption read “Louisville Who????”

I loved that shirt……LOL

107. Robbin
    3:24 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I don’t watch UL unless they are playing UK. Does that answer your question? You have to watch them to pull for or against them. I dislike them enough I don’t watch or listen to anything they do. Living in Louisville you hear all kinds of crap from the fans.

108. Tim farris
    3:31 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I try to root for u of l but i can,t , dont know why but i even live here in louisville but started watching when issel was playing maravitch at lsu so i can say its a life long love affair with the cats and not so much with the cards. I have heard so many card fans say that they dont like cat fans. They resect the program though. I dont get it are cat fans so hateful to card fans or what. Are they jealous? I dont understand the atitude i get from them i try to keep it on the up and up

109. Tim
    3:43 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I cant pull for louisville ive tried , live here in louisvile but cant suport them go cats . I have been a cats fan ever since issel was playing against maravith

110. Bob
    5:29 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Include me in the group that wants UK’s wins to mean something, so I don’t mind for the Cards to win when they play someone else. Also include me in the group that doesn’t understand why the ‘Cat in your graphic is wearing UNC blue.

111. :syaS
    5:53 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I will never root for Louisville. Never, never, never, never! If you could clone Christian Laetner and form a team of just him and have them play Louisville, I would root for Laetner and his clones. Point blank, Period.

112. Flyingfishman
    7:22 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

Click here to discover the depth of my hatred for all things UL

113. Kenny H
    9:04 pm December 29, 2011 Permalink

I’ve tried to watch UL over the years. I’ve even tried to root for them but by halftime I’m rooting for the other team. I remember as a kid pulling for the Cards when they were in the Missouri Valley Conference, when John Dromo coached them. But when Denny arrived and started all the they won’t play us crap, I stopped pulling for them. I wish we did not play today. I agree with Adolph Rupp we should not play in state schools. We gain nothing by playing them.