Gordon Gee finally apologizes to UK

gordon-gee-2013-b50769fe753036f9
What else would you expect from a man who spent $64,000 on bow ties?

Last week, Ohio State president Gordon Gee’s derogatory comments about the University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, and the SEC sparked some serious southern pride around these parts. In case you need a refresher, Gee said that the Big Ten would never consider adding UofL or UK because it values “academic integrity,” and that members of the SEC couldn’t read or write.

As you can expect, Gee faced a crapstorm of criticism, and was forced to apologize to SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. Apparently, he also apologized to UK president Eli Capilouto over the weekend. According to UK spokesman Jay Blanton: “They talked. (Capilouto) appreciated the conversation.”

I just hope Gee appreciates the beat downs his school will get from the SEC year after year.

21 Comments for Gordon Gee finally apologizes to UK

1. quickie
    11:23 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like he has been hanging out with another mental midget from OSU, Bob Knight.

2. Dude
    11:29 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Say sorry all you want…you won’t change and you are still a douche.

3. Jughead
    11:33 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Snarky dirtball.

4. bosshogg24
    11:41 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

Gordon Gee needs to be fired, he is an embarrassment to OSU and the state of Ohio!

5. Bluebloodtoo
    11:48 am June 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m just not buying his apology. I’m sure he said something like “I was just pandering to the audience” but I don’t care. That’s not an appropriate way to spark a fan base for someone who makes millions of dollars a year.
    Part of my irritation here is the fact that this guy does this over and over. The other part of my irritation is that’s its too easy to say whatever you want on camera and then recant later. You can’t take back the words that you say. They have already been said and damage is done.
    There are so many remedial courses that are mandated by government and other organization to teach people how to deal with their emotions in appropriate manners. People who are figureheads in society should be role models and portray those things that others are trying to teach.
    Poor role models should not be in positions like this.

6. just sayin...
    12:14 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I’ll preface this by saying that I’m a huge UK fan and totally disagree with what this guy said….BUT…

We bitch and moan about our rights and free speech, etc….then we bitch when someone exercises that right. We just need to relax, he said what he said, but who really cares?

7. Casey Johnson
    12:16 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Talking can hear all wounds. I recently came home from a hydrogen conference a little tipsy from a couple of Zimas and Marc was none too please. We talked it out then hugged it out later shirtless though.

8. Ogygian
    12:28 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Gee’s bizarre physical appearance gives credence to the rumor that his presence on this earth can be attributed to a back-seat mating between Yoda and Janet Reno.

9. bigbluetrue
    12:31 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

the apology totally unnecessary, as UK as well as ALL southern universities are sub-par!!!

10. gossie21
    12:41 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I don’t really care too much about his comments. I’m fine with competitive banter between conferences and schools.

What concerns me is that I keep hearing Gee is the likely replacement to Emmert if a change is to happen soon. If Gee were to be given the reins to the NCAA I fear what could happen to UK. We may never have another recruit cleared to play in any sport.

11. Kanye West
    12:43 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Don’t ever fix your lips like collagen, and say something when you gon’ end up apologing!

12. PatCat
    12:50 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I believe more focus should be given to the fact that Gee was the president of an SEC school, namely Vanderbilt University. Gee is not just insulting the SEC and Louisville, he is insulting a past employer who paid him handsomely. When he eventually leaves OSU for another school, you can expect that he will badmouth the Big 10 a few years later.

13. SorghoCat
    1:18 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

#7 Sounds like ya’ll are gay. Good for you an Maggard…

14. uk3k_J
    1:20 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

The guy is an overpaid clown. Who cares.

15. SoCal Will
    1:31 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Just another good reason to be thankful the Big 10 did not win the Final Four.

16. Rae
    2:01 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

6. Free speech has its limits, especially in regards to publication. For example, you can’t go around spreading rumors and lies about others if you are a public figure without eventually facing some sort of slander (or even libel in some circumstances) charge.

17. Steve
    2:38 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Just call him the “Head Queer” at The Ohio State University.

18. Just got wrung...
    3:24 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I believe Dr Gee just “retired” Under pressure from The Ohio State University.

19. youknow
    3:26 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Yep, announced his “retirement”

20. ole porkie
    4:14 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Apologizing WON’T make it “all right”.

21. Tharon Millard
    5:49 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m an avid UK fan who received my education partially at UK and degree from the University of South Carolina. I happen to live in Columbus, Ohio (not by choice, simply to be near my daughter). Isn’t it odd that so many educated people (i.e., Gordon Gee)can have so little common sense? His remarks were unacceptable, rude and insensitive. What does he really know about the SEC and Kentucky, in particular? His statement cannot be taken back and an apology (probably forced by the OSU trustees)just doesn’t get it.