Highlights From Matt Elam’s Sunday Interview

MattElam

This past weekend, UK target DT Matt Elam joined Larry Vaught, Mark Buerger and former UK star Anthony White on WLAP’s Sunday Morning Sports Talk. Alabama, Kentucky and Louisville have been recruiting Elam for a while, but more recently Tennessee, Ohio State and Notre Dame have entered into the picture for Elam. In Sunday’s interview, the John Hardin High School star mentioned a few interesting tidbits about his visits and relationships with each of the three schools who have been pursuing him harder.

Elam on Tennessee: “They recently offered, but I don’t know because I visited and came away with no offer.” He left from his visit thinking he “will remember this”. One assistant coach told him he was “too big” on his visit, but after he started watching film, he called Elam and told him he was a “perfect fit”. Tennessee has now offered and Butch Jones has been calling back-and-forth to try to make the relationship better, Elam says.

On Ohio State: “I loved their coaching staff and I keep in touch with them a lot. It’s a great opportunity for me to play there.”

On Notre Dame: “The coaches told me I could come in and play early, and change their program.” Elam says the campus was beautiful and he moved the Irish into his top six after visiting.

To hear audio of the conversation, click here and you can go to the 35-minute mark to listen in on his comments about the three schools who have more recently entered his recruitment.

Article written by John Wilmhoff

Former beer vendor, college mascot and ESPN editor. This spring, you can also find me blogging about the Reds on blogredmachine.com. Follow me on Twitter: @JohnWilmhoff

24 Comments for Highlights From Matt Elam’s Sunday Interview

1. MRob
    2:07 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like he’s not too interested in these schools. He’s a CAT mark it down.

2. Al/in/Indy
    2:08 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Stay at home Matt, At UT, OSU, and ND, you’ll be lost in the maze of other guys who’ll never see playing time. At UK you’ll be “THE” man.

3. Ridge Runner
    2:08 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

This guy is like the “recruiting saga that won’t end”. I think I have seen more stories and pix from him than any recruit in history. We will either be very happy he is aboard or happy it’s over…if ya know what I mean…lol

4. JF
    2:17 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

3. I remember a lot of people saying the same thing about John Wall, when that recruiting was seemingly going on forever. That turned out pretty well for us.

5. Honky Kong
    2:19 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

3- No Wiggins was recruiting saga that would never end. KSR posted every time he took a dump….

6. Ridge Runner
    2:22 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

4, hell…I can remember several basketball recruits some as you said turned out well and some didn’t. But what Stoops has did is create yet another excitement level aside from basketball and it bleeds over to now a pigskin recruit watch. That is simple amazing. Still….we could have a Elam-a-day watch which would be kinda cool. We already do but it’s just not formal.

7. Ridge Runner
    2:23 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

5, see my 6 post. Pigskin recruits are not akin (as they say) to such publicity. Stoooops!

8. blueinbardstown
    2:29 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Ridge, you are so right. Another example of how far we have came in football.

9. UK
    2:31 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

If Elam comes to UK, him and Barker will go down as legends!

10. Ridge Runner
    2:35 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

9, I hear ya. In fact, I’m not sure we as fans even have wrapped our minds around this incredible year yet -and may not for another year or so when they begin to play on the field.

11. TDog
    2:38 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Elam said about a month ago he was announcing in January during the All American game. We have time to wait.

12. bluristhurr
    2:38 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

LOL @ Notre Dame – Coming off a national title game and they tell him he’ll change their program. Sounds like they’ll say anything for a pitch they think the big guy wants to hear. I think he’s a KY lock more and more watch out for OSU though I would of probably spun UK for them in my young days.

13. Elam
    2:41 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

If I go down as legend, it will depend on me.

14. Ridge Runner
    2:48 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

12, cool. That’s like 6 months of more pix and stories. I’m tellin’ ya we need to boot BTI from the 9am slot and go with a “Elam @ Eightam” post every day. k….? Ah nevermind.

15. Bobbum man
    2:49 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Tennessees coach sounds like an idiot. Too big? Had you never seen the kid before? Had you never watched film of him before? You would think if the kid is coming to visit you might know a little bit about them

16. Do whut?
    2:50 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

#13 did you see that national championship game? We very well may play Bama better this season. He really could change their program. He’s an SEC caliber player.

17. Bobbum man
    2:53 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

11- that’s funny, what an idiot. Also funny that he’s a Dlineman and his name is Dee Liner, pretty awesome!

Elam will be a cat!

18. MustangCat
    3:13 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Love this kid, and he’s from my town! Hear good things about him all the time. Can’t wait to see him in UK blue, hopefully! WOuld like to see him take a pic with a different expression on his face though?! Hope your listening Matt….

19. Awaiting Moderation
    3:20 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Elam will be a cat, and will be Kentucky’s version of Mount Cody…Mount Elam….I like it already

20. Mr Obvious
    3:28 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

For those of us in Louisville, John Hardin HS will travel to play the opening game of the season against Seneca HS. A chance to see Elam and another possible UK recruit, Tubman, play on the same night. But watch out for the Dirty Bird fans as they will probably be there as well, unless Matt drops them before then!

21. NL
    6:42 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Notre Dame would be a middle of the pack SEC team. I’d pick Tennessee over them. I have no idea why recruits like them so much. Plus, Indiana girls are so ugly

22. Yep
    8:02 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

Elam is the single most important recruit we will land this year.

23. Jimmy Beaumont
    8:48 pm July 30, 2013 Permalink

I truly believe this kid loves Kentucky, and I know the Big Blue Nation already loves him. I for one will patiently await his announcement in January. Well, kinda patiently.