Happy Andrew Wiggins Day!

wiggins

The skills don’t get much better, or the hype much bigger, than Andrew Wiggins.

There is literally nothing I can post about Wiggins that you don’t already know.  And I know how to use the word “literally.”  We’ve pored over every single detail we could glean in his recruitment, down to his pre-announcement dinner request, for as long as I’ve been at KSR.  But there hasn’t been a “Happy [Recruit] Day” yet that hasn’t worked, so here we are, hoping to go 7-for-7.  I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious; can’t break that habit now.  And even Karl Towns’ high school knows that today is basically a holiday.

But today, in just a little over three hours, the anticipation will be over, for better or worse.

I’d say it’s like Christmas, but Christmas at least comes once a year.  Talent like Wiggins’ is hard to find, and Drew pointed out last night that we’ve been waiting for this day for 21 whole months.  In the world of recruiting, where new prospects spring up and fade away before you can even say “one-and-done,” following a recruit for almost two years is bewildering.  But in this case, it actually makes sense; that’s how good Andrew is.  He won’t be the “Next LeBron,” but he will be the first Andrew Wiggins, and whichever team gets him can consider themselves lucky.

Tune into the radio show, which starts in an hour, and lasts extra long to be able to cover Wiggins’ announcement.  And if you can’t do the radio show for whatever reason, then we’ve got you covered with a liveblog at noon, because that’s how we roll.  If there was ever a day to tune in, it’s today, so join Matt and Co. as they discuss every possible scenario, what Andrew would mean to the program, and why Kentucky makes the most sense.  Because, regardless of what all the media guys are saying, outside of FSU’s family ties, Kentucky does make the most sense.

So get ready to celebrate, and let’s keep our hopes up.  This is like the icing on the cake; even without Wiggins, we’ll have the number one recruiting class, and be the preseason favorites to win the title.  But with Wiggins, we have a chance to do something extraordinary.  So let’s allow ourselves to be pleasantly surprised if he picks UK, but not overly disappointed if he chooses somewhere else.  And in case you’re still wondering what all the fuss is about, watch this vidja:

That was posted one month ago, and already has 1.25 million views.  For a high school basketball mix tape.  And it will all be over in t-minus 195 minutes.  Join us in the journey.

Article written by Corey Nichols

27 Comments for Happy Andrew Wiggins Day!

1. Anyone heard anything about Patterson & Lucas?

FIRST!!!

2. MrWildcat
    9:04 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Have a little faith BBN

3. catlogic15
    9:07 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

As soon as I heard he did not want to go to summer school I knew he wasn’t coming. Hard to imagine all the other guys working together all summer and Andrew waltzes in in mid-August. Ain’t gonna happen. Well, at least to me that proves there was in fact a chemistry issue, in which case we’ll be better off.

4. MrWildcat
    9:08 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Has nothing to do with chemistry. He wants to play for canada over the summer

5. Hix
    9:13 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

FSU fan is not entirely convinced. From Tomahawknation.com:

10. Should I put on my lucky shirt?

Absolutely. Whatever FSU luck you have, bring it. If you have a goldfish named Calipari then immediately pull it from its bowl and eat the damn thing.

6. UK3K
    9:15 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Hope Wiggins decides to be a part of the BBN, but if not, best of luck to him and no hard feelings.

7. Seriously
    9:18 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Pored? Glean? Who gave Corey a thesaurus?

8. No BS
    9:19 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

If he goes to UNC I will hate him for as long as he lives. Anywhere else I’ll be ok with.

9. Cat Daddy
    9:19 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

#3–I’m hearing about chemistry issues as well as not wanting to go to class. Sounds like a UNC fit to me. If its not the Cats, I hope its FSU so that he can mimic what Shabazz did this year.

10. Ryne
    9:20 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

I hope he comes to UK!!! I have traveled more than Self, Hamilton, or Williams has, watching this kid play.

11. Iceman77
    9:21 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know about you all, but I’m telling myself he won’t be coming here. We have a TON of talent already coming in and I just can’t picture Wiggins jumping in the mix as well and being content. He is just a different personality- you can tell in most of the interviews he is a bit different and will go against the grain. Do I hope I’m wrong? HELL YES!! lol
    Dude will be a stud wherever he goes… Hop on the BBN train AW and lets steamroll the competition!

12. Don't Need Him
    9:22 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

I watched the mix tape again. Pretty sure he walked once.

13. ItsGoingtoHappen
    9:24 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

The only logical decision for AW is UK, and when a young man has this much talent and this much at stake, he and his parents have to be compelled to follow logic. Whether you have a little genius in your house or the next Lebron, you send them to the best. If my kid gets a perfect score on the SAT, he’s going to the Ivy League no matter how much I love UK or where I went to school. It’s about creating the best opportunity for him. And if my kid is being compared to Lebron James, then by god he’s not going to a second tier (sorry FSU) school. I think AW’s parents aren’t dummies. This family connection to FSU has been over emphasized.

14. DTuck
    9:26 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

I’m still thinking he’s coming to UK. He wants to win a championship and he can be the Lebron for the super team. I wouldn’t be surprised if he picks any of the other schools however. FSU would be the best for the Cats. Kansas or UNC would become a threat at the point he would pick them. I am starting to worry that the no summer school comment was a reason to explain picking neither FSU nor UK, but I’m trying to block out the bad thoughts.

15. tom
    9:26 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

4. He SHOULD want to play for his upcoming college team. That is what is immediately in front of him. Olympics arenn’t until 2016. Plenty of time for that. Kid seems to want to dictate what HE wants to do. That is not getting off on the right foot as far as I am concerned. I said it yesterday and again today…I want a team, not a hotshot who believes rules are for everybody else. Not a good sign in my opinion.

16. For real
    9:29 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

If I were one of these kids, I’d go overseas in a minute. Get paid, tour Europe, and skip classes for a year.

17. the hyper hype machine
    9:31 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

is it even possible for this kid to live up to the hype ?

18. symphonist41169
    9:35 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

I’ll just be glad it’s FINALLY over. If he picks UK, it’ll be very real possibility for a 40-0 national championship season. If he goes somewhere else, it’ll still be a real strong possibility for a national championship season, possibly 38-2 or 39-1. Good luck wherever you go, young man. But if it’s somewhere other than UK and you end up playing the Cats expect to get blown out of the gym by the greatest recruiting class of all time mixed with a seasoned WCS, Poythress, Wiltjer, etc.

19. Doug Newman
    9:37 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone know if Polson is going to return next year since he is graduating Sunday. No matter how good we will be next year we will need a good back-up at the point. I assume Hood is returning as well. Who will the player be in the closing seconds the fans will be cheering for him to shoot?

20. Clouseau
    9:44 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Here’s a question to ponder: say AW comes to UK and we live up to all the (wild) expectations, go 40-0 and win the title. That leaves Cal in a situation where he’s accomplished everything you possibly can in college. There is no higher mountaintop than an undefeated championship season. The alternative is, for arguments’ sake, we go 37-3 and still win the title.

Say the first scenario prompts Cal to take a good hard look at the NBA again… I know, he has consistently denied any interest. But again, that is the absolute pinnacle of college, and you know it bothers him he wasn’t successful like he wanted to be in the pros.

The second scenario is great, but the dream of undefeated (a dream he has talked about many times) is still out there. No thoughts of him departing for the pros in that case.

Which would you rather see happen?

21. Bo Jackson
    9:44 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Bo knows where AW will go

22. Seminoles Fan
    9:45 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Not something you guys probably want to hear, but it’s looking more and more like my Noles win the AW sweepstakes, at least that’s what I’m still being told. The whole Kansas thing is miss direction, and more a creation of the media. UK was his second choice and not even close. But the kids a legacy at FSU and mom and dad are not the only things pushing him our way, but probably the most important, “Blood is thicker then water” I guess – anyway, BBN has nothing to worry about either way next season, you guys are loaded. If I’m wrong, but I’m confident I’m right, I promise to eat crow – second and third helpings too! lol

23. Clouseau
    9:45 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

The caveat is both of those are obviously completely hypothetical – who knows how all this will play out. But it’s interesting to think about.

24. fish on
    9:49 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

this kid is so good they should name a root beer after him

25. Peace
    9:51 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

#22 – I hope you’re wrong, but think you are right. Either way, I hope the best for Andrew and glad we’ll all get our afternoons back instead of looking for updates. 🙂

26. Corey Nichols
    10:11 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

7 – Nobody. I read books. Who gave you a keyboard?

27. Blue
    10:22 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Will everyone b wiggin out in rupp next year if he commits to the cats
    I can see those wiggin out signs in rupp already