Harrison Twins Eligibility Not a Concern

harrison

At least 5-6 times a day I am asked the same question. Should we be worried about the Harrison Twins eligibility? Based in part on a rumor that (as far as I can tell) was started on a UL message board and then took on a life of its own online, a story has continued to progress on the internet that the Twins could potentially be ruled academically ineligible before the start of this basketball season. In recent days, the story took on more of a life as a name got attached to the rumor (Marc Maggard) and it began to get repeated as truth by a critical mass of people throughout the BBN. We discussed this on our radio show on Tuesday, but since there are a few people who don’t listen (and that really is a shame folks), it is worth repeating here.

There is nothing to worry about concerning the Harrison Twins’ eligibility. The rumors as to a potential problem are just that and after investigating them earlier this week, there is no truth to any problems with their status. The name associated with the rumor (Marc Maggard) has disavowed it and said he has never mentioned it and thus it is unclear how it continues to be brought up by fans of both the Cats and the Cards. But the bottom line is, you shouldn’t worry. The Twins aren’t on campus because they graduated late and they haven’t yet been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse. But that is not a reason for concern. There are other UK players who have not yet been cleared, including at least one that is on campus. This is the way the system works and it is just a matter of getting the green light from the NCAA. I am told that there are no particular worries about the Twins and all expect them to be on campus and leading the UK “Revenge Tour” Super Team next year.

So if you hear a Card fan friend of yours repeating the rumor, do two things immediately. Yell at them, as John Short taught you, “Shut up, THAT IS NOT TRUE!” and find new friends. You will feel better.

Article written by Matt Jones

57 Comments for Harrison Twins Eligibility Not a Concern

1. Ner Lens
    9:32 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

All you had to do to was say the name Marc Maggard and I will stop asking questions. The guy has a problem with the truth and makes things up to make himself feel good.

2. RahRah
    9:40 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for finding answers, Matt.
    CATS 2014!

3. banarama
    9:40 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

#wrong.on.purpose.again. it gets clicks. and #1, i agree completely.

4. wardrobe malfunction
    9:43 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

ah yes, the frosted one. that splains it. what a tool.

5. Woods3030
    9:45 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Wait Maggard is still alive?

6. 4BarCat
    9:46 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Marc Maggard is my hero!! Shut Up!!!!

7. Sex Panther
    9:47 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

63% of the time, they are eligible all the time.

8. Mass Confusion
    9:53 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

6. you’re about the only one posting there. what happened to Maggards new site that was supposed to be up months ago?

9. big O
    10:00 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

10. Lebron's ESPY Tux
    10:00 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

In fairness to Maggard (I know that stirs up the minions), he never said anything like that about the Harrisons. At least not on his site, Twitter or Facebook. Matt, you have his phone number & could call or text him and ask whether he said that or not rather than repeatedly saying, “someone told me Maggard said this.” That would be a better service to your readers, even if it doesn’t fuel the personal feud between you two.

Seems it was just something made up by UofL fans or UK chicken little fans. Hopefully this silences it once & for all.

11. BackdoorSlider.com
    10:03 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Nothing says liar like some frosted tips. He better watch himself before the twins come and rip his still beating heart out ala Temple of Dome.

12. Devo
    10:04 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Where can I find Marc?

13. brain
    10:13 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Since MM said he had nothing to do with it why do you associate him with it? You’re a very small person.

14. Lil c
    10:14 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

It’s almost August and the twins aren’t even on campus yet???? That’s not good!

15. UKBlue
    10:16 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Seriously people, keep up; if you’re going to take the time to send Matt messages, then you obviously have time to listen to the show. Either listen to the show or podcast to hear whats going on. Stop calling the show asking the same questions over & over again.

The only thing the UL fans need to worry about is the Twins running all over them in December.

16. James Young
    10:19 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

I’m not on campus either.

17. UKBlue
    10:20 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

#14 They couldn’t enroll in summer school, which means they currently aren’t students, which means they can’t practice with the team or stay in the Lodge. What are they supposed to do, just roll into Lex, stay in a hotel room, and just hang out?

18. Marc Maggard
    10:25 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Some people seem to have a problem with comprehending things. I’ve NEVER said anything about the twins not being eligible. Some dipshits CLAIMED I said those things and people run with it. I’ve never said a word about the Twins (or any other UK player) being ineligible. It simply is not true.

19. Jody Demlimg
    10:31 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

On the tard board, I said all of uofl’s incoming players have gone through the clearinghouse and are eligible. Kind of odd that all 5 of there players are fine and we have 4 that are not cleared. Those four are the Harrison twins, young and randle.

20. Lil c
    10:31 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

#17. I don’t care if they stay in CAL’S garage. They need to get here… Now!!! 2 1/2 months to bbmadness! Haven’t heard a peep outta James Young either. I know it’s the middle of summer, but this time last year we had a half dozen videos of pickup games floating around on YouTube! This has been the quietest summer break since CAL’S been here. I should have known something is wrong.

21. RJ
    10:33 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

These rumors were started and perpetuated by people who have no clue how the summer semesters work at UK, and how you can’t enroll in them if you’re still actually in high school a week into the second session. They’re so short that you can’t just say, “Can I miss a week or two of class and still enroll?” All it takes is a little common sense. Even if you’ve never been to UK, just go to UK’s site and look at the schedule.

22. BBN
    10:36 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

20) Young was ruled ineligible as a high school freshman. So, it is not like he is a good student.

23. Neil A.
    10:37 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

#17 is spot on to why the twins and Young are not on campus.
    I thought Matt mage it very clear in his post that he spoke with MM and he said he has never said a thing about ineligble people. Seems to me we need to move on to something revelant, like who is going to be top scorer, top rebounder, top 3 point man, top defender.
    My picks in order, Aaron, Randle, Wiley, Young and Andrew.
    Followed very closely by, Randle, Lee, Andrew and yes, Poythress.

24. Nolecat21
    10:39 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Who’s Marc Maggard?

25. Neil A.
    10:39 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Sorry for some of the misspells

26. Reality
    10:41 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

21) according to the site where the Harrison twins went to school, the last day of school was May 21st. That was last day of finals for seniors. The rest of the students had to go into June. Graduation was I’m June, but they had zero
    Classes after may 21. You cannot tell me they couldn’t enroll on time at uk. They could have worked it out with the school.

27. SeaCat
    10:42 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Matt, this should have been addressed long ago.
    why not shut it down weeks ago?
    weak…

28. Two4Two
    10:44 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

I thought if you were not cleared by the NCAA you could not live on campus. Isn’t that why the twins had to leave in the first place?

29. Lil c
    10:48 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

#27. You know why it wasn’t addressed until now? Because there are still a lot of questions and uncertainties! You know what’s worse than starting 4 freshman? Starting 4 freshman that only played together a couple months! This has shadyness written all over it. James young is nowhere to be found. What are the twins doing to stay in shape, and not get rusty? Because it sure isn’t building chemistry with there teammates!!! This sucks, we need answers!

30. Lil c
    10:50 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Here we are worried whether or not Wiltjer is coming back, and yet the twins and James Young aren’t even on campus!!??? Priorities people, priorities!!!

31. The ghetto
    10:53 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Matt you have to take this down now! If the loserville fans read this their little hearts will be crushed. Their only hope of beating us by having every single player of ours being ruled ineligible is now over. Awww who am I kidding?!! Those delusional ul fans will find some other hope to get stuck on, like a sharknado hitting the blue courts while our boys are out hooping.

32. I know nothing
    10:54 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Lil c, chill bro! Step away from the edge. Enjoy life, it is to short to worry about 18 year olds.

33. Hmm
    10:55 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

I hate to say it but something fishy is up here. I don’t care about who started the rumor. Fact is that Randle isn’t yet cleared but is on campus. Why not the twins and young?

34. Lil c
    10:56 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

#32 Your’re on here at 11pm at night. I’d say YOU are worried about 18 yr olds!

35. NineWillBeFine
    10:57 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Lil C-

I don’t mean this to sound mean, but are you mentally challenged? It’s been explained countless times why neither the twins or Young are on campus yet. It really isn’t that hard to comprehend, is it?

36. Truth
    11:03 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Don’t fall for the company line, there are issues with a few of our recruits. The fact is the Harrison twins took their last class on May 21. Yes, the walk through graduation was in June. But all seniors at their school took there finals on May 21. The rest of the school had to go longer. You would have to have your head buried in the sand to think two high profile athletes couldn’t work something out with there high school. Once again, they got their diploma in June, but all seniors at that school finished on May 21st. Let that soak in.

37. Lil c
    11:04 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

#35. No, I am not. I’m not the only one that thinks something is up. Sure it’s ” cool” to come on here and tell me to relax or ask if I’m ” mentally challenged”, but the fact of the matter is, there are the major players that are not on campus yet. You and the others can act like you know what’s going on, but if you’re a die hard fan (like me), I guarantee you are as nervous as any of us, and asking why they aren’t enrolled yet.

38. Lil c
    11:05 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

#35. See, I’m not the only one that thinks something’s up.

39. NerlensSays
    11:34 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

you guys gotta relax. If you remember I wasn’t approved until later as the NCAA makes a special effort to look into higher profile cases. When you are taking in top 10 guys they are gonna make sure everything is double checked. Does UL have anyone in the top 10?

40. C'mon Man
    11:36 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

41. Big c
    11:44 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Lil c shut the fug up! If you are worried about anything you are either a UL fan or really stupid. Probably both.

42. Good times
    11:51 pm July 17, 2013 Permalink

Man, thought I was a die hard fan because I travel to watch the team, catch every other game on TV/radio, know player stats/backgrounds and have more apparel than JD Becker, but I guess what I really need is to bring the same sense of urgency to every online rumor that I would for a high profile governmental scandal. I call for an interrogation panel! Let’s water board these terrori… I mean journalists. We need answers! Geez. #DisproportionateResponse

43. Good times
    12:11 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

Cal: You want answers?
    Lil c: I want the truth!
    Cal: You can’t handle the truth!! Son, we live in a world that has NCAA by laws.. And those by laws happen to be guarded by idiots with inflated egos. Who else is gonna get our student athletes to eligibility? You? You, Truth? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for your old Kentucky home and you curse KSR. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that this shat takes time and while complicated is just part of the process.. And my job, while incomprehensible to you, is to manage that. You don’t want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
    We use words like player’s first, championships and lottery picks …we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use ’em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the hottest basketball program I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I’d rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a phone and call Emmert.. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you’re entitled to!

44. UK Fan
    12:17 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

First of all- read Cal’s comments from the SEC summer teleconference. He himself said the twins and young would be on campus at the end of June and would try to get into classes. If they could not they would come for a couple long weekends and enroll in fall. That is what CAL said.

They can’t enroll in classes before receiving their diploma which is why they can’t stay on campus. Randle is enrolled in school so he can be on campus he just has to clear the NCAA before playing. Nerlens didn’t arrive on campus or become cleared until August so just chill. I’ve never seen so many people believe ridiculous Internet rumors until this….. And George Zimmerman winning the lottery. Think about it people. If they weren’t academically ready wouldn’t there be a national story already like that of Chris Walker? I think so. If you believe the rumor and are legit worried then you spend too much time on twitter and don’t follow any credible sources.

It is NOT a requirement for athletes to take summer classes they are fine. Chill and enjoy this ride to #9

45. Chicken Little
    12:22 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

Dang, even I think you’re overreacting.

46. SeaCat
    1:24 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

I hope this is no big deal.
    But why did Matt not address this
    and squash the rumors earlier…

47. Marc Maggard
    1:31 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

“Maggard, this same “I didn’t say it, people said I said it” thing happens to you way too frequently for anyone to actually believe it anymore.”

Dude, I’ve got a website, a facebook page and twitter account…. it’s pretty damned easy to see if I say something. Don’t complain about me because you are too lazy to check out something you “hear” was said by someone….

48. Marc Maggard
    7:44 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

Sandy Bell will get these thugs eligible

49. RJ
    8:57 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

#21, 36 – last day for enrollment in the second summer session was May 15th. If you haven’t even taken your finals yet, you cannot enroll. Again, it’s not complicated.

50. RJ
    8:59 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

My bad, #26, not 21.

51. bbr
    9:22 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

“If the twins are not on campus because they have not been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse, how can another player be on campus who has yet to be cleared? If one player can be on campus then how come the twins cannot do the same. Doesn’t add up!!! Clear this up for us Matt.” That’s simple – being cleared by the Clearinghouse simply means you are clear to compete. It has nothing to do with whether you can be on campus, be a student, even workout with the team. The twins were not able to enroll as students for the first summer session at UK becasye their high school graduation was late. Since they are not students, the university cannot provide housing for them. The other player mentioned (could even be more than one)is probably enrolled and taking classes and therefore can receive scholarship related benefits. The Clearinghouse process is a slow one. My son went through it last year for a fall sport and it does not move fast. There were no questions or issues with his application and he was a straight A student and it still took a long time. It is just a slow process.

52. Marc Maggard
    9:31 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

If Andrew is not eligible and Aaron is eligible, they will swap identities
    Cal needs Andrew a lot more

53. RICK
    9:49 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

I heard Teddy Bridgewater was being investgated by the ncaa and may not be able to play next year for the cards.I have a very good source my horse told me and i know you have all heard of a talking horse, MR ED, and this whole post is a bunch of horse shit.

54. ukbbfan
    9:52 am July 18, 2013 Permalink

Maggard?!?!!! Wow. I thought we properly disposed of his credibility (and frosted tips) years ago and threw him out with the BCG trash. Weren’t they BFFs? Only a card fan would believe that tool. He’s to KSR what Newman is to Seinfeld. Maggard…

55. TT's Fake Boobs and Rat Face
    9:04 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

lil c is a cards fan.

56. Neil A.
    11:21 pm July 18, 2013 Permalink

#43
    That’s well done, I’m still LMAO.

57. ray ray
    2:03 am July 20, 2013 Permalink

I love how you cats and cards go at it—you both have good programs and rich traditions–keep up the battles