Brady Hoke channels his inner Bob Stoops

011211_UM FBC HOKE PRESS CONF. 22 LON

Anybody have a tiny violin that I can borrow? Brady Hoke’s latest comments might sound a little better with sad, melancholic music playing in the background.

Hoke, like our own coach’s elder brother, is sick and tired of the SEC being awesome. In an interview with a Cleveland radio station, the Michigan Man was a little sensitive about the (accurate) portrayal of the Big Ten as a middling conference in comparison to the SEC, saying: “I think people get a little overly zealous when they think the SEC is (the only conference) where they play football… I think when you look at the track record of the Big Ten, (we) play awfully good football.”

Oh, Brady. No you don’t.

As CBS college football writer Jerry Hinnen points out, if the Big Ten plays good football, it certainly doesn’t carry over to the postseason (SEC teams are 7-2 in bowl games against the Big Ten the last 3 years).

That said though, Hoke’s bitterness towards God’s conference has surprisingly little to do with memories of Jadeveon Clowney decapitating his players. I’ll let Hinnen explain:

As Brian Cook of MGoBlog recently detailed, Kentucky’s recruiting push into the Buckeye State under Ohio-connected Mark Stoops — eight of the Wildcats’ 18 current commitments in their seventh-ranked class hail from Ohio — has meant several quality recruits that might otherwise have played for the Big Ten’s middle class will instead play for one of the SEC’s traditional doormats. Among the top 20 recruits in Ohio for 2014, Kentucky’s commitments double the number for all Big Ten schools other than Michigan and Ohio State, four to two. Thanks to Butch Jones’ Cincinnati connections, Tennessee’s surprising class also includes two recruits from Ohio and one from Illinois.

If that trend continues, it will make the SEC East that much stronger, the Big Ten’s rank and file that much weaker, and the schedules for Hoke and Meyer — who also complained not so long ago about the Big Ten’s recruiting — that much more of a hindrance as they chase a playoff berth.

Why does Brady Hoke care about the college football world being “overly zealous” about the SEC? Because, most likely, that zealousness is making the “come play in the SEC” argument that much more effective — and it’s an argument that’s tangibly damaging his league and his program.

Get over it, Brady. Sometimes Stoops just happens.

@McCarthyKSR

Article written by Andrew McCarthy

27 Comments for Brady Hoke channels his inner Bob Stoops

1. kdh
    12:04 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Proof the headline please

2. Andrew McCarthy
    12:07 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

1) Good catch. Thanks!

3. Mc
    12:17 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

It’s pretty clear when you look at recruiting rankings. You’ll find one or two of the traditional top teams from conferences highly ranked. In the SEC you’ll find 5 or 6 times as many teams highly ranked. So yes, for Hoke and Meyer they’ll get their recruits. However, the rest of the conference is terrible. This applies to Bob Stoops and the Sooners as well. A team like Michigan will get dismantled by a team like Alabama, then have some success within the conference. Ohio State has a cupcake schedule and may run the table this year. Then in the bowl game they’ll at least have a chance I guess, but the odds are they won’t be prepared for what they see because their conference (which was 2-5 in bowl games last season) is down.

4. Big boy
    12:23 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

So if all these ohio players are so good that we are recruiting why does the ten suck ? Football players come from the south

5. Austin
    12:46 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

4) I don’t think the talent is the only part of the equation. I think so much resources and attention is paid to football in the South. I am sure the warmer weather helps as well, and there may be other genetic factors that play a part. Ohio State has had a lot of success with a lot of Ohio players. We are going to land a few guys from the South as well.

Look at Kentucky Basketball… Our passion helps our program stay at the top, and the rest of the SEC feels almost as strongly as their football.

6. Pup, MD
    12:49 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

As a graduate of UK and UofM, I would encourage you to remember that Michigan is to football as Kentucky is to basketball. KSR taking a shot at Grady Hoke is dumb, unless you want to pretend the sort of crap Louisville fans say (temporarily relevance trumping historical dominance) has merit.

7. Tom Seaver
    1:15 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

6. So UM is to football what UK is to basketball and Brady Hoke makes a stupid statement and that means no one should say anything about it. Right? If that is so, what does UM being to football what UK is to basketball have to do with anything? It sounds like you want Hoke to be able to say stupid things without people calling him out for it.

8. Pat
    1:29 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Ohio produces about 200 Division football players a year . After Ohio State takes 15 or so and Mich/Mich State take another 20, there are still 160 or so. Coming to Kentucky makes great sense. Kansas State has made great strides with a ton of Ohio athletes. Play now, play in the SEC.

9. Ridge Runner
    1:34 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Not much to analyze here really. I equate it to a guy acting like a youngin’ sayin his dominant little league team is just as good as a dominant big league team.

10. Huh?
    1:35 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Actually #6, Michigan is to football what BYU (or Colorado, or Georgia Tech) is to football. 1/2 of a title (with a team Nebraska would have worked by 40+) during most of our lifetimes. Your over inflation and self importance clearly shows you to be a “Michigan Man. and supporter of “Gray Football”

“Only 3 conferences matter. The AFC, the NFC and the SEC”

11. TN Cat
    1:37 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

The reason Michigan was dismantled by Alabama was because they had a running back playing quarterback. As a UM fan, I was counting down the days until Denard Robinson was gone.

12. Ridge Runner
    1:42 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

11, The Alabama defense and Michigan’s own playcalling combined to take away Denard Robinson’s most effective weapon — his ability to run the ball.

By the way…So are you a TN-“Cat” or a UM “Fan”. I’m confused.

13. Pup, MD
    1:51 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

“We play good football too.” Gosh, what an idiot.

The parallels are strong. SEC basketball is just like Big 10 football… something that was once very good which for the past ten years has not been up to snuff. You wouldn’t trash Cal for saying that “we play good basketball in the SEC too,” so yes, call me a Michigan Man. And call me a Cat. I enjoy graduating from schools with the winningest programs in things.

14. btowncatfan
    2:00 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Wow, the most surprising as aspect of this post is that we have so many UM fans commenting on it. All these Michigan fans reading a UK blog. I personally have never visited a UM site and have no idea if one exists.

15. RahRah
    2:23 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Wow, this guy looks like a Sopranos character. Not sure whether it’s The Big “P” or Vito, or a combination of the two.

16. Huh?
    2:54 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Last 10 year’s? Parallel? Seriously? In the last FORTY years the big10 has all of 1.5 titles and both of those are questionable at best. In the last 40 year’s the SEC has produced SEVEN NCAA MBB Champions from 3 different programs.

17. LiveInTheBubble
    3:06 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

Get real #14, KSR made this post you’re commenting on from trolling another teams site.

18. @TheJimPl9
    3:36 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

the SEC is the premier football conference but UK has little to do with that and hasnt been a factor in decades…

19. KT
    3:40 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

It was dumb comment by Hoke but let’s be honest, what’s he supposed to say? He is trying to convince kids to come play for him at UM so he isn’t likely to admit that he is in a lesser football conference with marginal success in the last decade, oh and it is cold as crap in MI too, I have a lot of family up there and winters are not fun (I need 4 wheel drive just to go visit in January or February). All he can do is downplay SEC dominance in football, sell the MI fanbase (which is strong), and sell tradition from 20 years ago. Hopefully he gets enough good recruits to believe him and make UM competitive on the national scale which is what their fans expect.

20. Mc
    3:59 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

I’ll say it again. Ohio State and Michigan will get their recruits, it’s the rest of the conference that is garbage. Kids see that the SEC has 7 championships in a row with multiple teams landing in the top 10 year after year. Then you throw in the fact that the SEC is pumping out way more NFL players and it’s an easy sell. Hoke and Meyer need to pump up the conference to get kids to join some of the other schools in the conference to give them more credibility. This just simply isn’t happening. Throw in a little Sandusky, and the conference is on a downward slope.

21. TN Cat
    4:37 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

#11 UK basketball and UM football. I’m sure as hell not rooting for UT in anything.

22. Ridge Runner
    5:05 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

21 & others, please don’t take this as an insult or anything negative but…

I am a UK fan period. No matter the sport they are my team. I don’t hate all other schools but I can’t be their fan either. So, I’m a bit confused how any UK basketball fan would not say they are a football fan of any other school other than being a UK football fan. You may follow slightly another school but to be a true fan of another school baffles me. It really does.

23. TN Cat
    6:41 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

#22 I’m assuming you live in Kentucky. I live in Tennessee. My dad wasn’t a UT fan so I found my own teams. I started rooting for Kentucky when I saw Rex Chapman play. I started pulling for Michigan when I was about 6 because I thought their helmets were cool. My son pulls for Kentucky because I’ve taken him to games at Rupp. When you don’t have somebody influence your decision you kind of find your own teams.

24. Ridge Runner
    9:03 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

23, I live in Georgia. I was raised in Ky until leaving for military. I am loyal to the blue & white in all sports. No one influenced me except Cawood Ledford on AM radio.

25. Ridge Runner
    9:05 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

23, and I think it’s nice you take your son to the games. I do understand what you are saying. It’s you and I got that. It’s just not who I am.

26. Y***tzee
    10:18 pm June 22, 2013 Permalink

why does this site constantly pretend like we contribute even an iota to the reputation of the SEC in football? we didn’t even win an sec game last year. honestly you sound like some try-hard idiot when you leach onto the dominance associated with SEC football. Let’s all take a moment and remember our school’s role in this conference for a minute. BBALL=GOOD FBALL= BAD.

27. Tampa Satchel
    12:37 am June 23, 2013 Permalink

8-Your numbers for Ohio are a bit high. in 2010 and 2011 they had 170 and 141 D1 recruits respectively.