Gonzaga students take a shot at Cal

I’ve always considered Gonzaga to be pretty harmless. They’re like the hippies of college basketball…they live on the West Coast, don’t really mess with us, and have that one guy with really long, weird hair. And although they’ll likely end up with a #1 seed, I still don’t think many people think they’ll win the whole thing.

I didn’t really mind them at all until this morning, when Gonzaga fans released a “Thrift Shop” parody about their team. First of all, at least it’s not another Harlem Shake…no mas, people. It’s general west coast white people fun until the 2:30 mark, when the main “rapper” says this:

“Calipari be like ‘Oh Kentucky be hella tight,’ I’m like ‘yo, nobody likes you.'”

Sure, it’s a relatively harmless, if odd, remark, but it’s Wednesday morning and I’m feeling salty.

What do you think?

114 Comments for Gonzaga students take a shot at Cal

1. UK FAN
    10:33 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I can’t recall a time Zaga has done good in the NCAA tourney as a higher seed. Most of the damage they do is a lower seed. I say they will make it maybe to the sweet 16 and they are gone

2. Cory
    10:33 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

responds* 😉

3. UKGrad83
    10:35 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

West Coast d-bags with a Napoleon complex.

4. SexnNursinHomes
    10:35 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

ha! Good to see us affect some scrub div program 3,000 miles away.

Go ahead tell us more mr. rappalot.

5. Rupp's Ghost
    10:36 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Let them have their fun. When they get 8 National Championship banners, then we can take them seriously….oh wait, we will probably have 30 by then!!

6. Chad
    10:38 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Suck it Zags!!! They talk about us because they ain’t us!!!

7. ZAGS FOR LIFE
    10:38 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

How many Final Fours do we have? How does that compare to Butler? Did we beat Butler earlier this season? Wait, George Mason and VCU also have Final Fours since we’ve been relevant? What do we have?

8. Lunchbox
    10:40 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Corny as hell, but that was FREAKING AWESOMMMMME!!!!!!!!! Who cares about Gonzaga, they will be eliminated in the sweet 16 and the First #1 out of the tourney. Go Big Blue, We are UK!!!!!

9. Biglaw Dawgin'
    10:44 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

The Zags just went from likeable #1 seed, to the hipster douchebags that we all knew they probably were. This video confirms it. That’s pretty much exactly what I thought a bunch of Gonzaga students would look like. From their shaggy beards, to skin that hasn’t seen the light of day in 10 months, to their “smoking hot” girls in the video. I’m so ashamed, Gonzaga fans.

10. Fred
    10:44 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I want WKU as a 16 seed to get them in the first round.

11. [email protected]
    10:44 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

its true. everyone outside of the bubble of you UK fans hates UK and all of their fans. Not because they want to be you or because you have 8 championships, but because you are all a bunch of pretentious douche bags

12. SexnNursinHomes
    10:46 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

11- hahaha good one!! made me laugh man!!! Don’t choke from all the penis that will be shoved down your throat today for lunch. Cheers!!!

13. Expect To Win and Know How To Act When You Do
    10:46 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Enjoy it, gonzaga. Nice trophy case…it’s LOADED AND AWESOME! Almost as empty as I’m feeling for that “rapper.” Again, it’s like someone painting their house [insert poor color choice here]: Someone had to like his/her color choice and someone most likely agreed for moral support. This guy had to love his creation enough to put it out there, and some other d-bag had to agree “Yeah, this is ROCKIN!” Wow.

14. Pamola
    10:47 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

They put us in their video because they’re jealous of our program. If they weren’t they wouldn’t acknowledge us. GO CATS!!!!!!!!

15. Dave
    10:48 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I am pretty sure that they insulted Big Ten “pansies” as well. I think it is fair to say that IU, Mich St, Michigan would crush them. Didn’t Illinois beat them?
    As far as who likes Calipari? Lebron James, Drake, Ashley Judd, legions of fans, and- most importantly- elite high school players. If some beardo from Gonzaga does not, that’s okay.

16. Gonfaga
    10:48 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

11 – the only thing weaker than that comment is Gonfaga’s in conference schedule.

17. UKIT
    10:51 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Ok, I NOW hope the ncaa makes us a 16 seed. PLEASE put us against the zags, please! How great would that be to be the first 16 to knock off a 1, and that 1 to be these knuckleheads. I guarantee the zags coaches and players wouldn’t think the comment about Cal was too funny, if they knew they were playing us next.

18. beanie weanies for breakfast
    10:53 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

What do I think? …..I’m thinking about Mrs. Tyler feeling SALTY! LOL Who cares, just college kids having fun.

19. Eastcoast
    10:53 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

When was the last time the zags won a championship? Final four? I’m confused.

20. bloobloodcat
    10:53 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

The correct, we’re basketball royalty you’re not, response is: how many Final Fours have you been to again? OK, thanks….let’s run along now.

21. My question is
    10:54 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Why on earth would or did anyone watch that long enough to get to the part about Cal or Kentucky….

22. MikeY
    10:54 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

You’re not doing sh*t unless you have people talking about you; take it as a compliment.

23. GoCats77
    10:54 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Catchy but to paraphase Demarcus Cousins: “This ain’t no rap battle”.

24. bill
    10:55 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

We are still everyone’s superbowl and a big deal

25. B-man
    10:55 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Insult is the greatest form of flattery. Just another confirmation that even in a so-called “down” year, others still see UK as one of the Big Dogs.

26. Daddy
    10:57 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I’m putting the over under on their NCAA tournament at 2.5 wins. Over or Under?

27. BooHoo
    11:00 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

wow 11 that really hurt our feelings. oh wait, we don’t seek validation from other schools like you Tards and Loosiers. lol, it’s great to be kings!

28. Seriously
    11:01 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

What do I think? I think when I start worrying what gonzaga thinks, ill know I have issues.

29. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    11:01 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Any version of that song is uber ghey.

30. oldschool
    11:02 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Gonzaga does things the right way. I hope they win the title, and beat UK along the way to show the world that Cal can’t coach and one and done ain’t gonna do it. Zags and Few have integrity.

31. Gone in first weekend-zaga
    11:02 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

26 – 2.5 is about right. You know if they’re leading at halftime in the Sweet 16 game, then they’ll make a banner for it.

32. crazycatfan
    11:02 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I remember, not so long ago, when I thought, “Gonzaga, who?”

They are clueless.

33. Walden
    11:03 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

A disgrace to white people everywhere. I shaved my beard off after watching this.

34. neutral party
    11:03 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

11 Im a neutral pary here and i know a few uk fans like the one you speak but they arnt bad overall. In all my years there really is only one fanbase that i cannot stomach. And they would be IU fans, they are awful.

35. Who Dat?
    11:03 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

It’s a Big Blue world and they’re just tryin’ to live in it. We’re not even top 25 and they still talkin’ bout us!

36. Yesterdays
    11:04 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

This is kind of funny- Gonzaga has nothing to really speak of but they have become a really good, not great program. Remember when Adam Morrison started crying? Before the game was over.

I will still root for Gonzaga, love the way they play and Few is a good guy.

37. dribble drive high five
    11:05 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

This is the most aggressive thing Canada has ever done. Ever.

38. Josh Heytvelt
    11:05 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

oldschool, I sure did things the right way when I was there at Gonzaga. Win every argument with Zags “fan” by citing me.

39. Musehobo
    11:07 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

The truth is, people outside the state of Ky should hate us. I can’t stand being around people from KY who talk about how much they love the Yankees and the Cowboys. There are very few reasons for us to like those teams. Ok, maybe your uncle lived there when you were a kid, and he bought you Yankees tickets when you were 10. Who wouldn’t like that. But if your reason is “Man the Cowboys were good/cool when I was a kid”, then just go away.

So to the point, I expect these newbies to hate us. We are the Yankees of college basketball.

40. MulletCatsKennel
    11:07 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

They only added the UK bit, cause they knew they’d get a lot of views on their video….and guess what! We watched it! Oh well, Zags wont even be relevant next month.

41. cracka
    11:07 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

didn’t seem like they were making fun of thrift shops to me …

42. JohnStockton
    11:08 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Have you ever been to Spokane, Washington? It is the armpit of that state!

43. RealCatsFan
    11:09 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Haters gonna hate… That is a sure sign that you are the best, when the wanna-be’s start taking shots at you. (looking at you too, IU…)

44. Big J
    11:10 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

30. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

45. CatGrad7072
    11:11 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Tried to watch the video and followed the Pitino model; I lasted less than 15 seconds.

46. KatsForever
    11:11 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

They’ll be making a celebration video when they reach the field of 32 again. Then reality will set in…

47. cute
    11:13 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

How adorable! I remember the first time we were ranked #1…. well.. no, actually I dont.

48. wildcat
    11:14 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

lol video is mad crazy i love it.

49. jaws2
    11:14 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Say what you want, but at least their students section does SOMETHING at their games. Our student sections is pretty frikin weak compared to most decent programs around the country.

50. TooTall
    11:14 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

39 I am a UK and Cowboy fan. Not so much Yankees bc baseball is boring and sucks. I love the Cowboys bc their games were always on tv and I grew up watching them. They had great players back in the day, so yeah, I guess it’s kind of bc they were “cool when I was a kid”. Come on, give us Cowboy fans a break…they have sucked for a long time now and I still love them. I’m not going to be fair weather and stop liking them just bc Jerry Jones is a d-bag and Romo is Blowmo.

51. SeaCat
    11:15 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Zags are not on the west coast.
    Five hours from it. Spokane WA

52. Rae
    11:16 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Gonzaga needs to earn respect. Their in-conference sucks, so they need to compensate by playing really tough out of conference. Didn’t Cal do that at Memphis?

Come on Zags, join one of the really good early tournaments, maybe the Maui Invitational. Convince a good program to do a neutral site or home-and-home series with you. WVU doesn’t count and won’t for a while.

53. That's All You've Got?
    11:17 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

49 that is your defense of them? that their student section does something at games? Wow, lets not focus on winning games and championships, lets focus on who has the better student section!

54. jaws2
    11:21 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

53 for Christ sakes, I was just making a point. If I had all frikin day I could give you a litany of reasons to focus on. Jeez dude, get a job !

55. Big Daddy
    11:22 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Haters gonna hate…

56. Ed has Tickets
    11:22 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I wouldn’t take the girls in that video to a beagle hound fight.

57. East Coast Bias
    11:23 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Gonzaga — what’s that? Is that in Canada?

58. twnky
    11:25 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Lions need not concern themselves with the opinions of lambs

59. BlueRedNeck
    11:27 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I always thought gonzaga was a type of cheese…

60. im thinking
    11:29 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

that you use the word “salty” way 2 much.

61. Chris
    11:29 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Other school’s students only do this kind of crap in order to either get a rise out of BBN, get more hits for their videos, or both.

This video has been watched probably 5,000-10,000+ more times than it would have normally been just because it was linked on KSR.

62. Bluebloodtoo
    11:37 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

To the ‘Zags: I know it’s going to be hard for you, but try to act like you have been there before (even though you really haven’t). The very first time you have a #1 ranking in the history of the school you immediately attack one of the top 5 schools of all time. This is not a good way to start your reign.

63. Chicago Chris
    11:37 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

That’s cute that they’ve already had their conference tourny.

64. the yo
    11:43 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

this post, like all your others, sucks. go away.

65. Lol...Settle Down...Touchy!
    11:44 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

54 I have a job. And if you live in KY, you’re paying my salary as I type. I love being a state worker and being able to read KSR all day! My point was that your point was really weak.

66. Chicago Chris
    11:45 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

You don’t get to be one of the most valuable teams in CB (with merchandise sales) by being disliked.

67. Chicago Chris
    11:46 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

#65 So you’re boasting about being a lazy government employee?

68. Yo Yo
    11:47 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

64 how bout you go away instead?

69. Lol...Settle Down...Touchy!
    11:47 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

68 absolutely! you’re here on this site too, so does that mean you’re lazy?

70. KYBoyNAL
    11:50 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

It is what you say when “you’ve never been there before” and you don’t know how to act. It is what we get when were everybody’s Super Bowl.

71. Lol...Settle Down...Touchy!
    11:50 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

oh my comment at 69 was meant for 67. typical gov’t employee, always making mistakes!

72. IHEARTHATERS
    11:52 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Keep on hatin Haters! Come play with the big boys!You all played 3 top 25 teams this year and your record is 1-3 keep talking smack!

73. limited-edition holographic flat-top
    11:52 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

We are always just too darn relevant for anyone to pass up a chance to swing at us. #WeAreUK

74. What Banners?
    11:58 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

They literally had a NIT 2nd round banner hanging up. LMAO They had all kinds of banners

75. [email protected]
    11:58 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

28 – Agree wholeheartedly. I couldn’t care less.

76. Bubba Earl
    12:00 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Woodstock Grandbabies!

77. Delk for 3
    12:01 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Since when is Drew Franklin a Gonzaga fan? He makes an appearance a little bit after the Calipari reference.

78. Jeff
    12:02 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

51…you’re on the west coast…no one cares what you say

79. fish on
    12:04 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I don’t even know wth that line means

80. TANK
    12:14 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I love how he hates on UK but throws up 3 goggles early in the video. Pretty sure thats us.

81. Duff McSquizzy
    12:17 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Stick to hack sac, patchouli, and unshaven women…

82. TANK
    12:20 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Also I’m glad they break the fire code that shows real fan support. Wish we were that crazy.

83. KentuckyBasketball
    12:21 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Is a ‘Gonzaga’ one of those things we step on when we hang our banners?

84. bluristhurr
    12:22 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

When you have haters all the way on the west coast that means we’re doing something right

85. Ain't Sure
    12:33 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Gonzaga.That sounds like the bowel disorder a friend of mine had.Maybe the rapper should be checked

86. S
    12:33 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

hahaha what an odd thing for a mid-major program with limited tournament success to do. I’d still rather they win it all than Louisville, Indiana, or Duke.

87. Laker Cat 18
    12:37 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Let’s give Gonzaga a round of applause for housing quite possibly the ugliest people on earth.

88. Nel
    12:51 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

They are mad at Cal because Terrence Jones decided he didn’t want to go to Washington and came to UK. It’s that 270 dreary days per year that’s really getting them down.

89. Kybluegirly
    12:55 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

John Wall Dance sighting at the 2:05 mark. I repeat, a John Wall Dance sighting at the 2:05 mark. GBB

90. thenamerobdigity
    1:01 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Gonzaga has never made it to the final four.

91. Hazard Kidd-Katt
    1:16 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Heavy hangs the Crown … But it hangs here at UK.

92. wtf
    1:25 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I love that there are more Gonzaga fans commenting on this blog than I even knew existed. I’ll never go to a Gonzaga website…because I couldn’t care less about their lackluster tournament performing school.

93. JC
    1:26 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Actually think it is pretty good…they have a good squad and they should enjoy it. As far as the Cal reference….as Archie says…if they “aint hatin you aint doin nothin”…

94. J Dub
    1:27 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

The chubby kid looks like Drew!

95. If the Z-bags make it out of the first weekend I’ll be surprised

96. Al's IndiCats
    1:32 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Seriously? Wow in that tough conference that has SDSU, St.Marys, Little Sisters of the poor, and their Diaper dandies really wear Diapers. Good grief go to your Local Starbucks and buy the ugliest chick a coffee, what? wait…..damn they’re all ugly

97. PoorCollegeKid
    1:33 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I think the funniest part of this video is that they have hung banners for a first and second round appearance in the NIT. It’s cute, really.

98. jryan
    1:52 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

i hope the committee sees this and puts us in their bracket

99. YouPeopleAreHumorless
    1:56 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Develop broader shoulders and thicker skin. Learn how to take a joke or a jab. You guys make being a Kentucky fan miserable sometimes.

100. Linkous
    1:59 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Just talked to Joe Lunardi and he said they just dropped to First Four Out.

101. AP
    2:39 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I’m not sold 11 fully understands the definition of “pretentious”

102. Chairman Rowe
    2:46 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I live in Olympia and I’m pretty sure that most of that state of WA cares more about the return of the Kings/Sonics to Seattle than Gonzaga. Don’t know about Spokane, but as someone else already noted: that town sucks anyways. On a completely unrelated note, I always bring up Terrence Jones in conversation with UW fans.

103. Ballgame
    3:09 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I guess Macklemore was too busy to do this video for Gonzaga.

104. HackRichards
    4:49 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I speak English…well Hillbilly English…I do not understand Rap at all so it does not bother me…

105. BigBlueFan
    5:07 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Wait what did they say… sorry I wasn’t paying attention I was just looking at our 8 banners

106. The girls look like Bulldogs
    5:16 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Gonzaga be like “We have hot girls”. I’m like “No you don’t”

107. Kim
    5:29 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I remember the 1st year they got in the NCAA tourney and I was like “who. ”
    I’ve rooted for them bc they were underdogs but you have to admit they are kinda legit now! Let em’ have their fun, they’ve earned it.
    BBN if you dish it out you gotta take it too! Big Blue Forever!!!!

108. Say What?
    5:52 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

People talk about us a lot for not liking us. Thats OK, with our 3 million plus BBNers we don’t give squat about what you think anyway. As a mater of fact we are glad to let you use our distinguished name in your vidio to gie it a little street cred. You may not like us but you fear us and you know that the basketball world revolves around Lexingtn Kentucky. By the way, were the heck is Ganzaga? I am sure all twelve of your fans know.

109. tuxedo park
    6:41 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

gonzaga sucks about as much as macklemore.

110. BBNFAN
    9:31 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Gonzaga doesn’t deserve a number one seed. Who have they played? Oh, and go ahead and hate on the man who brought his team to a national championship last year. Zags gotta lot of stuff to catch up on before making parodies.

111. Thundercat
    11:12 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

I was really looking forward to gonzaga winning it all this year, just so duke, unc, Kansas, etc wouldn’t add to there collection of trophies… But the zags are making it hard for me to root for them.

112. catdaddyd
    11:59 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

They are just talking about UK not being a contender this year, if you watch they are talking about the contenders. No big deal.

113. LITTLED
    12:33 am March 14, 2013 Permalink

Gonzaga………has to be the biggest choke team ever!!! No matter the preseason hype they have always choked in the tourney. No worries!!

114. tuxedo park
    7:23 am March 14, 2013 Permalink

Mark Few should change his name to Mark None.