Gary Cole’s Thursday News and Views

gary cole

I remember the first time I saw the trailer for “Office Space” on television. The idea of a movie made by the creators of “Beavis and Butthead” seemed awesome and I was legitimately curious as to how it would be. Then the preview came on and the focus was on one joke…when the consultants ask the protagonist if he has missed any work and he responds “I wouldn’t say I have been missing it.” Everyone cracks up in the shot and I thought the movie had to be silly garbage. Boy was I wrong. Today is the 55th birthday of one of the stars of that cult classic, Gary Cole. Cole of course plays Lumbergh, which if you have seen the movie, can only be followed by Lumburgh…well you know the line. Whether he is talking TPS reports or playing “catch-up” this weekend, Lumbergh is one of the great abhorrent characters in a comedy and part of what makes the movie completely rewatchable. Cole himself is one of those actors that seems to pop up all over the place. He had an extended run in “The West Wing” as the Vice President and some time on “Entourage” as Ari’s troubled friend/fellow agent. He wouldn’t really classify as a star, but if you are a certain age (like mine), you almost certainly recognize his face. So remember, next Friday is hawaiian shirt day, so if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans. That’d be great.

To the news!

— The pessimism around the UK football program is at an all-time high, but there are still a full nine games to go. And the football train keeps rolling this week in the Swamp versus Gainesville. The Cats are now a 25 point underdog and the Power Sweep betting guide I get has Florida covering as the second best bet of the week in college football. So it could get ugly. But that doesn’t mean that there isn’t hope. The Cats are going to be going with starting RB Jonathan George (who looked good on Saturday) and Florida’s coaches have said they are concerned about the UK passing attack. What I am most concerned about is whether this team can maintain a semblance of unity and focus going forward if this game gets ugly. Even though the season seems to have already gone for three months, it is actually only three weeks old and the Cats need to not collapse in what could be a dismal SEC season. Losing in Gainesville is no shame…but we can’t have a Spurrier era whooping the likes of which we thought we had left in the past. But why do I feel like that is where we are headed?

— As we discussed on the radio a bit today however, we are hearing good things on the long-term issue of football funding. A number of different sources have told KSR that proposals are being worked on to send to the Ky Legislature in January that would include a MAJOR football facility renovation. If you remember, Kentucky Senate President David Williams said on my show this summer, that if such a proposal was given, he would likely support it. And my sources tell me that based on those comments, work has been done. The major hurdle will be with the University President, who must agree to make the itemized football funding request (which could include close to $100 million in bonding capability) as part of the overall University request. This is still a hurdle but the important takeaway is that a major football renovation is closer now that it has likely ever been in the past. Cross your fingers.

— Big Blue Madness Campout is underway and early indications are that the crowd will be the largest in history. 480 tents were up by mid-day today and more are on the way. Usually the night to be there is on Thursday night and that is when KSR will be in attendance. Drew and I will be out taking pictures and getting ready for the big Stone Cold Willow versus Nerlens Noel game at 9:30 pm on the Blue Courts. I love Campout for a variety of reasons, but mostly because it is so UK basketball and Big Blue Nation. We campout for a practice, to get tickets we could probably just get online, because it is just what we do. There is no rational explanation beyond loving Kentucky basketball and the feeling of the event. Every year I go, I have fun…and early indications are that this one has been great so far. Plus the guy in the Yellow Tent finally was able to get it to stand up. If that isn’t the basis for celebration, I don’t know what is. If you are there, try to get one of the KSR/Fan Outfitters shirts above. Below is a line waiting for them today, but there should be others floating around on Thursday as well.

— In the last three days, John Calipari has made two new recruiting offers. 2013 Forwards Marcus Lee and Tyler Roberson have both been visited by John Calipari and given offers by the coach in person according to reports. That makes the total number of 2013 offers (not counting Andrew Wiggins who is still technically a 2013 player) at 8, with the Harrison Twins, Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, James Young and Aaron Gordon the others. Jabari Parker is likely now off the board, meaning that Kentucky is looking at 7 offers outstanding. I expect that UK gets at least 5 of those 7 players and when added to Derek Willis (or Andrew Wiggins), ends up with the best class in college basketball again. With Parker off the board, expect UK to now take two big men, and maybe three…there is some concern that now Willie Cauley-Stein is getting such rave reviews that HE TOO could be a one and done. So adding these offers is probably a smart response to that #KentuckyEffect problem.

— Can someone help this man find his long lost love?

KSR received this e-mail from Kevin:

I met the lovely young lady at the Final 4 in New Orleans. We hit it off but then got divided and I never saw her again.
Dear KSR, Will you make my dream come by 1 letting me be a fan of the day and 2 posting this pic that might
lead to her seeing it which may lead to her contacting me which may lead to me being contacted by her which
may lead to a wonderful marraige made in Big Blue Heaven?  Ty for your consideration.

Help Kevin out.

— Finally, prayers go out to Reese in the picture below. A couple of years ago, he sent in this picture of him dressed up as Oscar Combs and a signature UK cowboy hat. Reese has recently been diagnosed with leukemia and is currently undergoing chemotheraphy treatments. He is a huge UK fan and we want him to know that the thoughts and prayers of the Big Blue Nation are with him.

More tomorrow…

Article written by Matt Jones

68 Comments for Gary Cole’s Thursday News and Views

1. UKSupporter76
    11:03 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Harvey Birdman FTW!

2. catcrawler
    11:13 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Hang in there Reese! Survivor of Lymphoma for 12 years now, you can do this.

3. Pioneer
    11:19 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

No way that dude picked up that chick at the Final
    Four. Just sayin….

4. Ukgrad
    11:23 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

THIS IS AWESOME. she’s going to laugh her balls off when she sees this.

5. Riff Barker
    11:24 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Hey, I’m thinking of driving 8 hours to Lexington to make sure my daughter and I get tickets to Midnight [Big Blue] Madness because every year I’ve tried online I’ve gotten skunked. So here is the question: does everybody who is in the tent city by 2:00 p.m. on Friday (when the control cards are handed out) get tickets? I’d hate to drive up there and get screwed notwithstanding a 16 hour round trip drive. Thanks!

6. TravisC
    11:31 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Gary Cole also plays Ricky Bobby’s dad Reese, a semi-professional racecar driver and amateur tattoo artist.

7. KyGuy10
    11:47 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

lol at this dude thinking anything other than pure embarrassment/comedy will come out of trying to reconnect with her. I want it to happen though simply because I know this girl and know it will be hilariously embarrassing to her.

8. Chris
    11:49 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

I agree with will totten.

9. Bobby Petrino
    11:54 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Listen honey dump the loser and get with a real man. I’ll give you a job with the football team next year. Email me at [email protected].

10. KyGuy10
    11:55 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

I wasn’t down there with her but I’m sure she was. #7 said it best.

11. CatCrazy
    11:56 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

Check out this UK sports blog for more on the campout and more!

12. iucansuckabigblue.....
    11:57 pm September 19, 2012 Permalink

That might be one of the best videos ever…. Lol. I love he completely does not care who is around and she kinda knows ??? Screw this fight…. Come here giiiirrrrlllll. Classic.

Hang in there lil guy.

Protect our team in the dirty swamp. Remember, win or lose we are still Wildcats. Its sometimes forgotten in the past few weeks.

Go Big Blue!!! Come here giiiiirrrrrrlllll…

13. Ponderosa
    12:13 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

always wondered what became of Skippy from Family Ties…..glad to see he’s alive and well in the Quarter…..

14. get a clue fella
    12:34 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

i have so much i want to say about this guy, i don’t know where to start. A) this guy outkicked his coverage when she acknowledged that he existed. anything beyond her saying hello to him, he should be thanking his lucky stars and looking back fondly on the 15 minutes she alloted him. but tracking her down? bad move. B) whats up with the Elvis meets 1980s Johnny Depp hair? You look like an extra from West Side Story bro C) she only hung out with you for the 3 drinks you bought her and #7 is right, she probably saw this picture on KSR and immediately began turning her whole life around.

other than that, i love the matching MKG jerseys…your right, a match made in heaven!

15. tyson
    12:43 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Good luck Reese. Hang tough!

16. Tailgate Police
    12:52 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Video of the dancers is concerning? Can we get another angle of the dancers? I hope someone has an end shot to see if the kid finished. I feeled robbed by not get a chance to see how it all ended.

17. Matt Jones' Barber
    12:53 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

How is that video not getting more attention? Yeah the guy reaching out of his league is funny, but what about the other set of beer goggles in this post? I watched it twice.

18. Burt Reynolds
    12:58 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

My plane was delayed in Chicago on New Years Day and Gary Cole waited at the gate with me. He and his wife were incredibly nice. His wife is from Cincinnati and they were on there way there to celebrate Christmas with her family. They have an Autistic son who he had to attend to while we waited. Good Dad too.

19. BPsycho
    1:04 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

#21 Watch out this is hilarious! Lol

20. Wait a sec...
    1:09 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Matt, didn’t Cal offer Kennedy Meeks the center out of Carolina last week or so?

21. KevinJ
    1:29 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

This is Kevin…yes Kevin on the left w/ the ridiculous hair who wrote the ridiculous letter. #17, I believe I was wearing a hat that day but since I love Elvis and since I was actually in West Side Story (more proof that I was lucky just to TALK to this girl haha) I’ll take that as a compliment

Matt Jones you made my night. As for everybody else I was drinking Diet Coke that day like our fearless leader Mr. Jones and I was trying to be funny with the letter. I believe I succeeded though certainly at my own expense haha

And, for the record even though it was a joke, we simply talked for a bit and had a pic taken. I completley agree with everyone on this page that she is WAY out of my league! haha I don’t want it getting back to this very nice girl anything else was claimed because it was a short simple encounter. Go Cats,

Kevin J

22. Kidd-Gilly
    1:34 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Email Matt.jones……….aka Matt jones classic swipeeeee.

23. KevinJ
    1:34 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

wearing a hat which is why my hair was like that haha but i WILL take 1980’s Johnny Depp any day!

24. UK Snuggy
    2:08 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Okay, so after the fight video and then this “dancing” video I no longer believe that UK fans can make any jokes about Louisville tailgating experiences. In my opinion we look as bad, if not worse at this point.

25. Corporate accounts payable
    2:14 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

This is Mina speaking, please hold.

26. IterwebGangsta
    3:44 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

I don’t really see the point in making fun of our own fans on the computer. Who cares what his hair looks like. If I hung out with her, Id be trying to find her too. Shes beautiful.

Do your thing Kevin. Don’t worry about the haters. Good luck finding her.

Go Big Blue!!!

27. tdogg40330
    5:00 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

yeah, what # 30 just said

I think UK will play Florida close this weekend, I’m hoping anyhow. This UF team
    doesn’t WOW ya with their offense, contain the run and dont turn the ball over.
    Just hope Max can handle the Swamp atmosphere ….. GO CATS !!!!

28. Billy Gillispie
    6:23 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

I hit it off with a bunch of girls in New Orleans too. I don’t know if it was the bourbon talking or just my charm. Can I post pictures of all the girls I want to contact me? Ok how about I just post all of the girls under 25? Need me to narrow the list down some more, ok how about all the girls under 22?

29. Echo 1
    6:48 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Dude has no shot. Zero, but I admire his initiative.

30. RD
    6:48 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Reece – you are one tough dude with a lot of folks pulling for you. We look forward to lots of championships under your watch!

31. orlandoblue
    6:53 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Wants to show her his O face…O, O, O

32. barn
    7:07 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

that guy probably regretted wearing khakis after that dance

33. ksrfan
    7:17 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

#4 I’d say she laughed those off before she was born.

34. HelpOnTheWay
    7:33 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Please, anyone who knows Reese or anyone else diagnosed with a blood or lymphatic cancer,
    be in contact with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in Lexington or Louisville.
    They serve cancer patients and their families in the entire commonwealth, and they
    are extremely helpful in many ways, including matching people with clinical trials,
    financial aid, drug co-payments, patient services and emotional support. I know
    because I too am a survivor, and will always be grateful for their help.

35. UKBlue
    7:35 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

I hope the people in that video are wasted because that is not dancing & what ever they are doing, it is God Awful.

That guy is the perfect example of what Matt talks about, guys should not wear jerseys. Unless that girl is desperate looking for a husband, no way that guy has a chance. No beautiful women wants to look at a guy like this for very long especially a guy that can’t dress & has hair like this guy. Nice camouflage shorts !!

Reese cowboy up, prayers to you & your family.

36. BEAST MODE
    7:57 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Dancing Sarah?

37. Azubuike's Bicep
    8:22 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Is that Jeanine Edwards?

38. Test
    8:31 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Hope shes not married.

39. Adibazz
    8:33 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

That fight gave our student tailgate a bad name? It already sucked.

40. Gillispie's Beer Run
    8:45 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Even though we’ve heard from “Kevin” I’m still not convinced that’s not a picture of two chicks. I see no evidence of that being a dude.

41. Rockfield, KY
    8:50 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Kevin J, well done. I’m sure Tomlin enjoyed your letter. Keep doing your thing and wear your hair however you like.

42. WestWorld
    8:52 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Today’s word of the day – protagonist.

43. CatSinceBirth
    8:54 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Hang in there Reese. A little bump in the road, but you’ll be fine.

44. Kevin
    9:07 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Good luck to you Reese, lots of your fellow blue bloods will be thinking about you the next few months. My family has had a couple bouts with Leukemia now and a friend of ours who is as close as family is going through it too. It is one of the toughest battles to fight and there will be some really hard times ahead, just keep your head high and know that many people have won this fight before and that you will too.

45. Prayers for Reese
    9:15 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Good Luck Reese! My prayers go out to you and your family. If there is one thing that BBN does well it is careing for our own. I am sure that you will have many prayers coming from the entire BBN and God will listen to them.
    After all this is God’s country.

46. zack
    9:36 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Look at the dude in the middle picture with the brandon knight jersey, the short shorts and the old school kicks…dude is a balla.

47. RealCatsFan
    9:38 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Kevin, like the saying goes, “no guts, no glory”. On that point I have to give you credit. The fact is, my lovely wife is way out of my league as well – please don’t tell her. 😀

Prayers and best wishes to our little man Reese. And when St. Patty’s Day rolls around, make sure you donate to the St Baldrick’s event to fight childhood cancer. I have been a “shavee” for going on ten years now. I can think of NO better cause!

48. RealCatsFan
    9:40 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

The young lady in the video appears to have an itch that she can’t reach and is trying to scratch her back.

49. Hilljaklinbeard
    9:41 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Reese, fight through, you have powerful prayers behind you!

And Ty looks to be laying cougar traps. She’s hot, but am I wrong on age difference? Ty, no shot buddy, I can tell by appearance, you couldn’t handle what shes got.

50. Wildcat Blood
    9:49 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

I thought the “man” in the picture trying to find the girl was a lesbian at first!! hahahaha

51. Jax Teller
    9:51 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Between the Office Space reference, 2 freaks getting busy on the dance floor, and the reunited and it feels so good letter, this was an epic News and Views.

52. KyKiller
    10:23 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

why is that dude with my wife?

53. Travis
    10:24 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

She will be uninterested in him. His spelling in unacceptable.

54. 8&Counting
    10:39 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

“Yeah, we’re going to need to talk about your TPS repots.” – Bill Lundbergh is my favorite Bill Lundbergh quote from the movie. My favorite quote is the one about staring at the desk all day and only doing 15 minutes of real work all week.

55. Speaking from experience
    10:44 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Speaking from experience, New Orleans hook-ups are hard to sustain past the weekend. Move on, bruh.

56. Go Deep
    10:44 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

I hope her husband doesn’t see this post….

57. Da Beef
    10:50 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Matt, Gary Cole is 56 today – same as I am.

58. flippy23
    10:53 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

His “lost love” is probably married to a sales guy in Owensboro……the LAST thing she wanted was her picture sent out to the world publicizing her fling weekend……

59. Yabba
    11:03 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

Any football facility announcement needs to be made before National Signing Day. It would be foolish to miss this opportunity to close on any recruits.

60. HAHA, YUP
    11:26 am September 20, 2012 Permalink

#50- Thought the same thing… Even if that was a woman, still out of “its'” league!

61. GatorChomp
    12:49 pm September 20, 2012 Permalink

WHAT??? NO Florida Hate Day????? The last two worked out soooooooooooooooooooo well…….

62. TV Land
    12:53 pm September 20, 2012 Permalink

Hey its that bad actress from that terrible show Whitney on NBC!

63. Man in heat
    1:10 pm September 20, 2012 Permalink

What about the FINE young lady that walks into the end of the dance party video. WOWZERS!

64. Big Blue Coming at You
    1:54 pm September 20, 2012 Permalink

Let me get this straight. You don’t know her name, you don’t have her number and you “got divided” never to see her again? Most people would take the hint that she’s not interested in you. Move on stalker.

65. DIORIO'S PIZZA
    3:38 pm September 20, 2012 Permalink

Just call the Hooker Service you got her from and ask for another “date.” Money talks!!

66. Beatle Bum
    4:13 pm September 20, 2012 Permalink

The picture of the lesbian coupld is sweet!

67. Beatle Bum
    4:14 pm September 20, 2012 Permalink

Whatch you talk’n bout Willis!!! (that Gary Cole man?)

68. Ferd
    2:00 am September 22, 2012 Permalink

Those are both chicks. Kevin is a lezzy.