Happy Friday, my KSR brothers and sisters and welcome to the final few hours before the big Kentucky-Louisville football game at Commonwealth Stadium. With a full day of hate behind us (a phenomenal day of posts from the guys) and with the most notable birthday belonging to one Rick Pitino, I’m going to make my mom proud and stick to the whole “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all” mantra and jump right into the notes of the day.
– This is going to be a big game in terms of recruiting as Larry Vaught announced tonight that 4-star Ohio tight end Alex Smith would be joining 4-star running back Storm Johnson as a guest at Commonwealth. Smith, who has issued a soft verbal to Cincinnati already, has shown minimal commitment to the Bearcats. ESPN writes that he’s still considering Miami and Wisconsin and will visit the Hurricanes, but a visit to Kentucky could be an absolutely huge opportunity for the Cats to make an impression on the wavering #12 tight end in the nation. No doubt that UK has a chance to do some big things with a pair of high-level recruits this weekend.
– Also, in a late-breaking football recruiting note, two-star tight end Tyler Robinson will take an unofficial visit this weekend for the UK-U of L game. Robinson, who hails from Alcoa, TN (hey, that sounds familiar), already holds an offer from the Cats and said he will make a decision in the next couple of weeks. Robinson, who also plays DE, says he also holds offers from Virginia Tech, Middle Tennessee State and Tennessee State.
– But, football isn’t the only sport where there is a high-level of recruiting anticipation growing. The Governor’s Cup game will also have visitors in the form of four-star guard Stacey Poole and Rivals’ #1 player in the country, Brandon Knight. The recruitment of Knight has been a little quiet lately since rumors of a potential commitment from him surfaced several weeks ago. The flirtation with Poole, however, has been making its message board rounds lately and many feel that Poole could commit to UK shortly after the game. Poole has said publicly that he’d likely make a college choice following this visit to Lexington and many believe that, without a commitment from Doron Lamb before, Poole will likely choose the Cats. Definitely a situation worth monitoring.
– Also, Adam Zagoria tweeted today that Kyrie Irving will visit UK on October 15th, the day before Big Blue Madness. Does this mean that he will be a guest at the Madness festivities? I don’t know. I just thought that beared noting.
– And, speaking of…..Cal met today with shooting guard Doron Lamb at Oak Hill. Earlier this summer, Lamb was believed to be a fairly heavy UK lean and held in-home visits with Oklahoma and Kansas earlier in the week. No word yet on how the visit went, but I’m sure Sir Rumbaugh is all over it.
– A story that I’ve been trying to ignore so I don’t get overly frustrated is the emergence of Curtis Pulley as the Tim Tebow of the MEAC. The former UK quarterback, now at Florida A&M, actually had his worst statistical game of the season tonight, throwing for 178 yards and 2 TDs and and rushing for 37 yards in a 48-10 win over Howard. In his season opener, Pulley threw for 140 and ran for 196 more and the Rattlers second game, Pulley completed 81% of his passes for 230 yards and 3 TDs. Through three games, Pulley has passed for 527 yards and 5 touchdowns (no picks) and rushed for 267 yards and one touchdown. But, as long as Mike Hartline keeps doing his thing, I won’t really care.
– Also, as one final note, DON’T FORGET TO WEAR BLUE on Saturday. It seems like this should be pretty obvious, but the UK Student Government is trying to create “A Sea of Blue”, which I think could create some sort of online copyright infringement problems.
Well, that’s it for now. While this is an admittedly weak post, there’s plenty of U of L hate fodder filling the page right now and Drew Franklin will be around shortly with this week’s edition of “They are who we thought they were”. See you in a few…