Gorgui Dieng to have surgery tomorrow, out 4-6 weeks

Louisville announced today that Gorgui Dieng will undergo surgery tomorrow on his fractured wrist and he’s expect to miss 4-6 weeks of game action.

“With a little luck, he’ll be back for the start of the Big East schedule,” Rick Pitino said of the wrist injury Dieng suffered Friday.  That means Louisville’s starting center will likely be out for the Kentucky game on December 29, or at least that’s what Rick wants you to think.  The UK/Louisville game is five weeks away.

No one loves to see Louisville suffer more than us here at KSR, but you never want to see a guy go down to injury, especially one who seems to be a class act like Gorgui.  He has a promising basketball career ahead of him and he’s the centerpiece of what should be a great year for Louisville.

The Louisville injuries continue.

Article written by Drew Franklin

38 Comments for Gorgui Dieng to have surgery tomorrow, out 4-6 weeks

1. mocha
    6:01 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Dang Dieng.

2. David Padgetts Knee
    6:08 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

4-6 weeks in Pitino time means his first game back is against UK.

3. RealCatsFan
    6:13 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I would bet my bottom dollar that Pitino will act like he is out for the UK game, and then he will magically heal up just in time for the game!

He was injured trying to draw a charge when he ran across the court into the path of a baseline drive. Note to Gorgui – next time, play honest defense and block the shot. Leave the flopping to the Dookies and the Hoosiers.

That being said, I hope the kid heals up quickly. Hate seeing kids being injured, and also hate to see UL fans use it as an excuse if the Cats beat them in the chicken bucket.

4. lexslamman
    6:15 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Hope he has a good recovery and is back in time for the UK game. It means more when we kick their ass at full strength.

5. BigBluSoTru
    6:21 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

He is friends with a co-worker of mines son comes out to bulliet county alot with him on the farm and shoots rifles. The kid is really nice and a class act. I really hate that for him.

6. bornblue
    6:22 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Why is he wearing orange?

7. Louisville Sports Radio
    6:23 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for your constant updates of all things Louisville.

A Cat fan on this site.
    Go big blue!

8. barn
    6:25 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

4 to 6 weeks = December 29

9. rainman
    6:25 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Terrible news! Wish him the best, and a speedy recovery!

10. rainman
    6:26 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Agree with #6, it’s the ORANGE!

11. bmt22033
    6:27 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Or in other words, he will absolutely, positively, without a doubt play in the UK game. I swear a game against Kentucky must be able to cure cancer based on some of the injury reports opposing coaches have claimed prior to the game. Uh oh, my star player had a massive stroke this morning! I guess he’s out for the Kentucky game tomorrow night! And then who’s magically suiting up for the game?

12. mudcreekmark
    6:28 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I hate this for him. It may cost him some money in the long run. He really plays well against us for some reason so I wouldn’t mind him being out for our game against them.

13. Mack
    6:31 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

If he wanted to be safe when he flops he should have attended the little dookies school for advanced floppers.

14. Same Overtraining, Different Year
    6:31 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Anyone with even the most rudimentary sports training knowledge can tell you this happens to Rick’s teams
    year after year, because he over-trains them. If I was a parent of these kids, I’d be transferring away from that
    school as fast as you can say “Billy Clyde Gillispie”.

15. kes
    6:32 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

damn shame. he seems like a good kid who has worked very hard

16. blueaville
    6:36 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

#14 so Rick overtrained Dieng and that’s why he broke his wrist taking a charge? What’s the big deal if he does come back? When you guys get on Pitino for saying a player will be out and then he’s not…it sounds like you don’t want them to get better from injury. Get a life.

I hope he does come back so we can beat them WITH him.

17. blue_1
    6:39 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Hope he makes it back for UK game I wanted o see Noel and WCS abuse his slow ass.

18. Not Nerlens
    6:40 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

This happening might be the best thing for Louisville long term and could really help them come tournament time. This amount of time is perfect for UL because they will have him back for Big East play and they are good enough without him to beat most of the non-conference teams on their schedule.

19. Cowboy
    6:41 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

20. Old cat
    6:42 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Recently read an article in Sporting News on this kid. From all accounts he is a class act, very honest, caring individual with his heart in the right place. Wish him the best of luck

21. Not Nerlens
    6:43 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

18 – continuiing my point……I thought that getting Dieng out of the game was the #1 way to beat Louisville. He is a great rebounder and defender and is a tough assignment for any team trying to get baskets in the lane as he is one of the best shot blockers in the country.

Now they will have to find what their best Non-Dieng lineup is and get chemistry without him in the lineup. This will be great for them come tournament time and in Big East play because they will be able to better handle him coming out of the game since they will be forced to get used to it.

22. winston
    6:56 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

He’ll play against UK. It will be a miracle! Thank you Baby Jesus he is healed!

23. CATfish
    7:17 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

For Louisville being red and all, there uni”s look orange. #L1Cidelined

24. twnky
    7:33 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

hate to hear this for any ki. ul cant shake the injury bug at all it seems. hope he recovers quickly and picks up where he left off. i hate ul but it is kind of nice when both in state teams are in the top ten.

25. DRob
    7:59 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

#L1C4-6 Weeks

26. Viren
    8:00 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Speedy recovery from a Cats fan. I would like for a national championship trophy to come to My Old Kentucky Home, I would prefer UK to bring it home every year, but if Louisville brings it home and keep IU and Duke from taking it to Indiana and North Carolina respectively, I am all for it.

27. Matt Jones
    8:03 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

this keith bohn guys is a real white trash pos… sad rep of BBN

28. Kyle
    8:12 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

I had the pleasure of getting to know Gorgui Dieng when I was in Louisville last year. Great young man and has his head on his shoulders. Hope he has a speedy recovery! Only want the best to play against UK to give them a challenge. Tougher teams can only make you better. GO CATS!

29. Kevin C.
    8:59 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

How did #2 ranked UL…with a crapload of talent, depth, and experience only drop 3 places, after losing to the Same Duke team that beat UK, by about the same score…yet UK dropped from 3 to 8 ??

30. I Say
    9:18 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

This sucks, Dieng is the only Louisville player that I like, he’ll play in the league soon. and yes, I want to beat them with him playing. No excuses for them

31. BleedRed
    9:19 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

#29 Maybe because we beat the number 13 team by 20 points the night before?

32. Stevo-0
    9:19 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

@29 probably because the beat the snot out of #13 Missouri?

33. I Say
    9:20 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

#29 duke was 8 when we lost, they were 5 when they beat ul. im guessing thats why

34. I Say
    9:21 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

O and #26 your not allowed to do that

35. RealCatsFan
    10:21 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Hmmm, does that mean #19 is a [email protected] Cowboy? Sorry to burst yer bubble there, Sundance…

36. UL Fan
    11:59 pm November 26, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for the Cats fans that actually realize that life is more than a rivalry. To the rest of you…wow, y’all are trashy.

37. Marvb
    1:16 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

Sorry for ya Dieng. Hope you get healthy in time to battle the cats. If so need not worry, ya may get a shot in March, again. Nevertheless, Prayers out to Dieng. He seems like one of those nice Nigerian boys that Pitino always seems to get. They go to the nba and make millions. Remember Olajuwon, The Nigerian Nightmare!! He was a bad ass baller . Go Cats. With or without Dieng. The still got Chene bohanna whatever. He’s turned in to a beast?

38. Tiffany UKGAL-In FL
    4:48 am November 27, 2012 Permalink

I hope Dieng is healthy for the big game, because I don’t want to hear “we lost because one of our best players was out”. No excuses -CATS want to win with all the horses in the race!! GO UK!