Gorgui Dieng questions UK’s “team”

dieng

Former Louisville center Gorgui Dieng respects Kentucky basketball but thinks Louisville is ‘more of a team.‘ The soon-to-be first round draft pick acknowledged Kentucky’s star-studded 2013-14 lineup during an interview with sNY.tv, then questioned if the Wildcats will be able to play together.

He said, “They always have the best players and always, I don’t want to say best players, they always have the chance but are they going to be a team? We don’t know. You can have a lot of pieces but it’s tough to have a team.”

“We always have a team. we always have a team,” he added. “Thats what Coach ‘P’ is all about — team. He doesn’t care who you are . You can be the best player but if you do something wrong, he’s going to sit you down. If you’re body fat is over nine percent, you won’t play.”

Dieng also said he believes this year’s Louisville Cardinals will be better than the group he won an NCAA championship with just a few months ago.

Is it December 28 yet?

[Gorgui Dieng Says Louisville Will Be Better Next Year]

Article written by Drew Franklin

98 Comments for Gorgui Dieng questions UK’s “team”

1. Brian
    1:18 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

keep dreaming!!!

2. TimeFor9
    1:18 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Are we sure that was translated correctly?

3. UK
    1:19 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

The 2012 team wasn’t much of a “team” either. They just beat Gorgui twice.

4. PayPalCal
    1:21 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

“The Mild Kitty Code = Yew Kay Pays You, You STFU.

5. Facts
    1:22 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

I’m a huge UK fan….hate Louisville as much as anyone…..but I agree with Dieng 100%. If this team’s chemistry is like last year’s chemistry, it won’t matter if every player, trainer, and coach were all McDonald’s All Americans…..we won’t even make the Elite 8.

6. Dave
    1:23 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

They beat UK once since Cal came onboard and suddenly Kentucky is just a bunch of indifferent loners. Come on! PS- how are they going to be so much better with their starting center and PG gone? Here is the truth: the team with the best players usually wins. UK did not have the best players.

7. Musehobo
    1:24 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

I absolutely hate that this was posted. First, it’s a non story. Dude didn’t diss us. Secondly, Dieng is literally the nicest UL player EVER. When asked about UK last year he said something to the effect of “I really like them”. Thirdly, if anybody says anything racist KSR should ban their IP address. Please don’t embarrass us.

8. Big Blue Coming at You!
    1:25 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

So when we won it in 2012, that wasnt a team? We did it with younger better talent then and we will do it again. UL only won it all because they were the best of a down year. Does he realize they have no experienced PG this year? Just look how bad our season went without a PG.

9. Kenny H
    1:27 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Three French Hens

10. Charlie
    1:27 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

7 – I agree with you, there was nothing that outrageous, or controversial, said about UK. As evidenced last season, these guys becoming an actual team could be a legitimate concern, I don’t think it will be, but the argument could be made.

11. UK team
    1:27 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Yo click-click, get my name out ya mouth.

12. Sam
    1:28 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

6: I don’t believe the team with the best players wins. That is a myth. Obviously, you have to have great talent. You can’t take mediocre players who play LIKE A TEAM, and expect to play a well-coached team of superior talent and win. That won’t happen.

BUT, BUT, BUT you can take “decent” players who are professional at fundamentals and therefore play like a team, because a team is committed to the fundamentals of basketball, so…you CAN take decent players and beat ALL DAY LONG a team that doesn’t play good fundamental basketball. ALL DAY LONG.

The problem is that at the elite level of Div 1, coaches will not allow their teams to stray too far from the fundamentals, and therefore you MUST HAVE GREAT TALENT. So if the talent is relatively equal, then the team with the most “teamwork” and devotion to the basics, will win.

13. FrankTheTank
    1:28 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

I agree with him too. UL will be better this year than the were last year. And IF (not gonna happen) our Cats don’t develop team chemistry, they won’t meet their potential.
    However, these Cats are already working on that and this coaching staff has learned from past mistakes.
    What I do totally disagree with is Dieng insinuating that Pitino is more about “team” than Coach Cal. I would argue that Coach Cal is more about “team” (players first) and Coach Pitino is more about Coach Pitino.

14. Peckerwood
    1:29 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

So Chane Behanan currently doesn’t and Derrick Character didn’t have above 9% body fat. Ok, cool. Horse shit.

15. Charlie
    1:29 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

8 – There was nothing said about the 2011-12 team, obviously winning a title, they were a great team, the main context of this quote is referencing the 2012-13 team.

16. Rockfield, KY
    1:29 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

If you acknowledge that you don’t know how good of a team they’ll be next year, you cannot make the statement that Louisville will be a better team. Use some logic there, Gorgui.

17. whathesay
    1:30 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

That’s what got Sypher thrown in jail….She was not a team player

18. Rockfield, KY
    1:30 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

That being said, I like Gorgui and generally enjoy hearing him give interviews. Like #7 said, he’s the nicest UL player I’ve ever seen.

19. african
    1:33 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

He can speak english???

20. Kidnut
    1:40 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

A comments thread that makes a UK fan proud. Good for Gorgui, prop your team.

21. I DON"T GET IT????
    1:40 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Gorgui says:

1. UK has great players….correct.
    2. UK will always have great players…correct.
    3. No one knows if UK will have a great team…correct.

Everything he said is true. What’s the problem Old Brother, are ya feelin cranky?

22. Mack
    1:42 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

He wins one game out of how many attempts and he still thinks they are better than the CATS?

23. Am I an homer u?
    1:42 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Uhh…. I agree with what he says 100 percent…
    Hello… Archie Goodwin team cancer years… Anthony Davis break goal off years
    Each year we wonder how good of a team we will become.. Nothing to see here move along

24. dang
    1:43 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Gorgui smoking on that Afghani kush

25. James
    1:45 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Most of the sane fans on this comment section are correct. This is a non-story and Gorgui is a good kid. Remember he was the one that said Russ Arena is disrespectful. Lets not make a big deal over some harmless comments like the dick over at Card Chronicle does. Let our players do the talking on the court next season.

26. Lexington
    1:46 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Gorgui seems like a great person, and always shows respect for UK.. I agree with what he says here.. Still hate UofL though..

27. BigBlue
    1:46 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

He is right.

28. Ozwll
    1:55 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

This is a non story only that ananist Drew Franklin trying to stir things up

29. Mc
    1:59 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #16. Additionally, a lot of they team dynamic revolves around a point guard getting other’s involved and controlling the pace of the game. If UL loses their point guard it’s difficult to know how they’ll perform as a team. Plus, I’d like to add (before the trolls) throw in a NIT comment, that Pitino has lead two of his “teams” at UL to the NIT.

30. Average Fan
    2:01 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

This is why I go to Sea of Blue. All the stories are about lil bro and half the posts are from Tard Fans. SMH…

31. Bobbum man
    2:01 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Non story any rational UK fan will tell you the same thing

32. UKBlue
    2:04 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Really kid stop doing drugs, you’re about to be drafted. For someone who is supposed to be so smart, those are some extremely stupid comments. These idiot UL fans keep forgetting, Coach P was our coach first, and we all know Coach P is totally full of ______. Coach P is all about TEAM, Coach P is all about Coach P. Kid get over yourself, UL got lucky & finally won because college basketball was so bad last year. UL was so great, they almost got beat by Wich St.

33. Al/in/Indy
    2:07 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Also, if the dog hadn’t stopped to take a squat, he would’ve caught the rabbit. So I wish him nothing but the best!

34. asdf
    2:08 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

He’s a Card player. He’s SUPPOSED to think that. And he did so in a respectful way, so I have no beef with the kid. Truth is, they are more of a team right now, but they might not be by Dec 28th…

35. I Remember When
    2:10 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

I remember when people (most) on here were rooting for U of L to win the title… THIS is why you never want them to win a title, ever. Not that this comment is a big deal, it’s just stuff like this will constantly be said and talked about until UK is on top again.

36. the Big Dog
    2:10 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Dung is correct as far as last season goes. But that is the only Calipari team at UK that has not played well together. In fact, the 2011 UL team was more talented than the UK that beat them at home by 18.

37. Steve
    2:14 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Last year has to make people really wonder how good a coach Cal is. Even Tubby never missed the NCAA tournament at UK.

38. carolinacatfan
    2:16 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Yes Gorgui… a TEAM that lost to UK all but one time we played you during your tenure

39. Hey Steve
    2:16 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

37, im sure the fact the (presumed) #1 pick and leader of our team going down with a season ending injury with not much time to prepare for his loss affected the tournament a lot more than cal’s coaching. I wonder why people don’t get that…

40. CATS
    2:17 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Dieng has always been respectful towards UK, like last year he refused to call Rupp “Russ Arena”. The kid is a total class act and said nothing wrong about UK.

41. tyson
    2:24 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

I disagree with those saying this is a non-story. I’m glad Drew posted it. It was an interesting interview. And I also agree with Deng about UK 100%. If we have the chemistry we had last year–none–it won’t matter how talented we are. Now I don’t think that will be an issue, but you never know.

42. C A T S
    2:29 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Aw Horse S#!T…. Why even let a loserville player have a voice on this site? You KNOW he’s gonna say something pro-loserville/anit-UK—DUH!
    GO BIG BLUUUUE!!! #9 ON IT’S WAY…! That is all

43. Musehobo
    2:29 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Where are the mods? I knew it would happen you jerks. No need for the racist comments by “african” and “ukteam”. You are an embarrassment to everyone around you.

44. steve
    2:30 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

39, you still had Poythress, Goodwin, and WCS, all of whom are NBA draft choices. Cal did a terrible job with the roster not using 5 scholarships to give much needed depth. I think last season humbled Cal as he couldn’t control the players. I mean who are you going to replace Archie Goodwin with whenever he gets out of control? Brian Long? It was embarrassing losing to Winthrop in the NIT while UL won the NC. Even their women’s team superceded what Matthew Mitchell’s women’s team was able to accomplish.

45. Gorgui Dieng
    2:34 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@16 I said we don’t know if Kentucky will be a good team AND, I “THINK” we will be a better team (UofL). Both statements are not definitive in nature. You would have a valid point if I said “We don’t know if UK will have a good team, but I KNOW that we will have a better one”.

Master ONE language and then correct a man that knows five.

46. tltaworl
    2:34 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

40. I don’t know the guy, but I have encountered Pitno on several occasions. Anybody that would go play for that slime is not a “total class act”. That being said, I agree. Who knows what we will get. But I predict #9

47. Faycts
    2:35 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

#37 Tubby only went to one final four at UK. Cals already been to two in four years. Try again.

48. Tom Jurich
    2:35 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@45 BOOM!

49. tltaworl
    2:35 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

44. We played Winthrop?

50. Chane Behanan
    2:36 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@45 You are point, blank, period, correct sir! Roasted!

51. Lingo Patrol
    2:39 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

#40 knows what mods are!

52. Boogie
    2:39 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@ 45 Dang, dude you gotz him yo!

53. Coach Stoopid
    2:40 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@45 That was stoopid yo! Dang!

54. A-a RON #2
    2:41 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@45 DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mercked him!

55. Drew Barker
    2:42 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@45 Oh ish that was cold son! You totally owned that guy!!!

56. Matthew Jone
    2:43 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@45 Dude you have to join our radio show, that was beast!!!

57. Shannon the Dude
    2:45 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@ 45 Oh snaps!

58. Danny
    2:45 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

So was the 2011-2012 Championship team just a bunch of great players or were they an actual team? Because the last I recall they beat his “actual team” twice. I like Gorgui but I hope he doesn’t turn into one of the delusional U of L robots.

59. Coach Cow
    2:46 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@45 Will you marry my daughter Erin? You’re so awesome! I live by the Dieng Code now.

60. Gorgui Dieng
    2:48 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@59 Nope, I liked her when she had purple hair, but now she is busted and you would be an annoying Father-in-Law. Sorry…

61. TimeFor9
    2:49 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

44 No, it wasn’t embarrassing losing to Winthrop bc we didn’t lose to Winthrop. Yeah, Robert Morris, that may have been embarrassing to some but not to me since we were coming off a championship year. Bad years happen and we’ve certainly had more good years than bad w Cal.

Yeah, your women’s team went farther in the tournament…but at the end of the day they don’t have the championship and they lost to us AT HOME that same year so not much to brag about there.

62. Obama
    2:49 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@60 Oh my goodness, you got him. I should have made you V.P.!!

63. Ricky P
    2:50 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

59 I won’t marry your daughter but I’ll cheat on my wife with her and if she gets pregnant, no problem there, I have great “health insurance”

64. Satan
    2:51 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@60 That was harsh, but lolz.

65. Peyton Siva
    2:52 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

60 will you marry me? Can I get a L yeah?

66. Peyton Siva
    2:53 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

hey wait, 60 that really isn’t you is it Gorgui? We all know your English is busted, you didn’t type that sentence.

67. Coach Cow
    2:54 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@63 I can easily have the marriage vacated!

68. Coach Cow
    2:55 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@66 You’re a *&*#! Mexican idiot”. (Actual quote).

69. Ricky P
    2:58 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

67 what fun would that be? I love cheating on my wife! But now that the ladies know I’m only a 15-second man, no one wants to play. Thank God for Peyton, that’s hot piece of…ok I’ll stop, my pants just got sticky.

70. Little Ricky
    2:59 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Hey dad, I’m available and I can’t get pregnant so the coast is clear!

71. Ricky P
    3:03 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Hey guys I’m thinking about getting a tramp stamp. Karen’s name on my lower back, it’ll go great with this awesome championship tattoo I have. What are your thoughts?

72. 45
    3:08 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

I sort of get what 16 is saying. Dieng said they always have a team. He also said with UK you don’t know, because you can have a lot of pieces, but it’s tough to have a team. Then he says he thinks next year’s UL team will be better than this year’s team. However, who knows if the new pieces will play cohesively? If you say UL always has a team, but they’ve been to 2 NIT’s under Pitino, the question again for UL and every single team, is are they going to play as a team?

73. Few Dranklin
    3:10 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

NEWS FLASH!!!!

Within 6 months, him nor his opinion will not matter to anyone & his whereabouts may be unknown.

74. Ricky P
    3:12 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@69 Uuuuhhh I think you’re confusing me with Coach Cal, he’s the one who said if you play basketball you have to “love men”. Gay Code!

75. LexCathCat
    3:13 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Your “team” lost to Kentucky’s “band of emotionless mercenaries” 4/5 times, Gorgs. Shut it.

76. Coach Cal
    3:15 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

You’ve gotta go underground in a coal mine, men like being with other men…. You’re men you love being around men!!!!

77. Coach Cal
    3:17 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@Gorgui, men like being with other men. How can you say I don’t like team chemistry?

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

78. Peyton Siva
    3:28 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

76, 77 please stop making fun of my people. It’s really ignorant. #Pride

79. Elisha Justice
    3:30 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

74 yeah right, why do you think I really got the hell out of Louisville. Coach loved my smooth chest.

80. Rafters
    3:34 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@35… Boohoo. Here’s a kleenex. Complain all you want, but you don’t & won’t dictate what goes on this site. This website is a free service requiring nothing of you, quit being a little bitch and don’t come to the website if it upsets you so much, maybe you should find something else to stress about? You don’t contribute to the content, and your anonymous complaining doesn’t do anything, so why “bite the hand that feeds you”?

81. Toothless guy in ky
    3:35 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Oh no he didn’t say that,them birdies need to watch there mouths…now back to smoking my meth with the rest of the republicans

82. Cards4Life
    3:41 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

ha ha yo dat’s wut u uofk fanz be gettin, Gorgi done told u catz whatz up. L1C4 beootches. Damn my blunt jus burned a hole in mamaz couch, i gotz to bounce before popz gets home.

83. Tommy J
    3:44 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

74 – There’s always room for 2 in my turtlenecks…or 3 (here’s looking at you, Peyton *wink wink)

84. Sammydog
    3:47 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

UL should hope they have a better team next year if they want to contend. Last year was one of the weakest ever for college basketball with multiple good teams but no great teams. This year will be very different with lots of great players.

85. Michael Porter
    3:54 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Did somebody say Siva, he’s cute…. How old is he? I wish i’d played against him instead of Sosa, Sosa looked too old.

86. Michael Porter
    3:58 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Bwaahahahahahah, did someone say young team?

87. Lamont
    4:17 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Hello inbreds

If it was such a weak year, how did Cal with a number one recruiting class get beat by Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT?

88. Archie
    4:18 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Let Dieng eat they feet!

89. keith [email protected]
    4:18 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

I think Gorgui needs concentrate on development of his pro game and not about how good UK will be an x UL player,please give me a break these guys all are coming to UK to be a team and win a championship as a team in that all of them has stated that,and 4me thats good enough for me. All of you x ULplayers keep UK out of your mouth,thank you. GO CATS.

90. Tony Buckets
    4:19 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Where’s Sally Struthers asking for a nickel a day????

91. Rafters
    4:37 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

@89… Dude grammar aside, it was an interview. Relax. You think Gorgui just randomly after a workout with the Knicks thought I’ll stir the pot and show everyone how much I am worrying about UK and their next title contention? Please. Guy was representing his team, the reigning National Champions, and as the “rivalry” (as it was mentioned in the actual article several times) was probably brought up and his thoughts on the matter make up most of this story. Idiot.

92. keith [email protected]
    4:38 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

I just got a rare thought,was it not that this X UL bb player,who tweeted to Tyus Jones for him not to go to UK,and that UK was no good 4him,and he should come to UL.I think that mayb Gorgui wish he would have came to UK,in that he’s keeps UK in his mouth.

93. Judy
    5:11 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

KOOL_AID drinking time. (Be sure you have the TEAM, always the team.)lol

94. Sammydog
    5:14 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

#87 The #1 rated recruiting class was weak along with all of college basketball. There were many upsets last year that would not have happened in a strong year. The strength of a class varies from year to year. This years class is loaded with monster talent across the board. All the top schools will benefit from the higher quality of the players. Unlike last year with a lot of mediocre to good teams, there will be several great teams this year. The games will be played at a higher level.

95. IHeartULandalsoHeartLittleBoys
    6:38 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

#87)
    Here’s a simple answer: 6 players leave for the NBA, the #1 class in a weak class where we picked up 4 players, no depth thanks to 6 players leaving for the NBA (wrap your head around that 10% of the NBA draft were UK players), the #1 player in college gets injured leaving an already short-handed team completely depleted, miss tournament and have nothing to play for on the road. How’s that for you? Now go back to your basement with the other little boys.
    P.S. UL has been in the NIT twice under Pitino.

96. Reality
    6:46 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

I believe Dieng thinks we could be better b/c the redshirt player he went against in practice is underrated and Harrell will get more PT next year.

Unleash the beast!

97. BigBlue
    9:53 pm June 18, 2013 Permalink

Gorgui Dieng seems to be an okay kid, I don’t like his school, but he’s not a thug, doesn’t have more tattoos than teeth and isn’t everyone’s “Gorgui Dieng is better than…..”
    With that said, he could be right, you don’t know how well 18 year old kids are going to mesh together, even though our combined class has as many stars in it as the flag…

98. ShotClock Ricky
    7:32 am June 19, 2013 Permalink

Wait a minute, so he didn’t give UK praise being a former UL player? That’s ridiculous! BoZILCH should do an article on this and talk about how he really missed an opportunity to talk about how great UK’s recruiting class is! I’m a UK fan, can’t stand BoZILCH, and think it’s funny when fans expect someone from a different school to just gush over them. I don’t mind Dieng, seems like a good kid, but this is why I never pull for anybody but UK!!!