Gilchrist vs. Shabazz on TV at 1pm

michael-gilchrist

Most of you are off work today (thanks to the great Dr. Martin Luther King) so why not spend an hour or two watching part of Kentucky’s 2011 recruiting class vs. a potential future Cat on the television set.  Mike Gilchrist’s St. Patrick Celtics tip-off at 1pm on ESPNU against the Bishop Gorman Fightin’ Shabazz Muhammads.  The game puts the #3 player in the 2011 class against the #3 player in the 2012 class.

Shabazz Muhammad recently took a visit to Duke but he also has Kentucky high on his list.  “The basketball program is one of the most prestigious in the country. Right now, I compare my game to Kentucky’s and see how I could fit in. I would love to play there.”

Maybe Gilchrist can do some recruiting for us during the game.

Check it out in an hour.

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for Gilchrist vs. Shabazz on TV at 1pm

1. LexDoc
    12:03 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

Pardon Enes!

2. WaldoGeraldoFaldo
    12:04 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

Shabazz. I want him just for “great name” factor.

3. Chris Thomas
    12:07 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

Shabazz Muhammad > Shabazz Palaces, but it is very close. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMZKPaSF0GE)

4. Ville Cat
    12:17 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

I have watched shabazz play a few times ad really like his game. Would love to see him come to Lexington. Out of the list of 8 players we were given, what’s everyones take on who you would prefer? If we were to land 3 of them, who you want?

5. Fuzzy Zoeller
    12:20 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

6. tom5673
    12:29 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

love muhammad’s game. great left-handed finisher.

7. Troy University
    12:53 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

I hope you guys a making a fortune off these adds. Really Troy University?

8. Troy University
    12:53 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

*are

9. mudcat
    12:54 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

Rose, Drummond, and Muhammed….Murphy as the 4th man. Honestly, I have a feeling we will have a lot of scholarships to fill after 2011, so why not sign all 8.

10. NBA league pass
    1:11 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

9). Agreed. I’d love to have those top 3 you listed. That class would rival next years class. Unreal.

11. Han
    1:15 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

9) Ditto on the 3. But it’s all in the hands of the NBA right now and their collective bargaining agreement.

12. Chris Thomas
    1:20 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

9) how about Purvis, Drummond, Muhammed? Don’t count that out yet…

13. Lenny 220
    1:44 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

Mohammed is tough and I’d love to land him at UK. Gilchrist is a man amongst boys and is probably the best overall player Cal will have ever recruited. But I love Chris Martin #23. He’s a dead eye shooter and would flourish in the DDMO. I checked him out on rivals and he’s got 12 offers, Seton Hall his biggest suitor. I wish Cal would get guys like Martin. They are like Preston Knowles and can be DEADLY in a run n gun offense. I also like Dakari Johnson. He lacks the skill set right now, but he will be a bear in a couple years. Might be worth the offer for Cal.

14. Worried about the 2012 class
    1:48 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

If Drummond wants to quickly maximize his talent then he should come to UK.

However, he won’t and probably will sign with his local favorite UCONN. I’m worried about the 2012 class. Yes, Cal will bring in some guys but there will be a noticeable drop off (more 4 than 5 star guys).

Perry Ellis will go to Kansas, Dejaun Coleman will to Syracuse (not a great move considering all their bigs), Shabazz Muhammad to UNC (his childhood favorite). Ricardo Ledo already signed with Providence and even Pittsburgh has signed a top 5 player in Birch. Maybe we can get LJ Rose but he’s a high 4. There’s lots of unknown questions about the class. Goodwin would be a great get but who knows.

IU already has a very strong 2012 class and Louisville has signed a couple guys.

Cal has nothing to prove and is a top notch recruiter but that class will be his biggest challenge yet.

15. Can UK land another #1 class in 2012?
    1:50 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

If Drummond wants to quickly maximize his talent then he should come to UK.

Perry Ellis will go to Kansas, Dejaun Coleman will to Syracuse (not a great move considering all their bigs), Shabazz Muhammad to UNC. Ricardo Ledo already signed with Providence and even Pittsburgh has signed a top 5 player in Birch. Maybe we can get LJ Rose but he’s a high 4. There’s lots of unknown questions about the class. Goodwin would be a great get but who knows.

I want to be hopeful, hope i’m wrong, and really want to beat Duke in ATL but I worry about the quality of that team. We’re talking about Poole, Polson, Hood, and Wiltjier (maybe Vargas if he red-shirts). I doubt Lamb, Knight, or Jones will be around for a junior season. I hope i’m wrong but Gilchrist, Teague, and Davis probably are one and done. What we can offer is immediate playing time.

16. BlueFins
    1:58 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

If you would love to play here, then sign scholarship offer. Done!

17. tom5673
    2:38 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

north carolina is garbage. did ole boy roy forget how to coach suddenly, or is there something to the notion that great players make coaches great.

18. Eroc
    4:31 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

UNC is not in shabazz’s top 3. Quit worrying. What was the last cal team not loaded with talent??

19. word is bond yo
    5:12 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

a literal dream/best case scenario for me would be for polson to stir the drink in ’13 possibbly ’12………i think its possible and would be awesome. after day in and day out playing against nothing but thoroughbred ballers in practice over the course of his career, i seriously think he could develope into a steady heady enough point guard to run a talented team. thats mine and his goal…… by his senior year to run point.

20. Jim
    6:03 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

I may be overly optimistic, but I don’t expect a large number of one-and-dones every year. I think last year had many unusual circumstances. I can at least hope!!!!!!!!!!

21. No dancing allowed!
    8:04 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

Shabazz Muhammed needs some ink. Sign him!

22. Can UK land another #1 class in 2012?
    9:11 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

@ #18 what are your sources on Shabazz? His favorite team growing up was UNC. Unless Clifton is in the picture, my guess UNC is his favorite.

The argument isn’t whether Cal will make the 2012 team competitive, the question is whether there will be a drop off in talent that year. Its a legitimate question because unlike 09-11, we are not the leaders for any of these 5 star players — maybe Goodwin but he’s #18 in his class and i’m not sold that we’re his top choice.

Perhaps, if we can lock up a few guys from 18-31 in the country and if we’re lucky 1 or 2 5 star players then we may compete in ways similar to the team this season.

In my opinion, getting Lacey for 2011 is critical because he and Wiltjier would lead the team in 2012. If we land him and get Goodwin, then not landing Drummond won’t hurt as much.

I also haven’t forgotten about Daniel Ochefu (6’10, C, 5 star). He loves UK and Georgetown but KSR didn’t list him as 1 of our 8 priorities. There’s just so many questions about the class

23. Can UK land another #1 class in 2012?
    9:17 pm January 17, 2011 Permalink

I forgot about J.P. Tokoto but he seems to have slipped down the rankings a bit.