Glasgow, Kentucky’s Tuesday News and Views

The KSR State Tour starts today as we begin our trek in Glasgow, Kentucky, doing the show at the Glasgow Country Club. If you are a Kentucky fan (and one would assume you are), then you probably best know Glasgow as the home of Kentucky’s mustache coiffed former point guard Brandon Stockton. But unbeknownst to many of you, Glasgow, Kentucky is full of interesting tidbits and notable features. For instance, did you know that the city’s official website posts a daily picture of one of its citizens, often doing things like the group above (in this case enjoying Shark Week). The pictures are worth looking through as you get a notion of what life is like in a small town and what pictures people are surprisingly willing to allow to go public. You probably also didn’t know that Glasgow has many famous former residents, ranging from a majority of the Kentucky Headhunters to Diane Sawyer to Luska Twyman, the first black mayor in the state of Kentucky. Glasgow has a population of just over 14,000 and in 2007 won the award for “Best Place to Live” from Progressive Farmer magazine, a publication that is delivered weekly to the KSR offices. Deriving from its namesake, Glasgow is also home to the Glasgow Highland Games, a yearly celebration in which people dress up like this guy:

All in all, Glasgow is a great place to live, with a fine golf course that I have been known to score well on and a great Assistant County Attorney named Gabe Pendleton. If you have never visited there, that is ok. There is still time. But until you get around to moseying own down to Barren County, you can spend your time listening to the show tomorrow morning. Ryan Lemond may even wear a kilt.

With little in the way of news, here are eight thoughts on the stories in the KSR world this fine Monday:

UL 13 point favorite over UK: It had been assumed all summer that Louisville would be a big favorite over the Cats, but today’s 13 point spread released by Vegas suggests that Kentucky is getting little respect or belief going into September 2’s game. The spread is probably close to correct, but I think it downplays just how many potential variables exist going into this game. I am trying not to be a homer, but I do think Kentucky has a puncher’s chance in Papa John’s. I do not believe Louisville is nearly as good as many of their ridiculous fans seem to suggest, as losses to Florida International, Marshall and a beatdown in the Bowl game by NC State suggest. Plus, Kentucky will be healthy, has lots of hungry young skill position players and is stewing in a summer of disrespect. Louisville is, and should be, the favorite. But the idea that Kentucky has no chance is faulty and I continue to have a sneaky suspicion that something crazy could happen on that opening game.

Football Positivity: If you missed the radio show the last two days (shame on you), you missed the sweet 80 year old Joanne, who called and was adamant that I had not shown nearly enough positivity about UK football and that needed to change. So I opened up the phones to positive calls and found that yes, there is a segment of UK fans who feel optimistically about this year’s team. As we go into the season, I think concerns about the status of the program should fade. We are what we are at this point and nothing will change between now and kickoff. So why not have good vibes and get rid of the constant air of negativity that seems to surround any discussion about the UK football team? Joanne helped me start it on radio, and I hope the fans can try to move in that direction as well…even if fewer of them do attend the games.

Calipari Brilliant Again: I can’t say enough how smart I think Calipari’s “suggestion” about the rotating five game schedule was today. It likely has zero chance of happening, but the 4 teams that Calipari mentioned joining Kentucky are ALL teams that UK played last year. And they are ALL teams that then left the UK game to play much easier schedules the rest of the year. Calipari’s point is subtle, yet brilliant. Schools expect Kentucky to schedule them so they get the benefit (the publicity of playing Kentucky), but then refuse to play equal games to Kentucky in the rest of their nonconference. Calipari has made that point and when the coaches are asked their response to his suggestion, their inability to agree to a tough schedule will showcase.

Billboard Falls Down: The UL billboard making fun of Lexington was damaged in a storm. Some UL fans still believe that a UK fan had something to do with it. While their conspiracy theories may never be debunked, I do find it hilarious just how important this silly billboard has become to a small group of UL fans online. It is almost as if putting that meaningless symbol up off to the side of an exit in Frankfort somehow exhibits moral or fan superiority. I honestly don’t get it, but it does fit a continued pattern for our friends in Red. They cannot win on the court…so all that is left is to distract. It looks like after today’s news, Mother Nature is as tired of it as we are.

Louisville Mayor Supports NBA Team: I could go on about this for days, but suffice to say that I was very pleased to hear that Louisville Mayor Greg Fisher is going all out to try and get an NBA team to the city. He noted that UL has priority over the Yum Center “for now”, a comment that suggests it could change if necessary. Of all the things that Pitino/Jurich have done in the city, none have made me more frustrated than their decision to use their roles as community leaders to try and shun what would be an absolute godsend for the state of Kentucky. An NBA team would have an economic and social impact on this state that could, depending on the team, truly be remarkable. To fight that, solely to hold some mythic spot as the most important sports figures in the city, is irresponsible and worthy of much more criticism than it ever receives.

Christian Laettner: Is it ok that I have grown to like him a bit? I mean I will never forgive him for hitting that shot in 1992 and generally being a jerk in those days. But after doing the Legends/Villains game last year, the radio interview with me and now the picture with Anthony Davis, he genuinely seems like a good sport and a likable guy. Is it ok that he is winning me over? And the same thing for Bruce Pearl…he will be on ESPN next year and I bet he is REALLY good at it. It pains me to think that Laettner/Pearl may end up being two guys I genuinely root for…what world is this?

The Drake Ring: The story of Calipari giving Drake a NCAA Championship ring has made its way all around the internet and even onto Around the Horn on ESPN. Most people think it is either (a) silly or are (b) outraged that it implies UK must be cheating. Even some UK fans are upset and take the “Who is Drake and why does he deserve one of these?” Settle down. The whole point of what Calipari does is to make UK THE cool program in all of college basketball. And in three short years, we have gone from the least cool place on Earth, where our coach put players in bathroom stalls, to a place that gives top rappers/singers Championship rings. Who cares if Drake “earned” it or is “part of the program?” He didn’t and he isn’t. But guess what did happen…Calipari and UK basketball were talked about everywhere and connected to one of the most important music artists in all the land. Cal gets it, even if you don’t.

We get started tomorrow in Glasgow, Wednesday in Morgantown and Thursday in Bowling Green. I can’t wait to travel the state and more importantly, eat at its random small town restaurants…

Article written by Matt Jones

66 Comments for Glasgow, Kentucky’s Tuesday News and Views

1. gog8ors
    10:54 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

I bet World Wide Wes has a UK NCAA Championship ring too.

2. GoCats2010
    10:59 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

L2C8

3. macon_volfan
    11:04 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

what do you mean, ‘you may end up rooting for Bruce?” You already do…

4. GoCats2010
    11:05 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Tennessee has given us 2 entertaining things ever…Bruce Shirtless and Macon’s abs

5. cabethy
    11:12 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Cal definitely DOES get it and although I think Drake ruined a perfectly good Rihanna song, I’m cool with Cal getting him a ring and getting some publicity for the Cats. I look forward to hearing Bruce! Also very excited about the news of Digger taking a lesser role (about time!). What will we do when Cal leaves??!! Nobody gets it like he does.

6. macon_volfan
    11:13 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Dolly Parton’s boobs are pretty entertaining. And Elvis. But mostly Bruce Pearl and my belly. You’re right.

7. jpgott2
    11:14 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

As a young working professional within the advertising industry, I loved it when I heard about Drake getting the Championship ring. Cal is creating a brand that can not be competed with! UK is everywhere, and recruits see it and HEAR it.

8. E Cat
    11:15 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

NBA team would be good for Louisville and the state, but would be bad for UofL athletics. No doubt many corps who sponsor UofL currently would rather sponsor an NBA team and get international exposure. To boot, Rick would retire before an NBA team came to town and stole his spotlight.

9. atlantacat
    11:16 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Drake is one of the most important music artists in the land? First, what he does is not music, at least nothing to resemble what I grew up with and know.
    Maybe it would help if I were under 25 and had no real concept of what a singer is supposed to be, which surely seems to be the norm.

10. SoCal Will
    11:20 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Can we expect a Marc Maggard tour to Middlesboro shortly?

11. UKBlue
    11:28 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

If UK gave Cal an extra Million a year, think he could do the marketing for UK football !

I can only imagine how cool the next Drake concert will be at Rupp flashing that big ring on the stage.

NBA team in Louisville, never going to happen. The city needs to stop day dreaming of an NBA team coming to Louisville to save the day, and figure out a realistic way to pay off the Yum Center before they have to inevitably file bankruptcy. This financial disaster could totally undermine renovating/getting a new Rupp.

12. kycatman
    11:34 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Matt, while in Columbia, make it a point to eat at Betty’s OK Country Kitchen. I realize you all are at the local Burger King but “listen to me” check Betty’s out before leaving town, you won’t regret it I promise!!! And by the way, I could care less who Coach Cal gives a Championship ring to as long as it lifts our GR8T Team up a little further. GO CATS!!!!!!!! GO CAL!!!!!!!!

13. JB
    11:42 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

#9 I am no Drake fan, but I am deeply interested in music and work within the industry. There is no question that he is one of the most important artists in the land. He has 2 platinum albums, several top 40 hits, one of the largest tours of 2011 (and into early 2012), and he is featured on many television shows as well as other outlets. He is everywhere. We can argue all day about his “merit” or his “talent,” but we can’t argue about his popularity. Nobody should be upset by this, it was a very smart move. If you still disagree with that, then just assume that the music world has passed you by and just give up arguing about it because you won’t understand.

14. joester
    11:55 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Glasgow is a decent place to live as long as you can stay out of the line of the crooked politicians and big wheels that run it. Take a look at some of the political scandals in the last few years in Glasgow. There is also two big scandals right now, one with the sheriff/deputies (who might get time) and the other with the jail/jailer. Second jailer in a row that has been in trouble. Lots and lots of them and those are just the ones that didn’t get swept under the rug or the ones that judges and courts couldn’t swat down before it went to the state government. I would put my money on Glasgow being the most crooked little town in the state.

15. gametime
    11:56 pm July 30, 2012 Permalink

Uk vs uofl on espn u @ 12am. Enjoy the memories.

16. UK Freshmen
    12:06 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Oh, you’re a HOMER alright. Big time Homer.

17. Mr. Drysdale
    12:07 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Gabe Pendleton is the man, no doubt. Best putter at the Glasgow Country Club. You need to figure out a way to change from burger king for the columbia show. That’s about the worst place you could be, outside of town, and no local flavor. Surely, Gabe can set you up with something better. He’s one of Adair County’s most famous alumni.

18. travyork
    12:10 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Even Louisville fans admit God is a UK fan. Since the billboard was torn Down by an act of God

19. travyork
    12:10 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

The billboard was torn down by a UK fan… God

20. BPsycho
    12:16 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#13 He really is everywhere in the music game. On Pandora you can be listening to friggin country music and the next thing you hear, “I’m the ****** man, yall don’t get it, do ya?”

21. AminuTimberlake
    12:21 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Number one, Kentucky isn’t a state, Matt Jones; it’s a commonwealth. Second, you aren’t travelling it; you’re travelling half of it. Third, isn’t it enough that no one cares about what a “writer” like Chris Thomas thinks about anything, that you have to start REPEATING OVER AND OVER AGAIN that you’re starting to like Christian Laettner? I don’t understand how a glib personality pulling glib stunts translates to likeable; unless, of course, you are yourself glib. Simply put, I now consistently find myself reading the headlines and looking at the pictures.

22. Jason
    12:22 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Maggard is from Glasgow,I bet he’ll be front row at the remote.

23. BPsycho
    12:26 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#5 ” perfectly good Rihanna song ”

Speaking of Rhi Rhi, I hope she wakes up one day.

Derp ima thug, I get the crap beat out of me by a wannabe thug, but I go back to em later cause im a thug and I live thug life duuuurrr

24. cabethy
    12:43 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#23 …does it help that at the time that I kinda liked the song, minus Drake’s part, I didn’t know the victim was gonna head back for more?

25. BPsycho
    1:09 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#24 Oh she’s an excellent musical talent for sure. I wish the best for her, and everyone else really. Except UL fans, I wish paper cuts on them!

I post that because I pretty much use KSR as if it were twitter. I’ll post whatever about anything at anytime haha

Like right now I’d usually reply to #22 and try to burn Maggard, but I’ve beaten that dead horse so much I had to get more horses and wait for them to die …

26. Drake sucks but ,,,,,
    1:12 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

To me Drake Sucks, But Cal isn’t recruiting middle aged white men with no talent. He is recruiting teenaged talented BB players most are black and like drake. So why not give him a ring. If you don’t think LeBron and Drake being close to the program helps your crazy. Cal is a master marketer and knows who he is targeting. To all the older people complaining get over it. In the grand scheme of things you don’t matter anyway.

27. Ohio K
    1:22 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Glasgow… How is James B. Null III doing down there? Hope he rots in jail.

28. dukeSux
    1:25 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

For a guy trying not to be a homer, you sound an awful lot like a homer. Also it”s real cute that you mention Louisville in 4/7 of your points. If an NBA team is a “GODSEND” for the state why doesnt Lexington try and land one…..oh wait it’s a 2nd rate town full of kids from out of town and uneducated, completely BIASED UK homers. What talented African American basketball player in their right mind, who isnt getting paid to go to school there, would want to live and work there? Oh Cal’s point was that after UK no one played a tough schedule? are you serious? that’s absurd, even a UK fan can realize that statement.

29. dukeSux
    1:30 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Uofl lost a few games in football last year = they couldnt possibly be good this year. And UK has several talented young skill position players? That is exactly what the Cards whole team is bro. You try to pass off your homeristic babble as journalism and educated opinion when truly all you are doing is trying to make yourself and your fan base feel better about themselves for being uneducated, racist, poor country folk with little or no concept as to how their own state or country operates. Uk will be trounced by UofL in football and then Joker will be fired. Good luck guys. I can honestly say Matt Jones has really pulled a tremendous trick by making a living off of all of your stupidities. He is a real Butt Jockey

30. Dave in Bangkok
    2:25 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

I positively think that Kentucky football sux!!!

31. The Whiz
    2:26 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

In regards to Christian Laettner, maybe I’m cynical, but after all of these years I still hate Tyler Thompson.

32. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    2:27 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

i have to go to kentucky christian university, whatever town that’s in, thurs and fri. i know it’s a dry county so ill bring my own beer, but is there anything to do there?

33. BPsycho
    2:43 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#32 Read the Bible and crucify sinners?

34. bill
    2:44 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#28 unfortunately for you, your butt hurtness is laughable. A. Lexington is ranked by forbes as a top ten educated town, top ten place to start a business, and top 10 place to raise a family. I’m sure you dont know what Forbes is, but you should try to read one..if you can. Btw, why would UK have to pay players? You see our players like to get exposure and go to the NBA, not get hurt then kicked off the team like they do in that town that doesnt exist. Btw, how many cards are gonna get tazed or rob convienient stores or assault people with hair brushes? Now, run along back down Dixie Highway or Portland.

35. BPsycho
    2:58 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#34 And, boom goes the dynamite.

I was going to reply to him earlier, but his post are just sad “obvious hurt of teh butt” I just laughed a bit instead. And he’s soo jealous of Jones that I would bet he’s hit on him at some point and got shot down lol

Same UL troll different name. This one likes calling things “cute” Not even a decent troll. He’s all ****** up.

36. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    3:10 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Hey Matt, am I to assume that this is the closest I am going to get to the installments of County by County write ups? Been waiting on those for a few years.

Liked Pearl even when he was coaching UT (except against the Cats).

I got dibs on Blue 3 goggles with pearl necklace, SnNH will take all the others.

37. Generalize Much?
    4:49 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#29-Your post would be laughable it it wasn’t so full of the very “homerisms” you claim to despise. The ignorance and stereotypes you display render your post worthless. And your closing line ties up your stupidity and lack of class in a nice neat bow.

38. BravoBigBlue
    6:30 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

NBA team in Louisville would be a mega FAIL! Why you liberals think differently is that you have no reason when it comes to spending money, specifically other people’s money. But it doesn’t matter. It’ not gonna happen. Neither is Fischer’s desire to impose a local sales tax. What a joke!

39. No Style
    6:34 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

People who still do the three goggles probably think gold chains are still popular and Ice Ice Baby is a current hit.

40. Fact
    6:37 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Drake is not one of the top 200 rappers of all time. He would be below Biz Markie, Snow and Paul Wall. In other words, he sucks balls. Plus, he played a retarded kid on a tv show a few years back. I bet that role was easy for him to play.

41. tim clark
    6:43 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

drake ring, he great, many universities give them to donors and people that have helped the program, i aint made at him. and nba to louisville, i am tired o fhearing this, obviously some people don’t have an understanding of the monies it takes and many things needed for one to happen, it is more than having a stadium. but hey lets give old j. bruce miller 100,000 to google nba teams etc. and to imply that greg has any influence,make sme laugh even more.

42. UK Snuggie
    6:52 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#40, You need to check your facts. Drake didn’t play a retarded guy on a tv show. He played a teenager, on Degrassi, who was a basketball star at his school and was an aspiring rapper who was shot in the back during a school shooting and left paralyzed and wheelchair bound. That is pretty far from “retarded”.

43. SexnNursinHomes
    6:58 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

36-agreed. You take her and I’ll take the blonde behind her.

Too Short. Step Daddy. Straight up Mack

44. Brooksqueen
    7:06 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Soon after Diane Sawyer was born, her family moved to Louisville…graduating from Seneca High School in 1963. Tidbit—she was crowned the 1963 Junior Miss America the same evening that the Seneca won its first state b’ball championship.

45. Steven
    7:08 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

I think he should give a ring to the Arctic Monkeys

46. smoke and mirrors
    8:16 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Cal does it again. Puts up a situation that he knows will never happen with the 4 team rotation crap, then stands back and says,”I wanted it”. Didn’t want no part of indiana this year though, did you. Enjoy your banner, it will be taken away by the ncaa before the wrinkels straighten out.

47. Rick Roy
    8:22 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Those dogs looked pissed

48. the anti cat
    8:28 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

NBA team in Louisville, no thank you. A garbage league with a garbage product. Send it to lexington if they want one. 13 point spread, I’ll give the 13 and take my winnings all day long.

49. smoke and mirrors
    8:28 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

That’s right Cal, don’t give a deserving student a ring. Don’t donate one to raise money for a charity. Give one to a rapper who has no ties to UK or Lexington. I can’t wait for the house of cards to come tumbeling down. Wait, what is that??? Tumble,Tumble……….

50. Mr. Obvious
    8:41 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

I’m confused with Cal’s latest proposal. I thought he refused to play at Assembly Hall in Bloomington. Now he wants to??

51. Mr. Obvious
    8:42 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

smoke and mirrors…you’re obviously an idiot.

52. Calipartytime
    8:46 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

The UL fans are right. A UK fan did damage their “Lexington is for the Birds” Billboard. We all know God is a UK fan & he chose to have that storm do what it did….

53. bringith
    8:58 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Gabe Pendleton has been known to cheat in golf.

54. RC
    9:00 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

If we’re “only” a 13 point dog to our biggest rival- and it’s considered a good thing- then UK football has it the absolute depths. Ye Gads!

55. bbn_now
    9:00 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

you know— evey member of BBN deserves a ring before this guy Drake. we have been with them forever, Drake just jumped on the bandwagon late. just sayin’

56. Hypocrite
    9:12 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Funny how the billboard is “deflecting,” yet “Louisville Doesn’t Exist” was the coolest thing ever. Use double standards much, Matt?

57. knowthestate
    9:16 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

hey KSR… you are not going to see the State… there is a lot more of KENTUCKY west of Madisonville… come on down to the Lakes area.
    KSR has a lot of fans down here but u guys continue to ignore the west.

58. FlashOfBlue
    9:23 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#BillboardDoesNotExist

59. coalcat1
    9:28 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Giving Drake the ring does nothing but help the UK program gain exposure.

60. HeyIdiot
    9:34 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

aw “Hypocrite” sounds a little butt hurt. “Louisville doesn’t exist” was a joke about the basketball rivalry…because as the record shows, it is extremely lopsided towards us. “Lexington is for the birds” is some lame attempt at a comeback and it was a miserable fail. Was it about the school (UK) or about the city of Lexington? It’s so stupid, it’s classic little bro trying to get back at big bro.

61. smoke and mirrors
    9:44 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Can you explain how Drake deserves a ring #51, probably not. Dumbass

62. bbn_now
    9:54 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

#59 imho. we do not need the exposure that Drake will give UK BB. we are bigger than that thug. thugs begat thugs. don’t need ’em.

63. Swoony
    10:25 am July 31, 2012 Permalink

Follow the Bring the NBA to Louisville page on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/#!/nba2lou Voice your opinion on the topic and share with your friends. Grass roots noise will get attention.

64. Louisville
    12:00 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

What bowl did ky go to? Lmao and Louisville apparently exist on this site.

65. HeyIdiot
    12:48 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

I forgot to mention that, speaking of butt hurt, mine is quite sore from last night. #ImGay

66. kybigblue
    2:06 pm July 31, 2012 Permalink

Can’t like Christian Laettner but it isn’t so much the fact that he hit the big shot but the fact he stomped on Timberlake. Not an act to make him likeable to most UK fans.