Halloween’s News and Views

Some 2012 sexy costumes: Sexy Care Bear (or rather, Care BARE!), Sexy Corn, Sexy Bert and Ernie, Sexy Ursula, (even though in the movie, Ursula is fat and gross), and Sexy Skunk.

I’m not a Halloween person. Sure, I was when I was a kid, but once you get past puberty, Halloween takes on a totally different meaning. Gone are the sweet days of saccharine delight, the plastic pumpkin full of Tootsie Rolls and Twizzlers, the thrill of the unknown bounty behind each neighbor’s door. In high school, Halloween becomes less about how much candy you get and more about how much skin you can show. Heck, even some of the kids’ costumes you can buy these days are frighteningly skimpy. My old “Snow White” costume from fifth grade looks like something Amish people would dress their child in now compared to today’s counterpart at Target. Today’s disturbingly high toddler hemlines aside, for people my age, Halloween has largely become an excuse to wear as little as possible and pass it off as a costume, sometimes with very very little creativity involved. In short:

While there’s nothing at all wrong with gals getting their Sexy Elmo on, I just wish people would be a bit more original with their costumes this year. And that we remember the reason for the season: lots and lots of candy. So, in the spirit, here are your Halloween news and views, presented by tiny pieces of candy. I encourage you to share your favorite Halloween treats in the comments section.

Tuesday was Opening Day for the NBA, which means you can probably turn on the TV on any night and watch a former Cat in action. In fact, with twenty former Cats currently in the league, no school has more players on an opening-day roster than Kentucky. Point blank period. And, that number could even go up if a few more free agents find homes in the coming weeks.

On Tuesday night, three Cats suited up for their first games. In the Miami/Boston game, Rajon Rondo put up 20 points, 7 rebounds and 13 assists. Rondo has now reached double-digit assists in 25 straight regular season games, which is the sixth longest streak of all-time. Josh Harrellson did not play, but gave some fierce Country Strong face from the bench.

At the time of this posting, Jodie Meeks and the Lakers were tipping off against the Dallas Mavericks, and although it was rumored that Meeks may start in the place of an injured Kobe Bryant, Bryant was able to go. We’ll update his stats in the morning, don’t you fret.

One of those 20 NBA Cats is Patrick Patterson, who found out on Tuesday that his future as a Rocket is a little more certain. Houston picked up the option on Patterson, signing him the fourth season for $3,105,302. Patterson was understandably elated:

“There’s always concern. There’s no guarantees in this league. I’m definitely happy. I’m proud of myself. I look forward to the future. it’s great. It’s a big accomplishment for myself and I’m going to work every harder to be a better player and help this team have even more success.”

Get ’em, PPatt.

It was Coordinator Day for UK football, and according to Randy Sanders, the Cats will continue to rotate QBs on Saturday verses Vandy. Even if Jalen Whitlow looks as good as he did during UK’s first two drives against Missouri? “We’re going to do whatever Joker says he wants to do. He’s the one with a comma in his check.” Fortunately, Randy Sanders won’t be taking any math or punctuation tests soon.

On the other side of the ball, David Turner said that the staff is using video of Vandy star RB Zac Stacy’s 8-yard touchdown run from last season in which he pushed UK defenders into the end zone to motivate the players heading into Saturday’s game. Turner went as far as to send the video to the players’ cell phones, which is like, totally messing with their Temple Run scores.

We’re only a few days away from Kentucky’s first exhibition game against Long Morning Northwood, in which we’ll finally be able to see this squad square off against some outside competition. Heading into the game, Cal is sticking to his preseason stump speech of “We are a terrible, no good, very bad basketball team,” going as far to tell the Associated Press that “If we had to play a game right now, we’d probably be the fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth team in our league.” I’m well versed in “Cal speak” (a special blend of 60% BS, 25% truth and 15% WTF), so excuse me if I roll my eyes. The Cats are young right now, but games against Northwood and Transy are the perfect opportunity to tinker with lineups and adjust before the season opener against Maryland. But for real, Cal says, be prepared:

“Defensively, we’re going to have breakdowns. Offensively, we’re going to look like ‘what in the world are they doing?,’ and it’s going to be the process we go through.'”

Anyone else picturing some awesome Calipari body language with this quote?

The best piece of basketball news from Tuesday? The university announced that all games will be broadcast in high definition, including those on the UK IMG Sports Network, which previously had the resolution of a Nokia cell phone camera. Hurrah! Finally, we can see Dave Baker’s rosy cheeks and Kyle Macy’s bald pate in all their high-def glory.

Speaking of, for those of you wondering, the Barclays Center seems to be holding up fine after Hurricane Sandy. According to NetsDaily.com, the arena is fine, minus some “small links,” and that the Knicks-Nets season opener on Thursday will be played as scheduled. You are now safe to continue planning your trek to Brooklyn.

In recruiting news, 2014 guard Jaquan Lyle narrowed his list to ten schools on Tuesday, and the Cats made the cut, along with Texas, Louisville, Indiana, Georgetown, Illinois, N.C. State, Cincinnati, Ohio State and Tennessee. Fellow 2014 star Jahlil Okafor (#2 in ESPN’s Top 60 for 2014) also wrote on his USA Today blog that he was very happy to see the Harrison Twins commit to Kentucky as a package deal, hinting that he and Tyus Jones, the #1 recruit in ESPN’s Top 60 for 2014, may do the same. Bring it on.

The Frank Martin era at South Carolina is off to a booming start, as the Gamecocks need a last second layup to beat Kentucky Wesleyan Tuesday night. Martin was 45 minutes late to his post-game press conference, and once there, told reporters that after eight knee surgeries and at 50 lbs overweight, he could out-rebound his players. Also, he’s listened to more Pitbull than all of them combined. (On that note, I hope I’m not around when he and Rick Pitino meet.)

Turns out the Cats are ranked #1 in at least one preseason poll. Ken Pomeroy, college basketball’s favorite stats wunderkind, put the Cats atop his preseason ratings. Before you get too excited, some of the stats KenPom (I love he is referred to as this, btw. Can I just go by TyThom?) used are from last season, and may take a few games to level out. Whatever, any poll that puts us #1 and Louisville #8 is fine by me.

Speaking of rankings, the women’s team was ranked #7 in the ESPN Coaches’ Preseason Poll, the ladies’ highest ranking ever in that poll. It’s the third consecutive season they’ve made the preseason top 25. Get it, girls.

Ah, last and yes, least. Tom Jurich and Rick Pitino joined hands to announce Pitino’s ten-year contract extension on Tuesday, which means Rick will be in our state (and our Italian restaurants) until the year 2022. Pitino said that although he was born a New Yorker, he wants to “die a Kentuckian.” I guess Pitino’s latest strategy at beating the Cats is outlasting Cal, and we all know how good his stamina is.

Finally, be sure to send me your best UK-related jack-o-lanterns and costumes by noon on Wednesday. I’ll post the best ones on the site in the afternoon.

See you soon.

28 Comments for Halloween’s News and Views

1. tommy boy
    11:15 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

What the hell espn??? Its not like I was watching All Access or anything…

2. chester
    11:26 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

They see me lurken…

3. dubowski
    11:35 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

after the video. watch the video ‘sluts on halloween’ by jennamarbles. shes spot on.

4. bart edwards
    11:38 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

TyThom, Pomeroy does NOT use “stats from last year” in the sense that he is ranking players no longer here. In fact, he goes to extreme lengths to make sure he is using ONLY stats for returning players and incoming recruits/transfers, and his methods are outstandingly well researched. In fact, last year he had UK at number 1 and Ohio State at number 2 preseason: guess who were the number 1 and number 2 seeds in the NCAA tournament? I encourage everyone to read up. It’s instructive where he puts the Louisville’s of the world.

5. Bandz a make her dance
    11:38 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Hate on slutty Halloween costumes all you want. I got with a chick wearing U of L cheerleader gear once for Halloween. Nothing like sticking it to the Cards.

6. Yo Believeo
    11:42 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Reeses is the best. No contest.

7. Fat Tony Salerno
    11:42 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

KenPom is not a poll. It’s a computer rating based on hard science, and it’s more accurate as a predicter than Vegas or the polls.

8. Hurricane Sandy
    12:15 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Plan on coming to Brooklyn, but I wouldn’t plan on taking a subway from Manhattan to Brooklyn. Tunnels are screwed. Stay in Brooklyn and you’re fine. Marriott Brooklyn Bridge is a good spot.

9. 1catfan
    12:17 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Mrs. Tyler I enjoy reading your posts. #myfavorite

10. CPACAT
    12:46 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

“Long, Morning, Northwood” …I saw what you did there, very nice!

11. Sean
    1:06 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Bert and Ernie never looked so good! Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get to Sesame Street?!

12. UKCats
    1:17 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

I don’t exactly get your Randy Sanders joke… Isn’t he correct in saying Joker has a comma in his check? Basically meaning he makes more money?

13. LexDoc
    1:25 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

12, the joke is that they BOTH have commas in their checks. To say Sanders isn’t making at least a thousand per check… SMH.

Don’t know if it was mentioned earlier, but the link: http://es.pn/ShTK1u has a quote on the changes in penalties:
    “It sounds nice in theory but until I see a big-time coach like (John) Calipari or somebody get suspended for a year, I will not believe this will do anything,” said David Ridpath, an Ohio University professor and past president of the NCAA watchdog The Drake Group. “I think there a lot of loopholes in there when you start reading it.”

Let the emailing commence!

14. tdogg40330
    5:46 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

thats a pretty good description of “Cal speak” … lol

Btw, Meeks had 3 pts in his Laker opener in 13 minutes

15. barn
    5:53 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

13–oh boy, i feel sorry for unc. (wink, nod, elbow, smirk)

16. Jason Puckett
    6:22 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Where’s the sexy Terri Schiavo costume?

17. ThisJustIn
    6:33 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Obama is still a [email protected] president, even worse than Jimmy Carter. Never thought I would live to see someone worse than Carter.

18. Slim
    6:44 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Finally HD cameras!!!!!!

19. Buckwild
    7:19 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

Great writing as always, TT. Where does Matt find all these talented writers?!

20. the truth.com
    7:28 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

boy this still stings…

21. Will S
    7:42 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

“Fellow 2014 star Jahlil Okafor (#2 in ESPN’s Top 60 for 2014) also wrote on his USA Today blog that he was very happy to see the Harrison Twins commit to Kentucky as a package deal, hinting that he and Tyus Jones, the #1 recruit in ESPN’s Top 60 for 2014, may do the same. Bring it on.”

Nice omission. His entire blog was about his Duke visit and he was pretty much saying they are considering being a package deal to Duke. Never mentioned anything about UK…

22. Some Guy in Kentucky
    8:07 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

I love sweet corn!

23. The truth
    8:18 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

TT we know why ur a hater of slutty Halloween costumes.

24. jkis
    8:43 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

It’s certainly true that Halloween does cause otherwise normal women to dress like total sluts for one night, but it’s become a tradition, and I’d hate to upset tradition….

25. RealCatsFan
    9:38 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

I never thought I would ever say this in my lifetime, but I would like to see Bert and Ernie consumate their relationship.

26. RealCatsFan
    9:40 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

The one part of the video where the father is aghast at the slutty Halloween costume that he high school daughter is wearing is EXACTLY what I’m not looking forward to in a few years raising two daughters. Yikes!

27. RealCatsFan
    9:46 am October 31, 2012 Permalink

#22, not to worry. All Cal has to show him is exhibit A, Anthony Davis, and exhibit 1A, Nerlens Noel, and then maybe sprinkle in a little John Wall, Brandon Knight, Marquis Teague, Rose, Evans, et. al., for his buddy Tyrus, to easily trump anything K can toss at him.