Gary Parrish Weighs in on the End of the Indiana/Kentucky Series

At this point it feels like we have heard just about every opinion possible on the ending of the Kentucky/Indiana series. The decision has been made. But the opinions from the national media continue to trickle in one by one. Late yesterday afternoon, Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com included the Kentucky/Indiana series in 3 of his 5 “Five for the Weekend” notes. Parrish brings up a few interesting points on whether or not the issue of doing what’s best for the sport, or what’s best for the individual coach or team is the most important.

2. But shouldn’t coaches just do what’s best for the sport?

In theory, yes. But that’s not practical because most humans– not just most coaches– most humans– are conditioned to do what’s best for them. If what’s best for them also happens to benefit a greater cause, terrific. But people tend to look out for No. 1 , and that’s why pretty much any sport without a commissioner in place to oversee things is troubled.

Parrish throws in a quip about Cal’s new contract extension and how he doesn’t believe it will have any effect on whether or not Calipari listens if the Knicks come calling in a few weeks. I disagree with him there, but Parrish is entitled to his opinion. To read more of Gary Parrish’s article and opinions, click here.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

33 Comments for Gary Parrish Weighs in on the End of the Indiana/Kentucky Series

1. Ridge Runner
    8:04 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Its simple to me. Through all the analyzing, I’m surprised this “in your face” finality hasn’t surfaced:

IU walked out of the talks first. Thus, there is no game!

Look, through all the back and forth on where it should be played, the one priority would be (one would think) is the game should continue -even if it’s overseas! Hell, IU walked out and the damn thing was still going to be in Indiana.

So again…cut thru the chase & the consequence that mattered most was lost because IU walked out of the talks.

2. Hoosier Red
    8:09 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Shut up ridge runner and all of you ky hillbillies can suck it. You were afraid to lose to your daddy and you know it. scumm

3. Walden Schmidt
    8:15 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Hey, Hoosier Red, do I detect a little jealousy there. You’ll be OK. Your sheep are waiting.

4. Hoosier Red
    8:19 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Walden you know all about the sheep. I have been a IU fan for many years and you stupid hillbillies are always running your mouth. You have Obama in bed with you and you think your gods gift. We get better in basketball and now you are afraide to play us. scumm

5. Hoosier Red
    8:21 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

I wish d miller would have had his arm stepped on when we smacked you in assembly hall. If I was a little closer, I would have.

6. Dean
    8:22 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Oh, you just admitted you want to hurt UK players. CLASSIEST FAN BASE OF ALL TIME

7. Walden Schmidt
    8:24 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Hoosier Red, are you Hoo Hoo’s baby daddy ? BA AAAAAA BA AAAA. Both of you need to get out there now.

8. Dean
    8:24 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Al Qaeda > Hostile IU fans

9. Wild Turkey 101
    8:24 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Even Calipari can’t save the Knicks. He’s staying put!

10. Hoosier Red
    8:28 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

All you hillbillies are same. You think your big with your talk and smugness. You don’t know your team-Gilchrist is not going 2nd, Jones doesn’t show up and cries see him 20th, Lamb is soft and Teague is d league so both go 2nd rd. d miller is a wuss and won’t be drafted. Come see how a real team plays hilljacks. oh thats right you are afraid of assembly.

11. Manbearpig
    8:30 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Not sure if Hoosier is trolling….or just an idiot

12. Ridge Runner
    8:31 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Oh boy…somebody left the gates open at the zoo in Indiana.

13. Walden Schmidt
    8:32 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Dammit, Hoosier Red quit all the bull s#@# and get out there and F#$k that sheep.

14. manbearpig
    8:36 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Im just goinf to leave this riigghhhttt here
    all time series record UK 34- IU-23

and how did the tourney work out for you again Hoosier?

15. Hoosier Red
    8:38 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

man bear or pig: take away your wins that will be vacated over last 3 years, take away the wins you paid your players even with pitino, take away the wins rupp the racist had and see who is leading scumm

16. Hoosier Red
    8:39 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

oh and coach knight owned joey hall. hahahaha

17. kramer
    8:42 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

See heres the thing I listened to Drew Deener, I live in Louisville, on the radio and he said Rick P said oh yea we want to play IU!! I say whatever, why don’t UL play them now??I hope they play them and get killed by IU and fans rush the court and tackle coaches and players!!! That said I do believe UK-IU series should continue, I mean why not?? I hate hearing UL fans ragging on something that isn’t even related to them!!!

18. Bob Knight
    8:48 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

15/16) Get off that computer and git in here and shave my ass!

19. jean paul
    9:02 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Hello IU, what is wrong with playing at Lukas oil Stadium in Indianapolis? We guess you cannot beat anyone outside that tiny assembly hall

20. Manbearpig
    9:02 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Lol…sure sure…btw Hoosier I live in Indiana and the best thing about it is I-65 on the way out. There are way more rednecks and potential Jerry springer guests here then KY

21. Bigcat4453
    9:08 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

It’s a shame that TC feared Coach CAl would pull recruits out of Indy. I don’t blame him though.. It’s also a shame IU was afraid to play the reigning NATIONAL CHAMPS this up coming season.

22. kes
    9:09 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

16. shows how phucking stupid you are! joe b. ended bobbys perfect season! HAHAHAHAHAHA

23. Bigcat4453
    9:11 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

Unless IU is playing in front of high school sized crowds they become fearful and don’t perform very well. IU probably won’t play 2 non-conf games outside of A$$wipe hall this year!

24. Thoughts of an IU Fan...
    9:41 pm May 5, 2012 Permalink

UK loses to us in December, then they come back and beat us in March – when it really counts in the Sweet 16. We could accept a neutral court challenge and try and give them payback next season, but I’m afraid we may lose AGAIN. Unlike UK, we don’t have it in us to try and get revenge. I think I’d rather just abandon the series after that offensive clinic they put on us. I need to go. If anyone needs me, I’ll be admiring old film from the last time we won a National Championship. Hoo Hoo Hoosier Daddy? John Calipari.

25. WestWorld
    6:57 am May 6, 2012 Permalink

Gary Parrish and Jerry Tipton must have gone to the same journalism school.

26. stevie
    7:41 am May 6, 2012 Permalink

Who gives a flying fork if we play IU or not? I men who the h-ll, or what the h-ll, is Indiana? The only reason that this is receiving any attention at all is because UK is involved.

27. bluebiscuit
    8:21 am May 6, 2012 Permalink

Gary Parrish looks like Adam Sandler.

28. Levi
    8:23 am May 6, 2012 Permalink

IU does not deserve to play us. When IU starts policing their own behavior then they may deserve to play quality opponents.

29. Shag
    9:21 am May 6, 2012 Permalink

Thanks Hoosier Red for validating what we have all known for years and for showing and IU fans true colors. IU not UK chose to end the series! We whipped your ass when it counted last year and that is what counts not a non con home game for you in December. IU fans ruined the series last December and that is the facts!

30. HOO HOO
    9:53 am May 6, 2012 Permalink

Whipped your ass? You mean a game that was tied at the half and was close inside the last four minutes? Typical ignorant, uneducated UK fan

#vac8

31. stevie
    11:32 am May 6, 2012 Permalink

Hoo Hoo, you rhyme with Doo Doo.

32. jjbalaan
    12:47 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Gary Parrish is ugly like Jay Cutler.

33. BigBlue
    4:38 pm May 6, 2012 Permalink

Parrish is a turd…who listens to these guys’ ‘analysis’