Go Vote For The eRUPPtion Zone

80 college basketball student sections have been nominated by the Atlanta Tipoff Club for the Naismith Student Section of the Year Award. The winning student section will rack in a cool $5,000 for its athletic association. Thanks to a little help from Bearded Guy and his friends, Kentucky is one of the nominees.

Visit the ILoveCollegeHoops Facebook page to vote. The winner will be determined by two rounds of fan voting, combined with the scoring of the finalists by the Naismith Awards Board of Selectors. The scoring will be based on the creativity of the student section’s name, crowd attendance, photos, videos and a write-up submitted by the school.

Go vote now.

Oh, and today is Bearded Guy’s birthday. I think he’s like 42.

Happy Birthday, Bearded Guy.

Article written by Drew Franklin

31 Comments for Go Vote For The eRUPPtion Zone

1. Honestly
    10:41 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

To be honest, I think the eRupption zone is pretty dull to most schools student section..

The bearded guy really needs to shave, is he a student or just an adult hanging on ?

You never see huge cardboard face cutouts like you do at other schools…

Never any really good chants going on ….

2. UKNation
    10:46 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

Our student section does have a cool name but lacks originality and traditions. Many of the other schools do cool things but ours doesn’t. Someone needs to step up and create some things to do to set the Erruption Zone apart.

3. Me
    10:47 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

Dear Bearded Guy,

You have been in college for 18 years now. It is time for you to move out of the basement and finally graduate from college. Dating a girl would be nice too, we’ll even pay for the dating service.

Love,
    Bearded Guys’ Mom and Dad

4. Me
    10:56 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

Not sure what we expect from a UK student section. Especially with it being in the end zone (for the most part). I for one sure don’t want our student section to turn into Cameron Indoor West. If our students acted the way the Dukies do, I would be very embarrased. I’m all for being loud (and a little silly from time to time), but most of Duke’s activities are ridiculous. Almost as bad as putting an empty chicken bucket on your head and painting a beak with teeth on your face. Kinda liked how Auburn’s student section was laid out – UK could do the bottom 10 rows all the way around the floor. Then the first row of paying customers would be elevated enough so those blue hairs could sit and still see over the tops of the standing students heads.

5. DC
    10:58 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

Bearded guy went to my high school and he is younger than me. I am 25 haha. That beard is impressively awful.

6. UKFanInCincy
    11:00 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

I have to agree with #1. I really think our student section is not very good. I also always wondered why the visiting team doesnt play towards our student section in the second half? It really is silly that they dont.

7. fred
    11:01 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

I like the idea of 10 student rows all the way around the floor at the bottom of the arena – then 20 or so rows behind each basket. Rupp rocks when a big name comes in but even then it’s almost embarrassing to watch the blue hairs sit and rattle their jewelry…

8. bleedblueky
    11:06 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

Could anyone let me know how the Beard Guy and the Referee Guy had split that $10,000? Thanks! 🙂

9. shimsky
    11:08 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

Blue hairs…lol

10. yeah first!!
    11:09 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

between the blue hairs and people who leave early…uumm yep… perfect for a great atmosphere…..

11. Blue Hairs
    11:14 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

Blue Hairs donate big money, you won’t get them out of the first ten rows like you mention…
    What does the endzone vs sideline make a difference ? Other schools show their students on the ends as well.. The schools where they are on the side are very small gyms usually. Illinois comes to mind.

12. Me
    11:23 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

#11 – Did you really ask “what does the endzone vs sideline make a difference?” Uhhhh, lets ‘test’ out putting the students in the bottom 10 rows ON THE SIDES and move the oldies to the endzone. I bet the atmosphere is completely different. Don’t worry, I’m sure they could put some seats int he eRUPPtion Zone for yalls old azzes.

Hell, lets put in giant tv’s like at Dallas Stadium – that way we could put the blue hairs (money folks) in the top 5 rows around the top – they’d never know the difference…

13. FYI
    11:40 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

FYI.. I’m not a blue hair….. But when I donate $15k per year for my seats, I’ll sit on the sides, not the endzones… And yes, I asked the difference… If students can’t get loud enough to disrupt a free throw, what the hell makes you think they will on the sides ?????

14. juicedog1
    11:44 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

Why does the athletic association get $5k? $5k is like a dime to them. Why not give all of the student fans something?

Also, why don’t they have the Erupption Zone be on both ends? That would make it a hell of a lot more intimidating….

15. #Rise
    11:49 am January 13, 2012 Permalink

Hate to say it but I think Duke wins this one. They got all sides of their gym covered in students that are constantly chanting and screaming. We got one side of students who give a 70% effort.

16. My Two Cents
    12:12 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

Bearded Guy is Wes Henderson… FYI.

17. Me
    12:20 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

#11 & #13 – So you admit that people get more out of the experience by sitting on the sides? And congrats on being able to drop that 15k, you must feel rich. So tell the truth, would it really hurt you or any of the other richies to sit up 10 rows higher – and still be on the side. Look, I know the value of being able to tell people you sit in “row 5” is worth way more than the tickets actually cost you. I understand. Hell, we can let you keep your row number, we’ll just call the student rows, “-J – -A rows.”

18. UKFaniac
    12:29 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

The Bearded guy is awesome! He played imaginary rope during the Big Blue Madness campout and the cops stopped him haha.

19. Poco Chang
    12:31 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

So they are going to count the votes, then the Board of Selectors will choose whoever they want as the winner. Bet it won’t be UK.

Sounds fair. That’s the way they do it in Cuba.

20. Moe
    12:39 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

I call bluff on #13

21. The Cheese
    12:52 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

Let’s face it, the entire lower arena sucks. I can’t get on board for this one.

22. Space between John Hoods jersey and chest
    12:56 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

I heard there is a bird in the bearded guys beard. non-cardinal bird…

23. Andrew Lageman
    1:00 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

I want to see someone come up with a series of posters that has some phrase or picture on it that the whole eruption zone holds up when the other team is shooting free throws. Think of the halvoline commercials or like the Chinese did at the last Olympic opening ceremonies. It would take one person to organize but it would be awesome on tv.

24. STEVE!
    1:04 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

What happened to Bearded Guy’s sidekick – Afro Guy?

25. lionelrichie
    1:16 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

OUR STUDENT SECTION IS LAME, for our program to have such a lame student section is stupid, auburn has a better student section

26. carlos toomer
    1:29 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

The eRupption zone is weak, right down to the nike parachute the athletics department gives them to hold over themselves. What’s funny is that when they are announced at the end of the player introduction, they scream and the rest of the arena gets quiet and stares at the confetti and the pre-game build up is ruined.

27. uk-fan_1
    1:31 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

Happy Birthday Bearded Guy!!

28. knightynight
    1:38 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

point. blank. period. our. student. section. blows.

point blank perio. – it is mostly the school’s fault. when you stuff the majority of the students in the upper corner in an arena as big as Rupp, there’s not going to be much to talk about.

for some reason this really pisses me off haha.

29. 44 Stitches
    3:36 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

Bearded Guy rules!

30. Deb Henderson
    5:09 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

Happy Birthday Bearded Guy!!!! Oh yeah, I mean, Happy Birthday Son!!!!!!! And no, he’s not like 42!!

31. Lovely
    9:26 pm January 13, 2012 Permalink

Well, considering most of the students are in the nosebleed section, of course our student section is crap.