George Raveling sits down with Coach Cal

While in town for Cal’s fantasy camp, longtime friend and former coach George Raveling took the opportunity to sit down with Cal and film a few videos for his website, coachgeorgeraveling.com. Cal and Raveling, whose friendship goes back to Cal’s time at UMass, talked about last year’s team and their journey to the National Championship. A lot of it we’ve heard before (Anthony Davis took the fifth most shots/brother’s keeper/changing lives), but some of it was new to me. Highlights:

— Cal said he knew the Cats could win #8 when Teague (whom he accidentally calls “DeMarcus”) eventually learned to give up the ball, which made him “the best point guard in the country” by season’s end.
— The loss to Indiana provided motivation for the rest of the season. Cal even put the ESPN commercial featuring Watford’s last second shot into game tape so the guys would be reminded of it all season long.
— He had to teach “Michael Kidd” not to go “600 miles an hour on every play, possession and moment.”
— He was approached to do an All-Access special last season, but refused. “I needed to really focus in and zero in on what we were doing.”

There’s plenty more, including a bunch of videos of Raveling’s conversations with Joe B. Hall about his time as coach and player under Adolph Rupp. If anything, tune in for the catchy intro music. I’m still jamming at my desk.

15 Comments for George Raveling sits down with Coach Cal

1. Matt
    10:37 am October 23, 2012 Permalink

Cal and Raveling, whose friendship goes back to Cal’s time at UMass, talked about last year’s team and how their journey to the National Championship.

Proofreading is your friend KSR.

2. Big Blue 66
    10:54 am October 23, 2012 Permalink

1. Cal loves to stick that 500 win ball in everywhere, its like waldo 2. Tyler, if I were with you this morning, you would be awake….but not out of bed! (okay that was uncalled for apologies to Mr TT for that one)

3. Ukfan12
    10:59 am October 23, 2012 Permalink

Cal is so good that top recruits have to ask other schools to recruit them. When he took the job he said he wanted other schools to cringe when UK walked into the gym to recruit players (paraphrasing). Well, if this isn’t proof of that I certainly don’t know what is.

4. FRET NOT
    11:09 am October 23, 2012 Permalink

If Matt is so connected, why does he freak out everytime a story comes out? Sucks we didn’t get the Harrison twins, Cauley, MKG, Knight, Lamb, etc… Cal is clearly not the recruiter we think he is. Guess Matt is too busy inflating his own ego instead of looking for the truth. Hey Matt, why don’t you berate more callers for responding to your political statements so you can feel better about yourself?

5. Bradley
    11:44 am October 23, 2012 Permalink

5. You must not have read the how to be a liberal handbook. When confronted you simply talk louder than the other person and cut them off. Whoever talks loudest wins in their eyes. Kind of ironic that classless and rude behavior like that is one of the factors that will cost Obama-Biden this election. Of course, being absolutely brutal at their jobs hurts them as well.

6. Gee Thanks
    11:52 am October 23, 2012 Permalink

Thanks so much for giving us the latest update on the race for the White House #6. Your political acumen is staggering.

7. hooch
    12:00 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Raveling’s sort of tubbed out over the years.

8. Jon
    12:02 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

Let me be the first to say, Cal “gets it.”

9. harry
    12:20 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

#6, me and my first team all great Americans agree with you:

Rush Limbaugh
    Sean Hannity
    Michael Savage
    Glenn Beck
    Laura Ingram
    Bill O’Reilly
    Fox News

“talk louder than the other person and cut them off”… good call.

10. JoeMoney333
    12:46 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

Is it just me or does Cal put that 500th win ball in every freaking photo or interview… like a big middle finger to the NCAA lol

11. Demarcus Cousins
    1:11 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for the shout out Cal, but if I had all those assists in 2011-2012 … WHERE IS MY RING?

12. Duke Sucks
    1:42 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

As long as he stays our coach I could careless if he has a cup of orange leaf tatoo on his a$$, and shows it at the end of every interview!!!

13. lil c
    2:20 pm October 23, 2012 Permalink

As much as I love coach Cal,
    if I have to hear in every freaking interview………

“Anthony Davis took the 5th most shots and Michael Gilchrist took the 4th most shots, and Miller started the year before but exepted coming off the bench for the team”…..

SMH

14. Bluedevil4
    1:52 am October 24, 2012 Permalink

His 500 win ball puts him at just over 50% of Coach K. But how many wins will his “One and Dumb” Wildcat players from the Coal Palace get him a before his cheating comes back to haunt him again and he rides out of town on his black horse. Not enough to catch the honest Coach K.