Henry John Heinz’s Thursday News and Views

BREAKING NEWS: Detroit News is now reporting that JAMES YOUNG WILL PICK KENTUCKY tomorrow at 5 pm when he makes his announcement. You can read the story here.

Let me start off by saying that “mustard people” weird me out. I’m not talking about people who like mustard. That’s fair, understandable even. But people who dislike ketchup and forgo it on a regular basis in favor of mustard– those people I just can’t see eye to eye with. I can’t trust them. You know the old saying, “you can’t trust someone with two first names?” Well for me, you also can’t trust someone who only puts mustard on their hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. I’m sure they were raised by great people and even have a good heart, but I just simply will never fully understand it.

Henry John Heinz was born on October 11, 1844 and he later founded the “57 varieties” of Heinz Ketchup. Heinz Ketchup is probably one of the most widely recognizable brands of ketchup, popping up in restaurants and households across the country. Ketchup has greatly improved many food products by providing the perfect complimentary flavor and zing to food such as french fries, meat loaf, hot dogs, hamburgers and even macaroni (I’ve seen it a lot, people). Or if you are like one of my close friends from college, you steal ketchup packets for your room and eat them as a snack after a late night of…studying.

Lesser known fun fact about Heinz 57 Ketchup:

What does the “57” stand for in Heinz’s famous slogan, “57 Varieties?”

While riding a train in New York City in 1896, Henry Heinz saw a sign advertising 21 styles of shoes, which he thought was clever. Although Heinz was manufacturing more than 60 products at the time, Henry thought 57 was a lucky number. So, he began using the slogan “57 Varieties” in all his advertising. Today the company has more than 5,700 products around the globe, but still uses the magic number of “57.”

And now on to some news and views from the day…

– The biggest news on the day came early this morning when word of James Young making his college decision tomorrow broke. James Young will be making his announcement via an ESPNU special tomorrow at 5 p.m. Unlike the Harrison twins last week, when most of the experts didn’t feel entirely comfortable making a wholesale prediction, with Young most of the experts feel very good about Kentucky’s chances. Evan Daniels of Scout, who plays it close to his vest if he’s not sure, seems confident that Kentucky will be his destination of choice. Daniels also stated on his Twitter account that the “presser won’t be suspenseful. Only one school still involved.” All sources point to that school being Kentucky.

If Young does in fact commit to Kentucky tomorrow evening, Calipari will have already wrapped up the #2, #4 and #5 recruits (according to ESPN) in the 2013 class. And guess what? He’s just getting started, folks. Calipari mentioned today that he hopes some of his already committed recruits are on the job recruiting more to join what could very well be the greatest recruiting class of all time. “I hope we have a few guys on the phone today,” quipped Calipari.

— For those who enjoy a competitive SEC (my hand is raised), if James Young commits to Kentucky, the only 6 committed players of the current top 10 players in the 2013 class will all be playing basketball in the SEC. Most for Kentucky. None for Auburn. Ever.

– The other news of the day, which struck a bit of fear into Big Blue Nation was the report from ZagsBlog about Nerlens Noel’s eligibility. Matt broke it down earlier, and I see no need to add anything new, as we have not heard anything further and probably won’t for a while. In case you missed it, here’s Matt’s take:

“There has been slight panic across Big Blue Nation today about the ZagsBlog story concerning the eligibility of Nerlens Noel. It is a little complicated, but I will make it simple. Noel is currently academically eligible…that much is good. Now the question is one of amateurism, specifically some associations with folks he had around his high school days. The NCAA hasn’t yet made a ruling, but with practice beginning this weekend, the 45 day grace period has begun that allows Nerlens to practice while his eligibility is being decided. The only reason this is news now is because practice is starting. So don’t sweat it…it is what everyone assumed would happen. If there is a time to panic in the future, we will let you know. But now is not that time.”

– Even though the hype leading up to Big Blue Madness has been clearly focused on the basketball team, the Kentucky football team is gearing up for a big road game against Arkansas this Saturday. Although it feels a little silly to even say at this point as a possibility, Kentucky is nearing the “absolutely must win this game” stage (and every other game from here on out for that matter) to hold on to any hope of becoming bowl eligible. Technically, it is amazingly still mathematically possible… though I think most can agree highly, highly improbable. Heading into the game as an eighteen point underdog, and winless since the Kent State game, is probably not the ideal position to be in– to put it nicely. Kentucky will face off against a talented SEC quarterback, and a top 25 passing team. For Kentucky, who currently has a very depleted secondary, the challenge is daunting.

– Jalen Whitlow continues to improve with each week. As opposed to last week, when the coaching staff did not give rave reviews of his week of practice, Joker Phillips seemed more pleased with Whitlow heading into this weekend’s game. “He has been really sharp.” Whitlow has been getting 75% of the snaps.

-If you don’t think injuries have been a huge factor for this Kentucky football team so far this season, you’re kidding yourself. Just take this tidbit from Phillips’ meeting with the media today: Teams normally travel 70. UK is taking 68. When asked why, Phillips said, “that’s all we got.”  Kentucky was plenty healthy enough against Western Kentucky, and they still lost that game, so it’s hard to say whether or not the results would be vastly different, but the number of injuries has continued to pile up. Joker Phillips had this to say on the number of freshmen and sophomores making this week’s trip: “I’m a little scared to even sit down and look at it.”

– Speaking of injuries, Martavius Neloms, Mikie Benton and Ashely Lowery did not practice again today. If they don’t practice tomorrow, they won’t travel to Arkansas.

– Big Blue Madness is just around the corner, and I think people are starting to get just a little bit excited for UK basketball season. (The picture below is from the Tip-off Luncheon)

– Speaking of Big Blue Madness, which is now just a few night’s sleep away, the guest list was upgraded significantly today. The #1 player in the 2015 class, Karl Towns, will be in attendance on Friday evening. Towns spent a lot of time in Lexington this summer being saturated by everything Kentucky basketball while training with Calipari and the Dominican Republic team. Although Towns has been making his rounds on the recruiting trail, including a stop in the Swamp for a Florida football game last weekend, one would have to think that Calipari holds a major edge in his recruitment.

– As we mentioned earlier in reference to Calipari’s speech at the Kentucky Basketball Tip-Off Luncheon, Calipari had some kind words for Rick Pitino. Pitino returned the favor this evening when discussing his team and college basketball in general. Pitino praised Calipari, calling him a “great recruiter” and also said that he is “great with coaching young kids.” In other news, Pitino also said the sky was blue and Russ Smith likes to shoot.

Gary Parrish came out with an article today in which he named his “College Basketball Dream Team” with players from teams from this year’s upcoming season. First and foremost, the list itself showcases just how down the landscape of college basketball will be this year. Second of all, Parrish did not select a Kentucky player for his Dream Team, but did appoint Nerlens Noel as his “redshirt player.” Parrish also included Kenny Payne on his list of assistant coaches, and a couple of Kentucky targets in his “Recruits to Target” section,

Redshirt:

C- Nerlens Noel (Kentucky) “I’ve got Zeller in the middle and some adequate big reserves. I’ll let Noel sit for a year and develop, then block shots for me in 2013-2014.”

– One interesting tidbit before packing up the notes and calling it a night: Duke is planning a major athletics facilities upgrade in the near future. The proposed upgrade includes adding more seats and new features to the 83 year-old football stadium. Two things of note with this random bit of news. 1) Duke is a basketball school. Duke is taking a major step by pouring more money into the football program. 2) With the financial support and commitment to football, perhaps Duke will be able to hang on to David Cutcliffe, who has become a name popping up as of late for a potential coaching change at Kentucky.

And last but not least…Happy hopefully James Young commitment-eve, folks.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

40 Comments for Henry John Heinz’s Thursday News and Views

1. lambinated
    11:18 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

hahahahahah bowl eligible aahhahahahaah

2. Tom
    11:19 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

I like ketchup, but can’t stand ppl who use half a bottle for fries…it’s a condiment or an addition, not to drown your food in

3. Austin Aries
    11:20 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

Cutcliffe has not & will never be a hot coaching name at UK. Way to lobby for more “moral” victories ksr.

4. 44 Stitches
    11:44 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

Tom #2 hates me.

5. Zero Burn
    11:47 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

Dirty Harry would disagree

6. Trust Me, I'm a Doctor
    11:47 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

“If you don’t think injuries have been a huge factor this season for Kentucky, you’re kidding yourself… Kentucky was plenty healthy enough against Wester Kentucky, and they still lost…”
    It is not hard to say if the outcome would be vastly different. You put the facts out there well Ally, but you don’t have to sugarcoat it; UK would still be in the same predicament, healthy or not! Just call it how you see it and you won’t get your ars ripped on this site as much as you do.

7. SeoulCat
    11:53 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

Welcome to BBN, Mr. Young!

8. Dave Ball
    12:03 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

more than reasonable hypothetical…Wiggins reclassifies to 2013…gets ranked #1 in ESPN…everyone slides down a spot…UK lands him and Julius Randle…and has the #1, #2, #3, #5, and #6 in the ESPN rankings (with Jabari Parker the odd man out)…if that were to happen, perhaps the UK swag most sought after will be drool cups and the “Undefeated Season” hype (here it comes Bobby Knight…your “COMEUPPANCE”…Cats 40-0 in 2013-2014??) will commence…oh my

9. PPat
    12:10 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

“Heinz Ketchup is probably one of the most widely recognizable brands of ketchup”… Are you sure? Not if Hunt’s or GreatValue has anything to say about it

10. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    12:22 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

i used to like ally tucker then i found out she puts ketchup on hotdogs 🙁

11. Ally Tucker
    12:25 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

10, it was good while it lasted though. I’ll try to win you back.

12. Nbacats
    1:01 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Terrence jones with 20 and 6 in rockets preseason win over okc and was #3 on sc top ten

13. finally
    1:05 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

NCAA looking at Kabongo from Texas. About time they look at somebody that attends another school.

14. UKus2012
    1:06 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

No one seems to be panicking over this Noel news. I am however. We have to have him play we just have to. Need him BAD! Season over if he cant play.

15. Isaac in Long Beach
    1:29 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

15- That’s what we said about Kanter too… And this situation is more John Wall than Kanter… Just sayin…

16. DerbyFan
    1:43 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Whitlow actually throws a nice ball. Give him a shot down field. It will never happen because the coaches don’t give him any confidence. This staff sucks. I feel sorry for the players because this staff calls plays like pusssies. If I was a player with any other prospects I would leave tomorrow. I could coach better than this. I would coach better than this. I post this without any doubt in my mind no matter what any dope says.

17. Phantom Phreak
    2:38 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Starting lineup: Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, James Young

18. Big Whoop
    5:25 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

I hate to break the news, Ms Tucker, but the WKU game was the “must win” game. The KSR Glee Club seems to want to convince us that all our problems are the result of this year’s injuries when, in fact, our problems were first noticed with the BBVA bowl game against Pitt. Uh, we lost to a team with no head coach! That shoulda told you something.

Hot Dogs – ketchup for kids, mustard for adults.

19. Jim
    5:57 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

I am excited about James Young. He is a heck of a ballplayer, and he wants to be a Cat. I really like that the fact that he knows what he wants, so why waste time looking at other schools and dragging this out. He should be commended for that. I am hoping he is at BBM on Friday.

We really need Randle and Lee in the front court, and of course, Wiggins if he reclassifies. But we do need some front court help now.

20. Jezz
    6:12 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

19- Do we ? I could see both Wiltjer and WCS staying so…

21. Catlanta
    6:26 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Heard a basketball recruiting guy on Bill King’s show (Rivals Radio) the other day. Bill asked him about uk’s recruiting success. The recruiting guy praised Cal and UK. But he threw a jab in as well. He said you don’t sign the top class 5 years in a row by doing everything, 100% on the up and up. He said it is not possible in today’s recruiting world.

22. DIM
    6:29 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Will anyone post details about the fight between matt and beisner that caused him to be fired? Ksr keeps deleting any post that mentions it so it must be true.

23. DirtyDutchMantel
    6:49 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

I heard Matt got beat up but have not heard any details.

24. BravoBigBlue
    7:00 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

KSR give a rest! YOU are the only source reporting anything about David Cutcliffe being head football coach at Kentucky. IT AIN’T GONNA HAPPEN. The powers that be (not Nitch B) will not allow that to happen. Same as when Cal was hired. Cutcliffe has been passed over so many times by so many programs. He couldn’t even survive at Ole Miss. He is not and will not be the answer at Kentucky. And if you’re honest, you’ll talk about how Mitch’s job is in jeoparday. Because it is, make no mistake about that.

25. Axe Cop
    7:10 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

I’ll explain the ketchup/mustard thing. You’re a child with child-like tastes. Ketchup is mostly sugar whereas mustards actually have flavor. When you grow up one day, your tastes will change and you’ll understand. Maybe.

26. rainman
    7:23 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Heinz 57, and Heinz ketchup are two different products!!!
    BUT, I don’t get the mustard thing either!!

27. tom
    8:07 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

#10 Amen. Feel the same way. Sounds like Ally has never experienced the culinary benefits of a Chicago hot dog. Most hot dog places in Chicago don’t even have a bottle of ketchup in their store. Mustard lives!

28. UK Snuggie
    8:25 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Why the swipe at Auburn? Keep in mind that Sir Charles Barkley played for Auburn and he’s been quite the supporter of UK during CBS coverage of the tournament over the past couple years.

29. barn
    8:28 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

why does ksr usually reference espn’s recruit rankings? rivals and scout seem to be more accurate.

30. Catsfan82
    8:28 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Working in Troy, MI for the week – 15 minutes away from where Young will be announcing. Gonna be there to represent the BBN…hopefully I make it out alive.

31. Practical Guy
    8:42 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Traveling 68 players when you are allowed to travel 70 is ridiculous. For the head coach to say that is all he has got is insulting to both your players that practice day in and day out and the BBN and not reward 2 players for playing on your losing team is demeaning. This head coach is out of control. Final straw for me, my season tickets will not be renewed.

32. shrineguy
    8:47 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

I think the “57” refers to varieties of pickles. Or it could be the way the Cats can beat you.

33. Gay Ryan Lemond
    8:49 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Remember to go to http://www.dickvitaleonline.com and vote for UK as the preseason #1 team in college hoops. We are currently leading IU by 150 votes. Keep it up BBN!!

34. CatGrad7072
    8:52 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

57 might be the number Arkansas scores on us. #31: ‘All we got’ is just another example of Joker not thinking before he speaks. He talks like a position coach which I hope he soon is.

35. barn
    8:52 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

don’t give dookie vee any hits. screw him. we’ll see who’s #1 come march

36. Al's IndiCats
    9:08 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Another great job Ally. My question is this about Joker and Sanders, not by any means am I or have I’ve been a HS or college football coach but why in the name of all that’s holy would you keep your QB in the pocket when in fact the offensive line can only keep him safe for half the time of other opposing teams? With Smith and Towles out, Newton not up to snuff, your QB has to get some extra time to see down field and sprinting out (not running for his life) might just buy him a few extra seconds to throw the ball 4 yards on a 3rd and a 12. They’d have to keep a LB close incase if he runs thus making at least one WR one on one.

37. BPM
    11:11 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

You mustard people/ketchup haters are so refined in your taste sensibilities. Must be big grey poupon eaters.

38. Oliver
    11:27 am October 11, 2012 Permalink

Ally, you should be aware of a pudding Heinz makes, Spotted Dick, available at Kroger and Meijer.

39. Biglaw Dawgin'
    4:08 pm October 11, 2012 Permalink

Ally,

I like ONLY mustard on my dogs and burgers, and ONLY ketchup on my fries. Do I fall into this category of “untrustworthiness”? I feel as there are many others out there like me. Mustard on the meat, ketchup on the carbs, I always say. Ok, I never say that, but it’s pretty catchy right? Ok, maybe not, but whatever, that’s how I like to eat my shiz. Anyways, kind of freaking out about this whole untrustworthiness things, so get back to me.

Your trusty friend,

– Doug Max

40. Mustard Man
    4:18 pm October 11, 2012 Permalink

“Ally” and “Tucker” are two first names. Boom.