Happy Marcus Lee Day!

^^^Hopefully all of us, at 2:31.

Wow, this is getting a little ridiculous, isn’t it?  In the last two weeks, Calipari has had three elite recruits commit to a blockbuster 2013 class, and today, it looks like we can up the record for consecutive weeks with a top-50 verbal to three.

Folks had a little bit longer to anticipate the Harrison and Young commitments, but 15th-ranked Marcus Lee put less than 24 hours between announcing he was going to decide, and the actual decision itself.  Good for Marcus Lee.

Because it’s always a fun day when a kid with this sort of talent decides, I can’t possibly interrupt the streak of “_______ Day.”  So here we are for the third week in a row, partly because my superstition makes sure I’m consistent with these things.  I guess it’s good that I’m also wearing the same underwear and haven’t shaved my playoff beard, but I would have done those things regardless, so that’s neither here nor there.

Lee, who has a “preexisting friendship with the Harrisons,” seemed to really enjoy his visit to Big Blue Madness over the weekend.  And “seemed to enjoy” is about as big an understatement as you can find.  Lee tweeted the following while watching a practice at the Craft Center:

The California resident is a lithe big man who can drive and has a keen eye for passing, an ideal trait for a big man in the dribble drive offense.  But don’t take my word for it.  To get us all ready for 2:30 EST, please help yourself to some highlights.

The pass at 0:50 is particularly nasty.

So, from Harrisons Day, to Young Day, now to Lee Day, we have plenty of reasons to be excited.  All signs point Kentucky on this one, so enjoy the festivities, grab a sparkler and a party hat, and be sure to tune in at 2:30 for the announcement.  Everything’s been coming up roses right now for 2013; today doesn’t look to be any different.

Article written by Corey Nichols

37 Comments for Happy Marcus Lee Day!

1. Jezz
    9:04 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

What does our scholarship situation looks like for 2013 ?

How many guys can we really sign before we worry about how many of the current players need to go ?

2. 3 fan
    9:09 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

is the announcement at 11:30 PACIFIC time? I see posts below with 11:30 and now this with 2:30

3. ibpoe
    9:13 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

My comment is awaiting moderation

4. jymbo
    9:15 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Now all that is needed is for Mr. Randel to come on down.

5. BlueAllOver
    9:15 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

WOW! It is going to be huge!!!! #1, understand your concern, but remember this, “In Cal We Trust.” #2, I do believe it will be 2:30 p.m. EST as Marcus Lee does live in Pacific time. Not sure which network yet, but possibly ESPNU. Someone post if they read about it for sure. WeAreUK!

6. Confused
    9:16 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, I love the recruits we have coming in and Calipari has done great, but how many players is he pushing out the door next season? If we sign Randle, which it appears we will, and Lee then Wiltjers gotta go i’m guessing? Harrow, who i’m looking forward to watching has to go too, has no shot at starting next year, hope he enjoys his one year here

7. Azubuike's Bicep
    9:17 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

You should post the video of Ricky Gervais doing that dance… Funniest.Dance.Ever.

8. FakeGUNIT
    9:21 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

if we get lee and wiggins reclassified we don’t need randle. Rivals rankings are way more reliable than espn and rivals has lee as a 5 star. He’s the best shot blocker in the class by far he’ll be a great replacement for noel

9. just sayin'
    9:21 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

1 – Cal gave the walkons schollies for this year. I think we have one available too. Assuming Poythres, Goodwin, Noel, and Wiltjer go pro and no walkon receives a spare scholly:

Committed:
    Harrison 1
    Harrison 2
    Willis
    Lee
    Young

Returning:
    Hood
    WCS
    Harrow

That’s only 8 right there, not including any walkons nor Mays and Beckham who graduate this year. Plenty of room.

10. just sayin'
    9:24 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

6 – Pushing out the door? Give it a rest. Guess you would only be happy if ALL players had to stay 4 years AND redshirt their freshman year.

11. Confused
    9:24 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Fair enough #9, I hadn’t really broke it down like that, kinda hoping Wiltjer stays though, he seems to love it here and I would like to see at least one guy go the distance or at least close to it and I think he might be that guy. Will be a great year this year, with many more to come…loving it

12. goingfor9
    9:25 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Excited to get lee. But if we get him, go ahead and cross randle off the list.

13. Confused
    9:26 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

#10, Don’t be a dick, I made a statement, didn’t say anything about anyone “redshirting” or having to stay 4 years, maybe you should give it a rest? I knew better than making a statement on here and posing a question…

14. UKBlue1!
    9:40 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

In reply to #1 and #6, UK is going to be loaded. Calipari knows what he is doing. He is not Tubby scrambling for left overs or Billy Clyde handing out offers to 8th graders. He has 5star players knocking down the door. There are 13 scholarships available every year. Currently one is not being used. Mays is a Senior. Long,Malone and Polson I am sure are a year to year basis. Out of Horrow,WMS, Wiltjer, Poythress, Noel and Goodwin you can expect 4 to turn pro. By my accounts we have enough room to sign 7 players with no problem.

15. SeaCat
    9:44 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Lee at 5, Randle at 4
    Why do people think Randle
    won’t come because of Lee??

16. Bubba Earl
    9:46 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Anyone streaming the announcement, and great timing with the ESPN coverage today!

17. Rockfield, KY
    9:48 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

No matter how good things are going, some people just have to get on here and find something to complain about so that they can feel better or somehow think they sound smarter than other message board posters.

18. Top 50?
    9:50 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

“we can up the record for consecutive weeks with a top-50 verbal to three.”

“but 15th-ranked Marcus Lee”
    ___________________________________________________________

Why not “we can up the record for consecutive weeks with a top-15 verbal to three.”

Way to downplay the achievement LOL

19. barn
    9:50 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

i don’t think his announcement is being tv’d

20. jp123
    9:51 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

How is this guy not rated higher? He looks extremely athletic and seems to be a heck of a defender. Perfect compliment to the guys UK has already signed.

21. CatSinceBirth
    9:54 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Well, let’s see. Lee committing today, and Cal making the rounds at Espn all day today. Does anyone think there might have been a plan set into motion? “Top 20 recruit Lee commits to Kentucky” scroll across the screen as Cal is being interviewed. Think maybe recruits will see it today, or see the rerun and all the talk on Sportscenter tonight? I can’t decide whether Cal is slick or just so much smarter, as well as being a harder worker. Seems like he says, “You people ridicule me, write all the negative crap you want, but I’ll show you what I can do”. He’s a master.

22. Confused
    9:56 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Who’s complaining? Did someone make a statement that people are trying to turn into a complaint? Uh oh..

23. bosshogg24
    9:57 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Why not say top #15 instead of top 50? You could gave said, top #500 it would have meant the same!

24. Confused
    9:57 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

I think he’s just raw #20, he’s risen very quickly over the last year and doesn’t seem to be slowing down, he’s going to be a stud and will probably continue to rise up the rankings after season starts…

25. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Who is the great big dude that Cal is standing next to in the post above the show thread? Is that our latest small forward recruit for the men’s team? šŸ˜€

26. Confused
    10:36 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Just saw the ESPN live interview with Calipari and it was great, check it out if any of you didn’t catch it

27. AaronJ
    10:39 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

@12 – You are incorrect, if anything Lee will make UK an even better destination. Lee will play the 5 and backup Randle at the 4.

28. Says me
    11:01 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

#6- confused, or just another troll? How exactly is it so hard to count to 13?

Freshmen, this year- WCS, Noel, Poythress, Goodwin.
    Sophomores, this year- Wiltjer, Harrow
    Juniors, this year- Hood, Polson (who’s really a walk-on, but since this is his 2nd year on scholarship, I seriously doubt Cal pulls it next year).

Malone and Long are on scholarship this year, but highly unlikely to stay that way if the scholarships are needed. And they know that.

8 players returning, 5 spots definitely open, 5 recruits committed if Lee comes on board. Then, Cal is probably looking to sign 1 more (Randle or Gordon), and gee, it’s really a stretch to think that one or more of Noel, Poythress, Goodwin, Harrow, or maybe even Wiltjer or WCS will turn pro.

29. Simple
    11:26 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

#20–Had same thought. Mixtape or not, he looks amazing, with incredible touch and huge upside.

30. Confused
    11:36 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

“Bottom line- Anyone who legitimately wonders where scholarships are coming from is a complete and total moron of epic proportions. Really, too stupid to be on the internet.”

Did I say anything about scholarships? I was referring to playing time and current starters, I love what Calipari has done and have nothing bad to say about him, people with 0 reading comprehension are the morons of epic proportions who shouldn’t be on the internet. I made a statement and you’re bashing someone and name calling over an opinion about something that you completely fabricated what I said, so who’s the asshole? It’s never too late to work on reading, stay in school…

31. That'sAllWellAndGood
    11:38 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

But can he dunk?

32. Joe Blow
    11:52 am October 17, 2012 Permalink

Congrats on your ability to count #28 and insult fellow UK fans over a question that was never asked, you seem like a winner…

33. Says me
    12:13 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

#32- Thanks.

And since I misinterpreted the intent of “confused” when he asked about Cal “how many players is he pushing out the door next season?”, I apologize. Oh, wait a sec, no I don’t. Because that’s still a stupid way to phrase things, whatever the intent.

People bitch all the time about how Cal doesn’t recruit depth. Now we’re going to start talking about how Cal will have to push people out the door to make room for recruits? Great.

If Harrow and Wiltjer don’t go pro after this year (and I seriously doubt Wiltjer does), then UK will have massive talent AND depth. Cal will probably expand his rotation back to the 8-9 that he almost always used at Memphis, with Wiltjer and Harrow likely the first 2 guys off the bench. How horrible for UK.

34. Joe Blow
    12:21 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Who said anything was horrible? Your reading comprehension os atrocious…

35. Joe Blow
    12:23 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Things are great here and I don’t think anyone is debating that..

36. He's Good
    12:29 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Rarely do this tapes show you anything meaningful. This one was different. If there are 27 players better than this guy in the 2013 class, it’s the best crop of players EVER!

37. Says me
    12:37 pm October 17, 2012 Permalink

Hey Joe, I was quoting him. So, uh, you might want to start looking in the mirror when talking about reading comprehension.

Again, exact quote “how many players is he pushing out the door next season”.

Followed by “Harrow, who iā€™m looking forward to watching has to go too, has no shot at starting next year, hope he enjoys his one year here”

Amazing how I could ever interpret those statements as unnecessarily negative, I know, but somehow I did. And do.