Getting Ready for Arkansas

Tyler Wilson leads a struggling Razorbacks ball club.

Tyler Wilson leads a struggling Razorbacks ball club.

I empathize for the Razorbacks that simply can’t avoid off the field problems. Petrino began the trend and now they are dealing with more and more. Last week new Coach John L Smith had to go to court for his bankruptcy situation and this week their QB Tyler Wilson was in a car wreck. Off-the-field problems will lead to on-the-field problems: Arkansas is 2-4, after being a preseason Top 10 team.

Offense

Petrino did a good job of establishing a well orchestrated offense, that had great foundations in the pass game. Tyler Wilson is 8th Nationally in passing yards per game with 317 and has a good group of weapons to throw the ball around to. Cobi Hamilton gets 113 receiving yards per game as a deep ball threat. If Wilson doesn’t want to go big, he goes to his bug guy at TE Chris Gragg (however Gragg is doubtful for tonight’s game). Wilson is a smart, experienced QB that can put up HUGE numbers if you let him get on a roll. He must be pressured, however the Razorbacks’ line has only given up one sack in the past two weeks.

The Running game isn’t their bread and butter, but they have a great athlete in Dennis Johnson. Their “Mr. All-Purpose” has lightning fast speed that has made him the active SEC leader in all-purpose yards. I’d be worried about kicking the ball to him, if we didn’t have punting extraordinaire Landon Foster.

Bottom Line: It’s about the same thing each week for the Cats: a young secondary needs help by getting pressure on Tyler Wilson. This week it is even more polarized with one of the most talented QBs in the country, and a secondary that only has freshmen and sophomores.

Defense

I hate to say it but I’ve got some bad news. This defense is coming off a high that completely demolished Auburn last week, sacking their QB 8 times and forcing 5 turnovers. Trey Flowers is no Jadeveon Clowney, but 3.5 sacks in a game is still very impressive. Their stud LB Alonzo Highsmith is 2nd in the SEC in tackles for a good reason; he has a way of making sure he puts his nose in every tackle. Their secondary is very young, but no one can compare to UK’s young secondary. They also had 3 interceptions last week, something our young guys haven’t produced much of yet.

Bottom Line: JALEN WHITLOW CAN NOT BE PUT ON THE GROUND. Auburn’s QB went through hell on Earth last week, being consistently put on the ground, which lead to interceptions. I’m not as worried about the interceptions as I am his health. Nobody wants to see Morgan Newton in the game.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

26 Comments for Getting Ready for Arkansas

1. Has been
    11:39 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

Hey as an incentive lets say losing coach tonight gets fired….something to make it interesting.

2. lexslamman
    11:59 am October 13, 2012 Permalink

buck footfall

3. Grammar101
    12:18 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

I empathize with.
    I have empathy for.

That’s all.

4. Rixter
    12:19 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

# 1, I like it…. at least gives the game some meaning.

5. FrankTheTank
    12:24 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Love me some UK football. Not.

6. 9 is FINE
    12:26 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

#1 I hope we lose BIG!

7. niaps
    12:43 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

#6 That will not be a problem today. Cannot see the Cats scoring more than once the whole game . My thinking is 38- 7

8. TampaCat
    12:58 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

“Getting Ready” to get our butt’s kicked! 48-3.

9. Dylan
    12:59 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

the game is blacked out on espn3.com, anyone know where i can watch it in bowling green?

10. Yab
    1:43 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Leave Joker in Fayetteville, and bring Petrino back home with the team.

11. Breal1515
    2:13 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

#10,, I second that, Here Here!

12. CarolinaCatFan
    2:13 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

If Sonny Dykes and LA Tech beat A&M today watch out. Starting to think he needs to be high on the list. Great offensive mind that knows Texas and Louisiana well and has been in the Bluegrass before. Could be a good up and comer.

13. millwooded
    2:14 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

we WIN this game 27-23…yes, i’ve been drinking

14. Ashland
    2:28 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Who cares about this game, or any to come after that? Madness was last night, basketball is here.

15. Head Bussa
    2:31 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

I know he isn’t the “sexiest” name around, but I’m not so sure Willie Taggart isn’t the guy for the job. There may be some other guys we want before him, but I would be pretty happy to see him in charge. The guy can flat-out coach football. He may not be a guy who can instantly change things, but give him some time and he will have UK playing some solid football. Western Kentucky has covered 15 straight point-spreads! That is convincing evidence the guy has his teams prepared to compete game in, game out.

16. Head Bussa
    2:38 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

14 — I will always care about watching Kentucky in any basketball OR football game they play. I think we have some nice players on our football team and I enjoy watching those individuals more than anything. Unfortunately, we have a coach who just hasn’t given the kids a fair chance to win games but these are our guys and they’ll be here when Joker is gone next year. Good luck to the boys tonight in Fayetteville.

17. alex j
    2:43 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

loosers, all of you are loosers. go to another sight or program if you want to put down the cats. after the season you can whine, not when the team is playng. Loosers !! And for the looser who wants foul mouthed Pretrino you belong wih him in the latrine

18. Head Bussa
    3:11 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Alex J., do you really not know how to spell LOSERS?

19. Joker Fun Facts
    3:14 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

If Joker wins 4 SEC games in a single season he receives a $100K bonus

20. Joker Fun Facts
    3:15 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

So far this season Joker has been paid $146K for winning games and $729K for losing games

21. Joker Fun Facts
    3:16 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Joker is the highest ranked African-American coach at coacheshotseatdotcom

22. Bulldawg
    3:18 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

#17 I THINK I agree with what you are saying, but what exactly is a looser? Is it someone that is really relaxed or loose all the time? I think maybe you were trying to call people putting down the football team losers? Losers would be much more appropriate than “loosers” because not many people besides yourself knows what that means.

Anyway, well put Head Bussa. I agree. I hope UK wins because Joker is gone either way. For people to say I hope they lose BIG is cutting your nose off to spite your own face. Morons or maroons whatever “loosers.” ha ha.

23. meeksuperfan
    3:47 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

If joker is gone i think they should go after Eric Mangini.Bill Bellicheck protege and his coaching tree is the best.

24. Robukpt
    4:21 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

Alex j was referring to Karen sypher.

25. Tom Seaver
    5:03 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think Highsmith will stay at number two in tackles as he is out for the rest of the season due to injury.

26. niaps
    5:27 pm October 13, 2012 Permalink

#12 I really like Dykes too. This guy is the hottest up and get em coach out there. If he is not on the short list of our next coach then Barnheart is a moron.