From the KSR Vault: Bobby Perry on Kentucky/Louisville

Over the next few days, we’re going to revisit some classic UK/UofL posts in KSR history. Prepare yourself–there are a lot. First up: from 2008, former Cat Bobby Perry’s views on the rivalry.

First and foremost, I would like to thank all of Big Blue Nation for their support, love and loyalty through my four years as a wildcat and the year and a half since my graduation. I think it if fitting I write my first blog on the eve of the greatest rivalry in all of sports. On a cold December day in 2001 is when I saw my first Louisville vs. Kentucky basketball game. It was Rick Pitino’s first trip back to Rupp Arena since he left for the Boston Celtics. And boy was it a bad one. It wasn’t much of a game from what I remember. But one thing I do remember is the excitement in the faces of the 24,000 fans in Rupp Arena rooting for their Wildcats. I remember I saw something there that day that I have never seen at a UNC vs. NC State game or and UNC vs. Wake Forest game of even a UNC vs. Duke game. I knew there was something special about this place the moment I stepped foot in Rupp Arena. I knew this rivalry was special and I knew that day I wanted to be a part of it.

Everywhere I go I get asked this question. Who was your favorite opponent to play against? Without hesitation my reply would be, Louisville. Why? Because I love it when we are in Freedom Hall and we beat them on their home floor. There is no better feeling than going into someone’s house and beating them in front of their fans! Also, because every year we beat Louisville it fell on or around Mr. Keightley’s birthday. And to see the smile on that great man’s face when Patrick Sparks nailed three straight free throws to close the deal my sophomore year was exhilarating. Running Back to the locker room, dancing and screaming with him has to be one of the most memorable moments of my life. This is a man who has been front and center on NCAA Championships and every time we beat the Cards he is a kid again. It can’t get much better than that people.

Folks, everyone knows in rivalry games records go out the window, predictions don’t mean anything and rankings couldn’t be any more irrelevant. That is the special thing about a true rivalry. It doesn’t matter who the players are on the field or court. The only thing anyone cares about that day is the name on the front of the Jersey. Kentucky fans rooting for the blue and white and Louisville fans rooting for the red and white and sometimes black (make up your mind, please!). This is the greatest rivalry in sports, I am honored and privileged to have been part of something so special.

17 Comments for From the KSR Vault: Bobby Perry on Kentucky/Louisville

1. me
    1:48 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

That…was…awesome!

2. Sheray Thomas
    2:18 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Bobby is the good verson of me.

3. Cat89
    2:28 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Ditto #1) Great read.

4. SomeoneFromSpace
    2:36 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

God, I love being a UK fan.

5. chief_cat
    2:39 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

6. Twitter Account DENIED
    2:52 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Everyone says we will get beat badly by UL, but I just don’t see it. I think it will be a close, hard fought game with UK getting a win…. again.

7. Snl1960
    2:57 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Will Rick pitino retire when he looses 5 straight. We will own you tard fans.

8. lexslamman
    3:05 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

I don’t care what people say, I would trade the 2012 championship away to have Bill Keightly back on UK’s sidelines.

9. That Guy
    3:07 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Worst UK starter since Saul Smith hands down. Chuck Hayes was good so then we decided to recruit all bad 6’4″ power forward wannabes like him. Awful memories of him and Orbjut and Allene. What bad teams.

10. Tubby gone
    3:23 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

9) Perry was 6’7 not 6’4. I didn’t like his play much either but he was 10 times the player Saul was. Tubby tried to put Perry in a leading role and he just wasn’t that good. He was a serviceable player and all things considered had a ok career at UK.
    No way he was the worst starter since Saul. Tubby had some duds his last 5 years. Plus Tubby left BCG with a horrible team! Sherray, Mark Coury,and Sagri where bad. Mike Porter is the worst player to start at UK. I would go far enough to say Porter was the worst scholareship player EVER at UK. Saul sucked but he did ok in ’98 as a role player comIng off the bench.
    NC and Duke both offered to let Perry Walk-on. Tubby gave him a offer while Perry was a junior. No wonder he tanked our program. Tubby is the.most over rated coach on all os college basketball. He is still making a livening off Shepard getting hot at the right time and Kansas choking annually.

11. jack cruse
    3:39 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Great post #10…Right on!

12. Dave Hester
    3:43 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Joe Crawford, Jodie Meeks, Ramel Bradley, Randolph Morris, Rajon Rondo, Patrick Patterson, Kelenna Azubukie. Yeah thsoe are some bad recruits. Yes I understand Tubby did have some pretty horseshit recruits like Orbzut, Porter…But to say Tubby couldn’t recruit is such a stupid statement made by UK fans.

13. Tubby Recruiting Tragedy
    4:50 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

#12 – Dave Hester – Here’s the truth on your beloved Tubby recruiting tragedy… (Kentucky calibur players marked with an asterisk)

Class of 1997:
    ……. Todd Tackett
    Class of 1999:
    * ….. Keith Bogans
    ……. Marvin Stone
    Class of 2000:
    Erik Daniels
    * ….. Marquis Estill (KY boy)
    * ….. Gerald Fitch
    * ….. Chuck Hayes
    Class of 2002:
    * ….. Kelenna Azubuike
    ……. Antwain Barbour
    ……. Bernard Cote
    ……. Preston LeMaster
    ……. Ravi Moss (with the walkon & eventual scholarship as a Kentucky boy)
    ……. Brandon Stockton
    ……. Perry Stevenson
    Class of 2007:
    ……. Alex Legion
    * ….. Patrick Patterson
    ……. A.J. Stewart
    ……. Mike Williams

The Numbers Over 10 Years…
    UK Worthy Players: 12
    Not: 32

14. mudcreekmark
    7:22 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Tubby’s recruiting was the same every year. He would go after the top players in the fall, then after everyone turned him down he would sign any player with a pulse who would say yes to him in the spring. Cliff Hawkins actually recruited himself. Tubby missed on the top 5 or 6 point guards that year and Hawkins got in touch with UK and that is the only reason we got him. I wish someone would list the rivals ratings on the above recruits. It would be interesting. I know Cal has signed more top ten players his first year than Tubby did his entire tenure.

15. Jimbo
    9:36 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

That’s the kind of person who represents what UK basketball is all about.

16. Tubby Recruiting Tragedy
    9:47 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

With Rivals Rankings – Unfortunately, Rivals nor Scout list their rankings prior to 2002. We can guess from memory… which I did with [] square brackets. If you see any you think are misranked please share your opinion.

Class of 1997: (Rivals Star Rating) [Guess From Memory Rating]
    Class of 2001:
    ….. Josh Carrier [3]
    ….. Rashaad Carruth [4]
    ….. Adam Chiles [3]
    * …. Chuck Hayes [4]
    Class of 2002:
    * …. Kelenna Azubuike (4)
    ….. Antwain Barbour (4)
    * …. Derrick Jasper (4)
    * …. Jodie Meeks (4)
    ….. Michael Porter (2)
    ….. Perry Stevenson (4)
    Class of 2007:
    ….. Alex Legion (4)
    * …. Patrick Patterson (5)
    ….. A.J. Stewart (3)
    ….. Mike Williams (2)

The Numbers Over 10 Years…
    UK Worthy Players: 16
    Not: 32

17. Dave Hester
    11:44 pm December 27, 2012 Permalink

Yeah I’m not saying Tubby is a great coach. But to say he is overrated is not right. Yeah he didn’t go back to the Final 4 after 98, but his 2002 team and 2005 team were absolute blast to watch!