Gatewood Galbraith (January 23, 1947 – January 3, 2012)

gatewood

Gatewood Galbraith, the well-known Lexington lawyer and Kentucky politician, died last night in his sleep, according to his running mate Dea Riley. Gatewood was a perennial candidate for governor of Kentucky, a published author, a friend of Willie Nelson, a multiple-time guest on KSR, and the self-proclaimed “Last Free Man in Kentucky.”

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and supporters.

He was 64.

Article written by Drew Franklin

44 Comments for Gatewood Galbraith (January 23, 1947 – January 3, 2012)

1. Wildcat4life
    10:17 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

RIP Gatewood

2. Jimi Garden of Eden
    10:21 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

God Bless You Gatewood…I’ll miss you my Friend…thoughts and prayers to the family…

3. bluebiscuit
    10:21 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

So sorry to hear this news. May he rest in peace.

4. give em hell cats
    10:25 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

RIP Gatewood. the few times i met him around town he was nothing but a grounded, cool dude. Prayers for the family.

5. FloydThe Barber
    10:25 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I voted for ol’ Gatewood in November…..RIP Gatewood.

6. Gavin S.
    10:27 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

That’s a bummer. I used him a lawyer back in the day and hung out with him a few times. He loved his weed.

7. lexslamman
    10:36 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

3 things to remember about Gatewood: Big cigars, big hats and big smiles

8. Han
    10:37 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Wow, hadn’t heard he was having any health problems.

You have to respect a man who gets his law degree in part to defend himself and his chosen lifestyle. It was always fun seeing him out on Alumni before UK football games, pressing the flesh and trying to win votes one wave at a time.

9. Andrea
    10:41 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I’ve heard he’s a very nice man and he was an interesting political figure in Lexington. RIP Gatewood.

10. Kwildcat
    10:43 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

RIP to an original KY gentleman

11. Space between John Hods jersey and chest
    10:43 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Gatewood, you still da man!

12. L3G3END of ROARK
    10:44 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Wow! Shocked. Have voted for him several times including this past November. Also talked with him on more than one occasion down at Lynagh’s back in the day. This sucks…

13. fresh prince of adair
    10:47 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

so sad….i just saw him last week and as usual he spoke to me as if he knew me. i will always always always respect that man and anyone who hasnt read his book should do so. he could have gotten elected any number of times if he’d just not been so honest. i know a lawyer that was in gatewood’s class at uk’s law school and he said that gatewood was one of the smartest if not the smartest fellows he ever met. he famously went to class (in law school) less than anyone but maintained great grades (my lawyer acquaintance said all A’s). this isnt even going to hit me for a few more days and it makes me wish i’d have said more when i saw him last. im at least glad i told him merry christmas. he will be missed and future generations will remember and embrace him more than the present ones will.

running in campaigns takes tolls on people and different people run for different reasons. im convinced he ran for the right reasons and it’s saddening that he gave so much of his energy and smarts to people that did not appreciate him. he will be honored and missed.

14. UKfanNKY
    10:50 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

RIP Gatewood

15. Sunshine
    10:57 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

RIP my friend. I guess we won’t be having that party when I retire. Prayers to his family and many friends.

16. cuatrupp
    10:58 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

RIP Gatewood

17. Trident
    11:00 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I was lucky enough to burn a few with him at Tates Creek GC back years ago………RIP Gatewood

18. SexnNursinHomes
    11:00 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

RIP Gatewood. Great man. Sucks

19. nolablue
    11:06 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky has lost one of her treasures. RIP Gatewood.

20. UKChillfan
    11:06 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

I was a year ahead of Gatewood in law school. I’m really glad I was able to follow his “colorful” career. To his close friends and family, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

21. seenvic
    11:07 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

RIP. I last voted for him in 1991. The last year I could vote in KY.

22. Wise Old Man
    11:22 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

Really sorry to hear this.

Back in the really old days, when I was a freshman at UK and the students actually came to the football games, we had to stand in line on Monday nights to get the “good” tickets. You would stand on the sidewalk in front of Memorial for a couple of hours or so, and you could get seats somewhere between the 40’s. It was kind of boring, but we true blue fans were willing to tough it out.

One of my Monday evening sidewalk adventures stood out for being completely different than all the rest. I stood in line behind a guy that was quick to introduce himself to anyone within earshot and handshake distance. He was Gatewood Galbraith. I believe he was in law school at the time. Those hours waiting for tickets were absolutely not boring. Gatewood kept us all entertained – cutting jokes and just running his mouth nonstop. He never shut up the whole time.

He was funny, smart and friendly. I liked him.

That was the only time I ever met him, yet he made such an impression that decades later, when I saw his name in the news announcing his run for office, I instantly remembered that time waiting for tickets.

The man many of us loving referred to ad Gateweed will be missed. He was a true KY character.

And yes, I voted for him several times.

23. We the people
    11:23 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

An opportunity for a person of integrity, compassion , vision and
    personal courage to serve in the all of the publics interest is lost
    His strength to not alter his focus, equity in opportunity not just moneyed
    Interest was buried by his marijuana support . He was not one
    dementional and would not have sacrificed his public good goals for one issue.
    In platforms and debates his ideas where factually based and supported
    by reasonable means of achievements. We let the powers in charge keep
    Keep a true voice out of their domain and we let them.
    In our thoughts
    In our prayers
    In our hearts

24. We the people
    11:28 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

An opportunity for a person of integrity, compassion , vision and
    personal courage to serve in the all of the publics interest is lost
    His strength to not alter his focus, equity in opportunity not just moneyed
    Interest was buried by his marijuana support . He was not one
    dementional and would not have sacrificed his public good goals for one issue.
    In platforms and debates his ideas where factually based and supported
    by reasonable means of achievements. We let the powers in charge keep a true voice out of their domain. Same old story, same old song
    In our thoughts
    In our prayers
    In our hearts

25. Jimi Garden of Eden
    11:53 am January 4, 2012 Permalink

24. Well done…all true…

26. RIP
    12:20 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

My wife is great friends with his daughter. Our prayers go out to his family and friends.

27. tyrus
    12:23 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Several years ago I spoke to him at a political fundraiser at Turfway Park. I relayed to him that I was a cancer survivor and greatly appreciated his openness on trying to change the laws on marijuana. It’s a sad day as a sit here wondering who has the courage to continue his message. The minority continues to dictate to the majority but I pray that during my life time this will change.

28. Eloy
    12:28 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

What a guy.

29. Andrew
    12:32 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

I dated a girl who was best friends with his niece Kate, had a thanksgiving dinner with him in Louisville in 2002 he was a funny guy, kept that dinner very interesting and light, and did he ever love his weed, I didn’t really know much about him then but learned he was a really a wild one and a good guy. Rest in peace Gatewood.

30. Jarweed
    12:39 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

21, seevic, I also voted for Gatewood in ’91, and that was also the last time I participated in governor’s election before moving. I remember meeting Gatewood for the first time at a campaign rally in Woodland Park the spring before the ’91 Democratic primary. I was a student then living on Maxwell Street. I still have the campaign paper he handed me at the rally. Gatewood mostly talked about funding education by growing hemp. Our precinct, the Aylesford Precinct, went Galbraith in the Democratic primary that May — the only precinct in the state to do so — I’m proud to say… Gatewood always said about hemp that there is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world, and that is an idea whose time has come … People like Gatewood don’t really die, they can’t because they live on.

31. kentuckycarter
    12:57 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

I was good friends with his daughter Abby for a while in college. Lost touch over the years though. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family. Also with the people of KY, for losing an inspiration.

32. B
    1:30 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

GATEWEED!

33. Threadee McThreadThread
    1:50 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

I propose Gatewood Day in Kentucky (it has to be April 20th, right?): one day each year where everybody gets together, rolls fatties for Mr. Galbraith and actually uses their brains when thinking about politics instead of blinding yelling, “Go Blue,” or, “Go Red” ‘cuz that’s what Mommy and Daddy taught you…

34. Real Cats Fan
    1:56 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Now who the heck can I vote for? It sure isn’t going to be for the puppets in either major party!

RIP, Gatewood. The Commonwealth has lost perhaps the only honest man seeking public office, and a true gentleman.

35. Doubting Thomas
    2:13 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

If I were running Frankfurt the flags would be at half staff the rest of this month to honor this great Kentuckian. What a great soul. A true believer in free speech and personal liberties. God Bless

36. Plain Truth
    2:24 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

My two favorite quotes by Gatewood, when repeatedly asked on WHAS while running for Attorney General about remarks made by Terry Miners, about his involvement with marijuana “I will whip Terry Miners ass down the street naked”. In the last time I spoke to Gatewood about how it was going, his response “Still unindicted friend, still unindicted”….. now how can you not love a man like that.

37. yargamel
    3:54 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Like Ron Paul, even if you disagree with his politics, you have to respect the integrity of the man. He said what he meant and made every debate he was invited to interesting–cutting through the normal politi-speak with his consistent, ongoing message.

38. buzzard
    5:43 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

I had the good fortune to meet him several times. What a great man Gatewood was. You could tell during the Gubernatorial debates that he was the only honest man there. RIP Gatewood. You will be missed.

39. chad leb
    7:25 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

you got respect a man who stands for what he thinks is right even against the govt, law enforcement , status quo. Even if you didnt agree with his oppinions you have to respect he never sold out. He stayed TRUE TO HIMSELF and the people that beleived in him. Politicians should take note. RIP Gatewood you will be missed.

40. TheRealDeal
    7:26 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky will never be the same.

41. Hard Hittin' CAT
    8:41 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

RIP Gatewood. I respect the heck out of that man. If I hadn’t voted for him in November, neither of the other men deserved my vote.

42. catfan68
    10:21 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

God Bless You Gatewood…you will be missed. Let’s keep the family in our thoughts and prayers.

43. AdubRowe
    10:28 pm January 4, 2012 Permalink

I worked with Gatewood’s daughter, Molly for 4 years. She and her entire family are some of the kindest, most genuine people I have ever encountered. I had the pleasure of meeting Gatewood several times when he would come in to visit her. He was one of those people who I believe never met a stranger. He made everyone feel like an old friend, and was truly a Kentucky gentleman. He greeted everyone with a smile, spoke his mind, and was never anything but 100% himself. He will be missed by many in Kentucky. My thoughts and prayers are with Molly and the rest of his family.

44. We the people
    12:51 pm January 6, 2012 Permalink

Garden of Eden Jimi
    We are not yet all lost, ideas still live