Guest Post: Quick Thoughts from the White House

KSR was fortunate enough to have a reader in the media corps today at the White House, and he gladly rose to the challenge to report his observations for the site. Please join me in welcoming Kellen Clemons!

Evening Kentucky Sports Radio! I wanted to go ahead and give the Big Blue Nation some quick thoughts and insights into today’s visit to the White House as well as some of the photos I managed to take. I am working on something a bit longer and more thorough that should be ready in the morning that I hope
everyone will enjoy, as well the 54 pictures. To the quick recap;

– Ms. Tyler is right. From what I heard around the room and the press room, President Obama was genuinely surprised and touched by the jersey, basketball, and ring.

– Part of the room let out an “awwwwwwe” when Coach Calipari explained that Darius Miller was giving the president his jersey number.

– Calling it right now: ‘Darius Miller 2019: KY Governor’. Though he’ll be in the NBA for much more than 8 years.

– President Obama focused on two concepts: Selflessness and Teamwork. He did a great job pointing out how this team would give up for one another to make the team as a whole better.

– Coach Calipari is a marketing genius. I’ve been checking and I know of no other champion giving the President a ring. That was unique and is something he can talk about to recruits.

– President Obama said something I never knew, though he may have been paraphrasing; “…when he recruited these players he asked them some simple questions: Do you want to win the National Championship? Evidently the answer was ‘yes’. Can you do it by yourself? The answer was ‘no’”. Just shows you how amazing this group really was.

The Big Blue Nation is awesome. While I’ve never been in the White House before, I’ve been to some other official events and they tend to be quiet and droll affairs. The crowd was all UK fans. Clapping is normal when a team is introduced to the East Room, our crowd was whistling and cheering like it was tip-off for another game.

– As the team left the stage the crowd started chanting C! A! T! S! CATS! CATS! CATS! It was amazing. You don’t see that sort of thing at something like this but everyone seemed to embrace it. One (clearly non-kentucky) reporter had to ask what the chant was.

– Final thought: They had the stage and podium on a platform about a foot above ground level. Yet Anthony Davis was standing on the true floor so he could be in the first row.

Thanks again to KentuckySportsRadio for letting me share this with the Big Blue Nation. I will have more for you soon.

21 Comments for Guest Post: Quick Thoughts from the White House

1. Sheriff Buford T. Justice
    10:38 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

Excellent, can’t wait to see more tomorrow!

2. cracka
    10:52 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

all the posts today have completely changed the ads on my ksr … i have an ad with obama at the top and on the left … i thought the ads were supposed to change based on what i type or what sites i go to … apparently not … i wouldn’t dare read anything political without being paid

3. bluefan
    11:26 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for covering for us, Kellen. Enjoyed the teaser. Can’t wait for details and the 54 photos!

4. Eric K
    11:46 pm May 4, 2012 Permalink

WE ARE KENTUCKY!! GO CATS!!

5. UK Rollin
    12:29 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

I’m glad the kids got to go to the White House, but it still doesn’t change the fact that OB is a blow hole. UK should have done the country a favor and given Obama free enrollment into UK Business School or at least allowed him to audit some Econ classes. This dude needs some serious F’in help. !!

6. jhnny
    12:46 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Way to keep it classy #6

7. Keynesian Economics
    1:28 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Yeal #6 that pre-depression economy was great! I here all these right winger always wanting to go back to a mythical better era. What was your favorite decade when the robber barons had all the influence.

8. Cool Ricardo
    7:03 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Stop being republicans. Its very douchebag

9. REAL BLY
    7:05 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Instead of a UK jersey, they should have just handed him a clown suit!!!

10. joe joe
    7:15 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

You people really are idiots. Who cares about politics right now. This is about our championship.

11. sharon
    8:07 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

All you obama bashers are missing the point of today. It was about our awesome wildcats getting to be congratulated by the president of the united states. They were in awe. Do not diminish it for them, for today it is about them and not your political opinions.

12. REAL BLY
    8:32 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Opinions are about the only freedom we have left #12…..that’s just my opinion though!

It’s called freedom of speech….which is illegal now a days!!

13. tyrus
    9:13 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

No more ex UK players running for office please!

14. Sammydog
    10:05 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

#8 the robber barons are still in control but they are now global oligarchs with no allegiance to any country. Over 1500 very wealthy citizens just gave up their American citizenship just to avoid paying taxes. We are doomed when our wealthy citizens feel no obligation to their country.

15. Sammydog
    10:07 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

#13 Due to the internet, we have never had more freedom of speech than we have today. What laws regarding free speech are you referring to?

16. Megan
    10:22 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Tyler, I learned something this morning at another site. “Droll” doesn’t mean dull, it means funny. Strikes me something British.

My favorite part of the story is how the President was genuinely moved when we presented him with his own ring. That’s very cool.

17. dave
    11:00 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Obama, it will be great to see you be a one and done as well.

18. SAN
    11:25 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

It’s a great honor to go the White House and be recognized by the President…however…it’s very bittersweet for me given I do NOT agree with this president’s policies or ideologies!

19. Gateweed
    11:39 am May 5, 2012 Permalink

Why does, most everyone feel they have to get on the political soapbox when our N.C. team is being honored at the white house. Go find a political blog and spew your bulls%$t. I’m here to read U.K. sports not political crap from either side.

20. PuhLeez
    2:56 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

President Obama was genuinely surprised and touched by the jersey, basketball, and ring. And pigs are flying all around the white house.