Gordon wins MVP; Harrisons, Young, Lee on winning team

Two of basketball’s ugliest uniforms got together for the McDonald’s All-American game Wednesday night in the Windy City and on your televisions on ESPN. The game, which featured six future Wildcats, at least, was your typical high school all-star game snoozefest with an occasional Aaron Gordon jam mixed in. There were bricks, turnovers, airballs, bricks and turnovers, with very little defense from either side. Like I said, your typical high school all-star game.

Our own Kristen Geil was in the building and she’ll be by shortly with a recap of the evening. For now, just know that Aaron Gordon took MVP honors with 24 points and eight rebounds in a winning effort for the WEST, while Jalen Rose and Jay Williams were brutal on the TV broadcast. In Andrew Wiggins news, he proved he’s more than just a scorer by shutting down Jabari Parker.

Julius Randle and the Harrisons looked great. You’re going to love Lee, Johnson and Young, too.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

54 Comments for Gordon wins MVP; Harrisons, Young, Lee on winning team

1. natural macaroni
    11:39 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

This game would have been brilliant if I could have ever read the names on the back of the jersey’s…or even the numbers on the black and grey ones. The uniforms were brutal.

2. Rixter
    11:40 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

The camouflage is getting old.. how about paisley uni’s? Argyle? Cashmere?

3. natural macaroni
    11:40 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Julius Randle looked taller and skinnier than I expected.

4. natural macaroni
    11:41 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Dakari Johnson looked like he has way more offense than I was expecting.

5. boss
    11:41 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

What about Dakari? I thought he played great

6. Rei
    11:41 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Kennedy Meeks looked impressive, eh?

7. Scott
    11:42 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Kennedy Meeks looks like SAMs from Lean on Me! He ain’t no 285lbs either, more like 320lbs.

8. SexnNursinHomes
    11:43 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

That Kennedy Meeks didn’t deserve to be on that team. He sucks donkey balls.

I loved the seeing our guys.

9. natural macaroni
    11:43 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I thought maybe I saw somebody who potentially looked like either Aaron Harrison, James Young, Andrew Harrison, or Marcus Lee at some point…but then again they were wearing uniforms that only L’ville would be proud of, so who knows.

10. Big Mac with cheese
    11:44 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Kennedy Meeks tried to make out with me during a timeout :0

11. UK22
    11:44 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

They make it look easy. If ya ain’t competitive get the f out.

12. natural macaroni
    11:44 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

It was nice to see Wayne Selden Jr. continuing the trend of Kansas players making bad decisions at the end of a basketball game. How was he the only guy in the arena who realized they needed a 3 to get to 100?

13. natural macaroni
    11:45 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

*didn’t realize

14. SexnNursinHomes
    11:45 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

unc already has Meeks classes lined up for the Fall semester

Donuts 101
    Intro to Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, and that Shit They Put In Slurpies 103
    Advanced Diabetes 205

15. Scott
    11:46 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Gordon poppin his jersey at every chance he got really made him look like a douche…both teams have the same thing on the front, there kid!

16. tdogg40330
    11:48 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

15) I kinda thought the same thing

17. 2013
    11:50 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t realize Randle was that quick or that he could handle the ball like that?? Can’t wait for next yr!!!!

18. Manny Fresh
    11:50 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Did you see my body double out there, Kennedy Meeks?

19. Ace man
    11:51 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Jalen rose and jay Williams were terrible. That was the worse moderation ever. It was brutal to listen to.

20. Jake
    11:51 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Poppin a jersey with sleeves… very dumb.

21. Fat Albert
    11:52 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Damnit! Kennedy Meeks stole my jersey and my Lil Debbie’s!

22. Bizzarro World
    11:54 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Dakari is Nazr 2.0. Meeks is hilarious. Can’t believe UNC offered him a scholly.

23. CaptObvious
    11:54 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I know these are a stretch….
    Comparisons:
    Randle = Mash
    Johnson = More athletic but smaller Nazr Mohammad
    Young = D.Lamb
    Lee = More skilled Perry Stevenson
    Twins = Not sure who but serious freakin pros…two deadly assassins!

24. TheProfessor
    11:54 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Call me crazy, but I rank the Harrison twins and Randle ahead of Wiggins. I think Randle is far more skilled than Wiggins (not to say Wiggins ceiling isn’t higher with his freakish athleticism), but Randle looks like the better player right now. The Harrrison twins look like the best guards Coach Cal has brought on board so far.

25. The winner tonight...
    11:55 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky Basketball. The rest of NCAA is playing for second place next year. I bet jay/jaylen mentioned UK 50 times tonight. Wow!!!

26. green river 46
    11:55 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

It would have been if I had listen to the game on radio.

27. Bizzarro World
    11:55 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

15) true, but his throw downs made him look like the next douchey Blake Griffin

28. Bizzarro World
    11:56 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Harrison’s didn’t get the memo- you’re not supposed to pass the ball

29. STEVE!
    11:57 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

When do Big Blue Madness tickets go on sale!?!

30. Bizzarro World
    11:59 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I hate UofL as much as the next Cats fan, but watching Ware cry on Sportscenter talking about his injury doesn’t help me hope for them to lose this weekend

31. C-A-T-S
    11:59 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I thought all future cats played great. The Harrison twins are ridiculous. Notice the team with the best guard play was up almost 20 at one point. Yeah they are serious. Randle is a beast. Young is a slasher. If Johnson got the ball at the block it was always two point and lee is athletic as hell. Now if wiggins come. My God. This team is going to be ridiculous.

32. mashburnfan1
    12:00 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

12} if you think most players care about fans you are in dream land. He had to show how good he could dunk, that and his chances of actually making a three are 20%.

33. Bizzarro World
    12:01 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

I did however enjoy watching Jabari Parker and Matt Jones stink it up tonight

34. eric cartman
    12:02 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

27) blake griffin: 54% from the field for a guy who only scores on fast breaks.

sounds about right.

35. adolph oliver bush
    12:03 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait to see WCS and Johnson down low, a plethora of 2-3-4 combinations, and our twins knocking it down from Texas. Sign up our boy from Madison Co. KY, and we have a DEEP team. Oh, did I mention Wiggins?

Sick

36. tdogg40330
    12:04 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

25) Jay Williams was talkin up the CATS, commentating was terrible but that
    made up for it. He believes Wiggins should be in UK blue too, bonus points
    for the Dukie ….lol

37. This Is it...
    12:07 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

30…I cut part of a finger off years ago…The guy will be fine…Guys at rehab today told me he’ll be ready 6-8 mo…Easy for me to pull against them…But, I do think they win it…LOL..

38. Bizzarro World
    12:08 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

Terrence jones getting to play some tonight finally- 12 pts, 9 rebs in 23 minutes.

39. Bizzarro World
    12:13 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

14 pts, 11 rebs now

40. jake
    12:14 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

If it were not for the dunks i don’t think gordon would have had any points

41. jake
    12:17 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

Also, I’m glad gordon’s not a ky wildcat because he kept on popping his all american jersey on several different occasions.

42. the j
    12:25 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

the only thing i got out of aaron gordon was dunking. like blake griffin, looking to dunk everything.

43. genochicago
    12:37 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

at the game tonight…gordon went up for a monster (under the leg) jam and ralphed the edge of the rim before half-time – pretty embarrassing. I’m glad we didn’t take that chap. he was all about #1

44. adolph oliver bush
    12:40 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

About Gordon dunking, it should be noted that he didn’t create those plays, the MVP should be given to the assist leaders.

45. Kevin C.
    3:12 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

Guys, stop being so hard on Meeks…it’s obvious Roy recruited him as a “project”. Of course, that project is likely something akin to “If I keep him here for 4 years, I wonder just how big he can get, if we just feed him all the dadgum Twinkies and DQ Blizzards he can eat?”

46. Bobby Knight's Shrink
    3:37 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

#24 – PROFESSOR, you need to go back to Gilligan’s Island….Ginger is calling !

47. BlueRedNeck
    6:35 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

46, if Ginger was calling me, you damn well know I would be there! Now if it was Mary Ann, I would be there in a heartbeat.

48. BlueRedNeck
    6:37 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

SNH, he could teach that class! The Cats are going to have that kid wheezing for air when we play them this year. He only got 7 minutes – they were probably afraid he would have a coronary out there. Maybe they should change his name from “Meeks” to “Cheeks”…

49. Axe Cop
    8:03 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

Some of you guys knocking Gordon are incredible. What if he had committed to UK? He was the most entertaining player out there last night and he was just an excited teenager clearly proud of getting to be part of the MDAA experience. Stop being butthurt.

50. RahRah
    8:06 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait till next season. These kids are amazing with or without Wiggins, but I gotta say he seems like a good kid and I sure hope he decides to wear blue/white very soon. Aaron Gordon is quite impressive but I don’t think he would have been a good fit with the amount of talent we’re about to have.

Loved that the Harrison twins were doing Coach Cal’s recruiting for him. One would think Wiggins would really want to play for a guard team that passes the way they do!

Worst commentators ever! The uniforms made it very hard to tell who was who and those guys calling the game didn’t even bother to interupt their meaningless drivel to tell us who scored in many cases. That camo with mirror-type numbers is impossible to read if you’re over 40. Not to mention ugly.

51. Uk4life
    8:37 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

#50 is right on. Jalen and Jay were terrible. it was all about them. I wanted to hear them say who scored, because the announcer was hard to hear. This new bunch is going to be quite entertaining. Hooe they gel well and don’t get bored with high scoring games.

52. Uk4life
    8:38 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

“Hope” they gel well.

53. BPM
    9:20 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

Ive got no problem with Jalen and Jay – two media members who actually like Calipari and UK. 50% of the broadcast was them talking about how great UK was. It could have been alot worse.

54. Jackson Purchase
    9:55 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

18 of Aaron Gordons 24 points were on wide open dunks.