Grant Hill responds to Jalen Rose and the Fab Five documentary

fabfive
I couldn’t bring myself to put up a picture of a Duke player, so here’s the Fab Five.

During ESPN’s Fab Five documentary that aired on Sunday night, Jalen Rose said that Duke only recruited black players he considered to be “Uncle Toms.” Apparently that ruffled some Blue Devil feathers. Grant Hill, who played on the Duke team that beat the Fab Five in the 1992 Final Four (remember them?), responded to Rose’s remarks in an editorial in today’s New York Times.

Before we get into Hill’s response, here is Rose’s comment that provoked it:

“Schools like Duke didn’t recruit players like me. I felt that they only recruited black players that were Uncle Toms… I was jealous of Grant Hill. He came from a great black family. Congratulations. Your mom went to college and was roommates with Hillary Clinton. Your dad played in the NFL as a very well-spoken and successful man. I was upset and bitter that my mom had to bust her hump for 20-plus years. I was bitter that I had a professional athlete that was my father that I didn’t know. I resented that, moreso than I resented him. I looked at it as they are who the world accepts and we are who the world hates.”

As much as I loathe Duke, it is a good school (academically…chill), that teaches its students to write very well. And man, did Grant Hill take to the power of the pen. A few of the more powerful paragraphs:

It was a sad and somewhat pathetic turn of events, therefore, to see friends narrating this interesting documentary about their moment in time and calling me a bitch and worse, calling all black players at Duke “Uncle Toms” and, to some degree, disparaging my parents for their education, work ethic and commitment to each other and to me. I should have guessed there was something regrettable in the documentary when I received a Twitter apology from Jalen before its premiere. I am aware Jalen has gone to some length to explain his remarks about my family in numerous interviews, so I believe he has some admiration for them.

In his garbled but sweeping comment that Duke recruits only “black players that were ‘Uncle Toms,’ ” Jalen seems to change the usual meaning of those very vitriolic words into his own meaning, i.e., blacks from two-parent, middle-class families. He leaves us all guessing exactly what he believes today.

I caution my fabulous five friends to avoid stereotyping me and others they do not know in much the same way so many people stereotyped them back then for their appearance and swagger. I wish for you the restoration of the bond that made you friends, brothers and icons. I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.

(Okay, you have to admit that last line was awesome.)

Part of me thinks that Rose had no idea the controversy his remarks would create. During an ESPN interview today, Rose was asked what he thought of Hill’s editorial, and he stood his ground, again insisting that at the time, as a seventeen-year-old basketball player from the inner-city, he thought Duke only recruited black players from well-to-do families. When pushed about what he thinks today, he maintained that Duke “recruits a certain type of player” and that he’s never seen Coach K in Detroit.

The other part of me also thinks that although he is an eloquent writer and this was a cutting piece, Hill kind of missed Rose’s point. Rose’s statements were in retrospect, made when he was young, hungry, and admittedly jealous of Hill and his family’s situation. He wasn’t slamming Grant Hill’s family, he was just pointing out how different it was from his. One of the reasons that the Fab Five documentary was so great was the participants’ honesty about that part of their lives. What stirred the pot was Rose’s use of the term “Uncle Toms.” If anything, I wish Hill would have addressed that more that defending the Duke tradition (is there a written equivalent to court slapping?), but maybe that’s just the Kentucky fan in me talking.

Nevertheless, the back and forth between Rose and Hill is fascinating, and guess what? No one’s bothering to stand up for Christian Laettner right now.

64 Comments for Grant Hill responds to Jalen Rose and the Fab Five documentary

1. sethicus98123
    5:04 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Rose’s comments were not of his current opinion, but of his opinion as a 20 year old kid. Grants response is not only over-reactive but completely uncalled for and exactly the kind of thing rose was talking about.

2. JOHN PUBLIC
    5:09 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Sethicus, well stated!

Jones would be considered an “Uncle Tom” middle class upbringing, private schools, etc.

3. #1 Tyler Fan
    5:09 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

a little ridiculous if you ask me. Hill did miss that point, but Jalen did call Hill and his family out a bit (don’t be talkin’ bad about my fam, cuz!). But if you think Duke doesn’t recruit the same kind of players each year, I challenge you to look back over their lineups for the last 2 decades and tell me you don’t see a pattern…

4. RidgeRunner
    5:16 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

The Uncle Tom phrase is what’s eating at Hill and many others…(A black man who will do anything to stay in good standing with “the white man”) is how the urban dictionary says it but hell, it has different meaning for different people.

I like Jalen Rose and his honesty. Some of it is 20-year old jealousy because his family is more unfortunate than those like Hill’s. Duke doesn’t go after inner city kids as much as some schools -even today (Look at John Wall).

But whatever the reason, it’s how he felt and looks like he still does to a certain extent.

5. Cool brah
    5:19 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I don’t see Grant Hill getting all suited up for “The Man” every day on ESPN, think Jalen still lives in “the hood” or does he wear expensive suits and probably has all the things he was jealous of grant and his family having back then. In a few years, I’d like to hear what some inner city kids, who have never heard of the fab five, would say about him getting all dressed up nice for a bunch of rich white dudes in Connecticut. also DUCK FUKE.

6. Yo!!!
    5:19 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Coach K is racist? No……
    O wait….put a small mustache in the middle of his upper lip…holy @#*% He looks just like Hitler.

7. bluekz
    5:20 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Rose is just one of the millions of people on earth who hate Duke. Apparently that fact is an eternal surprise for their players.

8. Tshirt
    5:20 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

who is/was Jalen Rose’s father that was a professional athlete?

9. RidgeRunner
    5:21 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Oh…and Laettner sux. just sayin’

10. RidgeRunner
    5:21 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

7…I hear ya!

11. Yo!!!
    5:22 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Please dont say “just sayin” it makes angels cry.

12. RidgeRunner
    5:23 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Angels should cry. It clears the eye ducts. kinda sayin’

13. john4uk
    5:25 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Jalen Rose has shown far more intellect in his words than Grant Hill.Rose was speaking from the heart and the past and somehow Hill did’nt quite get it.

14. OK
    5:26 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Tear ducts* just sayin….

15. cracka
    5:26 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

jalen’s dad was jimmy walker, the #1 overall pick in the 1967 nba draft – pistons

interestingly, he was also the very last pick of the nfl draft that year (how’s that for a trivia question?) even though he never even played college football – saints

16. Bigdaddy
    5:26 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I didn’t like the so called “fab five”before this documentary. I thought they stole the name from the origninal fab five from ky. but how can you not like the duke bashing and calling laetner and hill bitches. They were honest and right on.

17. Chuck Norris
    5:26 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

8) His name was Jimmy Walker, and he was drafted # in 1967 by the Pistosns…you ever hear of Wikipedia?

18. Chuck Norris
    5:27 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Stupid emoticons; I meant #8 – and the Pistons…

19. Will Hill
    5:30 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I think the big issue is that Rose was criticizing Coach K’s recruiting, in that he doesn’t recruit from the inner-city. But, in using the “uncle tom” phrase, it appears that he is criticizing the recruits and not the recruiter.

20. shaking my head.
    5:31 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

When it comes to Duke as a basketball team. I can’t stand them. However, to bash a school because it chooses to recruit certain types of players, is ignorant. I am a huge UK fan and I have liked players that have played for us that have come from all different backgrounds. But, given the choice, I would prefer recruits that have done very well in school, morally sound, and an asset to in more ways than being able to put a ball in a hoop. For instance, I like Patrick Patterson better than some of our players that have been hot headed and have had academic problems. Or for that matter, players that have run a foul of the law. The reasoning is simple. When a UK player does something stupid and breaks the law, or does something negative, it cast a bad light on UK. Duke, is not suffering for recruiting the type of player they do. They get talented kids that for the most part stay out of trouble. I am not sure what Duke’s standards are for admission, but are pretty sure they are higher than a lot of schools. Having said that, why waste a lot of time on athletes that may not even be able to pass the test. I wish Kentucky would steer clear of players that are borderline academically.

21. UKGOBIGBLUE
    5:33 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

They are both right !! Duke & Coach K do recruit certain kind of players; they have to be able to play basketball, but they also have to be intelligent enough to be academic equals with the Duke student body.

Rose has probably never seen Coach K recruiting in Detroit; if the kid doesn’t have the grades, he isn’t getting recruited by Coach K or going to Duke.

I hate Duke in basketball, but no one can say Duke isn’t a damn good school. Matt hates Duke, but he knows it’s a damn good school or I’m guessing he wouldn’t have attended Duke. Duke does not graduate stupid people.

Jay Bilas must be wicked smart; not only did he graduate from Duke, he also went back and got his law degree while at the same time we was an assistant coach on the Duke basketball team.

22. LOL
    5:34 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Hate them or not, at least Duke, didn’t have a player during those years that admitted to cheating. I don’t like Duke at all, but to side with the thugs from Michigan just because you hate Duke, is stupid.

23. BlueMark
    5:37 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Dook’s standards for admission for basketball players are actually lower than that of a lot of schools, including UK. Dook has been called out for it by its own student newspaper, as well as in the Chronicle of Higher Education and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. They let one well-known player (I can’t recall which at this instant) in with something like a 900 SAT, back when that basically meant that you put your name on the paper correctly.

24. Flavor of the Meeks
    5:37 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

20. The issue isn’t academics, it’s socioeconomic status. As Rose points out in his interview today, he was on the honor roll. The reason Duke wouldn’t recruit him is because of his standings in society, not for a lack of academic prowess. There is a very strong correlation between low socioeconomic standing and lower grades in school, so I understand your inclination to connect the two, but that was not Rose’s argument. His argument is that if a player comes from a poor, single-parent background, or something similar, Duke isn’t interested. I think he has a very valid point.

25. Chest Rockwell
    5:39 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Much as I dislike Duke and feel much the same way as Jalen Rose does, Shane Battier is from Detroit.

26. BlueMark
    5:40 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

OH, and Grant Hill is a pompous ass for intentionally misunderstanding Jalen Rose’s comment and having his publicist write that response. I have no love for the Fab Five, even after seeing the documentary, but Grant Hill wants so badly for everyone to see how much smarter he is than Jalen Rose that he throws out Latin, for Pete’s sake. Grant Hill is the snot-nosed nerd everyone wanted to beat up on the playground for his condescending attitude.

27. B
    5:41 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I am normally the last one to defend Duke and Coach K but I think Jalen is reaching a bit when he’s never seen Coach K in Detroit. Didn’t the documentary say that Duke was recruiting Chris Webber who was also from Detroit? I was at the Michigan Ohio St game in the tourny in 92 I really enjoyed watching that part of the documentary and remembering just how great that game was! I remember getting teary eyed just going into Rupp after the Duke-UK game the night before but it was a great college b-ball game.

28. Flavor of the Meeks
    5:42 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

22. Thugs from Michigan? Please explain what makes Jalen Rose a thug. Also, please explain how taking money from a school makes someone a thug. A thug, as defined by dictionary.com, is a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer. Marvin Harrison, Ray Lewis, Ray Carruth, those guys are thugs, not someone who took some money on the side.

29. Quack
    5:45 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I think Hill was a bit out of line considering Rose was talking about how he felt 20 years ago. To me Jalen did a good job at relaying the fact he was a jealous of what Hill had in his life. As much as I hate to say it you have to respect Duke for keeping high academic standards. Shoot Pat was close to being a Dukie himself because he had the grades and is a BEAST… Glad that I could have a crush on him! Also we can finally celebrate St. Patrick Patterson day in blue forget this green irish midget guy. GO CATS

30. Flavor of the Meeks
    5:45 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

26, 28. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6219766 Watch that interview. Rose mentions Duke’s recruitment of Webber and Battier — both went to the same private school in Detroit. When he mentions that he has never seen Coach K in Detroit, he means he has never seen Coach K recruiting the inner-city kids, not the guys like Battier and Webber who went to a nice private school.

31. Flavor of the Meeks
    5:46 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Excuse me, that last post was addressed to 25 and 27, not 26 and 28.

32. DonnyBaker
    5:46 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

8) Everyone thinks his dad was Jimmy Walker the athlete, but I have heard that it was Jimmy Walker the actor (Kid Dynomite). I’ve also heard that it might have been Pete Rose.

33. old_school
    5:49 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Hats off to Grant Hill for taking up for a school that actually puts academics before athletics.

You don’t have to be a Duke fan to admire them – just as I hope that those who ‘hate’ Kentucky can still appreciate the long-legacy of excellence we have in our program.

Jalen Rose’s comments were indeed racist as they painted African Americans who achieve as somehow turning their back on other blacks. Instead, those individuals who choose to pursue an education, extol the virtues of a two-parent family and work hard are actually living up to the tradition that many black Americans once held near and dear. Society as a whole would do well to return to these values, and no doubt those cultures (white and black) who are mired in poverty and despair desperatly need to embrace those virtues.

The ‘Uncle Tom’ label is an unfair indictment against many blacks, and is usually used to vilify those who are brave enough to think on their own, shed the cloak of victimhood and stand on their own two feet and excel in this world. Its been used on fine men like Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas, J.C. Watts, Alan Keyes, Alan West, Herman Cains and others – and it’s totally a criticism that’s based on the color of a man’s skin. It’s racist at its very core.

The more I hear people hate on Duke, the more I admire them. They graduate their students, occurances of Duke players running afoul of the law are rare, and they win. What’s not to like?

Look – I was as sickened as anyone that Laettner’s shot went in back in 1992, but that’s no reason to be poisoned with hate for 20 plus years. It’s unhealthy and we’d all be better off to just appreciate good basektball for what it is. Sure – hold them as a rival, root for them to lose if you’d like – but to start making false accusations against players, coaches and an entire institution rings of pettyness at best, and envy and jealousy at worst.

34. blitzedanddazed
    5:50 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Jalen Rose was and is a bitter person. He used hate and jealously to motivate himself on the basketball court and in life. Hopefully Jalen will realize that these emotions are both a waste of energy and time.
    There are a lot of people assoc. with the University of Michigan that regrets the “Fab Five” ever stepped foot on the Michigan campus. It sounds like to me that when Jalen looks in the mirror he wishes he would see Grant Hill.

35. Horny UK fan!!
    5:55 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Just saw all of our boys walking around International Plaza here in Tampa……checking the ladies out. Stay focused fellas lol! They looked to be having a great time. Lets take over the city cats fans! Sick and tired of hearing about how ‘good’ the gaytors are.

36. The Stitch Doctor
    5:56 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

When we continually bash Duke for everything, it makes us seem a little jealous of their success. They do things the right way, players don’t get in trouble, and they seem to field a decent team that makes good grades, and even go to class. Shame on us, Duke represents everything college should mean to others. Leave them alone except as an example for what the rest of us should strive to be. Go Cats!!!!!

37. BlueMark
    6:02 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

This has nothing to do with bashing Dook. It is about how Grant Hill is overreacting. And I wish folks would stop pretending that Dook’s basketball players are so much smarter than everyone else’s. Read this and you will never praise Dook’s academic integrity ever again:

38. web application stress tool
    6:08 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Do you think Jalen is smart enough to understand all the valuable publicity he could get by playing the “Uncle Tom” card? He was on the honor roll. Yep, the dude is getting lots of ink. Controversy sells. Maybe ESPN producers explained that to him. We are falling into his trap by giving it too much attention?

39. gameday
    6:12 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I hate Duke as much as anybody but I think Hill has a right to be defensive about this. Rose did feel that way when he was 17, but he didn’t necessarily back off those statements when they questioned him about it today. I’m from Michigan but I feel like the Fab Five felt they were bigger than the game and try to take credit for things they have no business taking credit for. Just my opinion.

40. just sayin.
    6:12 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

#33 doesnt enjoy context. but thats to be expected of some old white man behind a computer that thinks the only black men that have enjoyed success in this country are right wing republicans. good job with that old_school.

41. bluekz
    6:16 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Of course Duke has high academic standards, but it’s not necessarily a viable point of comparison for UK (or any of the other traditional powers, for that matter) as UK is not a private university. Isn’t K going to retire soon? Can’t wait.

42. old_school
    6:17 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

No – many blacks of all political leanings have enjoyed success – but guess which ones get called Uncle Tom.

And by Jalen Rose’s own definition – Obama who attended private schools and lived what many would consider a privliged life – is an Uncle Tom.

43. SagaciousMind
    6:19 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

As much as I hate Duke, Jalen Rose should just shut his mouth. Jealousy gets you no where. Was Rose even interested in goin to Duke? Did Rose have the grades that would have allowed him to qualify? Coaches have their own standards. There it is Cousins was one of the most talented players out there and many schools did not recruit him because of his reputation. Bein jealous is one thing, but dont call them Uncle Tom’s because their family made somethin of themselves. Either way Mr Rose, you played in the NBA and your family will never have to struggle like you did growin up, so get over it and shut the hell up. As for Jimmy King, you may think Grant Hill is a bitch…but who is still playin in the NBA? The Fab Five was annoying, nothing they did even mattered. Duke, even more annoying.

44. bigdoc1
    6:38 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I thought ESPN’s ‘Fab Five’ was splendid. Made me admire both the moxie of the ‘Five’ and the moxie of the Dukies, Heels, Wildcats, Hoosiers and others who stood up to the.

45. The Source
    6:54 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Who gives a crap about what these duke and michigan homers think? They all sucked!!!

46. ukcatsfan2
    6:57 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I like it when they fight amongst their own….

47. The Source
    6:59 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I will never forget When Webber was dribbling down the court after a steal in the final four against UK. He was making fun of the white boy that couldnt catch him and laughing. These guys were all punks and don’t deserve space on a UK site.

48. Theghostofbillspivey
    7:28 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Love me sum Jalen Rose…..,, !!!!!!!
    I don’t know why everyones up in arms cause he did not attack grant or the school. He simply stated his opinion as a young kid….. And the fab 5 is no more of a thug than bill spivey and all the other uk players that got caught up for cheating and eventually bared out the NCAA, NBA, and ABA.

Starting to think that the modern usage of the word “thug” is a new aged code word for Ni$er

49. Yo!!!
    7:33 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Way to not bite on the Hitler reference….no troll value at all?…. Jeez u guys watch too much Fox News

50. Whisker Biscuit
    7:35 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I don’t like the Duke Blowdevils! Still, Grant Hill is a good person. When I watched the ESPN interview with Jalen, he said it that’s how he felt when he was seventeen, but you kinda got the feeling he still felt that way.

51. Conservative Spunk on Your Face
    7:40 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Rose is right. Duke does recruit a certain type of player – the type of player that can qualify to go to Duke and i doubt Detroit schools are producing any of those especially these days.

52. The Source
    7:45 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Rose is right about Puke, but he and his fellow recruits were arrogant pricks as well.

53. Lex07
    8:02 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Rose and the Fab Five were pretty damn cool. More memorable than Grant Hill, for example.

54. flipside
    8:07 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

i think rose is dead on!!! duke does only recruit smart kids (black and white)!! they choose smarts and basketball IQ over pure athletes. just cant grasp for the life of me why other coaches dont follow this example?? hate duke all you want but they are the elite of college ball over the last 15 yrs. coach k understands that a layup counts for the same points as a dunk!

55. Paul
    8:17 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I grew up in Detroit, J Rose is dead on. The attitude was earned. He overcame a lot to achieve what he has. I loved the Fab Five and their attitude.

56. Hill Cat
    8:17 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

if you want a nice feel good moment. Watch the UNLV documentary on HBO, and watch as LJ and the Plastic man drop 100 + on the dukies in the ’90 championship game, waxing that ass by 30 points. A thing of Beauty is a Joy forever.

57. bung
    8:22 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Tyler, could you do an article about our Real Fabulous Five?

58. Just Saying Sux
    8:38 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Hey old_school, here’s a thought. Why don’t you get into the modern times with the rest of us. Academics over athletics, you think fans really care about that. Maybe you do but that’s not what is about now, times have changed. Either change with the times or be stuck in the past, which it seems you are. You are always on here bitching and whining about either Calipari or about how great things used to be. You’re nothing but an old_fart that can’t except the way things are now. I got news for you, things aren’t going back to the way they were.

59. Sheeeeiiit
    9:42 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

58-nice rant!

I will add this. Old School, not a positive post from you unless it’s about how great Gayduke is. It’s always…would Cal recruit Miller or Jorts or Liggins? Or the bore rants on how one and dones are killing us. Blah, blah, blah. Your not the only older fan of UK. But your the only one I can think of that loves Gayduke so much. I’m starting to think you are a fan of them and not UK.

Either way, I suggest you start a blog of your own for UK fans who love and resepect Duke more than UK. I’m sure it would be a huge hit.

PS who really cares what Rose thinks? I don’t.

60. Mack
    9:48 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

Hill made Rose’s point for him with his elitist, arrogant, and condescending response!

61. Slick Willie
    9:52 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

I’m willing to bet the house the Duke was thrilled the didn’t recruit Jalen Rose and his “type” when the police hauled Rose out of that crack house.

I do think too much is being made out of the comments by Jalen Rose but his reluctance to back off the comments makes you wonder if he still doesn’t harbor resentment toward guys like Grant Hill.

As far as Duke recruiting a certain type of player all I can say is that it seems to be working for them. I don’t like them but you can’t deny their success.

62. stegbrent
    9:55 pm March 16, 2011 Permalink

You idiots on here who seem to think that Jalen Rose is such a hero are pathetic.Let’s go on national tv and call guys 4 letter words and Uncle Toms and attack stereotyping by stereotyping others ourselves.The fab five were NOT an iconic group for me even before beating Kentucky.Shows how much young people can be influence by anything charismatic.Whoopee!Oh that fab five special really deserves an emmy award.Hah!!And before I am called racist just know that I was a diehard Laker fan in the 80s when they went up against the Celtics.Without the injury Grant Hill would have been a better player than any fab five player including Chris(TIMEOUT)Weber who didn’t like UK because it didn’t have enough of a African American culture.By the way fabbers,if Dale Brown doesn’t go down hurt you wouldn’t have got past us in the final four.

63. Lori M
    1:40 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Let’s face it, it wasn’t a documentary. It was a 90 minute infomercial by Rose. Jason Whitlock has a great piece saying that the true innovators where the Georgetown Hoyas of the early eighties.

64. Not Bobby Hurley
    8:13 am March 17, 2011 Permalink

Then Chris Webber was an “Uncle Tom”, because Duke recruited him. Maybe they didn’t recruit Jalan because he couldn’t have started as a Freshman. He wasn’t getting my spot.