Gonzaga, the early favorite for Wiltjer?

The internet was abuzz for a few weeks in March about a potential Kyle Wiltjer transfer to Gonzaga. The talk diminished once Kyle squashed the scuttlebutt on Twitter when he said, “I just want everyone to know I AM NOT TRANSFERRING. The thought never crossed my mind. I love Coach Cal and the staff, UK, and the BBN.”

wiltjer-tweet

Fast forward to today and those rumors are prime for a resurgence after Wiltjer said publicly that he will seek other opportunities for his remaining two years of eligibility in college basketball. Gonzaga is the early favorite for his services. Here are a few reasons why KSR believes that’s the case:

— Wiltjer spent the last month traveling with Canada’s developmental team with Kevin Pangos, Gonzaga’s starting point guard. There is absolutely no way the two never talked about the potential of playing together in Spokane. It’s a conversation they probably had on more than one occasion during their travels.

— If you want to dig really deep, like, too deep, Wiltjer toyed with Big Blue Nation on Twitter back in May when he tweeted “WIGGINS” with a link to a video of Riley Wiggins, his high school friend and teammate at Jesuit in Portland. Though he didn’t mean anything by the tweet other than to give a shout out to his longtime friend, some of you will be interested to know Riley Wiggins attends Gonzaga. #Friendship

— Kyle is a family man, constantly posting pictures of his siblings and parents on Instagram and Twitter. It’s clear he misses them, as he should. A quick glance at Google maps — or your atlas, Matt — will tell you Spokane is a five hour drive away from his family, as opposed to a 5,000 mile roundtrip flight across the country.

— And most importantly, Mark Few’s offensive philosophy plays to Wiltjer’s strengths and disguises his weaknesses. Gonzaga’s flex offense relies heavily on screens and knockdown jumpers, and undersized, outmuscled post players have roamed the lane for years without anyone seeming to care. Let’s face it, Calipari’s dribble-drive offense isn’t kind to Kyle Wiltjer.

The Kyle Wiltjer rumor mill just worked its way into your summer, unexpectedly.

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for Gonzaga, the early favorite for Wiltjer?

1. lesigh
    8:22 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Good points. At least at Gonzaga, I can passively root for Kyle–and we never have to worry about his team facing us past the 2nd week of the NCAA tournament.

2. Sad
    8:45 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Really sad that Kyle transferred because now this site will milk all it can from this story. With Kyle leaving we don’t lose much to our overall talent level. However our outside shooting presence will take a hit. It hurts, not saying it doesn’t, but honestly I hate having to read about rumors. Alright, that’s my worthless two cents.

3. Blondie
    8:46 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I thought Kyle’s family moved to Lexington.

4. Trey1
    8:46 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

3…that’s what I thought

5. Drew Franklin
    8:47 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

2. — Your two cents is appreciated but I don’t know what else we’re supposed to talk about. It’s the biggest news in the middle of the summer.

6. KJ
    8:47 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Did he and Polson have a lover’s spat?

7. El Pollo Loco
    8:51 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I understand the personal reasons for Kyle looking to transfer, but not the professional reasons. Him leaving, I feel, would be him giving up on any thought of playing in the NBA. At UK he could contribute quite a but and showcase the exact qualities that could make him a professional and the role he’d play in the league.

I wish him the best an think UK will miss him more than most realize at this point, but really hope he doesn’t look back with regret.

8. rainman
    8:52 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

MISTAKE, but I wish him the best!

9. Philuk18
    8:54 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Sad to see him go, but it’s probably the best move for both parties. He got exposed last season when he had to be a featured player and wouldn’t really see much time this year anyway. I don’t think this hurts the Cats 3 point shooting too much either, the twins and James Young can still shoot it. Plus, this does free up a spot for Dante Exum should Cal continue to pursue him

10. Kev
    8:57 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

He better hope Gonzaga has a nice weight room.

11. ?
    8:59 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Why does coach cals facebook page say “I still hope he ends up back with us.” Is that possibility?

12. CATandMONKEY
    9:00 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

There once was a girl from Spokane
    Whose manner was quite profane………

13. awaiting moderation
    9:02 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Big Brother is watching.

14. JLP
    9:05 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck to Kyle. I wish he would stay, but that said, I think Gonzaga would be an excellent fit for him, both basketball-wise and personality-wise. They have some free spirits and players with personality. Best wishes if you go Kyle, but prefer the stay option.

15. JLP
    9:07 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Profane and Spokane do not rhyme by the way unless you mispronounce one or the other.

16. Roy Combs
    9:08 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Kyle to Baylor is a done deal.

17. BOSOX
    9:09 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Hopefully Kyle chances his mind! I hate to see him leave

18. man from nantuckett
    9:09 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

12. Spokane does not rhyme with profane.

19. Mr Obvious
    9:12 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

I am hearing Washington.

20. my mind
    9:27 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

he’s going to USC with the Florida golf coast coach who had all them 2nd division white kids playing like D1 players in the tournament.

21. Katdaddy
    9:32 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

9 I agree, cal gave kyle the chance to shine and he failed this past year. He had a chance to be the man and couldn’t deliver. I enjoyed watching him hit the 7 3’s in rupp with the championship team. But i don’t understand how transferring is going to help his defense and rebounding. Anyway i wish you the best kyle in whatever you do in life, And thanks for helping bring #8 back to lex.

22. Dan
    9:52 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Hate to see the young man go. That said all we can do is wish him the best if that’s what he feels is best for him. One thing I think he’s forgetting about is the scholarship for life program at UK. Basketball ends sometime regardless of who you are. But here we take care of our own. Forever.

23. Blue To The Bone..
    9:52 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

If Kyle’s final decision is to transfer, then the best of luck to him…He has been nothing but a class act here…On the other hand, why not consider redshirting next year , hit the wt room and work on his game against the best players in the country…Kyle you may get another ring or two and then after your fifth yr be ready for the league…If you are homesick and can’t see doing that , then again the best of luck from BBN..

24. seniority
    11:07 pm June 24, 2013 Permalink

Maybe one of the freshmen wanted his number and he didn’t want to give it up. I would transfer too if I had his skill and was forced to sit behind a bunch of freshmen. Best of luck Kyle! You deserve better.

25. UK22
    9:02 am June 25, 2013 Permalink

24. Maybe your just an idiot.

26. UK22