Harrison twins will sign late, but don’t read into that

The Harrison twins won’t sign their LOIs until the spring period, but don’t let that worry you.  Jason Jordan of USA Today (who is killing it in recruiting scoop these days) spoke to the Harrison twins about their decision to sign late and the Kentucky-bound guards want #BBN to know they won’t be changing their minds.

“People will probably run with that, but it doesn’t mean anything,” Aaron Harrison told Jordan. “We’re just making sure everything stays the same with coaching and things like that. Just a precaution I’d say. We won’t be changing our minds though. Not going through that again.”

So, there ya go.  Don’t panic when the twins hold off on signing that dotted line.

USA Today: Signing day lessons

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for Harrison twins will sign late, but don’t read into that

1. Archie
    2:33 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

I know they say it does not matter but I still don’t like it.

2. tom
    2:36 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

ALWAYS worry until ANY elite recruit signs the dotted line. Look no further than Terrance Jones. While I would be surprised if they went somewhere else, this is a bit unsettling. Are they worried about battling Jared for the startign PG spot? (just joking)

3. Ukfan
    2:39 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Why wouldn’t Cal just call them and give them his word that he will be here next year? I don’t like this news at all. When is Coach Cal going to start recruiting players to play for Kentucky the school instead of Cal the coach? That way when he leaves kids will still want to come here. Hope nothing more comes out of this..

4. Just Say No to Harrow
    2:39 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Can’t wait til we have a real point guard again, it’s been two years.

5. Big Daddy
    2:40 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Most don’t truly “sign” anyway, just a financial aid agreement which is non-binding. If the coach leaves they can anyway. Not many good players sign LOI’s any more.

6. Just Say No to Harrow
    2:40 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Nevermind 3 years Knight was a shoot first point and I forgot I didn’t like him either when I thought back. Clutch shot against Uconn Brandon.

7. Steve Knowlon
    2:42 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

@ZachPeddicord

8. tom
    2:43 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

3 -UKfan…I wish it were like that again too, but sadly things have changed. Players go to the coach these days, at least at this level. I was stunned, for example, when I read that Cauley-Stein had never heard of Lattner’s shot that beat us in 92.

9. (Guy In The Photo)
    2:45 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Twitter name @ZachPeddicord. Both Harrisons were extremely nice and were more than willing to take a picture with a die hard Kentucky fan. I trust them when they say it is for precautionary reasons. Just be happy that they pledged verbally and be even happier when they sign in the spring.

10. Han
    2:45 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

In other words, they just want to make sure Cal doesn’t go to the NBA or retire and they get stuck with Crean or something.

11. Musehobo
    2:46 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Seriously folks, chill. John Wall did this, and several of our boys have done it recently. Has Cal lost anyone yet? No. This just makes sense for them. They have nothing to gain by signing early. Heck, if you don’t want to believe Cal would leave, think about it this way…what if something happened to him? No need to sign yet.

12. Oogie
    2:49 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Did people learn nothing from Tubby (and BCG for that matter)? The University of Kentucky does not sell itself to recruits. Those days are LONG gone. Of course they’re coming here for Cal and what he can do for them.

13. The Internet Troll
    2:50 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

I will panic about this and anything else I want too Mr. Franklin and there is not a damn thing you or the nose whistle can do about that!

14. bigbluejon
    2:57 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

They are playing for Calipari, not Kentucky. And obviously they don’t fully 100% trust that Calipari will be here next season. I can’t blame them, remember– hes not a Lifer.

15. Mack
    2:58 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

That really sucks, what’s the backup plan? Maybe they won’t come unless Coach signs Randle!

16. Jughead
    3:04 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Relax. They will come if Cal is their coach.

17. Jonah Hex
    3:05 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

If Cal left, they can go elsewhere as well. So, why not sign?

18. Nathan
    3:06 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

#3 and #8, Kids always have signed for a coach and not for the school. The only exceptions are kids who grew up rooting for a school and were somehow blessed with the opportunity to play there. As for the 92 shot, WCS wasn’t even born, so do not know why you hold that against him. Kids are stupid to sign a LOI, no positives for them at all, especially for elite talent.

19. NJT
    3:08 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

This indeed does not bode well for UK. One can only imagine that the Harrison twins have connections to insider information that tells them it is a possibility if not “high likelihood” that Cal will be gone after this year and ergo so will the Twins never set foot on the UK campus……..this most definitely does not bode well…

When you run this kind of high risk, high reward system with Cal….you eventually pay the price as UK is destined to do sometime soon.

20. the source
    3:09 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

What is Scott Bishop’s take on this?

21. Cayuts8
    3:11 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Rumor is they’re going to go play in Europe because Mutt Romney lost and their whole family is leaving the country in protest

22. The realtiy
    3:11 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

From their perspective, I can see waiting. It’s not the case this year, but let’s say last years team decided, hey this is fun and they all decided to stay? It would have changed the mind of Archie and Alex and Nerlens about coming here. On the flip side, by not signing and they get injured this year, it could back fire.

23. Dale
    3:23 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

They are just waiting to see if the state is going to secede from the union.

24. averageUKfan
    3:24 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!

25. putinrichie
    3:32 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Why are they worried about CAL leaving this year? I don’t expect him to stay at UK another decade, but I think he definitely stays through next season. I think CAL wants to win at least two titles at UK. That would not only give him more than Pitino and his mentor Larry Brown, but it would silence his critics even more that said he couldn’t win the big one.

26. putinrichie
    3:35 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

If I had to guess, I would say that Cal leaves UK in 2-5 seasons, but I think he wants to coach next years team.

27. monty
    3:37 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

This isn’t good news. I think there is more to this than the Harrison twins are leading on.

28. over the hills and far away
    3:38 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Good lord people, calm down !

29. Jones Returns
    3:43 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Lakers are looking for an ego manager…errr i mean coach

30. Mack
    3:43 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

23) Great Point! Now I feel better! If Texas leaves then NCAA would handle them the same as if they were from Turkey and wanted to play at UK; we know that doesn’t work.

31. Shawn
    3:45 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

If It didnt mean anything they wouldnt be waiting. Oh It definitely means something.

32. monty
    4:04 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

31 – Agree. Still think there is a 90% chance we get them, but very dissapointed they won’t be signing. I don’t like that they left the door open to go somewhere else.

33. Dee Snuts
    4:31 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Scott Bishop just posted on his blog, “Nothing to worry about in regards to Harrison twins. They will be in Lexingont as scheduled.” Scott has trouble spelling “L-e-x-i-n-g-t-o-n”, apparently.

34. tyrus
    6:21 pm November 13, 2012 Permalink

Succeeding from the union…the union that gives the Commonwealth back 100 times more in tax dollars than it collects would be disastrous plus just plan stupid. To the crazy talking heads in Texas…as my dad would say, “Don’t don’t let the door hit you in the A**”!

35. UKBlue1!
    7:24 am November 14, 2012 Permalink

#8 WCS was born after the shot. Most of the players don’t remember 1996 or the 1998 championship teams. However, they all know UK has a strong history and tradition.