High schooler talks trash to John Wall, loses game of one-on-one

Tyrek Coger is the 60th best center in ESPN’s class of 2013 rankings, but he’s No. 1 at running his mouth. Coger started jawing with John Wall at the Reebok Breakout Challenge recently, so Wall, in street clothes, challenged him to a game of one-on-one.

I don’t think these two were joking around.

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for High schooler talks trash to John Wall, loses game of one-on-one

1. scouting
    11:10 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

guess he didnt read the scouting report… let john wall shoot hahaha true

2. Megalodon
    11:10 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

His picture just screams “I’m a punk”, doesn’t it?

It was slightly entertaining, but neither were giving much effort. I give the kid credit for owning up to getting beat in the interview afterward.

Wall’s J was a tad inconsistent, which was shocking. (sarcasm)

3. Juice
    11:17 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

2… Really? Looks like a punk? Some people are so close minded

4. Billy boy
    11:19 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

Boys will be boys! Just a typical big headed high schooler that thinks they can do anything. Dont he know wall posterizes NBA centers? hahahaha. The kid did pretty good though. Wall could have really shut him down though. He shot over the big man like nothing.

5. mandm
    11:21 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

Looks like wall still cant shoot, and the other kid can.

6. jp123
    11:30 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

What an idiot. That kid only really got about 1/2 of Wall’s game. It wasn’t like Wall was really playing defense on those he scored. Wall didn’t even try to defend the jumpers. No reason to hurt himself trying to prove himself to a hack.

7. Shoe Strings
    11:30 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

Please tie me.

8. Loopy
    11:32 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

I think I recognize the expression on that kid’s face. You think he’s one of ‘Toine’s kids?

9. Short
    11:33 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

That guy is a little small to be a center, no?

10. JWCATFAN
    11:37 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

He looks like Antione Walker….gimmie a little shimmie Tyrek!

11. Han
    11:43 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

9) He looks like he’s only about an inch or 2 taller than Wall.

12. tyson
    11:55 am August 21, 2012 Permalink

i bet JW’s manager, publicist, and sponsor had a talk with him after this. don’t play high schoolers, and if you do, MAKE SURE it isn’t on video. no upside for JW to do this and plenty of downside to his “brand”.

13. Joe
    12:08 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

I was real impressed with that guy’s game. For a “big”, he could handle well and he could shoot terrific. Very impressive! I think he helped his overall ranking with that game.

But he doesn’t look anywhere in he neighborhood of 6′-9″ or more, which is what I’d call the appropriate height for a center.

14. CATSCATSCATS
    12:15 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Ya there ya go, run your mouth to the #1 NBA draft pick and see what happens. What a complete idiot. Go back to the classroom kid.

15. Rick Pitino
    12:15 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

That high school kid played Wall a lot tougher than suck a$$ Peyton Siva did

16. Head Bussa
    12:23 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Nothing wrong with this kid believing in himself. I think I would love to have such a kid on my team. You see all those other kids giggling, nervous, and would never step up to John Wall. This kid, Tyrek Coger, may be a “punk” in that over-confident way, but I am very, very impressed by his will to compete, his belief in himself, and his obvious skills. I would certainly take a kid like that on my team any day of the week. If he isn’t scared of John Wall as a young pup, do you think he will ever be scared of anybody he plays? He looks to be a very nice basketball player and I’m sure he’s better than the 60th ranked center in the nation. The kid showed a very nice jumper and a knack to compete against the best. This is the type of player who will continue to work to get better and be as good as he can be. I really respect this young man and look for him to become a nice player in college.

17. Syphino
    12:24 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

No defense, a weak shot and runs his mouth. Looks like both will fit right in with the NBA. Love me some Wall but at least put a hand up on jump shots and stuff that high school kid.

18. Head Bussa
    12:25 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

If anybody looked to be a “punk” though, it was John. He truly showed that the kid got in his head and he should not feel so superior to any basketball player that wants to challenge him.

19. jcpostel
    12:28 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Baffled that people are reacting seriously to this. JW in pants and untie shoes. pants. …cool video though

20. TheMadCatter
    1:20 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

That kid reminds me a lot of Renardo Sidney.

21. bigbluejon
    1:48 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

Love the dunk JW threw down, and the look of defeat on Koger immediately after

22. SeoulCat
    2:07 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

By my count, it was 11-7 Wall over kid. That’s not bad for a kid in high school against the former #1 overall pick in the draft.

23. mloco
    3:01 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

John Wall throwing down wearing skinny jeans!

24. Devastation INC
    3:42 pm August 21, 2012 Permalink

NBA 2nd yr pro jawing with a HS kid? Agree there is no upside to this either.