Good Job! Good Effort!

bigred

Western Kentucky put up a heck of a fight tonight against Kansas, losing by a score of 64-57.  Despite the loss, Western accomplished something no one has ever been able to accomplish. For two hours, they united the fan bases of Kentucky and Louisville. No matter ones allegiances, basketball fans all across the commonwealth were gathered around their televisions rooting on Ray Harper and his transition lenses. (Seriously, look at these glasses.)

rayharpertransitionlenses

While cold shooting late and Jeff Withey doing his best Anthony Davis impression led to the Toppers ultimately coming up short, they represented the state of Kentucky very well and Ray Harper showed that he’s not just a pretty face. The man can coach. I’d expect him to be around Bowling Green for many years to come.

And let’s be honest. Western Kentucky didn’t lose this game. They just ran out of time. Right, Coach Self?

@AFlenerKSR

Article written by Aaron Flener

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

47 Comments for Good Job! Good Effort!

1. Dave
    12:36 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Great effort tops. That should just about end my interest in this tourney. How bout those redlegs!

2. Rae
    12:39 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

I remember one particular layup WKU missed late. It would have put them within 2. They wouldn’t have had to start fouling and they probably would have done it.

3. UKGAL-InFL
    12:44 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Very proud of WKU’s effort! I loved the commentator’s statement that college basketball ball hasn’t seen a shot blocker like Withy. Can you say Anthony Davis you jerk? I love how people forget our boys!

4. mashburnfan1
    12:49 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Team Tubby moved on beating the fighting shabazz of UCLA. Was prolly the last game at UCLA for Shabazz as he heads to the retirement home.

5. katzrjamers
    12:55 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

I salute everyone wearing WKU gear tonight – players, fans, and family. Your team taught ’em ’bout Kentucky.

6. This Is It
    12:56 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Great effort by wku, but it just goes to show that you must be able to put the ball in the basket …Sirs Charles and crew were giving wku and coach Harper some major props after the game…

7. WKYblue
    1:00 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

I’m from Owensboro,Ky. I followed Ray Harper in his playing days at Texas and Ky Wesleyan for Wayne Chapman(Rex Chapman’s dad)this guy is a winner. 4 National Championships in his coaching career. At Kentucky Wesleyan he owned Bruce Pearl at Indiana State University of Evansville. When the day comes that John Calapari retires I’d hope this guy gets alot of consideration for the job. What he has done at each program he has led speaks for itself. This guy can coach, no doubt about it.

8. UK fan
    1:01 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

That is the proudest I have been of a ky team all year

9. UKBlue
    1:01 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

I’d now be worried about Coach O getting recruited by UCLA, Ben Howland is defiantly getting fired.

UL Coach Hurrt is now on leave, bye bye Coach Hurtt.

10. Bigbluenationbigredmachine
    1:06 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

9) I’m praying they don’t get Smart or Stevens…

11. Dr. Funke
    1:09 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Meanwhile, John Wall 20 pts 16 ast only 1 TO in 45 min, beats Lakers. Tell me this guy is a bust!

12. Dr. Funke
    1:11 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Correction 24 points, made some late fts to seal the victory

13. John Ellis
    1:12 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Finally some games to celebrate – WKU even in a loss, FloridaGC exposing the Big East again and TUBBY! maybe ending Howland’s UCLA career. Also exposed was Shabazz. No he would not have lifted UK this year, he would have made it worse. Minnesota can be maddeningly casual even in a 20 point win, but will give Florida serious trouble if they’re on.

And UK’s season ended on a two game bummer, but you know beating Missouri after Nerlens was gone and then Florida were great games, and largely due to the underappreciated Willie. Props to him, Tubby and other underappreciated members of the BBN. Had Nerlens not gone down we’d be anticipating the next game.

14. WKYblue
    1:29 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Coach O getting a Head Coaching job should be a good thing. That’s what we all work for. To improve ourselves n make life better for our families. I would think holding him here as a hostage would be selfish on our part. I hope he can move on and make a name for himself as a head coach. Either way I’d like to think that he’s always a part of BBN. Do what’s best for u Coach O.

15. keNITucky
    1:44 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

United fan bases? Why would Card fans care about the Western game? Louisville season is still going.

16. Fun Facts
    1:47 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Withey blocked more shots than Davis in last years ncaa tourney.

17. WKYblue
    2:18 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

#16 I guess Whitey will be the #1 pick n the draft this year then. The next motto will be ” fear the queer”

18. WKYblue
    2:29 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Ray Harper n lil WKU showed big KU how good they are tonite. KU, IU and UL all disappear after this year. See you all in about 4 years. The 1 n done works really well if u can get the 5 stars but we are the only program they seem to want to attend. Sucks to be you. Lmao. Way ahead on the next class too. Kids decommitting to come to UK. Lay down in mommas bed n cry now u lil bitch.

19. Patrick Sparks' Undershirt
    4:34 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

WKU is the only team to wear red I like (NCAA-wise.) Hell, I used to be red before Patrick moved to Lexington.

20. Steady
    5:18 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

I saw one of the experts pick Georgetown to win it all….some people never learn.

21. tdogg40330
    6:12 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

17) lol, NICE !!!!

22. Feel sorry
    7:32 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Feel sorry for Shabazz, he looks like the loss to Tubby took a year off his life.

23. BLueswade
    8:18 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

22….took me a minute, but that was funny.

24. Cardsandcats fan
    8:24 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Just want to say that I have enjoyed reading your NCAA coverage. Nice job and appreciate the humorous insights.

25. NotSatire
    8:27 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

What’s up with the nose? Coach in a fight?

26. Nofuzzyshoes??
    8:28 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Hilltopper mascot is cool, but needs some improvement with the shoes.
    How ’bout some big fuzzy shoes that match the rest of costume…..
    An aside….if this is all I have to be concerned about I guess I’m doing pretty well.

27. CATandMONKEY
    8:38 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

22:
    Sweet.

28. RealCatsFan
    8:48 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

If Nerlens had not been injured I would venture that they would be talking about his shot blocking ability over Withey. Nerlens was just starting to come into his own when he got hurt. Not likely that he would have broken A.D.’s record though, because even with him it was not likely that UK would be playing as many games as last year’s team. Come back and join up with the boyz and make history next year, Nerlens! 🙂

29. Big Bear
    8:53 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Honestly, WKU put up a better performance against Kansas then we (UK) could have. Hats off to the Toppers. Looking forward to next year.

30. keNITucky
    8:56 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

What I meant was, why should our classless fan base care about any other team in the state? However, if we were indifferent to UK, we would not come to this site and post. We were, are, and always will be, Little Brother…

31. DT in DC
    9:14 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

In completely non related news, Jared Lorenzen signs with Owensboro’s football team. Related, who knew Owensboro had a football team?

32. Rae
    9:15 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

10. I did some sniffing around, and one of their message boards mentioned Pitino.

33. J.R.
    9:19 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Ray Harper has always been the real deal as a coach, he has 4 national titles in D-2 under his belt and his Kentucky Weslyan teams and Bruce pearls Southern Indiana Teams use to be ranked 1-2 in D-2 in the late 90s and Harper Out coached Pearl every time they met. People in Owensboro always said that Harper could easily win at the D-1 level and this being his first full season at Western has proven that his a force to be reckoned with. Don’t forget the name Ray Harper

34. Jerk
    9:24 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

#15you should be glad that it wasn’t loserville that played wku last night, or you tards would be on the bus headed home cryin with you little tards tail between you legs. Because you all suck even worse than kanas, if it were possible. Typical tards fan, but you need to remember that three game losing streak in the middle of the season, championship teams don’t do that, example UK. you only get one and Ricky p always chokes, so that’s what you guys have to look forward to as soon as you face a real team. You will never win a championship with those losers Payton and russ. So enjoy your one game tourney win loserville.

35. Cotton Mash
    9:25 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

I know Jamie Dixon is rumored to USC (parents live in SoCal) but wouldn’t he rather take UCLA than USC? Assuming if UCLA would want to go the Pitt route again. Then why not “O” to Pitt?

36. Eric K
    9:37 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

What are all the loserville fans/trash, going to do when ucla comes after Mr. 15 seconds……? #35 didn’t Jamie Dixon work for Howland at Pitt? ucla won’t be going that route. GO CATS!!

37. Big Blue
    9:39 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

#33 is absolutley right. Ray coached circles around Pearl. Ray’s team had a lot of injuries this year but came up at the end. They are young. I like Rostov, Fant and Price. A couple more parts and WKU will be off to the races. Go Topps!!

38. Good Grief
    9:59 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Good Grief. WKU lost.

39. jagoff
    10:19 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Man, what’s wrong with transition lenses?

40. UKBlue
    11:11 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

I’m a WKU alum, and I’ve rooted for them until last year. After Kentucky beat them last year, Ray Harper made nice little Jerky comments about UK, particularly our shooting. I think he’s a jackass, and I’m glad he lost.

41. Sgt Jimmy
    11:28 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Hendrix is the real deal. Saw him on film several times this year. Both a run stopper and linebacker who covers sideline to sideline. Also on Clint Hurt situation, don’t start being giddy because of those problems. That usually comes back to haunt Kentucky.

42. Rixter
    11:43 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Ray Harper needs to cut WAY back on the sauce. He’s got a Rick Pitino nose!

43. Fun Facts
    11:47 am March 23, 2013 Permalink

Davis is still making more money than Withey ever will

44. keNITucky
    2:42 pm March 23, 2013 Permalink

We fans like to point and laugh at other teams that are playing for a championship, even though we lost to Robert Morris as a #1 seed.

45. Fun Facts
    2:48 pm March 23, 2013 Permalink

Davis made $200,000 more than Withey in college.

46. SeaCat
    3:21 pm March 23, 2013 Permalink

42, that is rosacea on his nose.
    also called rhinophyma when it gets big.
    not related to alcohol consumption, we
    don’t think.