Get to know Dominique Hawkins

Hawkins2

CoachCal.com has started their player profile series, and first up is Madison Central’s Dominique Hawkins. Eric Lindsey has an in-depth profile of Hawkins, whose dream truly came true when John Calipari offered him a scholarship to play for his dream school, the University of Kentucky.

The story of how Hawkins popped up on UK’s radar is familiar, but his enthusiasm about becoming a Cat rings through his comments in the profile. Hawkins documents the moment in which his dream became a reality, when John Calipari showed up in his high school locker room to offer him a scholarship two weeks after watching him in the Sweet Sixteen with the simple question: “Are you ready for this?”

“Are you ready for this because this is going to be pretty crazy because this is one of the best recruiting classes and (you’re) not going to be able to be teenage boys,” Calipari told Hawkins. “(You’re) going to have to be like men.

Hawkins says he’s ready for the challenge, and managed to keep his decision secret right up until his announcement. With All-Americans to his left and his right, Hawkins promises to play whichever role the team needs him to; however, he says he won’t back down from any challenges, especially in practice, which he claims will be harder than games because of the level of competition. Because of that, Hawkins says fans better buckle up, because this season is going to be crazy:

“We definitely feel like we’re on a mission because everybody knows what happened last year,” Hawkins said. “We definitely don’t want to be in the NIT. We’re trying to go undefeated and win a championship. … It’s just going to be crazy this season. This is going to be a fun ride and everybody’s going to work hard and want to win. We’re going to try to make this as fun as we can.”

Check out the profile in full to see more quotes and a video interview with Hawkins, who is well on his way to becoming a fan favorite.

[Meet the Wildcats: Hawkins truly living a dream come true]

33 Comments for Get to know Dominique Hawkins

1. Awaiting Moderation
    12:15 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Ok I heard Matt say 2014 was going to be a rebuilding year….He couldn’t be more wrong….

Matts lack of Knowledge for 2014 cracks me up…UK has GREAT chances to get the following guys:

Emanuel Mudiay (3)
    Cliff Alexander (4)**** No official visit planned though, may be fading
    Trey Lyles (5)
    Myles Turner (6)
    Rashad Vaughn (7)
    Stanley Johnson (8)
    Karl Towns (9)
    Craig Victor (21)
    Devin Booker (25)

I think Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, Julius Randle, Alex Poythress, WCS are definite leaves. Plus Hood and Polson. That’s 7 available spots…not to mention if Young or Dakari and Lee decide to go… I think Dakari and Lee stay. With that being said We would return Hawkins, Lee, Dakari, Derek Willis…. 13-(4to6) means will will have AT LEAST 7 available schollys left. You honestly think 6 top 10 guys are going to say No to Cal? Lol….we could be just as loaded with talent next year! Rebuilding my ass!!!

2. TrinityPills
    12:22 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

I don’t understand the Hitachi post. Is that a sponsorship post?

3. TheLaw
    12:24 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

1 – When did he say rebuilding year? I’ve heard him say the class was going to be good, but not on the level of the 2013 class…but I’ve never heard him use “rebuilding” (not sayin you’re wrong, just the first I’ve heard of it).

4. I Say
    12:27 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

@3 He said it on the radio show this morning

5. TheLaw
    12:27 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

3 – I realize 2013 is a historic class, so probably a poor choice of words with the “on the level” comment…

6. TheLaw
    12:28 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

4 – Wow – must have missed that. Thanks.

7. TheLaw
    12:30 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Then again, I guess a rebuilding year at UK is equivalent to the greatest year of all time at many schools…I guess I should remember the context, lol.

8. UKSupporter76
    12:35 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

@2

helpwantedkentucksportsradio.com

Longer Name. Amazinger results.

9. NO MATT JONES
    12:40 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

I think Lee and Young both come back. So you could have returnees in Hawkins, Lee, and Young that would automatically put you at top 10 status. That’s assuming no one else comes back, and then I’m sure Cal will have a top 3 class. It may not be a championship favorite, but there is no reason it cant/wont be a highly successful team.

10. Wedding Planner
    12:43 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

2014 is not looking good because UK is starting to recruit 4-star players. Here is my opinion:

Emanuel Mudiay: UK.. but he is not as good as our recent PGs
    Cliff Alexander: Michigan State
    Trey Lyles: Louisville
    Myles Turner: KU
    Rashad Vaughn: UK
    Stanley Johnson: Arizona
    Karl Towns: UK
    Craig Victor: No idea
    Devin Booker: UK but he is a 4-star

Mudiay, Vaughn, Towns, Booker plus almost no one else returning.. 2014 = 2012

11. cracka
    12:43 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

1 – i’d say we have a pretty good chance at towns since he already committed … we have not even offered turner or victor yet … and alexander did have an unofficial visit to uk … not arguing, just throwing in some info

12. #10
    12:47 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

No way Orton leaves, no way! How can you guys predict who is coming back when practice hasn’t even started?!? Silly as it sounds for a top 10 recruit and McD’s AA, Young is underrated and being overlooked. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see every one of this year’s freshmen, aside from Willis and Hawkins and Floreal, declare for the draft if the season goes as we expect.

13. Philuk18
    12:48 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

10.

That’s one of the silliest posts I’ve seen on here in a long time. If UK recruiting 4 star players means horrible things, then you must not be excited about this year either bc Hawkins and Willis are both less than 4 star players. Logic is awesome. Also, you have to assume we won’t lose everyone after this season, and could bring back at least 2 or possibly 3. Those returners plus another top 3 class and we’ll be fine. My God, some of you people alarm me with your ideas

14. mike
    12:48 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

@10 i’ll still be so high off the 2013 class so i won’t care, but i think you’re trying to make mountains out of mole hills. we’ll be fine.

15. Philuk18
    12:49 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

12.

Orton was unusually stupid and made a really bad choice. You can’t just assume everyone will be as stupid as he was

16. Clint
    12:56 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

I don’t understand how anyone could possibly be worried at this point about 2014. We already have one consensus top 10 recruit, Mudiay is as close to a lock as you can get, and we are considered favorites or co-favorites for 3-4 more top 10 recruits, plus Turner just rose on the scene and is wide open. That’s 7 possible top 10 players!!! Everybody chill

17. #10
    12:57 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

#15 riiigght. We can’t assume any other player would declare when he shouldn’t, can we? Cough, cough…. Archie Goodwin …cough cough. No, you cannot assume any given player will go, just like you would be stupid to assume any of this year’s Freshmen 5 star recruits will stay! Fair enough?

18. Rockfield, KY
    1:02 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

EVERYONE,

Matt has stated that new writers will be covering things such as culteral events, Lexington news, etc. I’m sure that listing local jobs openings is just one of his test ideas to see how it’s received. No need to get on here and cry about it. If you don’t like it, just ignore it and it’ll most likely disappear.

19. motodog
    1:03 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

I don’t care how many stars Booker has…I want this kid as much as any on the board.

20. Awaiting Moderation
    1:04 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

11- Duh I know Towns is committed. We will offer Turner/ Victor depending on who leaves and if we miss on Alexander/Lyles.

10 – Everyone at the most recent Nike Circut said Mudiay is your #1 pick in the 2015 draft if his jumper takes the jump it just took in 3 months. Mudiay is John Wall-esque athleticism with a better jumper.

9- In 3 Mock drafts Young is a top 10-12 pick…..IF it stays that way, no way in hell he comes back.

21. Awaiting Moderation
    1:08 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

The most Accurate Mock Draft Site for the 2013 draft has UK’s current players at these positions:

2) Julius Randle
    5) Andrew Harrison
    7) Willie Cauley Stein
    10) James Young
    22) Alex Poythress

To think ANY of those guys would come back if they are even in the vicinity of those spots is false hope.

22. Awaiting Moderation
    1:12 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Hell, 3 sites have Dakari as a lottery pick…

23. Awaiting Moderation
    1:13 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

19- as good as Booker is, Vaughn is another level.

24. PhilUK18
    1:26 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

17.

I would argue with you about your assertion that Goodwin made a bad choice. You really think with Harrison and Young coming in that he would have been a first rounder next year? I doubt it.

And while its conceivable that all of the stars from this class could leave, how likely do you think it is that 3 back ups will go pro in the same season? That’s unprecedented. Granted we have done unprecedented things as a program lately, but I like the odds of 1 or 2 of the star freshmen to stay.

25. KyWampusCat
    1:26 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

couldn’t be more excited for Hawkins, like so many of us, I love seeing Kentucky boys on the roster

26. PhilUK18
    1:30 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Anyway, my main point was that its ridiculous to worry about 2014 when A. We have a great looking season still a few months away and B. over half of the top 10 from the class of 2014 still haven’t chosen a school. It’s early days for recruiting that class, chill out wedding planner

27. Awaiting Moderation
    1:34 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins is going to surprise a lot of people.

28. PhilUK18
    1:35 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

And another thing about 4 star guys, WCS was one. Would you prefer we not have gotten him too, Wedding Planner?

29. Wedding Planner
    2:02 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

28 – much rather have a 5-star player than get lucky with a 4-star like WCS. Jon Hood was a 4-star player.

Bottom line – UK is calling on new guys in the class of 2014. Why would they do that if they were confident with their first choices?

30. me
    2:37 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

2014 will be kindof a weird recruiting year, due to the Jones-Okafor package. We will be fine though, will most likely have a top3 class (whomever gets Jones-Okafor will have the #1 class).

I suspect at least 2, maybe 3, of the McD’s freshman stay for a second year. Andrew and Julius are lottery locks, and WCS and Alex will be also if they have good seasons. The rest of the bunch will probably be late first-rounders or lower, depending on their performance this year (Dakari, Aaron, and James Young have a shot of going higher).

31. Awaiting Moderation
    3:57 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

30- I think Jones/Okafor are Duke bound. However, Even though they are Duke bound, Duke is not considered by 28 of the top 30 players and of those 2 they are low interest on 1 and medium interest on the other while UK has 7 of the top 10 very interested. Mudiay is basically a lock. So is Stanley Johnson. Karl Towns is in the top 10 and we are likely to get at least 1 more between Vaughn, Alexander, Lyles and Turner. You mean to tell me if we just get 3 or 4 top 10 guys we don’t jump duke? 2 years ago UCLA had 2 of the top 3 and UK just had 3 in the top 15 and we still hopped them…

32. john
    4:37 pm July 9, 2013 Permalink

Are all of the 2013-2014 newcomers cleared to play by the NCAA Clearinghouse?

33. L>P>