Great moments in UK/UofL history: Rex Chapman

We do this every year and with good reason. The Kentucky/Louisville rivalry is our very own civil war, dividing houses and turning friends into foes. Over the next two days, we’re going to take a look at the most memorable moments in the history of the series, which dates back to 1913. Next up, Rex Chapman’s monster performance in Kentucky’s 85-51 win in Freedom Hall on December 27, 1986.

Rex Chapman’s first game against Louisville was one for the ages. In front of Muhammad Ali and a packed Freedom Hall, Rex put up 26 points in the Cats’ 85-51 win over the defending National Champions. Chapman was dominant, scoring with ease and without fear. The signature play? Chapman’s dunk over future UK assistant Kenny Payne, pictured above. Behind Rex, the Cats handed the Cards the worst loss of the Denny Crum Era. Chapman later said that he got over the grief of beating his former favorite team pretty quickly:

“I’m not going to lie, I felt bad after that game,” Chapman said. “I’d known Coach Crum and those guys for years, and I felt a little bit like a turncoat. I got over it real quick.

Relive it:

#BeatLouisville

18 Comments for Great moments in UK/UofL history: Rex Chapman

1. UkKrazed
    4:18 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Classic. The look on lville players faces on bench was priceless!

2. That Guy
    4:40 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

So that’s why Wiltjier and the other crackers can’t get any playing time, Payne is still mad about being dunked on by a cracker.

3. Claw
    4:45 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Pitino wasn’t exactly broke when he got let go from the Celtics and could have waited for another college team to offer. We would have understood and accepted if it wasn’t Louisville or Duke. There lies my problem with him. Then, the cheating on his wife. I have no respect for that. He almost comes across to me like Michael Corleone from the Godfather movies, with his arrogance. Hope we pull off the win. It might happen. The odds sometimes are overcome. Luke Skywalker made a one in a million shot to destroy the Deathstar. I think if Coach Calipari prepares them well for what they will be facing and our guys play to their poential we can do it. Always keep hope in your mind, sometimes that’s all that we have.

4. jengland
    4:49 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

players had thighs and knees in the 80s?! try sagging in those shorts

5. 2014Champs
    4:51 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Hearing Alex sat out half of today’s practice not sure what the deal is.

6. Big Blue Coming at You
    5:02 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

3. Another program did offer and it was Michigan. Pitino was down to them and UL but his ugly wife said screw what UK fans think if you take the UL job. And you know the rest.

7. RealCatsFan
    5:11 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

#6, and Pitino took the “screw” comments by Joanne another way…

8. RealCatsFan
    5:11 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Eddie Sutton may have had the worst hair of any UK coach in history.

9. soggyUKgrad
    6:02 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

was that Muhammad Ali at the 3:40 mark?!?

10. Suttons Hair
    6:02 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Gotta love Sutton wearing the blue jacket though. Cal should bring that back, Didn’t Joe B wear blue jacket from time to time? do it for UofL and UT

11. Bob
    6:16 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Ugh…can’t hear, think or talk….mind has melted from that Gawd awful music on this clip. Still wish Rex could have stuck around longer.

12. Yep
    6:30 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

See all these cracker comments and was wondering if the people that use it have the remotest ideal of what it means.

13. GRob
    6:57 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

I totally remember that game. It was my freshman year at UK and I was actually in Pittsburgh for a debutante ball (true story). Chapman KILLED UL. It was beautiful. It was also the only UK basketball game my mom has ever been to and that my dad had been to since the early 1950s.

14. DougBarnes
    7:02 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Coach Doug Barnes sighting!

15. Rex-ington
    8:11 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for posting that vid!! You young chaps have no idea what a beast Rex was when he was on. I can’t begin to imagine if Rex had stuck it out and played for Pitino. He could have averaged 40.

PS The zombie look from Tony Kimbro (3:51) was absolutely priceless!

16. Rex-ington
    8:17 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Rex – pro version. Enjoy.

17. kycager
    9:37 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

that was fun thank you!
    Sexy Rexy Deserved that IREX camero he drove, small price to pay for that bad mo’fo’!

18. Cat fan
    9:43 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Love to see Sexy Rexy dunkin on a Louisville player, but not at the expense of our own Kenny Payne being posterized.