Game Changer: Nerlens Noel Decides to Move to Class of 2012

noel

I thought Calipari’s decision to fly to Vegas and see Shabazz and Anthony Bennett was the biggest story of tonight, but I was wrong. Late this evening, Nerlens Noel announced to ESPN that he is moving to the Class of 2012. Noel is one of the top 5 players in the 2013 class and potentially one of the best shot blockers to ever come out of high school (that is not hyperbole…he is that good). He has decided to take a number of visits, and since Syracuse and Kentucky have been perceived as his leaders, it is very likely UK will be one of those trips. He tells ESPN that UK, Syracuse, UCONN, UNC, Providence, Florida and Georgetown are his final 7. Not on that list is Louisville, the school he visited in December and a team that has recruited him for quite some time.

If Noel ends up at UK in the Class of 2012, AND Shabazz joins him…well everyone else needs to just saddle up for another year of #1 rankings.

***UPDATE***

ESPNU Top 100 has updated its 2012 rankings to reflect Noel’s reclassification. He is now the No. 1 overall recruit over Shabazz Muhammad.

Article written by Matt Jones

89 Comments for Game Changer: Nerlens Noel Decides to Move to Class of 2012

1. eric
    10:46 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

oh my god…. this would be amazing.

WOW.

2. Walter Sobchak
    10:46 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

wow

3. Coach Cal
    10:50 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

“I challenge you to come to UK and try to break Anthony Davis’ single season shot block record.”

Come on down and do it, big fella

4. Gimli
    10:52 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

The Mines of Moria have been opened!

5. Dandy Andy
    10:52 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Noooooel nooooooel (Christmas caroling voice)

6. lol
    10:54 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

His hair sold me, I want him. #NoHomo

7. Slappy Pantz
    10:54 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Well slap my pantz and call me slappy pantz!

8. Cking98
    10:54 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Wow this could be huge!!!! This kid is seeing what Davis is doing!!! Gotta be a great sign to re-classify. This would be a Jamal Mashburn type get!!!!

9. peaking
    10:55 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

come on down and be the most talked about ball player since A.Davis.you can be part of the biggest thing in college basketball and be part of something special!

10. jon freeman
    11:01 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

if noel comes, I will transfer out of UK

11. Can't wait
    11:02 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

I truly believe we get Noel, Shabbazz, and Bennett. Without a question that is the most balanced class ever. Pure shooting guard in archie, skilled wing in Bazz, smooth wing in Poythress, power player in Bennett, talented multiple year center in Cauley, best center in the class in Noel and a three year pg in harrow. That’s nasty

12. Blueball'n
    11:03 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

How awesome would it be to see Davis and Noel on the same team, I know that’s not gonna b the case but would b CRAZY!!!

13. VinDatUK
    11:03 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Gotta love Kendall Gill high top…or Kid N Play.

14. SKat
    11:08 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Anyone have a link for a replay of last night’s game?

15. SouthBeachWildcat
    11:11 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

wow this would be huge! As much as I want Shabazz, he could stay home in Vegas, play for a top ten UNLV team in front of his friends and family…………average 20 points a game………..and still be the number one pick. It will be hard to get him to move to the other side of the U.S but I will never doubt Cal.

16. John W
    11:13 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

I think in all honesty we’d onle get two out of the three recruits. The 3/4 spots would get a little cramped with shabazz, poythress, Bennett, Noel and cauley.

17. JCPostel
    11:14 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

no one really knows his true height.

18. Blueball'n
    11:18 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

I’ll take Noel over Bazz, we will have plenty of offense but after watching Davis completely change games like he has is crazy!! I think Noel could take right up where Davis leaves!! Go Big Blue

19. daaaang
    11:19 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

@ john w Cauley is a center and poythress should be versatile enough to play 3 or 4, goodwin and bazz could each play 2 or 3. so really it could just be a nonstop onslaught of totally badass basketball

20. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    11:20 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Man. All I can say is BACK-2-BACK

21. Believe blue
    11:22 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Can he shoot a free throw??? I’m not ready to lose my mind over tho kid until I can answer that question.

22. jasonthecaller
    11:23 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

He would really compliment Wiltjer and Hoods games.

23. LexDoc
    11:23 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

PLEASE tell me you all are looking at Little Brother’s site… Hilarious! Go Big Blue!

24. SUPREMECATS
    11:23 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

oh my.

25. bluecat
    11:27 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

probably sees Davis spot opening up and he slides in and picks up where AD leaves off defensively. A monster 2012 class could be on the horizon. Sure lessens my worries some and lessens the pain of seeing AD leave. Come on down young man!!!!

26. MIKE
    11:29 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

maybe him and shabazz have got something going on behind closed doors to come here

27. FrigFullofBeer
    11:31 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Hmmmmm! Kinda explains Derek Willis offer and commit at same position…… Coach Cal will be in New Hampsire soon

28. Yroc53
    11:33 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

I was kinda hoping he would stay in 2013 to make that the biggest monster class ever. But im okay with it just as long as he chooses UK either way.

29. Mack
    11:38 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

I want them all.

30. Pinch 'n' Roll Tactician
    11:40 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

WOW…wow. sigh. wow smfh

31. smooth
    11:42 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

ok i know shabazz is cold, but i would prefer that we get noel. we have a beast sf coming in as it is. Poythress is a great athlete and will not let us down. now we need noel to complete the class and have another stacked team next season. we could also use bennet for a big body down low. we will be good next year if we get both bigs. startin line up harrow, goodwin, poythress, bennett, and noel. go cats #bbn we are #1. i love my cats

32. Cking98
    11:42 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

If I was a betting man, I would say that Cal is trying to create a class that doesn’t exist. He’s in Vegas selling Bazz and Bennett on the possibility of playing with Noel. Noel had to tell Cal, so that’s why he is making the pitch right now.

It could look like this:

Harrow/Teague

Jones
    Kidd Gilchrist

Graduated-transfer
    Miller
    Vargas
    Poole

I don’t see Lamb Teague or Wiltjer going in the first round? Do you?

Maybe bazz is waiting on Lamb. If we don’t get bazz, a Goodwin lamb combo would be deadly.

Maybe this trip is as much about Bennett as anything.

What do you think?

33. mocha
    11:43 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Bazz, Noel, Bennett…..come on down.

34. Cking98
    11:45 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Remember bazz wants to play shooting guard- not small forward.

35. Alex
    11:48 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

I just talked to a guy at McCarthy’s who says Nerlens’
    4th cousin just rented an apartment at Park Plaza.

FWIT

36. baracka
    11:48 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

So is Noel 7′ now?

37. Alex
    11:55 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

With that flat top he will be 16 foot 8 foot 10 foot 2
    by next season.

38. Really
    11:56 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

35–I’m pretty sure most people don’t give a flying F if they live near their 4th cousin.

39. Alex
    11:57 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

38- It was a joke.

40. SagaciousMind
    11:57 pm February 1, 2012 Permalink

Cal has been selling Bazz on the 2 spot saying Lamb will be gone. But with Cal’s offense and defense, it doesnt matter what position you play really. And according to Goodwin he could grow another 3 inches. Noel, Bazz, Bennett, Goodwin, Poythress and Cauley would be a crazy class. And it would only help Cauley goin against a guy like Noel in practice every day.

41. think for a second
    12:03 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

we could let goodwin run point and shabazz run sg. now i dont think bennett is committing yet because hes not sure about jones. that man might come back for his junior year to be honest. so then we are lookin at goodwin, shabazz, poythress, jones or bennett, and noel. then you have wiltjer and cauley for back up bigs. you have hood, harrow, and beckham for back up guards. just throwing this info out because that is a very good posibility. that team would be so loaded that we would be hanging up #9 after hanging up #8 this season.

42. BlueJ
    12:08 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

I wonder if that is why Cal starts Lamb over Miller? So he can tell these guys that lamb will be gone. Miller had played great the past 4 games, then he doesn’t get in the game until 12 minutes left in the first half. I feel that Cal has been unfair to Miller.

43. SagaciousMind
    12:11 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

42, Miller has been getting start minutes even though he hasnt been starting. As for Noel, I do find it funny he’s reclassified after stating he wasnt. I was really hoping to get AD back, but if Noel is reclassifying he must know something we dont, cuz no way he comes if AD is still here…unless Bennett goes somewhere else. I just love that our only problem now days if figured out where these talented guys will get their minutes. But, Cal gets guys who want to play with the best and dont care about starting.

44. tdogg4033011
    12:12 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

42) all 6 players share the playing time, he’s not being unfair, you have
    to have 1 of them on the bench at all times. UK started 11-11 from the field
    vs UT …. why make a substitution with that going on??

45. BlueJ
    12:14 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Miller played about 5 minutes in the first half. That is not starter minutes. I love this team, but I feel that cal has a some sort of loyalty to other guys that is not there for miller.

46. capt. price
    12:16 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

This kid has got UK swagger written all over him. Let’s hope my gut feeling is right.

47. School Counseler
    12:17 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Just how exactly is he able to move up a class? I wish I could’ve skipped a year!

48. tdogg4033011
    12:18 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

45) so, you are one of the crazy UK fans huh??

49. CWCapp2
    12:19 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

This is absolutely HUGE. Noel constantly talks about UK in his interviews and obviously watching Davis in our system has to help. Plus he has the high top fade. I mean come on… We need him lol. Harrow, Goodwin, Shabazz, Poythress, Noel?? That team has championship written all over it. Now, I’m not convinced Shabazz is coming, but if Noel does we may see a change in his tune. We could technically see 7 players leave this year (Miller and Vargas graduating, Jones, Davis, Teague, Lamb, Gillie to the draft) so we have plenty of playing time opening up.

50. cracka
    12:22 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

so how good is jabari parker? if he is ranked ahead of noel and noel is going to be put ahead of shabazz

51. alex
    12:22 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

fab 5 would be nice to get bennett, noel, bazz, then goodwin, poythress. gosh the list goes on and on. UK is amazing for basketball

52. hoop33
    12:33 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Miller plays well off the bench, Lamb simply hasn’t this year. He’s not being unfair at all. Miller gets the same opportunity as everyone else. Whoever did the lineups above, sorry to tell ya, but Teague or Harrow runs the point at all times next yr if both are on the team. Shabazz wanting to play the 2 is meaningless in Cal’s offense. The 2 and 3 do the exact same things on offense. Honestly I think we get Noel, Shabazz, and Bennett. With a starting lineup (if Teague returns) of Harrow, Teague, Shabazz, Bennett, Noel. If Teague leaves then its Harrow, Goodwin, Shabazz, Bennett, Noel. That leaves us with an experienced Wiltjer Beckham Hood trio on the bench. Along with Cauley who although he’ll b a project, would be an upgrade from Eloy. But 4 freshmen starting leaves even more of a learning curve so everyone would have to be patient with them early on

53. SagaciousMind
    12:33 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

45, go back and look at Miller’s through out the games. He has had over 30 minutes in numerous games. Miller plays just as much as Lamb and Jones. As for Noel, I love how most of his teammates said he should go to UK. You know he is watching Davis close. I would almost bet anything he’ll be a Cat.

54. hoop33
    12:33 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

And wow I forgot about poythress lol, what a stacked team

55. SagaciousMind
    12:35 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

52, if Teague and Harrow are out there together, Teague is running the point cuz Harrow shoots the ball a lot better. But, I would bet the would not start together.

56. tdogg4033011
    12:37 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

52) you from Harrodsburg??

57. Cking98
    12:55 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

The key question is who goes pro.
    Lamb? Second round-late first
    Teague- the same
    Wiltjer- no shot unless late second.

I bet this trip is all about Bennett- jones is going pro regardless of what happens down the stretch

54 – yes you forgot about Poythress, and mark it down, he will be in the starting line up from day one, bazz or no bazz.

58. BEST CASE SCENARIO
    12:57 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

starting 5
    1. harrow (i feel he is better than teague)
    2. goodwin
    3.bazz
    4.bennett (it could happen)
    5.Noel
    bench: teague poythress wiltjer caulie hood beckham
    not to mention!! other than those listed we havent got yet we’re still in the mix for:
    amille jefferson, davonte pollard, tony parker

59. Doron says
    12:59 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m gone! yall crazy I love UK but I’m projected in the 1st round everywhere and we just won the national title!

60. think for a second
    1:00 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

how do you know whos going pro and who aint just wondering. noone expected orton to go but he did. noone expected jones and lamb to come back last year but they did. think why bennett hasnt committed because he probably knows that one of ours big men are coming back. just like why do you think noel reclassified, cause he knew one was leaving.

61. think for a second
    1:01 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

58 man ur crazy if you think poythress aint starting just saying.

62. cracka
    1:15 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

cal tells why miller plays less, he always mentions how he doesn’t go for the ball as aggressively as the other guys and it shows in the numbers – rebounds per 40 min: davis – 13.3, gilchrist 9.9, jones 9, miller 4.5, lamb 4.3, teague 3.2

miller should def be outrebounding lamb better than that, he’s bigger than gilchrist … miller has 7 rebounds in the past 6 games, that sucks … don’t get me wrong, i’m not trying to bash the guy, just saying why he gets less pt than some other players

63. Chris
    1:25 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Love his doo.

64. Chris
    1:26 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

And his name…

65. Cking98
    1:29 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

60- the only big we have coming back is Wiltjer. No way anybody else does.

66. Cking98
    1:35 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Check out zags blog and Aaron’s blog!!

67. Hoss
    3:33 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

63- He has such striking features.

68. TAXman
    6:23 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

i heard that there is a family of wild sloths living in his hair.

69. Trevor
    7:01 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

All he needs are some rec specs and those wildcat shorts with the claw marks on the side and we have reached 90’s nostalgia.

70. Eloy the Destroyer
    7:02 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

now thats old school

71. coco
    7:04 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

1-harrow 6-1
    2-goodwin 6-5
    3-shabzz 6-6
    4-benette 6-8
    5-noel 6-11

6-poythss 6-8
    7-wiltjer 6-9
    8-cauley6-11

*if we win the national championship teague and doron are gone.

72. ThisGuy
    7:38 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Kenny Walker called and he’d like his hair cut back!!!

73. ThisGuy
    7:39 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

74. teemoney12
    8:11 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

I find it funny that everyone automatically assumes the guy committed to Kentucky as soon as he reclassifies haha

75. Cliver
    8:21 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

72 – No, Kenny Walker called and officially surrendered the ‘do. Noel owns that look.

76. Don
    8:33 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

I find it funny that you follow our recruiting and take the time to systematically evaluate our perceived “assumptions” into one clear and absolute statement.

#creepystalkingperson.com

77. Don
    8:36 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Where’s than rantard Hoo Hoo? LMAO at IU free fallin’! #posersatIU

78. FeedUp
    8:41 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Sure Cal likes this guy, but does anybody know what Evan Daniels thinks about him?

79. Cat Head
    8:55 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Giggity

80. GCWildcat23
    9:02 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Man I hope we get him, if not for just the hair alone!

81. Paul
    9:04 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

Kid called…he is looking for Play.

82. Some Guy
    9:12 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

79… Exactly

83. Some Guy
    9:14 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

This has Cal written all over it.. the man is a recruiting genius.

84. Lou eaton
    9:26 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

We gotta hope that he doesn’t just want to stay close to home so his family can watch his games like some players…this is difficult to overcome especially if Syracuse sneaks past us this year…just a reality check.

85. 8 now, 9 next year
    10:16 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

On Tuesday Coach Cal said “Well, I had one already. I had Marcus Camby, so that’s twice in a lifetime now, and I’m hoping for three and four…” The VERY NEXT DAY Noel reclassifies to 2012. Coincidence? I think not….

86. Cking98
    10:49 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

84-Syracuse has Coleman, Christmas, and Melo already. Melo won’t get drafted.
    Looks great for the cats

87. Ray
    11:21 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

FWIW Last night on ESPNU they said that UCONN and Georgetown are the top 2 for Nerlens Noel

88. Scotty Sharp
    11:49 am February 2, 2012 Permalink

86… Melo won’t get drafted? He’s a late first-rounder, at worst. And now with the academic issues he’s having, you can bet your bottom dollar he’ll be keeping his name in the draft. Kid has ridiculous upside – just look at how much he’s improved in less than a year just by getting into playing shape. I hate Cuse, but sky is the limit for Fab Melo once an NBA club gets a hold of him.

89. Cking98
    12:37 pm February 2, 2012 Permalink

Dude they have Coleman coming in already, they have Christmas. Melo is going to be a flop.
    Noel is coming to Kentucky