Gary Parrish Latest Example of Media Obsession with Calipari

we

I honestly thought that the national media’s actions concerning their collective obsession with John Calipari couldn’t go much more off the reservation. While every college basketball reporter continues to seek out the silver bullet that will derail the Calipari train, I was under the assumption that all such attempts would at least follow the basic tenets of reporting and rely, at least somewhat, on some correlation to facts. Yes, Pete Thamel’s reports have more factual holes than Casey Anthony’s alibi, but they at least attempt to deal in the realm of actual events, rather than total raw speculation. I believed that in the future we could at least rely on reporters to deal with findings, instead of throwing something against the wall and seeing what would stick.

I was wrong. Gary Parrish of CBS Sports has taken a step off the deep end of the Calipari obsession pool once again, this time under the cover of a “story” about Freshman UK player Anthony Davis. I won’t link the story (hits just encourage them), but if it is important to you to find it, feel free. The title of the column on his blog is as follows:

FAIR OR NOT, KENTUCKY FRESHMAN DAVIS MUST FACE “SCANDAL.”

The title itself illustrates the passive-aggressive nature of Parrish’s article to come. He wants to distance himself from any real accusation (and thus responsibility) and instead seeks cover by arguing he is only dealing with an issue outside of him, “whether fair or not.” What follows is a regurgitation of the most ridiculous allegation yet given towards John Calipari, the throwaway line by a Chicago Sun-Times HIGH SCHOOL REPORTER that there were rumors Anthony Davis was given $200,000 to come to Kentucky. The reporter cited no facts, no accompanying evidence and instead threw a “rumor” against the wall with absolutely no corresponding support. The Calipari haters of course jumped on it at the time, citing the rumor while taking cowardly cover in the supposed journalistic reputation of the Chicago Sun-Times organization. Many in the national media criticized the story, but some embraced it and it became a talking point. It was a big deal for a few days and then, basically went away.

Now we are nearly eight months later and Parrish decides to start the story all over again. He writes:

What makes him most interesting though — besides the growth spurt in the summer of 2009 that transformed him from a 6-3 guard into a 6-10 forward — is that Davis is the only Calipari recruit to ever be publicly tied by a mainstream media outlet to a recruiting scandal before enrolling. That might surprise some given Calipari’s reputation among most college basketball fans. But the truth is that the NCAA never has charged Calipari or any of his programs with a major recruiting violation, and no major website or newspaper had ever alleged serious cheating until the Chicago Sun-Times staff writer Michael O’Brien reported last August that Davis’ father had negotiated a deal worth $200,000 to send his son to Kentucky.

With whom did Davis’ father negotiate this alleged deal?

O’Brien never went that far.

His report, even if true, was thin.

Unbelievably, Parrish writes this as if it is in good faith. He calls the O’Brien rumor a “report”, even though O’Brien never showcased any evidence and to his (minimal) credit, never suggested that it was the truth. Parrish then goes farther to suggest that this report “even if true, was thin.” Even if true, it was thin? Only if by thin you mean nonexistent. The Chicago Sun-Times article wasn’t even a report…it was the recitation of a rumor. My guess is that O’Brien himself wouldn’t even call the article a report, but Parrish has elevated it to a “thin” report and has left open the possibility it was true. He leaves the reader believing that a major newspaper reported Calipari paid a player, when it did no such a thing. Could that be any more irresponsible?

I continue to be utterly flabbergasted by the lengths some reporters will go to bring down their Calipari white whale. I am not sure if they have forgotten their journalistic standards, or if they simply bend them due to their desire to make news and get clicks on their website. But no matter the reason, they seem to forget whatever level of responsibility they previously had in their attempts to take shots at Calipari/Kentucky. Gary Parrish finished his article by writing:

He’s going to be phenomenal on the court, no question. But whether his stickback dunks and blocked shots in college are forever overshadowed by allegations of impropriety remains undetermined, proof being how many of the questions Davis faced in Ohio last week were about exactly that, fair or not.

Parrish implies that questions about this rumor will dog Anthony Davis during his entire time at Kentucky. No one on earth likely reads more about Kentucky basketball than I do. In the past 4-6 months, I honestly can’t recall one article being written about the Davis rumor or it being brought up at any point. Now, with little to write, and time on his hands, Parrish throws the grenade back on the table and asks if it will “overshadow” his UK career.

The sad thing is that Parrish knows it will not. Instead, he wrote the story as a passive-aggressive way to get the Davis rumor back into the public conversation and give him an article that could stir up controversy. In the process, he has elevated an ill-advised published rumor into a “report” and suggested to those that don’t know the story in-depth that Calipari has been accused by a major news organization of paying a player. Journalism may not be dead, but if you just read Gary Parrish tonight, you might believe it.

I wonder if allegations that Gary’s hair gel has penetrated his skull and is affecting his intellect and sense of journalistic ethics are true…FAIR OR NOT, his writing career is in danger of being overshadowed and he will have to face them.

Article written by Matt Jones

72 Comments for Gary Parrish Latest Example of Media Obsession with Calipari

1. Sexington
    11:07 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Parrish has gayboy hair

2. mocha
    11:08 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Makes me sick.

3. mocha
    11:09 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Parrish looks like Jay Cutler with spiky hair.

4. Riley
    11:09 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

F*CK GARY PARRISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ParrishneedsaRuppticket
    11:11 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Anybody got UK basketball tickets? Your Senior Associate AD has told me i am not welcome next year at Rupp.

6. ParrishneedsaRuppticket
    11:13 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

And yes it is me Gary. I laugh at you whiny UK fans. I will be at the UL/UK game and im buying my own ticket. Hopefully it doesn’t cost me $200,000 to get in.

7. tom9698
    11:14 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

I’d like to meet him in an alley !!

8. Waitin' on 8
    11:14 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Why would Parrish rehash an old “story” when there is no new evidence or information regarding the “story.” Parrish is simply creating smoke without fire.

9. PerryStevensonIsntWalkingThruThatDoor
    11:15 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

There’s a thin report out there that says Gary Parrish actually pays an uninformed middle school drop-out to write his articles. I’m not saying I have proof; I’m just saying there’s word circulating and it would be a crying shame if it were true and his bosses found out. It wouldn’t be fair to his wife, his son and his dog if he lost his cushy job of churning out ignorant articles.

I wish I could prove this or disprove it, but I just don’t have enough evidence. Just thought I’d put it out there.

10. Ricky
    11:15 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Anthony Davis says shut up, Parrish.

11. Ya Know
    11:16 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

He looks like a lesbian..

12. catcrawler
    11:17 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Beat Down

13. HeadOfTheGame
    11:20 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Let’s put Parrish and Doyel in a cage fight! Would love to Doyel not his frat boy faux hawk off his head!

14. HeadOfTheGame
    11:21 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

* knock

15. Sinbad
    11:25 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

16. Owen
    11:28 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Good stuff, Matt. As much as I want to try to like Parrish for appearing friendly with you, I’ve never thought much of him as a reporter. Occasionally he’ll break something 4 or 5 seconds before it happens because he has a source somewhere but really, that’s hardly valuable.

17. MN UK FAN
    11:29 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt you have to get him on the radio and confront him about this!!!!

18. Uk hemingway
    11:30 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Give me his email please. Would like to start filling up his email inbox with pleasant thoughts.

19. bmw1023
    11:32 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Excellent post Mr. Jones….articulate and true. Something Parrish is a stranger to.

20. Irishhooliganx
    11:38 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Looks like Gary wants a hummer from Pitino too.
    Hey Matt, did Drew send you the letter I wrote to
    Forde? I thought it was at least worth a laugh.

21. David
    11:38 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

At some point some hillbilly from eastern ky with nothing to live for is going to mess up one of these writers.

22. Zach Morris
    11:38 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

DeWayne Peevy not exactly speaking softly, but definitely carrying a big stick. Love to see it when the administration recognizes the blatant disrespect thrown our way.

23. Shawon
    11:39 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Gary Parrish (who I like aside from crap like this) and Coach Cal must have some history from Cal’s Memphis days. Matt I wish you could reveal what you know about that some day on your radio show, maybe as early as Wednesday.

I think I heard Parrish say to you one time that Calipari ripped him many times when Parrish was covering Memphis for the Commercial-Appeal (not much “Appealing” about that rag) and wondering if there was more behind the scenes that led to him writing what he did tonight…

24. Shawon
    11:42 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

#22 OH Napier is on it.

25. Big Blue Nation
    11:47 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

THIS IS HOW THE FALSE LEGENDS OF RUPP BEGAN, BUT, NOW WE CAN TRACE THE GARBAGE BACK TO THE SEWER!

26. hmmmm
    11:48 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

“But whether his stickback dunks and blocked shots in college are forever overshadowed by allegations of impropriety remains undetermined, proof being how many of the questions Davis faced in Ohio last week were about exactly that, fair or not”……. If I am reading that correctly, according to Parrish, he isn’t the only one in the media still thinking about the “scandal.”

27. Zach Morris
    11:52 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

So, we aren’t looking at a triumvirate anymore are we? Isn’t it something like a dodecumvirate at this point? CAL DOESN’T WEIGH AS MUCH AS A DUCK! BURN HIM!

28. RondosDribblingHand
    11:55 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

I’m guessing Parrish won’t be back on the radio show any time soon. Just replace him with fake Barney or Larry Orton and I’ll be more than happy.

29. Blowb
    11:57 pm July 12, 2011 Permalink

Gary Parrish sits on a phone book to see over the steering wheel.

30. Brandon
    12:03 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

Is that Chaz Bono?

31. tfordstyle
    12:03 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

still laughing….just wanted to say …. BOOM ROASTED

32. Calipari'sInYourEar
    12:08 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

#11 – Ya Know – When I saw his picture I thought the same thing. He does look like a lesbian.

It’s like Rachel Maddow meets Rosie O’Donnel

33. yaboy
    12:12 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

#13 While I agree that Parrish is a douche, I am embarrassed that you think a fraternity man would ever be caught dead with that hair. No respectable fraternity man would have a hair style that screams I like penis.

34. snoopaloop
    12:29 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

Not at all trying to defend Parrish but I think you missed the mark on this one, Jones. Parrish constructed this article based on the fact that the media was asking questions regarding the “scandal” just last week in Ohio. While there may not be any articles being written, the media certainly has not forgotten about said scandal. I viewed his article as a reminder that the media has not forgotten the rumored scandal as opposed to a Calipari witch hunt campaign.

35. Calipari'sInYourEar
    12:39 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

Gary Parrish has followed the trend of hair since the early 1980’s. He’s been ahead of the curve with each switch of style as it migrated from the bowl cut to the butt cut.

He was first in his high school class with a mullet in 1984, and spun that off into a summer of 1985 rat tail that had people at the state fair in awe.

His move to the big time was when he decided to do the modern update of the reverse mullet, with business in the back and party in the front, otherwise known as the faux hawk.

Since every 14 year old in the country has already moved to the faux hawk as their dew of choice, Gary Parrish is ready to unveil his trend champion ways once again…

Introducing Gary Parrish in the Fall of 2011, just in time for the ESPYs…

36. DustinUK
    12:54 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

Honestly, I like Parrish for the most part. During the season I listen to his radio show down in Memphis online and it’s funny and well done.

However, if he’s wanting for a story and doesn’t have much material he isn’t shy about throwing a weak UK story out to fill a column. I think he’s more lazy than out to get Cal and/or UK. Btw, he and MJ have apparently had quite a falling out. I’d like to hear the behind the scenes story on that.

37. Free Gary Parrish
    12:55 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

You all are a bunch of whiny babies led by the whiniest of all babies. And I’m using “babies” instead of another word beginning with the letter “B”.

38. Matt Jones
    1:17 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

#36 the “media” asking the questions was Gary

39. UKGoBigBlue
    1:21 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

In the narcissistic TMZ, Facebook, Twitter world of look at me look at me pay attention to me existence, none of these idiots are journalist. It’s no longer about reporting the truth or news, it’s about stating an opinion or believe, getting clicks for advertisers, and getting stupid people to believe it’s the news.

I’d be really curious to know what college Parrish attended or if he even went to college. I wonder why his Bio doesn’t state where he attended college.

40. snarkster
    2:36 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

Puck the Garrish Fary

41. Lincoln park
    3:03 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

Guilty until proven innocent: pays my bills. Regards, douche bag

42. BigBlueOwnsYou
    6:08 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

I actually believe Cal does have some of his recruits “delivered” to him. I’m not saying he is paying them, but I believe someone is giving some of the kids something to come here. Cal will never get caught and there will never be any proof. Coach is way too many layers between himself and the players and their families. I am a UK fan and a UK grad. But, I am also a realist.

43. Hood's Missing Chromosone
    6:24 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

BBN says, ‘Whaaaaaaa…they’re talking about me!!! Stop it! Its not fair! Quit picking on me Whaaaaaaa!!!!!’

Get over your collective selves, you big babbies.

44. IceCube
    6:25 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

I must admit, I did think the whole Davis recruitment was odd. Not saying anything shady went down. But I remember Davis had a list of 4 schools going into the Lebron Camp. After that camp, he cancelled all his visits and had a whole new list of schools. I know World Wide Wes was there. Maybe he convinced Davis to change the list. The new list contained only Nike schools. This doesn’t mean Davis did anything wrong, it just looks bad.

45. I am a Babbie
    6:43 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

Read the facts Dude. This is not a knee-jerk reaction by the BBN. Get past your missing chromosome and try harder…

46. Bfrey
    6:43 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

Chicago Sun-Times has a journalistic reputation?

47. Francis the Talking Mule
    6:58 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

Loved the last paragraph Matt!

48. mgcat
    7:01 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

Gary Parrish = Internet Journalist HACK!!!!
    (Or as I like to call iJism!)

49. LindaS
    8:04 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

I think after this whole story broke several months ago some sort of investigation was done. I also believe that Mr. Davis threatened to sue over the allegations. He can add Parrish to the suit as far as I am concerned. Guess besides wanting Thamel neutered wlll have to add Parrish to the group. I wonder if they give discounts, 2 for 1?

50. Powerlifter165
    8:15 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

What a c0ck $ucker!!

51. Mamakin
    8:16 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

please stop writing about these guys. That is why they write this garbage to get a reaction. At least you didn’t link it! well done!
    Again. We know we’re on top again because of crap like this. Enjoy it. Would you rather be a Billy G team and have no media acknowledge us?

52. Chris
    8:16 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

I thought Parish was UK neutral, but it’s suspicious he brings this up during a recruiting period.

53. ATB (Always True Blue)
    8:50 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

OK, I read the article. I didn’t see anything that was either right or wrong, good or bad. I think he brings up something that is likely true. The media is going to bring this up this season and he probably has seen those questions already starting at the camps he’s been attending. Fair or Not, we in the US are now Guilty until Proven innocent.

54. Bastard Yak
    9:07 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

#44, if you can’t see why hordes of kids want to play for calipari, you’re as dumb as gary parrish.

55. Well pilgrim, I gotta tell ya
    9:20 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

I think Parrish has been obsessing about NJT…way too much similarity in the prose. Fuggetaboudit – NJT you are not!

56. Mark
    9:29 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

If thats the case, isnt the precedent already set with Newton??

57. justsaying
    9:43 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

wasn’t matt jones fired by cbssports.com?

58. Kwildcat
    9:57 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

what a POS, Parrish. Does anybody know if Davis has been close to WWW ???????

59. justsaying
    10:01 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

just glad matt jones has never posted anything purely for page views

60. Ignorant
    10:12 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

When will the Cal haters finally realize that the only “paying” of players is in the form of second-to-none facilities, worlds largest and most supportive college basketball fanbase, unmatched exposure and coverage, fine southern women, having lexington as a great collegeTOWN where players like liggins/carruth…eh not carruth, can get away from their troubled youth. and for being a ‘players’ coach, Cal treats all players, from Cousins and Knight, to his players at memphis genuinely like family, looking out for their best interest…. And the last obvious questions for our top tier recruits….they know they dont need to be bought knowing that after Cal is through with them they will have the skill and work ethic to succeed in the NBA… I think Davis/others know that $200,000 now is something to laugh at knowing that in 1 or 2 years they can probably add 1 or 2 zeros to that, while being in the best place possible to win immediately…… Done….sorry i get worked up on this like everyone else in BBN. GO CATS, GO CAL, GO BIG BLUE NATION!!!

61. Blueneck
    10:26 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

It isn’t stated enough that the journalism/blogger world is nearly void of morals. And then in great irony they like to go attact others for morality issues and consider the truth irrelevant. Just like some players/coaches will do anything to make a name for themselves the media is no different.

62. BobKnight'sAbusedChair
    11:31 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

How can people take anyone serious with a damn haircut that looks like a half-assed Mo-Hawk? His hair is worse than Mr. Jones.

63. Jones Returns
    11:33 am July 13, 2011 Permalink

people should get sued for this sort of shit…i really don’t see how they don’t. Don’t give me the freedom of speech bullshit either because it’s not freedom of speech when it’s libel defamation. it’s against the law and it happens everyday in journalism

64. snarkster
    12:25 pm July 13, 2011 Permalink

Suits for Libel/Slander are very tough to win and that’s why so few are filed. The better options are for UK to apply pressure to the bosses of the worst offender, for us to not give the jerks hits and just set the record straight through other sources.

65. Kevin
    12:33 pm July 13, 2011 Permalink

Honestly people, you’re too easily stirred, and way too defensive. I’m from Memphis and bleed Kentucky blue, have since birth. Gary praises Cal more than any national talking head other than Dick Vitale. Constantly, almost every day on his show in Memphis, reiterates the fact that Cal would be the first coach he would take in NCAAB, period, point blank, end of story. What’s most fascinating to me, and the reason I’ve stopped commenting on stories like this, is all the vitriol spit towards Cal and Memphis when he was here, and how that all seemed to disappear when he came to Camelot.

You’re too defensive. This comes with the territory, we knew that when we brought Cal on board. Deal with it and grow up, you all act like you’re 5 and make it embarrassing at times to be a UK fan!

Have fun, now you can all spend the rest of your days telling me what a poser and fake I am.

Just remember, once you regress to bashing a guy’s haircut and any other personal attacks, you’ve lost objectivity, and therefore lost your argument.

66. Calipari'sInYourEar
    2:34 pm July 13, 2011 Permalink

#67 – Kevin – So you have a faux hawk. Get in line.

67. Bourbonella
    2:58 pm July 13, 2011 Permalink

Lawyer up, Davises.

68. rainman
    3:10 pm July 13, 2011 Permalink

Kevin your first sentence say’s it all!!
    Have you been dining with Patino?

69. kyblue
    4:40 pm July 13, 2011 Permalink

invite him to a UK game and some “fun” interaction after the game with some UK fans

70. erendale
    6:34 pm July 13, 2011 Permalink

Gary Parrish + Orange = oompa loompa ? or is it just me ?