Gorgui and Nerlens, Best Friends Forever?

Adam Lefkoe, WHAS 11 reporter and amateur freestyle rapper, sat down with Gorgui Dieng recently to catch up with the former Louisville star as he prepares for next week’s NBA draft. ┬áThe two talked draft projection, his native Senegal, and tax brackets, but it’s what Gorgui said about Nerlens Noel and Kentucky basketball that caught our attention.

Gorgui told Lefkoe that he will root for Kentucky in the future whenever the Cats aren’t playing Louisville, and he’s found a new good friend in Nerlens Noel. The two former rivals talk weekly and plan to continue the friendship for many years to come.

“I’m really impressed by how good of a person he is,” Gorgui said of Noel. “Me and him are going to stop playing basketball [one day] and we can be like friends forever.”

Dammit, Gorgui. Quit being so damn likable.

Watch at the 3:40 mark…

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Gorgui and Nerlens, Best Friends Forever?

1. FerdMan
    12:10 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

The most amazing part is in the 2nd paragraph where Nerlens talks about being friends with himself!

2. Chuck
    12:11 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens said he would root for uk or did Gorgui?

3. Basteballer
    12:11 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Shocking that Nerlens will root for Kentucky in the future when they aren’t playing for Louisville AND he has found a friend in himself; the greatest love of all.

4. jeremy
    12:12 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Drew – Been out of town for a couple weeks. Whatever happened to your vacation plans? As I was leaving, somebody skipped out on you and you were trying to find someone else to go with

5. Coal Miner
    12:13 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Just saw Lee on campus and he wouldn’t sign my ball. Said he wasn’t allowed. What’s the deal???

6. Drew Franklin
    12:15 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

1, 2, 3, — Writing while watching The Sopranos = typos

7. James
    12:18 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

#2 and #3: it was Gorgui that said he will root for UK when they aren’t playing Louisville. If you actually watched the video then you would know that. And honestly, it was a little confusing the way it was written.

I like Gorgui. He is a classy dude.

#5: Leave the players alone, OK? The last thing they want is 20 dweebs like you asking them to sign their Wal-Mart purchased ball every 30 seconds.

RIP Tony S.

8. RahRah
    12:19 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Ah ha! So this is the questionable company Nerlens has been surrounding himself with. lol

9. The master of the LEDLE LEDLE LEE
    12:23 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

#5 probably made that up. Dieng shouldn’t have wen’t to Louisville, he’s to nice and smart for them.

10. HA!
    12:24 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

#8 – Well played, my friend.

11. Duuuuuude
    12:29 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Ha #8…..was going to say the same thing!

#5….so you are walking around campus and you just happen to be packing a basketball when up walks Marcus Lee? Hmmmm….

12. Bart Edwards
    12:42 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

#5 — It is not wrong for him to sign autographs — it is simply an NCAA violation for him to CHARGE for an autograph. Many, many fans are confused aboutthese rules as well. Lee just hasn’t been educated thoroughly and is spooked about committing an NCAA offense. It’s just like fans who are afraid to chant recruits’names at games because someone told them it was an infraction.

13. Chuck
    12:55 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

#7 it’s quite obvious that it was Gorgui who said it, I thought it was also pretty obvious that we were joking about the typo.

14. Philuk18
    12:57 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

I’ve always thought Dieng was too classy for Louisville and this merely confirmed it. He was always the one guy I begrudgingly respected on their team. Best of luck to him at the best level

15. LOL
    1:00 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Of the first 5 posts on this “UK” blog, 60% are about Louisville. I’d be jealous if I were you, too.

16. #13
    1:01 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Gotcha.

17. FurdTurgason
    1:05 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Autographs are so dumb. Just sign it yourself and tell people he signed it for you.

18. PhilUK18
    1:06 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

15.

You people are so stupid. I don’t know how they teach math at UL, but I learned a long, long time ago that 8 > 3 and 31 > 15 (all time regular season series record, in favor of UK of course). Pretty much any record you can point to that UL has, the Cats can better it. UK fans aren’t jealous at all and you’re delusional if you think otherwise

19. Musehobo
    1:07 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

So yesterday we bash Dieng and today we laud him? I mentioned this then, but Dieng is the nicest UL player ever. I wish he was at UK. He makes hating UL a slight bit harder…but obviously not that much.

20. Tom Blevins
    1:53 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Gorgui Dieng is a nice person, and a man of good character. Louisville was lucky to have him playing for them.

21. Coach Boone
    1:58 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me, or does he look like Julius on Remember the Titans?

22. UKBlue
    2:03 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Theeeee Frreeeench Heeens

23. Coal Miner
    2:14 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Not quite #11, I’m a senior that is attending a summer class that parks right beside of the Coal Lodge. I keep the ball is my trunk incase I see any of the players.

24. Coal Miner
    2:16 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

And #7, I’m pretty sure they enjoy the stardom they experience on campus. Why would they dislike the greatest fan experience in college basketball? If I was on campus as a freshman player I would be signing anything possible.

25. James
    2:32 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

#24- I’m sure they do too but it has to get old after a while. It’s when they have had enough that they might be rude to a fan and then that fan cries to the newspaper and they get bad press.

And you carry a ball in your trunk just in case? #StalkerAlert

26. Coal Miner
    3:02 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

#25, agree to disagree.

Just like Matt said on the radioshow this morning, Players that interacted with fans (Wall,Boogie,MKG) are typically more successful than the ones that don’t time for the fans (Archie,Poythress).
    I just want this team to be successful and take the whole BBN experience in.

27. UK9NCAASHIPS
    3:39 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

#26 Lee is constantly taking pics with fans and signing things for kids. You may have caught him at a bad time or he really thought he couldn’t sign something. Just also be understanding that the kids have lives and schedules and can’t always sign things.

28. Wildcat17
    4:56 pm June 20, 2013 Permalink

Nerlens Noel is all class on and off the court….Wish him all the best in the NBA