Getting ready for the SEC Tournament (Wednesday Show Thread)

secnashville

It’s “The Ryan Lemond Show” again this morning as we head into the last day of Matt and Drew’s California adventure. Today, local sportscasters Lee K. Howard and Alex Risen join Ryan to talk about Cats’ chances in the upcoming SEC Tournament and what they have to do to punch their ticket to the dance.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

113 Comments for Getting ready for the SEC Tournament (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. DrSayre
    9:56 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Alan mentioned yesterday there is another radio station in Lexington looking at making a new Sports Talk Show…After this week, I think Ryan could use that as leverage to get a pay raise! Speaking of Alan, I don’t think he was that bad when he was taking calls…I don’t know why he’s so insistent on not taking many calls!

2. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    9:59 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Please Matt. Please. Come back to the airwaves! It’s been brutal without you.

3. Madisonville Micah
    9:59 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I never thought I’d be so glad to have Ryan back…Cutler almost ruined KSR for me yesterday.

4. UK_JB
    10:02 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Can we have MJP on KSR once she leave LEX18?

Also who knew pants size of 31 is the largest you can get in LA.

Also why am I see old people on my screen looking for love? I’ve lost my lunch.

5. BourbonCity Cat Fan
    10:02 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I like Alan Cutler, but give me Ryan instead, any day!

6. G-Unit
    10:04 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

To All Delusional PPL that Think All 1 and Done Players Should Pay Their Scholly Back:

UK Costs:
    $19,998 for tuition and fees
    $10,200 for the average cost of room and board
    $800 for books and supplies

so thats a total of around 31,000 bucks about

“fear the brow” shirts cost around 20 bucks (the low end) which means if UK sold 2,000 shirts they broke even… not to mention the other shirts and jerseys sold. Bottom Line is guys like Wall,Knight,Jones,Davis,MKG, Nerlens make the school neary AT LEAST double the ammount the school invests in them…

thats a tad different than your average child…

if anything these kids should be receiving a STIPEND lol!

7. Wall2Cousins
    10:04 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

GAWD….please….plezzzzzzzz no MORE High School basketball talk…..not all of us live in Kentucky

8. Dr J
    10:06 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

What station picks up KSR in Paintsville and Ashland? I’m on the road today in those cities.

9. Turner the Burner
    10:06 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Yesterday was terrrrrrrrible…… I had to turn it off 30 minutes in. #7…. High School BBall is over now, and most of us do live in KY and like to get the updates.

10. Fake_Dan_Cummins
    10:06 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I am so glad a lot of people are driving to Paris!!!!

11. Wall2Cousins
    10:07 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

9. so did i….not kidding

12. G-Unit in my pants
    10:07 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

What about players like Daniel Orton? Not sure how many shirts he was able to sell.

13. Scott
    10:08 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

This show is already better than yesterday

14. pizzagirl
    10:09 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

i say mulletcat is a good nickname

15. Big Curt
    10:10 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

How about the “Big LeeK?” lol sorry I know that was bad.

16. UK_JB
    10:10 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

So many names…
    Newschannel 36, Action News 36, Eyewitness News

17. Fake_TG_Thunder_Shuck
    10:11 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

What the “K” stand for LEE K? KENTUCKY?!

18. G-Unit
    10:11 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

12- You are gonna pick 1 out of 13? lol I think John Wall/Cousins/Knight/Free Enes/ Lamb “3 goggles”, Fear the Brow A. Davis, Flat top Nerlens more than made up for that lol…

19. JB from Somerset
    10:12 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

#8, I thought i was on the wrong website. Older Women looking for love??? whats up with theses ad’s ???

20. Real Talk
    10:12 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Liu Brooklyn won their conference tournament. Does that give uk’s rip a boost?

21. JB from Somerset
    10:13 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

sorry, it was # 4

22. Ronnie Mingua
    10:13 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

10- When did Paris become know for you’re 2 bit car lot? Since 1994, we have had the greatest natural style beef jerky in the world here!

23. real blotto
    10:14 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

#4 MJP had a Sunday morning show for about a year that was just dreadful. She should just enjoy the time with her kid and find something out of the public eye to pay the bills. Just like RobRoy, a little MJP goes a loooong way.

24. LansingCat
    10:15 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

13 is right. And we’re only ten minutes in. Yesterday I drank vodka to deal with the show.

25. G-Unit
    10:15 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Had a good friend tell me Poythress and WCS will return. This dude told me Cal before his name was brought up and Stoops so whoever he knows, its legit info… Also told me UK lands Randle AND Wiggins: Why you ask? Heres Why:

PG: Andrew Harrison/Dominique Hawkins
    SG: Aaron Harrison/James Young (Can backup the SF position but is a natural 2-guard
    SF:
    PF: Julius Randle/Wiltjer/Poythress/Marcus Lee-
    Randle has the handle to play the 3 but you need his body down low
    Poythress doesnt have the handle to play the 3
    Wiltjer is well, Wiltjer
    Marcus Lee at 6’10 is just too big to play the 3

C: Willie Cauley-Stein/ Dakari Josh Johnson

Where is our SF? Wiggins is all alone, that is why he comes. Cal is selling getting able to PRACTICE against NBA caliber talent… I would love to see a scrimmage if that happens.

Harrison v. Hawkins (btw Hawkins went for 29 v. Harrison)
    Harrison v. Young
    Wiggins v. Randle (just cuz Randle is most versitile)
    Poythress v. Lee
    Cauley-Stein v. Dakari Johnson

YIKES. UK will have the #1 and #2 team in the nation lol!

26. Madisonville Micah
    10:17 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

#19 Cutler must have downloaded a virus on their computers yesterday when he was searching for love in all the wrong places

27. Laker Cat 18
    10:18 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

19. It’s Just Lunch has changed to These Cougars Are Hungry. I’m down for a good cougar every now and then, but these broads are scary looking.

28. G-Unit in my pants
    10:22 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Just giving you a hard time G-Unit! You still my boy!!! LOL!

29. lakesidecatsfan
    10:24 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

25, I pray your right!

30. G-Unit in my pants
    10:24 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

G-Unit…thanks for the insider update.

31. Laker Cat 18
    10:27 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

25. Good stuff if it’s legit.

32. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

25, I notice you don’t mention Harrow, Hood or Polson in your lineups. Are you expecting those guys to be gone?

33. Fake Mullet Cat
    10:29 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Get to the important stuff!! Lets hear about Mullet Cat!!

34. BigBlueCPA
    10:29 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Cutler must have been blowing the previous caller to get him to say that. Cutler sucks as a sports guy, and he is unbearable as a radio show host.

35. G-Unit
    10:33 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

BTW, Havent been a bachelor watcher til this season… that finale was pretty epic…chose the right girl too!

36. G-Unit
    10:35 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

32- Do they matter? lol

37. UKKid76
    10:36 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Ryan, even as a empty suit you do 1000X better than Cutler hosting. Yesterday was 2 hours of my life I will never get back. It was like a deep, dark movie you want to turn it off but you can’t until its over.

Question for you all… I have seen a few bracket projections and some have UK as a 12 seed. If they indeed get that play-in game which one of the projected 12 seeds would we want to play?

Boise State, Virginia, Pittsburgh, or Villanova

38. G-Unit
    10:39 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

28- its cool man. If that happens UK will have 6 go in the lottery…not counting Marcus Lee or JAmes Young if the come out early… lol can you imagine 8 in the first round lol!

39. UKKid76
    10:39 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

12 Seeds should be Boise State, Virginia, Villanova or La Salle

40. G-Unit
    10:45 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Here is something to think about… Whatever seed UK gets, if we get in the tourney, we will more than likely be the “worst” of that seed whether it is a 10 or 12 seed.

I think if Duke wins ACC Tourney, they take overall #1 seed…but I think they dont and Gonzaga gets it. That puts us in a bracket with Gonzaga as the #1, OSU as a #2 and we would play someone like Pitt 1st round, possibly someone like MArquette in 2nd round.

I like that draw.

41. FakeMulletCat
    10:46 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I give mullet cat a b+

42. Laker Cat 18
    10:48 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

40. I like that draw as well. I’ll be honest with you, I don’t want any part of OSU. They’re one of my top 4 or 5 teams I see making a possible deep run in the tourney.

43. RealCatsFan
    10:48 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

32, point taken! 🙂 I guess if we get those guys, they might not matter. Hopefully next year’s group of kids will be more of the self-starter mold than this year’s group.

IF those guys hang around, I sincerely hope Cal will give them some playing time in games where we are up big. Not just the usual mop-up time with 30 seconds left in the game that he has done in years past. I am not one to criticize Cal for very much, but this has always been a pet peeve of mine. I can recall more than one occasion last year when we were up by 25+, and Cal literally waited until the last minute to put in the mop-up crew. One game in particular, the subs were helplessly sitting there at the scorer’s table watching the seconds tick away, and there was never a stop in the action to let them in. The announcer’s were even talking about it! For the love of God, Cal, call a timeout and let those poor kids get into the game! Kind of embarrassing.

44. J in Orlando
    10:49 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

25 They will both leave imo…But what I can guarantee is that they haven’t made a definitive decision yet with more chances to showcase themselves still…

45. Travis
    10:50 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Uncle Julius deserves an A…No question. Cats would be lost without May’s leadership, heart, effort and big shots.

46. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

G, please, no more matchups with BE teams! Hate the thought of us getting bounced out by another BE team – then all the bird fans will be chirping at us again.

47. Laker Cat 18
    10:51 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

If these guys give Poythress higher than a D+, I’m turning the show off.

48. Travis
    10:51 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

My fav for the KSR CONTEST is Mullet Cat. Props to the caller earlier who stopped at Porcinis. I hope he took a shower afterwards or didn’t stay for the midnight special.

49. UKKid76
    10:51 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I agree G-Unit

That would be the idea draw. I believe we will go in as a 10 seed if we win at least 1 game in the SEC tourney. If that happens I believe your scenario is more likely to happen.

I really think this might be the year a 16 seed upsets a 1 (Gonzaga) or even (Duke). Might be a down year in our eyes for the Cats but it will be a great tournament.

50. Laker Cat 18
    10:57 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

49. I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about that same topic of this year being the best shot for a 16 over a 1 seed in a long time. I actually picked UNC-Asheville over Syracuse in one of my brackets last year. Almost happened, think they lost by 6 or 7.

51. robuk
    11:00 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Hey just joined the show. It took me an hour to work up the stomach after listening to that idiot cutler yesterday.

52. RealCatsFan
    11:03 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

49, yep, it’s going to be interesting filling out the brackets this year! I think I am just going to throw darts or flip a coin on most of my picks! Probably let my 9-year-old daughter fill one out and see if she beats her old man!

I filled one out a few years ago where I picked the lower seed in every game just to see how it would do. I was actually doing respectably until about the third round. This year that might not be a bad strategy!

53. robuk
    11:06 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Maybe Cal should have tried the “Total Transformation” program on the team this year.

54. J in Orlando
    11:06 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

46 they will also chirp if we lose to an ACC team lol…or something else…when you haven’t won a championship in almost 3 decades your fanbase becomes very good at finding reasons to speak up

55. FakeMulletCat
    11:07 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I thought the live location on Friday was Wildhorse? Did his change??!

56. Ricky
    11:09 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Matt just tweeted that 31 people completed the challenge

57. FakeMulletCat
    11:10 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Have you been to a womens rupp game?! The games are much better games at memorial!!

58. BigBlueCPA
    11:11 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

This caller is a Cutler!

59. robuk
    11:11 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

last caller was an idiot

60. UKKid76
    11:11 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

52. I like your choice for choosing teams! My daughter fills one out every year and we go against one another a friendly family competition. She has done well the last couple years, I think she might use the coin toss method!

61. WEAREUK
    11:12 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

That caller is an idiot, Women need to play in Memorial and his recruiting is blowing UL out of the water

62. cats1068
    11:12 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Ryan, that’s Mr. 1986

63. Fake_Sue_Wylie
    11:13 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I always grade on curves… just my sexy legs

64. H
    11:13 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Last caller is crazy. I wish the boys played in memorial. We would never lose at home in a gym that size. Only time rupp is a great atmosphere is in special moments like mizzou and fla game this yr. typically rips atmosphere is dead because of all the ppl in the lowers that can’t get up because of the sticks up their butts.

65. H
    11:14 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Yeah rupp half full would be impressive for UK hoops lol. Not

66. G-Unit
    11:15 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Harrow is gone… otherwise we wouldnt be so interested in Hawkins…

67. robuk
    11:15 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Larry was breathing a little hard.

68. cats1068
    11:17 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I think Harrow is as good as gone.

69. Neil
    11:18 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

53…..that was hillarious

70. DrSayre
    11:19 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I can’t remember, did Shannon do his live read yesterday for Big House?

71. G-Insider-Unit
    11:19 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Listen 2 me..I have all the info,I know it all

72. robuk
    11:22 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Doug…it’s Matts show.

73. wildcatcpa
    11:24 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

If Harrow transfers to a Div I school he will only have one year of eligibility left. He gets 5 years to play 4. So he should probably stay.

74. JBazz
    11:26 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Matt Heissenbuttel

75. RUPPS_rhetoric
    11:27 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

The last Lexington kid was Matt Heisenbutteul SP? At least Private school. The last Public school was Cameron Mills. Would have been Jaron Brown had Pitino stayed.

76. UKnTN
    11:27 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

RYAN, luv ya, but u r an idiot if u think Cal is ever going to depend on Ryan Harrow as a starter again! No way! Also, u didn’t grade the best player on the team… Nerlens

77. robuk
    11:27 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I wonder how the caller figured out we would have new faces on the team next yr?

78. G-Unit
    11:28 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

71- Have I been wrong yet?

79. robuk
    11:29 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Paul is a cool cat!!

80. ktmiln2
    11:30 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

The people complaining about being cut off are usually the ones that need to be cut off. I’m glad Matt cuts of the idiots. Everyone has a right to the opinion, but this is Matt’s show. And it seems to be working pretty well.

81. cats1068
    11:30 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

G, keep up your good work. You bring good info to this show thread!

82. BigBlueCPA
    11:30 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Paul, find something else to do at the nursing home besides call the show and cry about this and that. Go do some arts and crafts in day room.

83. ryan
    11:31 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

RUPPS_rhetoric & JBazz = good work young sportsmen getting the question right

84. robuk
    11:31 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

excuse me Bob Hook but anyone can get invoice pricing at just about any dealership.

85. jbhuk15
    11:31 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

There’s a reason Matt won’t let people talk Paul. Some callers can’t get to the damn point and some don’t need to be calling at all.

86. robuk
    11:32 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Journey rocks!

87. Daryl Dixon
    11:33 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Journey SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

88. Radio Show
    11:34 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I love all these people who complain about everything…Cal and one and done, Mitch can’t hire a football coach, Mitchell should play in Rupp, and Matt has no idea how to run a radio show…. all the above are extremely successful.

89. cats1068
    11:34 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Ryan Harrow struggles because of lack of toughness.

90. robuk
    11:38 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Bruce Pearl was fired because he is a liar.

91. drew
    11:40 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

G Unit You have been pretty spot on with all your info and thanks for information but that lineup sounds to good to be true!!!! But i hope this information is right. I will do BACKFLIPS at work while sh*tting my pants!!!!! Lol

92. robuk
    11:40 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Joker did not work at UK because he hit that bong to hard.

93. MrWildcat
    11:41 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I havent heard a word all year about Poythress or Goodwin Transferring. Do you really think they would sit out a year and play the next? When they can hardly wait to make it to the NBA this year.

94. G-Unit
    11:41 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Joker didnt work because he had no effin clue what he was doing…

95. G-Unit
    11:44 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Mark Stoops will work:

1) Higher caliber player
    2) Defense is 4-3…very simple, will be extremely disciplined
    3) Offense will be spitting image of Texas A&M…and we saw how they sliced the “vaunted SEC defenses”

WHEN this Braylon Heard Transfers, UK will have a guy that can be a candidate for the best RB in the SEC. Thats how good this guy is… absolutely electric

96. Chris
    11:44 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

People who call in to complain about Matt or Ryan must not have listened to the show yesterday.

97. MrWildcat
    11:46 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Didnt enjoy Allen yesterday. But Ryan is an idiot. Why does Matt keep him around?

98. Matt from somerset
    11:46 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Joker was hired because he could recruit, he was supposed to be a top recuiter in the country. Now you say that he couldn’t get the job done because he didn’t recruit well at Kentucky? Maybe he just wasn’t the man for the job.

99. BlueRedNeck
    11:46 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

That is NOT the Romantics, Ryan!!

100. BlueRedNeck
    11:47 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

The CLASH!!

101. ryan
    11:49 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

BlueRedNeck – great catch! you got a shout out

102. DrSayre
    11:52 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

I wished she called yesterday haha

103. MrWildcat
    11:52 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Allen was dreadful but had some good points

104. Stitch Jones
    11:52 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Willie Needs to stay for Soph year. It would be the difference between a short NBA career or a long productive NBA career……

105. ryan
    11:53 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

MrWildcat – thank you for your kind words and great advice. our ratings definitely reflect your insight and thoughts

106. MrWildcat
    11:54 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Ryan I listen everyday and enjoy the show. You just need a filter. Some off the things you say are off the wall.

107. cats1068
    11:55 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Come on, Referee guy! Harrow is soft and is nowhere near the talent of Rose, Evans, Wall, Knight and Teague!

108. LansingCat
    11:56 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Great show today, guys! Thank you!

109. cats1068
    11:57 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Good show, Ryan, Lee K and Alex.

110. ryan
    11:57 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

MrWildcat – all good brother! we just appreciate you checking us out

111. MrWildcat
    11:59 am March 13, 2013 Permalink

Ryan – I Like you ans listening to you…sometimes. But ya gotta think before you talk man. Other than that the show is great

112. MrWildcat
    12:00 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

and**

113. Laker Cat 18
    12:13 pm March 13, 2013 Permalink

Good show today compared to yesterday. Daylight to dark difference. Ryan’s better than Matt half the time. It’s about sports entertainment. We usually get both. I don’t know what happened yesterday.